Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TTT Naming Rule

Kooloo-Limpah

TTT Naming Rule

• Do not have a misleading names. (Eg. "An unidentified body", "That guy", "No one", etc. are not allowed)

From what I can tell this rule was recently added and seems to overstep its boundaries in trying to prevent griefers and has now moved onto disrupting harmless fun. Since the dawn of TTT people have used names like "not me" or "unidentified body", because it's a laugh to hear people call them out. Hearing someone call out 'the health station' for having a knife sounds stupid as hell, but unless you're lacking two brain cells to rub together it's pretty obvious that it's just someone's name.

The main issue with names in the past has been when a group of griefers decide to join with either blank names, unpronounceable names, or nearly identical names. When they do this it makes it difficult as fuck to figure out who is doing what, and when that happens a prompt warning should suffice, with a kick/ban following if they refuse to co-operate. Names like "the guy wearing shoes" or "the guy in the water" have nowhere near the same type of impact, since 99% of the time people with any sort of cognitive faculties mention that it's just the person's name. That type of thing cannot be done anywhere near as easily if a group if actively seeking to grief (e.g. 3 guys using the names "bobbbbbyyyy", "bobbbyy" and "bobbbbyyy").

Now I'm not saying "this guy" or "that guy" names are completely incapable of causing issues, but in order for them to do so then things have to reach a certain point. I've used the name "this guy" before, with Lonewolf using the name "that guy", and at that stage there were little to no issues since people clocked on pretty quick. After that the names were only kept because they were funny as hell to hear people yell out. The problems began when more than half the server decided to do the exact same thing, with almost everyone playing having some variation of "guy" names. That shit got stale pretty fast because it just turned the game into a huge clusterfuck of people shooting each other out of sheer confusion, and that's why I think compromising with a different ruling would be more effective than simply allowing misleading names outright.

Something to the effect of "Names of a similar nature are generally allowed, but it is ultimately dependent on admin discretion" should be effective at combating the issues these types of jokes cause. If no harm is being done then I see no reason to disallow these types of names, and having admin discretion applicable is a particularly useful fallback for these types of situations when they get out of hand (which is rare in my experience, but it certainly happens).

Subscriber
    Donations:
    $120.00
    I don't see this happening very often and therefor I don't see much of a problem, but since I am playing regularly on 2 different servers it can be because I am playing at the wrong time. I however can see how this could turn into becoming a problem, but I don't think the ban should be longer than 1 day or something (after a kick + warning).

Technical Administrator
    Donations:
    $3936.00
    Wut? Was this added to the motd recently or something?

Hurt Feelings Police
    Donations:
    $5.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Apparently it was added yesterday. Not even the biggest loophole in the TTT rules IMO.
    Last edited by SilentGuns; 13 Jan 2014 at 09:08am.

BEAGLE
    Donations:
    $55.00
    If anything there should be a rule to prevent similar names. Such as Zer0 or Zero. This is where it gets confusing but having a name an unidentified body is still pretty easy to figure out if the person is talking about an actually unidentified body or the person.

SG Addict

Donations:
    $50.00
    Don't let Bubblez and Perge use each others names

SG Professional

Donations:
    $95.00
    IMO there should be a rule against names similar like the whole bobby bobbyy etc.

And names like "Nobody" "An unidentified body" and "Someone in disguise" should be against the rules. Usually admins tell the player to change their name but it depended on the admin. The names abuse the built in callout system and while it isn't a problem for those who can use mics, as they can say " it's the guy named an unidentified body", those without mics suffer. Whether they are looking at the person using that name or an actual unidentified body ( or nobody or someone in disguise) it would still call out all the same.

Names like that guy or w/e are fine as it is easy to tell apart since it doesn't conflict with the built in callout system.
    Leave for a few months, come back and Extreme Potatoes is admin. Leave and come back, he's AO. Leave and come back he's back to admin. Maybe if I leave again he'll be perm'd...

Baghdad ass up
    Donations:
    $566.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I added it, because we have punished for names that lead to disruption of the game in the past.

If you say "An unidentified body is a traitor" on the mic, obviously it's no issue. Those without mics that rely on TTT's "radio" commands, it looks like they're just calling a dead body on the ground a traitor. Not to mention someone with that name could easily be false KOS'd because of someone calling an unided body a traitor.

As far as "This guy" or "That guy" it's up for debate, but I don't think they should be allowed either for the exact same reasons.

If your idea of fun in TTT is causing people to cause miscommunication amongst Innocents of who the traitor is, thus leading to more than likely a few RDMs, you should probably find something else fun to do in TTT.

I also put this rule in because of the 3-4 regs who joined our TTT server with a blank name so no one could call them out or see their names.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by XeNo View Post

If your idea of fun in TTT is causing people to cause miscommunication amongst Innocents of who the traitor is, thus leading to more than likely a few RDMs, you should probably find something else fun to do in TTT.
    Don't tell me how to live my life.

Banned

Donations:
    $110.00
    Quote Originally Posted by XeNo View Post
    I added it, because we have punished for names that lead to disruption of the game in the past.

If you say "An unidentified body is a traitor" on the mic, obviously it's no issue. Those without mics that rely on TTT's "radio" commands, it looks like they're just calling a dead body on the ground a traitor. Not to mention someone with that name could easily be false KOS'd because of someone calling an unided body a traitor.

As far as "This guy" or "That guy" it's up for debate, but I don't think they should be allowed either for the exact same reasons.

I also put this rule in because of the 3-4 regs who joined our TTT server with a blank name so no one could call them out or see their names.
    This has always been a bit of an issue. But usually I let the people who use those names suffer the consequences of getting rdmed all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List