Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    SG Addict

Why play LoL over DotA 2? *Serious Question*

Just let it be known, I'm not trying to start a flame war comparing Dota 2 to LoL, but I just would like to know some reasons why everyone here seems to play LoL and not too many people play Dota 2 here.

Reasons I play Dota 2 over LoL:

-More active competitive scene
    -Higher prize pool tournaments (TI4 had a prizepool of over 10 million)
    -All the heroes/champions are free from the beginning
    -The graphics are pretty awesome
    -Rapidly growing playerbase that's not managed by Riot

This is a serious question and I would just like to know some reasons why you all stick with LoL.

With no power, comes no responsibility.

SG Addict
    My friends play LoL > I like playing games with my friends > I play LoL.

Probably the same logic with most people in the community.

SG Addict
    Donations:
    $5.00
    >All of my friends play LoL
    >I'm x100 more familiar with champions/items/abilities in LoL than I am in DotA
    >Learning Curve is easier for LoL (apparently)
    >No legions of Russians
    >Sweet, Sweet Phreak
    >And as of recent,

I play both, it's just none of my colleagues play DotA, so I have no real push to play, because it isn't as fun playing alone in my opinion. I either get flamed for not understanding enough or I get yelled at in Russian.
    Last edited by Intelligence; 1 Mar 2015 at 08:28pm.

4. Thanked by 1 user:
    Extreme Potatoes (1 Mar 2015)

Noodles <3
    Garbage players on both games. Fin.

Can't be scratched!
    Donations:
    $20.00
    I felt gameplay and graphics were superior in dota2, but due to my RL w/kids, school, etc. I can't commit to the style of gameplay where I screw over my team if I have to leave mid round... so I stopped playing either.

They recently added pay for play features to DOTA2 in the last tournament that kind ruin the whole competitive side as well...

I've never been a fan of LoL I personally liked DOTA2 better, that being said most people will land in one camp or the other and most will go where their friends play. Either way you'll find that SG has groups that play both.

Frag the weak, hurdle the dead!

Noodles <3
    If I could change, I'd go back to Dota 2. Too far deep in League of Legends to turn back lel.

8. Thanked by 1 user:
    Lucid (4 Mar 2015)

Banned

Donations:
    $110.00
    Quote Originally Posted by xDoodles View Post
    If I could change, I'd go back to Dota 2. Too far deep in League of Legends to turn back lel.
    Pretty much this. I only every tried dota 2 once, and I ended up just going back to league to play with my friends

Banned

Donations:
    $15.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Just let it be known, I'm not trying to start a flame war comparing Dota 2 to LoL, but I just would like to know some reasons why everyone here seems to play LoL and not too many people play Dota 2 here.

Reasons I play Dota 2 over LoL:

-More active competitive scene
    -Higher prize pool tournaments (TI4 had a prizepool of over 10 million)
    -All the heroes/champions are free from the beginning
    -The graphics are pretty awesome
    -Rapidly growing playerbase that's not managed by Riot
    This is a serious question and I would just like to know some reasons why you all stick with LoL.
    1. far from fact.
    2. Who cares? not like you or anyone else here is gonna see that money. not sure why that should effect what game you choose to play.
    3. Champ hype is real. people love paying for things that are new and look nice, fact. Lots of good deals too.[I'd rather pay for champs/skins than in game items, ffs] It also gives them more money for future development of champions.
    4. Graphics equally as good and skins are UH-mazing + always improving because people unload their wallets to riot.
    5. Leagues player base is bigger. "I don't like this game because its owned by the company of the game I don't like".....really?

Here's a few facts:
    As of January 2014, over 67 million people play League of Legends per month, 27 million per day, and over 7.5 million concurrently during peak hours.

Dota 2 has become the most actively played game on Steam, with daily peaks of over 800,000 concurrent players.

League is the most watched game on Twitch virtually everyday for as I have bothered to look.[confirmed later when I bothered to google harder.]

And its only gotten better.

Riots worth over half a billion, WITH A B, dollars. ~630 million as of 2013. [probably more now]

So here's why I like LoL more than Dota 2:
    1. As everyone has said, all my friends play it.
    2. It has more players, and a user friendly set up. Dota 2 does not.
    3. It has more advertisement, more hype, its mainstream. I don't see Dota 2 as main stream.
    4. It has a less competitive/try hard attitude to it. This allows for more players and a more fluid player base. In Dota 2 its like jumping into this awkward hardcore off the books game from day one.
    5. Dota 2 is nothing more than another cash cow from our man Gabe at valve.
    6. I find LoL to be more balanced, and less "this guy just one shot you"
    7. Riot is a strong company with a clear directive, strong leadership structure, and great public recognition/exposure. More than I can say for valve.

Lets be honest here, we're comparing two evils, two MOBAs, both with downsides and upsides in the game and community. Myself and others simply choose to pick the more publicized game with more players and money[spent on expansion], not to mention a game that's been around for longer [I don't consider Dota 2 a continuation of Dota 1]. I don't find Dota 2 to be a contender in the MOBA world honestly, its the hardcore ugly stepsister to LoL and any other MOBA that tries to make it into the lime light.

Blizzards new MOBA might have the potential to stand up to LoL, who knows.

The only thing Dota 2 has going for it is that its "more competitive" and that it throws more money at its fucking tournaments. First off, the big teams on LoL make such an astronomical amount of money from sponsors if they become a big team, I don't think they give a fuck + they get TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES FOR A LIVING. Secondly the only reason that Dota 2 has that much money is because of these so called markets that Valve has put in all their fucking games, consisting of piss poor odds, double taxes, and excessively high priced items. Absolutely ridiculous if ask me, at least LoL skin prices are consistent.

ehhh I know you didn't wanna start a fight, but I despise Dota 2, and always find it funny when Dota 2 players wonder why the bigger, louder, and more mainstream game is the popular one....
    Last edited by BoM; 2 Mar 2015 at 01:37am.

11. Thanked by 1 user:
    Mudkip™ (2 Mar 2015)

r00d b*****

Spoiler

13. Thanked by 1 user:
    Intelligence (2 Mar 2015)

SG Addict

Quote Originally Posted by BoM View Post

ehhh I know you didn't wanna start a fight, but I despise Dota 2, and always find it funny when Dota 2 players wonder why the bigger, louder, and more mainstream game is the popular one....
    I couldn't tell from the post. I don't think most dota2 players wonder that at all. Cod is more popular than CS, it's more friendly to noobs. Same with Dota.

Anyway to give the other side of the coin, i play dota2 because i find it a far more balanced competitive game. Which is to be expected from a game that has been out for 10+ years.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

User Tag List