Banned

Donations:
    $75.00

Dynamic Range. yes pls.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

this website has a database of measured dynamic range for various releases of various albums. Now obviously you want more dynamic range. Its interesting to see how recent releases are often terrible for some albums. sometimes the Vinyl release is much better than the CD. sometimes the older CDs are better. in the case of "death magnetic" the guitar hero release is better lol.

thoughts?

SG Regular
    Donations:
    $20.00
    Not sure what any of this means nor do I want to pretend like I know. But sounds interesting. Plus why would more Dynamic Range make music better?

Banned

Donations:
    $75.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryoku View Post
    Not sure what any of this means nor do I want to pretend like I know. But sounds interesting. Plus why would more Dynamic Range make music better?
    okay so dynamic range is the sound pressure difference between the quietest point in a track/segment and the loudest. Without dynamics things sound flat or just constantly loud. now, not every album or song has to have stupidly high dynamics but if you seen an album where one release has greater DR than another its a sure sign that the lower DR release was highly compressed. The lower DR version will lack detail and generally sound worse.

Here for instance the first pic shows the CD release and the 2nd pic shows the same segment of the vinyl release.

whats happened is the volume levels have been increased in the CD mastering for w/e reason and the audio is clipping against the upper and lower limits of the format. Think of it like squishing the wave. The distance between the bottom and the top of the wave will be much less. The result is flat and quite frankly bad sounding audio.

This is a common occurrence with recent CD releases. Its often the case that an older CD will sound better than the new one. Of course there are many other factors that go into how good a release will sound but this is a rather nice and objective measure in an area that's often purely subjective.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Tag List