Thread: Looking for

SG Regular

Looking for

a tutorial for making Zombie escape maps, link or messaging (over steam) would be fine.

I'm looking for the basic mechanics like mini survivals, sending zombies to spawns, spawns in general, randomized paths that change every round etc etc.

Genetic Beast Lobster

Idk if there are specific guides for making zombie escape maps. Usually there are just guides for making X. And when you make your zombie escape map and realize you need to do X you look up a guide on how to do it.

Spawns you use info_player_terrorist and info_player_counterterrorist. Just make sure their feet are a small bit above the ground or they may get stuck in it and the spawnpoint will not work.

To send zombies to spawn you need an info_teleport_destination, or any brush/entity to use as a target (non-solid func_movelinears, brushes, etc will work, but no reason to not use teleport_destination). Then create a trigger where you want it to be that the zombies get sent back to spawn, and set it's Remote Destination to the name of your info_teleport_destination. If you want it to only affect zombies but not CT's you need to filter the trigger.

Create a filter_activator_team, set it to allow, and set who to allow to Terrorists. (Disallow CT works too). Name the filter, and go back into the trigger and for filter, put the name of this filter. Then the trigger will only work for Terrorists (aka zombies).

Randomized paths are a little harder. You have to make every path you want, then can use a logic_case to choose which paths are available that round. Essentially make all the paths, and block them all off with a brush (however you want to do it). Then have a logic_auto, a trigger_once or trigger_multiple, a logic timer, whatever you want to fire an output to the logic case and have the output "PickRandom"

In the logic case you need to specify each case. OnCase01 will, let's say, be Disable path1block, Disable path2block. OnCase02 will be Disable path3block, Disable path4block. Basically each case will have whatever routes you want available in it.

Mini survivals I'm not sure what you're talking about? Hold points maybe. Those are basically done just through having the path blocked, by a door lets say, and you opening the door after they hold that spot for 20 seconds (let's say). Just make a trigger in front of the door, and have it set to "OnStartTouch DOORNAME Open Delay 20"

If you want to announce that they have to hold for 20, you need a point_servercommand, call it anything, then through the same trigger, add an output "OnStartTouch SERVERCOMMANDNAME Command" and in "Parameters" put "say MESSAGE YOU WANT TO SAY (aka The door is jammed! Hold this spot for 20 seconds!)"

Like I said, you can find guides on how to make specific things, or you can ask specific questions, but each map requires different things, so there's no guides that I'm aware of that are basically "This is a completely comprehensive guide to making this type of map".

3. Thanked by 2 users:
    Cypher (9 Apr 2011), Suicide (8 Apr 2011)

Server Administrator

Donations:
    $5.00
    Lol Bob how long did you need typing this xD Personally i'd given him a few links :P
    Those tutorials are a great way for gaining interest in mapping itself. So if you have time I suggest trying out some tuts and soon you'll be able to play around with anything.

For if you are interested gaining info about anything in source:
    Category:Level Design - Valve Developer Community

Also our tutorial section is very big:
    Tutorials and Instructions

If we dont have a tut about, they most likely will:
    GameBanana: Mapping (Tutorials > Counter-Strike: Source > Mapping)

5. Thanked by 1 user:
    Cypher (9 Apr 2011)

SG Addict
    valve developer community is the best b/c it's got full descriptions of the entities, has forums and prefabs also to help with more complex ideas.

7. Thanked by 1 user:
    Cypher (9 Apr 2011)

User Tag List