Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SG Addict

Feed The Beast | Servers second breath!

My friend and I were talking about a minecraft server we could play in and I thought: "Hey! Steamgamers has an awesome one!". Although we googled factions, read a couple of comments / ideas behind it and it was just not for us. Personally, I dislike creating massive groups of players just to be able to build a town, corporations, towers, castles and villages. I have nothing against playing with a couple of people we meet on the server, but with the limited building materials and tools to create "Puddle co." we won't play in the server
    Lately, I've been reading how faction rules makes the server empty, so I thought: "Hey! There's a great mod that both I and my friend would like to play! And it should bring the server to it's second breath!".

So, as we discussed, in our opinions Feed the Beast is one of the best modpacks out there, especially as all of the modmakers have agreed to let the mods be used in it. Now, I understand that you guys will think that it's tekkit... it's not, it's something completely different, although has a lot of different mods and neat additions. I also recall that this has been talked about and discussed previously, but back then the modpack was still in aplha (or beta) and players disliked it, especially as tekkit at the time was completely stable.

I'm not going to look for videos for it, as I'm sure everyone knows how to use youtube and not only view a single video about it, but a few so you could gain a better opinion.

I sincerely ask that there's no name calling, hating, bashing in this thread. I only enjoy reading everyones opinions to a certain extent, when it crosses the line I just ignore it.

-Devlin

2. Thanked by 1 user:
    Energy (4 Feb 2013)

* SG Minecraft Team Leader *
    Donations:
    $13.00
    I have played FTB on Josh's private server for a couple of hours, and currently the only thing which interested me is the fact you can make your own programs through Lua :P

I do agree that this is a more safe approach than Tekkit (no EMC to spawn yourself all the resources you wish), etc.

Josh mentioned that for the computercraft part, barely anyone will understand it because it is written in Lua,
    if so, and this mod happens to get chosen and gets popular, then I will start programming APIs for turtles (machines you can control), so you can for example simply type "farm" and it will start farming an area. ONLY if this mod gets chosen and popular, because this requires a LOT of time to make these APIs.

I will wait for some more feedback from other MC players before going into this more.
    If people are truly interested into this, and can give me valuable opinions, then I will make a poll with final decisions.

SG Addict

I'd prefer if we can discuss this thoroughly, and only then the poll would be set into place.

Also, computercraft isn't that hard. And there are a lot of videos showing how to make basic stuff, from opening a door to firing / reloading a cannon automatically.

All in all, it's a really fun modpack, would just need to wait until they add red-power to it (which is going to happen pretty soon).

Subscriber
    Donations:
    $30.00
    I really like the idea of this to be honest. I did like factions, but the whole limit depending on the amount of players in the group was kinda of a let down. This will defiantly get me back into it

SG Regular

its a really fun mod pack and due to the lack of EMC it really can't be rushed as hard as tekkit was and even if you do get to the end game stuff with the turtles etc there really is a ridiculous amount to do and that's before even going into the twilight area, my only worry is that if the twilight portals all come out the same place ( i'm not sure about this only ever had one in the server at a time) then people will just rush kill the hydras etc near the portal and that will make people have to walk a ridiculous amount of time just to kill any of the twilight stuff, overall its something i would really say give a go to due to the sheer amount of stuff to do and depending on which modpack you use there's even more added in with stuff like gregtech making it harder to rush stuff like the macerator. ( some modpacks do have EMC so i'd be aware of which is used )

SG Addict
    May I suggest Voltz instead? I find it much more enjoyable, and challenging. Its easily downloaded, as its in the technic launcher. Some examples of whats in the mod pack: A more realistic electricity, the entire mod is based off of having a "Universal Electricity" so one generator can give power to all your devices, factorys made with conveyor belts and arm bots, launchable fucking missiles. Its pretty easy to pick up, and if SteamGamers where to get another mod pack server, I would love to see it being Volts. I mentioned in the other thread of maybe having day events of warfare, with this as a server, permanent awesome warfare anyone?

Video of nonsense you can do:

EDIT: Lots of the parts are compatible with computercraft, and even have different ways you can control them with computercraft. It would however require anyone joining the server to have downloaded computercraft for themselfs.

(Thanks sandvich)
    Me and paching having a nice chat.

SG Addict
    Donations:
    $20.00
    I'll probably play with any new mod installed but doubt the server will last long with any mod without faction PvP.

SG Addict

Voltz is fun, but for a limited about of time.

After you get the missiles it starts getting dull.

Banned

Feed the beast is clearly more enjoyable than tekkit, cus its updated and EMC farms don't exist.
    However, the factions thing still doesn't look a good idea, as ur looking foward to make an industry and not a pvp brawl. Also, I'm afraid some mods like mystcraft will have to be disabled, which is a shame

* SG Minecraft Team Leader *
    Donations:
    $13.00
    Quote Originally Posted by PAN32 View Post
    Feed the beast is clearly more enjoyable than tekkit, cus its updated and EMC farms don't exist.
    However, the factions thing still doesn't look a good idea, as ur looking foward to make an industry and not a pvp brawl. Also, I'm afraid some mods like mystcraft will have to be disabled, which is a shame
    If we happen to launch a FTB server, then there will be no Factions.

Minds explaining what Mystcraft does? Like, what does it all have in it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List