View Poll Results: Should we change the MG server?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, keep MG the same (both Multigames and course)

11 35.48%
  • Yes, Make it course oriented

2 6.45%
  • Yes, Make it Multigames oriented

17 54.84%
  • Other (explain in your post)

1 3.23%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Donations:
    $110.00

Should MG be changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Brown View Post
    The issue with the server at the moment IMO is that we have a few groups of people that play for different reasons. First you have a group of people that play for the multigame and dm maps, then you have the people that play for the course maps and a minority that play both.

If we're playing a multigame map (like swag) we'll get a load of people joining to play that and the population will start to build up, but then as soon as a course map gets voted for a lot of them will leave because they don't like course maps. Same thing happens if we're playing a course map, the population will build up, then a multigame/dm map gets voted for and everyone leaves again. So we get stuck in this cycle because we have a large variety of maps but the majority of people only play for one particular type of map.

If we're going to try to grow the population of the server we really need to just focus on one of those groups because otherwise neither will have a reason to keep playing.
    I was wondering if others share this opinion and, if so, would they want it to me Multigames or course focused. Anyone's input is welcome. I'll also be talking to bread/prez about it, but they are welcome to also post here.

Banned

Donations:
    $25.00
    How long will people stay interested in a server that only has course maps? I don't see that working out unless there would be some incentive to keep playing other than getting a top time. Liam has a point, but I don't think cutting out multigames or course maps is the solution.

Banned

Donations:
    $110.00
    Quote Originally Posted by heartless View Post
    How long will people stay interested in a server that only has course maps? I don't see that working out unless there would be some incentive to keep playing other than getting a top time. Liam has a point, but I don't think cutting out multigames or course maps is the solution.
    I in no way intend to cut out all of either kind of map, I suppose I should have stated that. However, it is possible to have more of one kind of map than the other, which, I believe at the moment, we have quite a bit more multigames maps than anything else.

Personally, I would rather keep the server the way it is(Or i suppose balance it out). But I just wanted to see where everyone stood.

Subscriber
    Donations:
    $92.00
    I think it should be a mix of both, because course is genious to try filling the server. mainly for me. i can enjoy being alone for an hou untill people come on trying to beat course maps, knowing not everyone is watching me fail miserably. because playing swag multi is boring as f with 5 people..

thats just my opinion though

Server Administrator
    Donations:
    $45.00
    the only problem is that since course maps are harder for your average new player who might not stick around to try and beat it because hey are not invested in the server this would cause the population to drop. maybe provide some form of reward/incentive for beating the course maps. maybe add achievements that way you dont have to give anything that would have an actual effect on the way the server runs but would still give people a sense of satisfaction and something to work towards.

Banned

Donations:
    $25.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Octa View Post
    I in no way intend to cut out all of either kind of map, I suppose I should have stated that. However, it is possible to have more of one kind of map than the other, which, I believe at the moment, we have quite a bit more multigames maps than anything else.

Personally, I would rather keep the server the way it is(Or i suppose balance it out). But I just wanted to see where everyone stood.
    Yeah I appreciate that MG is being looked into, it's my favorite server by far. I don't think the problem lies in the maps that we currently have. If anything it could be the lack of maps - which is actively being worked on now it seems with the suggestions and porting going on.

Personally I would look at other options to populate the server, like a member of the month system where one of the main factors is server activity. From my experience there's usually a group of people online who would be willing to play - but hesitate to join because the server would be close to empty. A system where people can show they're willing to play (not sure if this is possible trough a steam group) without actually having to join the server by themselves would be a good addition.
    Last edited by heartless; 11 Apr 2015 at 08:24am.

Banned

Donations:
    $110.00
    Quote Originally Posted by heartless View Post
    Yeah I appreciate that MG is being looked into, it's my favorite server by far. I don't think the problem lies in the maps that we currently have. If anything it could be the lack of maps - which is actively being worked on now it seems with the suggestions and porting going on.

Personally I would look at other options to populate the server, like a member of the month system where one of the main factors is server activity. From my experience there's usually a group of people online who would be willing to play - but hesitate to join because the server would be close to empty. A system where people can show they're willing to play (not sure if this is possible trough a steam group) without actually having to join the server by themselves would be a good addition.
    A member of the month was being worked on, but I havent heard anything about it since potatoes stepped down, as I think he was the one working on it.

As far as other motivation to join the server, I am still waiting on a store pluggin, no word as of yet when that will be ready.

I would have to ask that people who want to play MG try to populate the server themselves. If you dont want to sit in an empty server, invite your friends. Add Vick, he is supposed to do that stuff. I am going to try to start playing more myself also.

I'll look into the possibility of having another big event also, but I don't believe that will help things much.

Once again, I made this thread to see if Liams post was an opinion shared by a lot of people. I am trying to find ways to steady out the population. Right now, I'm banking a lot on the store pluggin, but it seems to be at a bit of a standstill (not trying to point fingers).

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by phantom153 View Post
    the only problem is that since course maps are harder for your average new player who might not stick around to try and beat it because hey are not invested in the server this would cause the population to drop. maybe provide some form of reward/incentive for beating the course maps. maybe add achievements that way you dont have to give anything that would have an actual effect on the way the server runs but would still give people a sense of satisfaction and something to work towards.
    I like the direction that you're going, but I'm not sure what the result would be. I suppose we could give the people in number 1 slots some kind of tag or something. Once the store is out, I'm sure something like this could be implemented, but I'm not 100% sure what I would like to do about it. Of course, between the like 4 of us running the server, I'm sure we could figure something out.
    Last edited by Octa; 11 Apr 2015 at 08:56am.

Server Administrator
    Donations:
    $45.00
    maybe link the achivements to titles. so if u say beat a course map u get the achievement on the right course and a title to go with it beat 5 course maps get the achievement course master and the title course master. idk just an idea didnt know if u were doing a shop or not but if u are maybe give out some of the currency for beating the course map the more difficult the map the more u get.

SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom153 View Post
    maybe link the achivements to titles. so if u say beat a course map u get the achievement on the right course and a title to go with it beat 5 course maps get the achievement course master and the title course master. idk just an idea didnt know if u were doing a shop or not but if u are maybe give out some of the currency for beating the course map the more difficult the map the more u get.
    I like this idea. And if we make MG one side or the other, then we would loose a lot of population for either. And if we did change the map, what would we do about maps like Ski Mountain and Smee Tower, which kills and populates the server?
    【=◈︿◈=】

TTT's #1 Rdmer and Hacker
    Personally,I feel that MG should be multigames.As the server has been dead for a while, I seen an increase of players when we are playing maps such as ski, or something. I feel that course maps kill the server as half of them are broken.

11. Thanked by 1 user:
    Black Rain (11 Apr 2015)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

User Tag List