Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Server Administrator
    because kennen

Quote Originally Posted by Troll
    oh and apparently the four of us is a "troll group" according to potatoes. have you seen what neptune fishey tsuna bork and rosa do? Yeah I know you have and what do you do about it? Nothing

SG Addict
    why does it matter how much TI4's prize pool was lmao. Nobody here is ever going to even be in TI so who cares. Also, the league competitive scene is way bigger than dota's. I'd say probably about half the people who watch TI don't even know wtf they're looking at they just think it's fun to watch with friends. League is a far bigger game and you complaining that riot owns it makes absolutely no sense.

Banned

Donations:
    $15.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Game Freak View Post
    I don't think most dota2 players wonder that at all. Cod is more popular than CS, it's more friendly to noobs. Same with Dota.
    Did i say that? no. Did he wonder that? yes. Have others I've seen question that? yes. Cod is only more popular because its on console too. If league is more friendly to noobs, then I guess I'd rather play with the noobs.

SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Just let it be known, I'm not trying to start a flame war comparing Dota 2 to LoL
    But what kind of an answer are you expecting? Nothing someone says will change your mind,you already know the reasons it is pointless to ask.

It's like me asking you why do you prefer Coke over Pepsi

Server Administrator
    Donations:
    $45.00
    i play league because all my friends play league and ive played it to long and just cant adjust to Dota 2 even though ive tried.

SG Addict

Quote Originally Posted by BoM View Post
    Did i say that? no. Did he wonder that? yes. Have others I've seen question that? yes. Cod is only more popular because its on console too. If league is more friendly to noobs, then I guess I'd rather play with the noobs.
    Thats a lot of questions but i'll answer by saying. Cod is more popular because it is very easy and appeases to a young audience, LoL is exactly like that very easy and everybody can understand whats happening. Ofcourse its more mainstream. I understand that you would prefer such a thing, not everybody has time to learn a game like Dota. to each their own.

Baghdad ass up
    Donations:
    $566.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Game Freak View Post
    Thats a lot of questions but i'll answer by saying. Cod is more popular because it is very easy and appeases to a young audience, LoL is exactly like that very easy and everybody can understand whats happening. Ofcourse its more mainstream. I understand that you would prefer such a thing, not everybody has time to learn a game like Dota. to each their own.
    This is actually inaccurate. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is more popular, it has a higher concurrent playerbase and viewed substantially more than Call of Duty.
    http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/ar...ular-call-duty

TL;DR: Your arguments about more Dota2 being more challenging or skilled doesn't make it the better game, it's a pointless and rather ignorant remark.
    ======================
    You guys are confusing with "More difficult" with "Better". Simply making something more difficult does not make it better than another game. I have played Flash games that I could never beat in my life that are basically pointless games, it doesn't mean they're better than League of Legends because of their level of difficulty.

For some, complexity is what makes Dota2 better, and therefore take an elitist stance of "My game is more challenging, therefore it is better". When in reality it is not. There have been many Reddit threads regarding Dota2 players going to League and playing it and saying how easy or dumbed down it is. I have yet to see a thread that says "High elo Dota2 player here, just got Challenger in a week" or anything of the sort. As far as I know, no Dota2 high elo player has even gotten to high Diamond and made a thread talking about it, they get to about Gold-Plat based off knowledge of MOBA's and understanding opponents, but don't climb higher due to lacking individual champion mechanics and playstyles. Unless they all literally just quit after playing for awhile and stay with Dota2.

A prime example is myself. A fair majority will say that CS:GO/CS:S is more challenging and difficult than CoD. I am rather good at CS, and I do pretty well at CoD, however I do substantially less well against opponents who are as competent at CoD as I am at CS, simply due to them having a deeper understanding of the game.

8. Thanked by 2 users:
    Lucid (4 Mar 2015), mapper (3 Mar 2015)

SG Regular
    Donations:
    $35.00
    There are many reasons that most people (me included) play League over Dota 2. For me it comes down to 3 things.

1. The controls and overall playability of the game feel so much better in League. LoL has a much stronger "battle arena" feel compared to Dota which feels more like a RTS. Being able to lock the screen to your player and only having to control your one champion makes you feel like you are actually playing as them instead of giving them commands. Also, I always feel much clunkier in Dota doing almost everything including movement and auto attacking.

2. Aesthetically the game is so much more pleasing to the player. The HUD doesn't take up half the screen and while technically the graphics in Dota might be "better" they don't actually look better. The colors and designs of the HUD, champions, map, etc all come together so much nicer in LoL. Also, I like the skin method of F2P better than the customization in Dota.

3. What will probably keep me from ever leaving League is the amazing community. Of course the player base is full of shitters like in all games, but there are so many great personalities that stream, play as pros, or act as casters/analysts. The pro league scene is much more enjoyable and feels more professional/sports-like than the Dota scene.

What we can't judge a game based off of are things like meaningless difficulties, ambiguities, and difficulty to get into. Because unless you wanna stare in the mirror jerking yourself off to how fucking 1337 you are that shit is just bullshit.
    You're asking questions about matters... BUT WHAT ABOUT ANTI MATTER?
    -Wicked 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjupwwZo-yw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtNoPP8yYic

SG Addict

Donations:
    $1.00
    Although I do agree that CS:GO is much more popular than COD, it's kind of silly to use a statistic that's based on twitch when twitch is relatively new to console technology. (Also it is silly to say that DOTA2 players would make an announcement saying they got challenger/diamond in League considering a lot of top tier players moved over to League of Legends from DOTA1/HoN)

@GF
    It's definitely true that DOTA 2 has a much higher learning curve than League. Any experienced DOTA2 player will most likely be able to step into League and get ranked Gold right off the bat. However, you have to understand that after getting past the hump of crappy players in both games, the difficulty levels out, because you are playing against people and not robots. For example I could say table tennis is an easy thing to learn, yet I won't be able to just pick it up and automatically go into the competitive scene.

@Everyone Else
    That being said, I do prefer DOTA 2 to League of Legends, not because of any technicalities, but because the complex way the game is built, to me, creates more variable gameplay. Honestly, most league games at equal skill level aren't really determined by the way you play if you are consistent, but rather the compositions of the teams picked at the beginning of the game. Of course, picks also matter to an extent in DOTA 2, but it has built in mechanics that you can take advantage of if you play well to sort of alleviate that. For example, in league of legends if I draft Tryndamere and the enemy picks Nasus, I'm pretty much fucked in lane with only two options: Either early Jungle 24/7 camp (which can also be countered by enemy jungle camp so it's kind of irrelevant), or lane swaps from my team which can also be countered by enemy lane swaps. If played right it just turns into a back and forth game with the enemy team until I end up getting dived at tower with Nasus having 3/4th of his health left.

However, presented with the same situation if DOTA 2, there are many more options presented to me to be able to sort of not make the pick as bad. If I were in the same situation of Tryndamere v. Nasus in DOTA 2, I could buy a shadow blade to stealth/run away when I feel overwhelmed, I can have my team teleport in to punish overaggressive play, I could build a BKB if I got an early advantage and straight up want to 1v1 him, teammate can get a sheep stick and focus him with it if I still lost lane really bad and just save it for him. And that's not even the end of it, there are a decent amount of paths I can take to be able to make the best of a bad situation.

So what I guess I'm really trying to say is at the end of the day, when I lose a league game, a lot of the times I'll end up thinking that my team just got outpicked and there was nothing really we could have done. In DOTA 2 when I lose, I feel like there's a lot of things that I could have done that I just didn't do, I feel like I could've improved the way I played, and that, in my opinion, makes DOTA 2 a much more satisfying game to play.

Edit: Also I will say that I used to prefer League of Legends to DOTA 2, I thought DOTA 2's movement and pacing were clunky and the some of the mechanics were stupid (such as being able to deny) until I got used to them and realized that they were just more skills that I needed to learn to master/overcome. A lot of people (that come from league) really hate on DOTA 2 and try to rationalize it by trying to pass off their opinions as the end-all-be-all, but in actuality, they should just say they don't like it because it's too different or the gameplay just isn't in their tastes. And you know what, I can say the same for a lot of DOTA 2 players that trash on league as well. It's ok to dislike a video game because it doesn't resemble the one you already enjoy playing.
    Last edited by harro; 3 Mar 2015 at 02:08am.

The underdog
    Donations:
    $55.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Reasons I play Dota 2 over LoL:

-More active competitive scene
    -Higher prize pool tournaments (TI4 had a prizepool of over 10 million)
    -All the heroes/champions are free from the beginning
    -The graphics are pretty awesome
    prize pool is irrelevant to a game if you prefver to play on it or not, unless you are a pro player.

the reason of why i play dota is i played it since wc3 dota. I play LoL as well when people here are playing it and i just join for the fun

Dota can have more active competitives scene if they choose to gank, though it could be very boring for the first 30 min when carry needs to farm. LoL, on the other hand, would get better source of exp and gold from heroes.

Beside, Dota is more about RTS and LoL is more of a battle royal, depends on what kind of gameplay would you prefer.

Best Steam mod that allows you to have custom background, steamrep and steamdatabase (http://www.enhancedsteam.com/index.php)

12. Thanked by 1 user:
    Lucid (4 Mar 2015)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

User Tag List