SteelSeries Represent
    Donations:
    $50.00

Banana Joe's Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc)

Tech Support Help Ticket
    What general section does your problem fall under
    Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc)
    What is your Operating System (OS)
    Windows 7
    If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
    -
    Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
    -
    Do you understand complex tech explanations
    No
    Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
    Yes
    Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
    Yes
    What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
    Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes
    Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
    Sony
    What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
    Not too sure if it's soft- or hardware
    Please state your problem here
    Well about like.. 1½ week ago my IP address would appear to be either from Germany or Turkey and my internet connection has been really slow on all networks since except from when I've been leeching on my phone's 3G.
    It has happened on both my school's and my own network, so I'm fairly sure it's not just my internet being shitty.
    A few services also haven't been working today which is quite annoying, stuff like dropbox won't connect and I can't download from Steam(it's online just fine though).
    Tried deactivating and then reactivating my network card or w/e it's called but with no luck. Ran a scan with Malwarebytes which caught some Softonic stuff that I removed and yeah, not really sure what else to try since everything I try to google that includes ip address and change just gives me results for how to change it.

I hope there's some easy fix I'm either overseeing or just don't know of.

Edit: Whelp, just checked again and now my IP address is in England around London, idek anymore.

voted worst AO of 2013
    not sure if you are still having this problem but when I usually have a problem with a specific piece of hardware I usually just reinstall the drivers. I would have said to contact your ISP if you having IP problems, but since it apparently only effects your computer no matter what network its on that probably isn't the issue.

There a couple things that could be wrong. If the problem with your IP happens on both ethernet and wireless then both drivers might be the issue. But if you can get your real IP over ethernet but not on wireless then the wireless driver is the issue. It could also be some sort of software that is fucking you up, or a virus.

a couple things you can try:

1.) Reinstall drivers

If your computer is brand name and not a custom built you can look for the drivers for your network card(s) on the companies site usually. Just google your PC with the model number and you should be led to a page where you can download drivers specific to your PC. If you built your PC then you should already know what network card you are using anyway. If you can't get an accurate IP on either ethernet or wireless I would suggest reinstalling drivers for both. If you are only getting this problem on one or the other, just reinstall the driver that is causing the problem.

after downloading the network driver(s) try this;
    1. make a restore point
    (you wont be able to get on the internet after this next step so make sure you download the correct drivers first)
    2. go into the device manager and remove your network card driver(s), only remove the network drivers you actually downloaded (duh)
    3. install the downloaded driver
    4. restart if necessary.

be careful with network drivers because you wont be able to get on the internet with whatever you uninstalled.

2.) Delete unnecessary software, end unnecessary processes.
    Was there something specific you installed around the time your network started fucking up? Remove it just to be safe. Restart the PC to see if it worked.

Also you could try opening your task manager and seeing which processes are running, most of them should be familiar (steam.exe, skype.exe, chrome.exe, etc.) but if you see something suspicious (like a process with no description) or something you don't even remember installing, google the process name to figure out what it is. For example, I have no idea what this googletalkplugin.exe is, after searching it, it tells me its just a exe for the google hangouts extention. Also be careful when searching processes, some sites are just spam which go "ITS A VIRUS DOWNLOAD THIS FREE TOOL NOW" when it actually isn't, just check multiple sites.

If you find a process that actually is a virus, do a full scan with security essentials. Or if you think that is the only issue, you can right click the suspicious process, go to file location, and just scan the specific folder holding the virus to get rid of it. If you know for sure the process is a virus, and security essentials isn't picking it up, update security essentials and try again. If it still doesn't work try MalwareBytes, if it still doesn't work, try using a different AV. Uninstall security essentials and try using AVG or Avast instead.

3.) Use a Restore Point
    Another thing you could do is use a restore point to a time before your PC internet started fucking up and restore it. Bad thing about that is anything you downloaded, or saved during the time after the restore point will be lost. If you have anything important you want to save like school shit, or downloaded games, download it to an external or a flash drive. Make sure you backup everything you want to keep, more often then not I always forget something to backup after I restore it.

4.) Contact ISP
    I know I already said that it probably isn't an ISP issue but if you are still having problems even after all this shit you should call them. They will walk you through your issue and should fix any IP issue they are having on their end.

5.) Replace the wireless card
    If you get to this point it is starting to look like the card itself is shot, and nothing you download will fix it because the card is still fucked. You can replace the card manually, but ONLY do this if you know exactly what you are doing, this means buying the wireless card your laptop uses, taking apart your laptop enough to take the card out and put the new one in. Since you have a prebuilt laptop I don't recommend doing this, tech companies are shitheads and purposely make laptops so that if something breaks you have to send the whole thing in for repairs. A good way to bypass this is to buy a wireless network adapter;

Buy this if you just have standard wireless;
    http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wire...etwork+adapter

Buy this if you have a 5Ghz router and want to use the dual-band;
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDN...k+adapter+5ghz

doesn't really matter which one you get, both work on standard but if you get the 5ghz one you can use it for whenever there is a 5ghz network available. Don't tear open the box, because if you are still having problems then you can send it back to amazon and get a refund. All you need to do is install the new adapter, plug it in to an unused USB port, and disable your other wireless adapter. If your internet is working then you are done, if its still not working, send the adapter back and find a big unused box.

6.) An absolute last resort, Full Format of PC
    You did everything above and your internet is still fucked up, you can try looking for software issues again, but if these steps didn't fix your problem you should start backing your files up. Most brand name companies include a disk or have installed software that will restore the PC to factory settings. This will remove everything, and will reinstall any bloatware that came with the PC, so make sure to backup everything.

If they don't have any restore software or a disk, you can do it the manual way by reinstalling your OS. I am sure there is a better way of doing this, but microsoft will actually let you download ISO's of their operating systems, they don't really give a shit because you still need a key to use it anyway.

ONLY DOWNLOAD THE OS YOU ARE USING, don't take this as an opportunity to downgrade to windows 7 if you are using 8, and you can only do this if you still have the microsoft OS key that is usually on a sticker that is either on the box of your laptop or on the bottom of the laptop, it will say product key on it. Download whatever version for windows you are using, and make sure you get the right version.

Windows 7 ISOs: http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/

Windows 7 (Skip of you have Windows 8);
    1. Find out what version of Windows 7 you have. Right click 'Computer' in the start menu and select properties. This will tell you what version of Windows 7 you have (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) and what system type (32 or 64 bit)
    2. Download the ISO that matches your OS.
    3. Burn the ISO to a disk (if you don't know how to do this, you will probably need this http://www.imgburn.com/)
    4. Put the disk in, and restart PC.
    5. The PC should boot to disk and start installing, follow the installer instructions.
    6. Wait for it to reinstall

After installing, all your files will be moved to a folder on your PC called 'Windows.old' everything in your old PC will be there, you can decide to either copy and paste specific things out that you want to keep, or just delete the whole file (because it takes up a shit ton of space. The reason I said to back everything up, is because more often then not whenever I upgrade programs I copy and pasted from windows old were broken anyway.

Windows 8;
    Going to be honest, I haven't really touched anything W8 related, you can try using this guide;

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-create-...rive-505769939

After installing your OS, it should prompt you for a product key, if you installed the same version of you previous OS, using the key on the bottom of your laptop should work. If it doesn't for some reason, call the company you bought the PC from and tell them your situation, they should give you a new key anyway.

*Optional Step* Install Linux Mint

If you don't want to deal with product keys maybe not working, you could try using Linux Mint. Word of warning though, most games and programs don't work on linux unless you use Wine, and Linux is ALOT more different then using windows or Mac. But if you are only using your laptop for working, surfing the web and general things you can try installing Linux Mint instead of windows.

*Very Optional Step* "Buy" Windows

You know what I mean.

7a.) Get a replacement*
    This is only if you get some sort of protection plan, or if this laptop is only a couple months old, you can probably go to the store you bought it from and get a refund or a replacement computer.

7b.) Send the computer back for repairs
    This part sucks because it means more often not (and especially since you are in Europe) you are probably going to spend a lot of money now. If you can't replace it at the store, but you are still on warranty you can send the laptop to the company you bought it from. If you go to their support page depending on the company they usually have a section on how to send in a computer for repairs. You are probably going to have to pay for shipping. If they send you back the computer and it still doesn't work, try using another device or a friends laptop to see if its your network. You can try sending your PC to a third party repair shop, but it costs more.

8.)Deal with it or get a new laptop

If this internet issue is so bad that you actually went through all of these steps, and it is still fucked up. If you know that your laptop is the only thing that is not working and you have tried literally everything, then the only thing you can do now is buy a new laptop or deal with your fucked up internet.

Jesus that was long, to be honest though after step 5 can be said about almost any other PC problem, bot now I can just copy and paste this whenever some has a problem, I only need to change the beginning. And sorry if I made the guide a little too detailed. I can't really tell how well someone is with computers over the internet so I just make a guide that is borderline idiotproof just in case, and if I ever need to copy paste this to someone who is actually an idiot.

3. Thanked by 2 users:
    Banana Joe (24 Apr 2014), Prez (24 Apr 2014)

User Tag List