Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Subscriber
    Donations:
    $30.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    There is a 90% chance you should not be using occluders.

I recommend using func_areaportal, or func_areaportal_window, as well as possibly some hint brushes.

It's possible that you will end up needing occluders, I just can't see it being necessary (but it depends how the map is set up).

Is there a door to the armory? If the door is likely going to be open a lot, then func_areaportal_window might be of use. Again it's possible that occluders are the way to go, but if you can optimize it without occluders, that would be better.
    Thanks for the reply bob. I tried using areportals but I can't seem to get them to work. It usually ends up with them completely rendering out the parts of my maps, and then all I get are area portal brushes

BEAGLE
    Donations:
    $55.00

Re: Optimisation help

Quote Originally Posted by Tweezy View Post
    Thanks for the reply bob. I tried using areportals but I can't seem to get them to work. It usually ends up with them completely rendering out the parts of my maps, and then all I get are area portal brushes
    You have to turn the brushes into an entity such as func_areaportal. If you are having issues with your map using them you most likely don't have everything closed in. Once you use an area portal you have to use them every where to seal off your map from leaks. Put them in every doorway and window that leads to and from rooms.

In my opinion area portals are the best thing to improve optimization. They other things are good as well such as using func_detail but using area portals can help tremendously.

Subscriber
    Donations:
    $30.00
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEagle View Post
    You have to turn the brushes into an entity such as func_areaportal. If you are having issues with your map using them you most likely don't have everything closed in. Once you use an area portal you have to use them every where to seal off your map from leaks. Put them in every doorway and window that leads to and from rooms.

In my opinion area portals are the best thing to improve optimization. They other things are good as well such as using func_detail but using area portals can help tremendously.
    Ah okay, I think I understand. I'll give it another go and see how it ends up, thanks.

Genetic Beast Lobster

Yeah so the brush needs to be the areaportal texture, and it needs to be an entity (either func_areaportal or func_areaportalwindow).

Then exactly as BlackEagle said, anywhere that your areportal is closing in (ie a room), that room needs to be treated like it's own map (ie there needs to be no leaks into that room). So it needs to be sealed by world geometry (not brushes). The only brush that still seals it from leaks is other areaportals. So if there are func_detailed windows (or something) there needs to be an areaportal there as well.

Subscriber
    Donations:
    $30.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Yeah so the brush needs to be the areaportal texture, and it needs to be an entity (either func_areaportal or func_areaportalwindow).

Then exactly as BlackEagle said, anywhere that your areportal is closing in (ie a room), that room needs to be treated like it's own map (ie there needs to be no leaks into that room). So it needs to be sealed by world geometry (not brushes). The only brush that still seals it from leaks is other areaportals. So if there are func_detailed windows (or something) there needs to be an areaportal there as well.
    Okay, I reckon I understand. I'll give it a shot soon! Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List