• Support

24 38.10%
  • Oppose

39 61.90%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop 8

SG Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    Is this about civil partnership or marriage?

If getting a civil partnership has exactly the same benefits as being married....then there is nothing really to it. Marriage is a religious thing.....if there's no reason to get married rather than have a civil partnership except because you prefer one to the other/you're contradicting your religion and you're religious whilst gay......then they can QQ more.
    You are aware that not all religions condemn homosexuality, if they are religious they aren't necessarily contradicting their religion.

champagne & cocaine
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I oppose the ban on homosexual marriage. I dislike how so many jobs and opportunities ask if you're married. I understand it's a legal binding as well, even though it's created/managed religiously. Marriage is nice and useful if you're planning on having children or be a couple with someone due to the legal ties it puts on both of you. A lot of homosexuals aren't going to have children (because they can't, but they should be able o adopt), but they probably like the legal binds it gives.

Let's imply I am a homosexual here:

If I were to have a serious medical condition, the doctors would call my next of kin to sort it out. This means calling my father, my only living relative, and someone who I've not spoken to for many years. I dont want that, my boyfriend knows me best, he should have control over my medical. If this was a hetrosexual marriage, the couple would have those rights. Is this fair?

If I were to die, my possessions would be transfered to my next of kin, my father. I dont want that though, I would prefer my boyfriend to get them, but the law of the land stops me.

When filling out a tax form, I miss out on the help and advantages that married people get.

To be honest with you, I dont care about the institution of marriage, I think its outdated to today's world, but because of the law of the land, everyone has to know about it.

To me its nothing more then a contract. You go in with your partner, sign a form, and you are now married, easy.

I move for the government to allow me equality, I want to be married or equivalent. (That means a Civil Union or Civil Partnership)

You're missing the point; California has had a "Civil Union" for a decade. Everything you just mentioned is available to homosexuals joined in a civil union (at least in California, but considering this thread is based on California, I'm assuming we're still talking about that).

And you are wrong; asking "Are you married" in a job interview is illegal.
    Last edited by Caution; 21 Aug 2010 at 10:07am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Swede View Post
    Yes voters:
    By those who DID vote yes for you, to be honest, I am not sure if they were just kidding, or being serious. But words like "he is rightful to his throne", "yolo" and one described you as "jesus".

SG Addict
    You're missing the point; California has had a "Civil Union" for a decade. Everything you just mentioned is available to homosexuals joined in a civil union (at least in California, but considering this thread is based on California, I'm assuming we're still talking about that)
    That's dandy and all. I just don't think that marriage is some "sacred" thing anymore. At best, it's a legal tie. If someone wants to think of it as some holy bond, feel free to, no one is stopping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Caution View Post
    And you are wrong; asking "Are you married" in a job interview is illegal.
    I am pretty sure that they can ask that, at least I have been asked it when applying for jobs. If it's illegal to ask that, thanks for the information.
    videogames

champagne & cocaine
    That's dandy and all. I just don't think that marriage is some "sacred" thing anymore.
    Eh that's pretty subjective though, it really just depends where you go.

I am pretty sure that they can ask that, at least I have been asked it when applying for jobs. If it's illegal to ask
    that, thanks for the information.
    http://labor-employment-law.lawyers....erviewing.html

Asking if you are married prior to being hired is federally illegal, just like if you have children, plan to have children, etc.

"Generally, an employer can ask you about things that test or measure your ability to do the job. Questions about your training, skills and education are good examples. On the other hand, questions about things that don't relate to the job are off-limits, like if you're married."
    Last edited by Caution; 21 Aug 2010 at 10:20am.
    Yes voters:
    By those who DID vote yes for you, to be honest, I am not sure if they were just kidding, or being serious. But words like "he is rightful to his throne", "yolo" and one described you as "jesus".

SG Addict
    "Generally, an employer can ask you about things that test or measure your ability to do the job. Questions about your training, skills and education are good examples. On the other hand, questions about things that don't relate to the job are off-limits, like if you're married."
    Actually, I would think that marriage would be highly relevant. If you have a family, that might mean you'll have more of a chance of missing work for emergencies like a birth or serious injury. I would think the employer would want to know if this married guy they might hire is going to have more complications than this other guy who is not tied to a family.

champagne & cocaine
    Quote Originally Posted by iNorris View Post
    Actually, I would think that marriage would be highly relevant. If you have a family, that might mean you'll have more of a chance of missing work for emergencies like a birth or serious injury. I would think the employer would want to know if this married guy they might hire is going to have more complications than this other guy who is not tied to a family.
    A job interviewer cannot ask that. Just like they can't ask if you own a car, have children, do you take drugs, how tall are you, how much do you weigh, how long your commute is, what your exact age is (although they can ask if you're over a certain age), what your race is, what your origin is, if you smoke or drink, how long you plan to work before you retire, etc. Legally, they can't even ask if you are a U.S. citizen.

Of course this is all up front; you can always rephrase it with "Are you legally allowed to work in the U.S.?" All of them can be rephrased, pretty much.

http://www.hrworld.com/features/30-i...stions-111507/
    Last edited by Caution; 21 Aug 2010 at 12:13pm.
    Yes voters:

SG Addict
    I always thought it was okay to ask those things if it was a privately owned business. Thank you for enlightening me (though I can't say anyone would ever ask me those question at my age lol).

SG Addict
    I oppose this, because it is mostly a free country(my mind couldn't think of the correct right at this time) and they should be able to marry whomever they want. You are granted the rights of the Constitution if you are a White, male, property owner that last time I checked.

P.S. Sorry for the vague argument my mind wasn't working at the time.

GMod C4 Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    You are aware that not all religions condemn homosexuality, if they are religious they aren't necessarily contradicting their religion.
    Not to the scale of Saudi Arabia or anything but, America does seem to let it's religion (i.e. Christianity) meddle with politics.

Most religions do condemn homosexuality.....I'm not talking some random flying spaghetti monster/jedi stuff.

Wut?
    I support...marriage is a thing for religions, just because its not as closely affiliated with being religious now doesn't change what it is.

Pretty much anyone gay who also wants to get married are contradicting themselves....I can see that they want to get married with the person they love because its more of the "norm", but they need to start accepting the fact that its not for them.

Like Caution mentioned, they can just get a civil union, marriage is not for them.

11. Thanked by 1 user:
    Dannen (23 Aug 2010)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

User Tag List