Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kruma View Post
    First image:
    You have no trimming on the window, all the entrances have no door frames, the stairs have no railings, and there's improper use of textures everywhere, the ceiling for example.

Second image:
    Bland, blocky, similar to the other screenshots.

Third Image:
    The corridor is ridiculously small, you need to extend that to a realistic dimension.

Extreme lack of detail, the walls are barren, it's just an empty room with bad textures and three props. (Not counting the ceiling lights).

Overall:
    Your map is blocky, has umpteen misaligned textures, and has terrible lighting. It seems like you just used the light entity haphazardly, which is very ineffective anyways, you should hardly ever use the light entity for indoor lighting. There's not much else to say, it's obvious that you're a beginner or an amateur, all I can recommend is that you continue mapping for a year or so and pick-up on good habits. Right now your skill matches that of all those you see on Gamebanana and the like, which is very bad. Good luck.
    if you continue to act this way i can assure you that you won't be here for long.

SG Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Tweezy View Post
    Alright, my bad about the lighting, maybe you should do a tutorial for your setup. Still, none of the jail break maps go for realism do they?
    Well like I said, it's that sort of attitude that prevents any progress from getting done, there's no reason, other than ignorance or laziness, for the bulk of CS:S maps to be so poor quality, trust me. Once you become skilled and aware of the tools that Hammer provides you, it'll be second nature, an instinct to practice good mapping ethic, and anything you produce well be of practical quality. And as for a tutorial, I can't be bothered to make one about my exact setup, but I can provide you a great site that not only has a good tutorial on this sort of lighting, but also other properly constructed tutorials, a lot better than the dodgy Youtube tutorials, haha, 3KliksPhilip is a joke.

Anyways, it's: Interlopers.net - Half-Life 2 News & Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Albania View Post
    if you continue to act this way i can assure you that you won't be here for long.
    Lol? Are you serious? If I continue to give constructive criticism and provide a bad mapper tips on how to become a good one, I'll be exiled from this community? I'm sorry, I wasn't aware the helping people was against the rules, I'll be sure to stop providing tips for anyone... I'm kind of just shocked right now with what you wrote, kind of disgusted too.
    Last edited by Kruma; 8 Aug 2011 at 08:40am.

Banned

Well like I said, it's that sort of attitude that prevents any progress from getting done, there's no reason, other than ignorance or laziness, for the bulk of CS:S maps to be so poor quality, trust me. Once you become skilled and aware of the tools that Hammer provides you, it'll be second nature, an instinct to practice good mapping ethic, and anything you produce well be of practical quality. And as for a tutorial, I can't be bothered to make one about my exact setup, but I can provide you a great site that not only has a good tutorial on this sort of lighting, but also other properly constructed tutorials, a lot better than the dodgy Youtube tutorials, haha, 3KliksPhilip is a joke.

Anyways, it's: Interlopers.net - Half-Life 2 News & Tutorials

Lol? Are you serious? If I continue to give constructive criticism and provide a bad mapper tips on how to become a good one, I'll be exiled from this community? I'm sorry, I wasn't aware the helping people was against the rules, I'll be sure to stop providing tips for anyone... I'm kind of just shocked right now with what you wrote, kind of disgusted too.
    Yeah, i'm serious.

"Extreme lack of detail, the walls are barren, it's just an empty room with bad textures"
    "blocky, has umpteen misaligned textures, and has terrible lighting"
    "it's obvious that you're a beginner or an amateur"
    "Right now your skill matches that of all those you see on Gamebanana and the like, which is very bad."

"constructive criticism and provide a bad mapper"

definition of constructive criticism: "criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions"

nothing you stated was helpful nor useful, and contained no solutions.

Last edited by high rws; 8 Aug 2011 at 09:07am.

SG Noob

Yeah, i'm serious.

"Extreme lack of detail, the walls are barren, it's just an empty room with bad textures"
    "blocky, has umpteen misaligned textures, and has terrible lighting"
    "it's obvious that you're a beginner or an amateur"
    "Right now your skill matches that of all those you see on Gamebanana and the like, which is very bad."

"constructive criticism and provide a bad mapper"

definition of constructive criticism: "criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions"

nothing you stated was helpful nor useful, and contained no solutions.

You must be extremely sensitive or twelve years old to think I'm trying to offend anyone, and dense if you think that isn't useful advice. I stated what was wrong, this isn't a classroom, I'm not obligated to turn into a professor and baby him by giving him the solutions, there's ample resources on the internet that are more than enough for him to fix all of the errors I pointed out. It's ridiculous to say that stating problems isn't helping, please get over it, this is extremely childish and I can't believe I'm even debating about something as trivial as this.

Banned

You must be extremely sensitive or twelve years old to think I'm trying to offend anyone, and dense if you think that isn't useful advice. I stated what was wrong, this isn't a classroom, I'm not obligated to turn into a professor and baby him by giving him the solutions, there's ample resources on the internet that are more than enough for him to fix all of the errors I pointed out. It's ridiculous to say that stating problems isn't helping, please get over it, this is extremely childish and I can't believe I'm even debating about something as trivial as this.
    actually, you aren't debating at all. everything you've said since you replied to my post is completely retarded/irrelevant. it has nothing to do with age or sensitivity. i never stated this was a classroom, or that you were a professor (you obviously are not).

you don't need to baby ANYONE. nobody ever asked you too. "..and dense to think that isn't useful advice."

oh okay, you basically told him that his map sucked, that his lighting was terrible and the map in general was blocky, however you never stated anything on how to fix the lighting or how to position the entities, nor did you tell him how to use displacements or different shapes etc.

you even stated yourself:

"There's not much else to say.."

you are a complete moron and you've contradicted yourself numerous times so far. the poor guy was just trying to make his own jailbreak map and you attack him stating that his map in general is terrible.

gtfo this website

SG Addict
    Guys stop, seriously.

SG Noob

actually, you aren't debating at all. everything you've said since you replied to my post is completely retarded/irrelevant. it has nothing to do with age or sensitivity. i never stated this was a classroom, or that you were a professor (you obviously are not).

you don't need to baby ANYONE. nobody ever asked you too. "..and dense to think that isn't useful advice."

oh okay, you basically told him that his map sucked, that his lighting was terrible and the map in general was blocky, however you never stated anything on how to fix the lighting or how to position the entities, nor did you tell him how to use displacements or different shapes etc.

you even stated yourself:

"There's not much else to say.."

you are a complete moron and you've contradicted yourself numerous times so far. the poor guy was just trying to make his own jailbreak map and you attack him stating that his map in general is terrible.

gtfo this website
    I'm literally sighing right now. I honestly don't know what to say or make of everything you've been saying. I'm really dumbfounded right now at the stupidity that is currently be displayed. I'm going to take hunter's advice and refrain from posting this is thread any further, it seems that you cannot handle anything unless it's favorable, which is quite immature in my opinion. The very fact that you're trying to make the author look like a poor victim is appalling. I already addressed the fact that I'm not trying to personally attack and that I'm just trying to point out the major faults that make the map so horrible, and that's what is, horrible. It is a horrible map and it's okay. This is life, we don't need to sugarcoat everything and baby everyone, let me continue to repeat myself over and over by saying that stating facts aren't personal attacks. His map is obviously of poor quality and I was just pointing out what is wrong with it, which implies what he needs to work on.

Let me try to use an example, and perhaps it can give you some insight on your odd state of mind. If you handed in a essay to a teacher, and it was a piece of crap and you received a failing grade and had to redo it. Do you think the teacher is going to tell you how to fix it? No. It's your responsibility to learn how to improve yourself. I have every right to say that his map is bad and to point out what is bad about it. It is his choice whether or not to improve his faults and become a better mapper or to remain ignorant. Just as it's your choice to continue derailing a thread because you're a baby or swallowing your pride and just admit that this is all a waste of time over a very, very trivial offense that you took because you're too sensitive, I'll say it again, get over it.

"Gtfo out of this website." Please, grow up, why must everyone get so offended by everything, man it almost saddens me how ridiculous of a person you are.

I'm done in this thread, I hope to never run into a problem with you again, as it proves to be a very unproductive experience. Good luck in life, I hope your attitude will improve so others won't have to have such a horrible experience like I did.

Banned

I'm literally sighing right now. I honestly don't know what to say or make of everything you've been saying. I'm really dumbfounded right now at the stupidity that is currently be displayed. I'm going to take hunter's advice and refrain from posting this is thread any further, it seems that you cannot handle anything unless it's favorable, which is quite immature in my opinion. The very fact that you're trying to make the author look like a poor victim is appalling. I already addressed the fact that I'm not trying to personally attack and that I'm just trying to point out the major faults that make the map so horrible, and that's what is, horrible. It is a horrible map and it's okay. This is life, we don't need to sugarcoat everything and baby everyone, let me continue to repeat myself over and over by saying that stating facts aren't personal attacks. His map is obviously of poor quality and I was just pointing out what is wrong with it, which implies what he needs to work on.

Let me try to use an example, and perhaps it can give you some insight on your odd state of mind. If you handed in a essay to a teacher, and it was a piece of crap and you received a failing grade and had to redo it. Do you think the teacher is going to tell you how to fix it? No. It's your responsibility to learn how to improve yourself. I have every right to say that his map is bad and to point out what is bad about it. It is his choice whether or not to improve his faults and become a better mapper or to remain ignorant. Just as it's your choice to continue derailing a thread because you're a baby or swallowing your pride and just admit that this is all a waste of time over a very, very trivial offense that you took because you're too sensitive, I'll say it again, get over it.

"Gtfo out of this website." Please, grow up, why must everyone get so offended by everything, man it almost saddens me how ridiculous of a person you are.

I'm done in this thread, I hope to never run into a problem with you again, as it proves to be a very unproductive experience. Good luck in life, I hope your attitude will improve so others won't have to have such a horrible experience like I did.
    im sorry that your experience was THAT awful, but an eye for an eye. you were a total jerk to the guy, you posted NO constructive criticism whatsoever. you basically called his map shit, and you called him a shitty mapper.

the whole first and second paragraph that you posted is utter BS anyway, you went on and on about how you were dumbfounded and astonished that when you acted like a jerk you got the same behavior in return. not going to bother to reading the rest honestly.

anyways, you tell me to grow up, however you called 3kliksphilip a joke for spending his own time making GOOD tutorials, yet all you seem to do is criticize others. you also call me a ridiculous person which is funny considering your earlier posts.

like i stated earlier, you barge into this website knowing absolutely no one and then call this poor guys map "very bad", and yet offer no help on improving the map. you do however post your own map screenshots boasting about how you probably spent hours doing a tiny corridor to a map no one will play anyway. great

"..map so horrible, and that's what is, horrible. It is a horrible map and it's okay. " it's okay? oh i see, so instead of politely addressing the faults of the map you just call it horrible. again, you call ME immature.

i didn't mean to derail this thread. you however were obviously baiting for a flamewar when you called his map horrible. hell, even tweezy was offended at first

bye then
    Last edited by high rws; 8 Aug 2011 at 12:17pm.

SG Noob

im sorry that your experience was THAT awful, but an eye for an eye. you were a total jerk to the guy, you posted NO constructive criticism whatsoever. you basically called his map shit, and you called him a shitty mapper.

the whole first and second paragraph that you posted is utter BS anyway, you went on and on about how you were dumbfounded and astonished that when you acted like a jerk you got the same behavior in return. not going to bother to reading the rest honestly.

anyways, you tell me to grow up, however you called 3kliksphilip a joke for spending his own time making GOOD tutorials, yet all you seem to do is criticize others. you also call me a ridiculous person which is funny considering your earlier posts.

like i stated earlier, you barge into this website knowing absolutely no one and then call this poor guys map "very bad", and yet offer no help on improving the map. you do however post your own map screenshots boasting about how you probably spent hours doing a tiny corridor to a map no one will play anyway. great

gtfo this website
    Wasn't going to respond but... allow to address some things.

1) No not an eye for an eye, I was providing some advice, you're just spouting jargon trying to start an argument.

2) 3kliksphilip is an absolute joke and anyone with decent mapping knowledge knows that for a fact. I know he puts time into making his tutorials and good on him for doing so, but his tutorials are filled with improper techniques and poor mapping ethics, that's why he's a joke to me, and the rest of the sensible mapping community, it's common knowledge to stray away from his tutorials, I'm serious, try mentioning his name to a reputable site like Interlopers or Facepunch, you'll be laughed out of the forums.

3) That's how forums work dear, it's not barging in. I just registered and decided to post on the forum... that' snot barging that's using a forum, just because you got offended doesn't make it wrong. Please stop victimizing him, it's obvious that I'm not being hostile in anyway, you're just continuing to propagate something that wasn't an issue in the first place, like I keep saying, just stop.

4) Yes, I posted my own map screenshots, why? Please actually read the thread and you will see that someone tried refuting my statement that light entities are a poor choice if you want to properly light an indoor area. He claimed that wasn't the case, so I took the kind liberty of going out of the way to take screenshots of Hammer and of how the the result of it is in-game, that's boasting? Are you serious? The whole point of those images were to tell a guy how to properly light indoor areas and I even linked him a tutorial so he could do it himself, stop making a big deal of little things.

5) And let me correct you in saying that, no, that took no where near "hours" let alone over an hour. Simple corridors like that take a maximum of ten minutes to create, it's really simple geometry with small detail here and there. Let me also correct you in saying that people will play that, because someone actually hired me to create that hallway for their mod. As I said to another user earlier, please actually know what you're talking about before you try criticizing.
    Last edited by Kruma; 8 Aug 2011 at 01:34pm.

SG Addict
    Guys both of you, stop now. You could both end up in trouble.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

User Tag List