Thread: NS2: Combat

SG Noob

Thumbs up NS2: Combat

NS2: Combat http://store.steampowered.com/app/310110 Store Page

Like so many videogames of this genre the aliens as real life creatures would be ludicrous. In Natural Selection II, things work with drama dialled right up, and it's amid this cute Moba of relentless peril that Faultline Games has taken the Natural Selection II Universe once again following in the intimidating footsteps of Unknown Worlds, and produced a fast paced version of the incredibly fun game: Natural Selection II.

NS2: Combat takes the Gorge, Lerk, Fade, Onos, and Skulk back to its roots with a story set prior to the events. On paper it sounds like a foolhardy idea to create this type of gameplay, however with a whole charisma of new technology and tech trees enabling gamers to define each alien or marine played has begged the question, could you have fun with NS2: Combat? It is more of the same style as a Moba/RTS/FPS, but in the best way imaginable.

"Boom! Level up!, "
    The Combat narrative is pretty meaty stuff too, set in the heart of various outposts setup to defend planets from a hostile race, The hopes are to irradiate the humans from the invading forces, and from the other perspective to remove the Kharaa life forms from its facilities. The game could have quite easily been a counter-strike romp from A to B, dispatching the same abilities for each character, but instead there's a strong levelling system allowing each player to uniquely identify and create their own style of gameplay using the new levelling system.

The cannon recently added in as the marine Super-weapon has the effect of the Quake 2 Rail-gun. The largest alien - The Onos is written off as a freak; a bizarre creature, a menace. Chatter among aliens roaming the gloomy corridors and ventilation system reveals marine locations and working as a team can allow you to show up on the scene and prove that you are in fact all too real, that is; If you make your kill. Being able to act as an alien to blow yourself up in hopes to take out the enemy is quite fun. There are no "wave respawns" but yet cool down timers for each player individually.

Like the first combat version of Natural Selection, the game is about tactics, map awareness, and lane blocking. Adding thought into each potential engagement with your teammates is vitally important. Although essentially the series' core game play mechanics remain untouched, with a few tweaked gadgets such as the welder adding the abilities to open and close areas on maps, allowing dynamic changing of strategies for both teams. The new additions of teleporters allow aliens to build up offensive structures behind such teleporters to ensnare marines immediately through passing thus removing again another lane. Of course, sending a heavily armored Chaingun/Railgun "Mech-Warrior" ( Exo Suit ) to blast away any structure to stand in their way can be helpful to the marines.

NS2: Combat is still largely comprised of offensive exploration, free flow combat and teamwork: Instead of familiarity breeding contempt, this game somehow feels fresh. Even when you bump into an alien you have seen a million times before, playing against that alien on a new map gets the blood flowing as you can quickly feel the need for retaliation thus you can run the same route over to show them who's boss. There's nothing quite like getting the blood of vengeance into someone who's killed you over and over again.

The map "Kestrel" is an outpost caked in rust and decay, ruled by two opposing forces, the TSF marines, and the Kharaa aliens. Utilizing Jetpacks, and regenerating armor allows more stealth play. Aliens can also make themselves completely invisible and watch you as you drop a marine transporter in hopes to have everyone use it to eliminate the alien threat. This game is a cauldron of deception in tactics, and as each team works hard in thwarting off each other, the more powerful each player gets.

If anything, late game, there are more large aliens the size of dinosaurs devouring one human after another, and yet they cower behind corners due to the sheer firepower of a marine-driven Exosuit. If that wasn't bad enough, you have flying aliens releasing coarse gas which burns the lungs of any marine within it's AOE. There is an abundant raft of upgrade options available to you as you reach the higher levels.

On top of all of this is an improved and more optimized set of source code in which Faultline Games(FLG) gets to prove their credentials, as the great and much-vaunted NS2: Combat offers better performance and scalability than ever before. Constantly reviewing server data to tweak the balance of gameplay ensures you don't connect to a game and start from Level 1. It will appropriately place you where it feels you would best fit in. More features are being added in and NS2: Combat is fully moddable.

NS2: Combat is not without its frustrations however, and some of the alien encounters and marine battles can prove trying at certain junctures. The balance needs a small overhaul which is set to be hotfixed November 11th, and locating a server close to you can be difficult if you live overseas. As the game progresses in time, and as more gaming communities and players get on board after launch, there is no doubt that this game will continue increasing in sales. The current result is entertaining and the ultimate outcome will be seeing more people create friendships in the Natural Selection II Universe..

On top of a generously multiplayable game labelled as "Natural Selection II"; I question myself: Is NS2: combat a unique enough proposition from Natural Selection II which can stand out as its own game? Yes. The reason for this is simple.
    The CEO for UnknownWorlds Entertainment said it perfectly. " I wish to see people create their own games from Natural Selection II, just as I created Natural Selection from Half-Life.". NS2: Combat was developed by an indie company start-up using their own personal funding to license from Unknown Worlds and create NS2: Combat.

NS2: Combat - Another Moba/rts/fps combat style that demands to be played.

2. Thanked by 1 user:
    Spiritwind (10 Nov 2014)

SG Addict
    Donations:
    $177.00
    Wow, awesome review! Very detailed and informative about the game, I might just look at getting it myself lol

Also welcome to SteamGamers by the way :D

SG Noob
    Thanks.
    I sent you a friends invite on steam. I can toss you a copy, if you wanted to check it out.

5. Thanked by 2 users:
    Prez (9 Nov 2014), Spiritwind (11 Nov 2014)

Handsome and Wealthy
    Donations:
    $570.00
    This game looks pretty cool, I played NS2 and liked it quite a bit.

I'll probably pick up a copy of this soon. Nice review by the way!

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by TheVirus View Post
    Can we skip the SA bullshit and just make him an AO?

SG Addict
    Donations:
    $10.00
    Great review Van!
    Have combat as well, and so far am loving it! Would really recommend it!

Banned

Donations:
    $75.00
    well this looks interesting

I like kitties.
    Donations:
    $307.00
    Oooh, I loved the first one, will probably check it out !

SG Addict
    Donations:
    $50.00
    Great review, very detailed. I'll have to try it out sometime

User Tag List