SG Addict

House Republicans vote to end the 40hr workweek, and paid overtime

The video

Transcript:
    “Ms. [Martha] Roby [R-Al.] and I are friends, but we have a very substantial disagreement about this bill. I call it the ‘pay working families less’ bill, because what it will result in is a cut in pay for almost everybody.
    “Yes, there will be those who will volunteer who can afford to do comp time. Others will not be. So they will not be able to earn overtime, because the employer will invariably – not because they are bad people, but will invariably – go to the person that will in fact do it for free. I understand it's comp time, but they won't get paid.
    “Most workers at this level need the pay. They need to pay their mortgage. They need to pay their car payment. They need to send their kids to school. It would of course be cheaper to run a business if we didn't pay people at all, but it wouldn't be America.
    “Mr. Speaker, today in the House it's déjà vu all over again. This bill has been here before, in 2003. It was pulled from the Floor. Why? Because at that point in time there were a significant number of Republicans who thought this was a lousy idea and thought it would undermine the Fair Labor Standards Act and the pay of working people. Unfortunately there aren't that number of Republicans left in this House.
    “Déjà vu all over again. Not only because this bill would send American workers back to the days before the 40-hour workweek. But we've also seen this same bill introduced and then, as I have said, withdrawn. That's because it would eliminate the 40-hour workweek as we know it. I know my friends on the Republican side disagree with that premise, but I have seen employers. I've seen employers They are not bad people, but they are trying to maximize profits. And they wouldn't be paying minimum wage if they didn't have to. And, very frankly, the minimum wage is way below what it ought to be.
    “This bill says that we would provide the workers with comp time. But permission as to when a worker could take accrued comp time would be entirely in his or her boss’s hands. ... The result would be longer hours for workers with no overtime pay and only the hope that their bosses will let them take their earned time off when asked.
    “How we have skewed the rules and play against the middle, working class of America. You ought to read the book Who Stole the American Dream? by Hedrick Smith. Workers wishing to collect their overtime pay would be forced to wait until the end of the year, essentially granting employers an interest-free loan.
    “Mr. Speaker, this isn't fair. It isn't right. And it isn't going to become law. And everybody on this Floor knows that. Everybody – all 434 of us that are here today know that this bill is not going to become law, but we are wasting our time on it. Instead of wasting time on a partisan measure that would never make it through the Senate, we ought to be working on creating jobs and restoring fiscal discipline. Not a partisan roll back of workers' rights, but a bipartisan compromise to help put more Americans to work.
    “Again I say if those Republicans who were a Member of this House in 2003 were still here, this bill will not be on the Floor.”

Getting the last word since 1-27-2010

SG Addict
    I'm sure they'd support reinstating slavery if they could

Banned

Donations:
    $75.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbyte View Post
    I'm sure they'd support reinstating slavery if they could
    You do know that Lincoln was a Republican right?

SG Professional

Donations:
    $20.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirkjr View Post
    You do know the Republican party of today is not the same Republican party of 1861 right?

5. Thanked by 5 users:
    ASF (19 May 2013), Frostbyte (18 May 2013), Harpr33t (17 May 2013), Korean Ninja (27 May 2013), Revolution18 (18 May 2013)

SG Addict
    Donations:
    $1.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirkjr View Post
    The parties did a flip a couple of decades ago.

Banned

Donations:
    $75.00
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpr33t View Post
    The parties did a flip a couple of decades ago.

The point is the Republican party is not and never was pro-slavery. They did not "flip" they changed from what they were but the GOP never decided, "enough with this human rights thing".

SG Addict
    To repeat what others have said the Democrats and Republicans of the 1800's were not the same parties we vote for today, that could have been figured out by glancing at a history book.

For example: Andrew Jackson was a Democrat. To say that he would fit the bill of a modern day Democrat is ludicrous. He supported a small federal government, sent the Native Americans halfway across the continental U.S., and ripped the national bank to shreds.

To clarify I meant slavery as in the work (without OT and set hours, etc.), not the literal enslavement of black people.
    Last edited by Frostbyte; 18 May 2013 at 12:18pm.

User Tag List