Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Donations:
    $420.00
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikedRocker View Post
    Part of the steam link system that I've been working on actually has a forum rewards program so where we can set it up to do stuff like this. Can this check the validity of 10 post? No, you can't really do that. You can set up a system of variables to check that they have done more than just spam post however.
    If you got that part, I can do the variable (will work outside of the forum but pull what it needs from the database to do it and send it back) - right after the project i'm on here with, August likely can look at this.

2. Thanked by 1 user:
    Tweezy (8 Jun 2015)

SG Addict
    can we lower the quality post count down to like 1 or 2? i still haven't made 10

this sounds cool tho, could get a lot of people on here

* Have a baby with me!
    Donations:
    $35.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Octa View Post
    Not to speak for Pan or anything here, but I know he wants to keep the download for the servers to a minimum, and I tend to agree with him. I'm not saying its a bad idea, but you have to keep in mind, if the download times get too long, it will hurt us instead of help us. Adding skins for everything we can think of isn't a good idea, so we have to consider: Is this something that will actually help?

In this case, I think it could bring people onto the forums, but with the post count at only 10, I think we would have a lot of people joining, spamming for 10 posts, then never coming back
    I agree with Octa on this, people dont want to wait forever to connect to a server. I dont know how many skins we currently have on our servers, but keeping everything to the most basic like: Registered Skin - Subscriber Skin - Admin Skin - And maybe one more. that leaves us with 6-8 skins in total maybe, if there is one version of the skin for each team. How much extra this is to download i have no idea, but im pretty sure the percentage of the players who would register to get a skin is VERY high!

Forgot about the store, where theres probably a few more skins :/
    Last edited by floffypus; 8 Jun 2015 at 03:15pm.

YOU CAN VOTE ONCE EVERY 24 HOUR!

Subscriber
    Donations:
    $30.00
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedZealot View Post
    If you got that part, I can do the variable (will work outside of the forum but pull what it needs from the database to do it and send it back) - right after the project i'm on here with, August likely can look at this.
    This could be done automatically using most of the database and functions that the forum already use.

Could possibly setup two different tables that house two different things about the user:

table1
    UserID | Username | MonthlyPass |

table2 (Post lookup table / membership table - what ever people call them these days)
    UserID | Post |

The UserID on table1 is a primary key - this is the uniqueID the user on the forum gets setup with when they register
    Username - Just the username of the person, might not even need this really
    MonthlyPass - Bool value that gets set to true / false is the user has met the monthly post count - this can get searched for in the server

UserID on table2 - This is a Foreign key that links to the UserID in table 1
    Post - House one post the user has done (Can use the autospam thing to make sure the post is worthwhile before entering into the database)

Each time the user does a successful post, this gets added as a new field in table2. Could have an automatic script running which checks the postcount of the user when they next visit the forums - if it is equal or greater then 10, then tick that monthlyPass to yes.

Do able...

6. Thanked by 1 user:
    WickedZealot (8 Jun 2015)

Banned

Donations:
    $420.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezy View Post
    This could be done automatically using most of the database and functions that the forum already use.

Could possibly setup two different tables that house two different things about the user:

table1
    UserID | Username | MonthlyPass |

table2 (Post lookup table / membership table - what ever people call them these days)
    UserID | Post |

The UserID on table1 is a primary key - this is the uniqueID the user on the forum gets setup with when they register
    Username - Just the username of the person, might not even need this really
    MonthlyPass - Bool value that gets set to true / false is the user has met the monthly post count - this can get searched for in the server

UserID on table2 - This is a Foreign key that links to the UserID in table 1
    Post - House one post the user has done (Can use the autospam thing to make sure the post is worthwhile before entering into the database)

Each time the user does a successful post, this gets added as a new field in table2. Could have an automatic script running which checks the postcount of the user when they next visit the forums - if it is equal or greater then 10, then tick that monthlyPass to yes.

Do able...
    Yes with Spiked part that can shoot to the Steam so skins become active based on that

Server Administrator
    If you really want to keep downloads low, could just allow them to use any CT/T skin instead of just being locked the map's current skin. Not a great incentive, but it's something.

SG Addict
    Donations:
    $10.00
    Quote Originally Posted by floffypus View Post
    I agree with Octa on this, people dont want to wait forever to connect to a server. I dont know how many skins we currently have on our servers, but keeping everything to the most basic like: Registered Skin - Subscriber Skin - Admin Skin - And maybe one more. that leaves us with 6-8 skins in total maybe, if there is one version of the skin for each team. How much extra this is to download i have no idea, but im pretty sure the percentage of the players who would register to get a skin is VERY high!

Forgot about the store, where theres probably a few more skins :/
    Well it's always nice to have downloads to a bare minimum with the load that it gives to bandwidth and loading times, some people prefer to it over everything.
    I wouldn't leave the requirements too low for anything that's "bonus" or similar, just would have spammers come in indeed. Registering, posting a few times and then going inactive just won't do and that should be self-explanatory reason enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlefiish View Post
    If you really want to keep downloads low, could just allow them to use any CT/T skin instead of just being locked the map's current skin. Not a great incentive, but it's something.
    I second this, having the games original skins would make a small difference, but a difference which could drag in some attention. Myself for one, i would enjoy having the choice to select different looks at times.. Same skins sort of start to bore you quite quickly too. :P

"Just let me bhop!"
    "NO!"
    "I'll do it anyway!"
    "- X *Shot* Maxwelldon -"

Subscriber
    Donations:
    $30.00
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedZealot View Post
    Yes with Spiked part that can shoot to the Steam so skins become active based on that
    Just been thinking about it, don't even need the first table, just add another column on the user table that has MonthyPass, then at the start of each month cycle run through each user and set it to false!

11. Thanked by 1 user:
    WickedZealot (9 Jun 2015)

SG Addict
    Donations:
    $155.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezy View Post
    Just been thinking about it, don't even need the first table, just add another column on the user table that has MonthyPass, then at the start of each month cycle run through each user and set it to false!
    Can we make this Brit TA now?

SG Addict
    The idea of "Get people more involved on the forums by giving them something" was what multiple forum ranks was for. Since people used to have our SG ranks in the game servers. Now it seems that isn't as big a deal as it used to be, however I don't think offering different skins for registering on the forums would do any good. Plus it overloads when we have too many.
    Last edited by Drox; 9 Jun 2015 at 03:43pm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List