Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ze_2012

Baghdad ass up
    Donations:
    $566.00

ze_2012

I've played this map a bit now and I have to say, it's not as good as I expected. In the end, I recommend a half-remake of this map.

First off, the starting area, where the hell is this? I do not remember this in the movie whatsoever, why is it even in the map? It's only purpose is to give humans a slight head start by making zombies break the grate, however I feel this could be served another way that would be slightly more true to the movie.

Second, a wall opens to a building area? A wall. Opens. Why does the wall open exactly? Whatever I don't have huge complaints about it. So you run along, there's a near impossible to get on 33tick 'invisibility deagle' that naturally doesn't even work. Also there's this apartment building, once again something not from the movie and I have yet to decipher it's purpose, but I'll deal.

You make the humans run all the way around the building to a door, whilst letting the alternate entrance to the building open (which is a wall opening once again for no reason) to a kind of small crouch area that has a wall obstructing your view and naturally making it incredibly hard to shoot zombies back out into the street, instead nearly 80% of the time you shoot them at a side angle which causes them to come IN to the building. There's a soda machine to put in it in the room, but there's shit all over the ground and it has to be completely flat to fit so that almost never works, not to mention the alternate way in is already open as you enter the building and it's faster to get to than running around the building so zombies are probably already crouching their way in right when you get to it, good luck.

Humans generally lose right there, however, if they don't, they ride a elevator (Which is pretty well done, no glitching ect. ect.) while zombies have to run up stairs, at the roof they cross a ramp that's stretching across building roofs for apparently no reason whatsoever other than to be a floating ramp, there's a GMan to your right and you jump off another building's roof to land in water and proceed across a grass field to the awaiting plane.

...Wait what the fuck? This transition to the plane not only makes no sense, it MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE. This could have been infinitely been done better to introduce the plane to this map. Not to mention the random ramp across buildings, and apparently there's a random grass field behind a building/apartment area.

-------------------------

Now, BEYOND that point (assuming you even get past that point), I think the map is great the plane hold off is pretty fun, like the nades, the run to the cockpit could be a bit more extensive (make it a longer run and perhaps a box to jump over as well) but overall it's pretty good, cars in the hanger was a nice touch too.

Then Mercy does his weird Russian accent thing, begs for his mother Jesus and the plane crashes leading to the snow area, the car is really glitchy though not TOO many issues caused by it, the random snow rockfall area is alright, and the final hold off point where the ARK's are isn't that pretty or artistic but it makes sense. (except for the random train which I thought was funny so no complaints)

Only issue being that you generally make it there with zombies right on your ass which I love the thrill of that, but you also generally only make it there with a large total of MAYBE 2 people to hold off the incoming 30+ zombies in a enclosed area without much maneuvering ability. till the doors open then everyone heads towards the chain thing and I've never seen past it cause everyone dies.

Now for the reworking and hopefully making this into a actual movie map. First off, lets get it straight there's no way to fit an entire 2 and a half hour long movie into a map, I understand that, but having things that relate to the movie in a movie map helps a long way.

First off, the starting area. While I do not plan on giving details, a suggestion I can make is one of two. One being more practical than the other.

First: You start it in the residential and neighborhood area and have them race to a car. This can be done with hold off points at jagged gaps that break when zombies approach with cars to hold off behind, cars and objects tossed around to hamper both humans and zombies alike, while making this epic run to a vehicle. Then you begin one of the transitions like you did for the plane in the current map, fadetoblack and reopen at the airport in the movie when they meet up with Uri and his sons and that prostitute he claims to love.

Two: You start in the airport (as opposed to starting in the neighborhood and then going to the airport), you throw up some security checkpoint-like area's as hold offs, narrow doorway that slows zombies trying to get through (like a metal detector), a rope zombies have to jump over, that type of stuff as hold off ideas. Then queue the mid-way part of the map.

After holding off zombies in one of those two starter areas, you're led to the main doors of the airport leading outside where a plane awaits, throw up some bullshit console messages saying the plane is refueling and have a hold off just before the doors, have the doors open and make a run for it, zombies are stopped for a second or two and then doors open again for them, have it mainly be a straight run for the plane on open ground, causing humans to turn around and shoot while running for the cargo ramp.

Then, you continue the map as it already is.

Overall, I think you either make some changes to the map as it already is to improve the first points I made, or you think of something as the second section of this post and remake it to make it a more believable movie map.

Honestly, without the map name, the beginning speech and Mercy's speech, I'd have no idea what the fuck I'm playing when playing this map.

2. Thanked by 2 users:
    mapper (16 Apr 2010), yardy (24 Apr 2010)

Server Administrator

Donations:
    $5.00
    Woaw I really needed this review, huge thanks! I'm not doing sarcastic, I red it all and thanks for the improvement suggestions.
    You played the beta6a, I took the weapon effects out because I believed it had a chance to crash some people's css, wich was true.
    I recommend also playing the final where some of your points are fixed, but noontheless nothing much has changed, except the balance.(That one isn't on the server)
    I think I'll make another spawn, and I believe you are completly right =P

Well about the transition from the appartment to the airport, I guess that was around the only option right now:P

So for the rework of this map, from what saw in your suggestions:

I'll make 4 houses where players will start in, on 2 different streets wich will come together later. The players have around 4 ?(auto)? controlled vehicles where they race the crap out of them, avoid falling objects(eg cars). Then they reach a checkpoint ? The map fades to black and they get teleported to the airport entrance.
    There I have to make an intro hall with luggage and detectors. There is an hold and a door will open, a large corridor leading to the grass area inside the airport.
    Then there is another hold just before you enter the plane.
    and the rest continues.
    Last edited by mapper; 16 Apr 2010 at 03:53am.

SG Addict
    Why does everything have to make sense? Pretty much only problem with the map is those 2 elevators that nobody uses bc they take too long. Point of spawn is to seperate players to minimise zombies, and give humans little head start. Elevators and gates are best for this.

SG Addict
    nice review xeno.

I played map ze_underasd,and im pretty sure thats more 2012 then your map (no offence or anything)

i finded more random things happening there(random cars going after you,running while the heli is behind your back crushing,etc...).People like action so,give it to them!
    what you should improv:

1.Random cars coming into you(deadly)

2.Ground falling apart(not everywhere ofc)

3.More running

Personally i dont like last hold off but rest of map is pretty good!

SG Addict
    Donations:
    $40.00
    My blueprint did suck.
    I made up the starting area, but i dont know if mapper changed it.
    hope to see a new version soon

Baghdad ass up
    Donations:
    $566.00
    Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Woaw I really needed this review, huge thanks! I'm not doing sarcastic, I red it all and thanks for the improvement suggestions.
    You played the beta6a, I took the weapon effects out because I believed it had a chance to crash some people's css, wich was true.
    I recommend also playing the final where some of your points are fixed, but noontheless nothing much has changed, except the balance.(That one isn't on the server)
    I think I'll make another spawn, and I believe you are completly right =P

Well about the transition from the appartment to the airport, I guess that was around the only option right now:P

So for the rework of this map, from what saw in your suggestions:

I'll make 4 houses where players will start in, on 2 different streets wich will come together later. The players have around 4 ?(auto)? controlled vehicles where they race the crap out of them, avoid falling objects(eg cars). Then they reach a checkpoint ? The map fades to black and they get teleported to the airport entrance.
    There I have to make an intro hall with luggage and detectors. There is an hold and a door will open, a large corridor leading to the grass area inside the airport.
    Then there is another hold just before you enter the plane.
    and the rest continues.
    This sounds like it could be an awesome improvement, I cannot wait to play it.

The map is playable like it is now (although pretty hard, but that's no matter), so you don't have to rush, I just posting my thoughts for future improvements.

Server Administrator

Donations:
    $5.00
    I'm making blueprints right now and I can only start this project when I have my new desktop, so atleast end of june, maybe the end of july. I'm trying to make this map's airport as realistic as possible (aslong source alows me to) and probably I will make an seperate map of this later. Because where ever I looked, I never saw a nice airport based map for css. I'm currently basing my aiport on 'Zaventem'(near Brussels) in Belgium. I'm also gathering Ideas so I can start mapping as soon as my pc alows me to do that and I can finish it hopefully this summervacation.

SG Addict
    Donations:
    $155.00
    Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    I'm making blueprints right now and I can only start this project when I have my new desktop, so atleast end of june, maybe the end of july. I'm trying to make this map's airport as realistic as possible (aslong source alows me to) and probably I will make an seperate map of this later. Because where ever I looked, I never saw a nice airport based map for css. I'm currently basing my aiport on 'Zaventem'(near Brussels) in Belgium. I'm also gathering Ideas so I can start mapping as soon as my pc alows me to do that and I can finish it hopefully this summervacation.
    Take pieces of Zaventem and Charleroi, since charleroi is geographically way better...
    It's less harder to make i suppose...

Charleroi

Zaventem

Good luck mapper ^^

btw, to give an idea, i would love to see a hall with a view like this too when you go inside a building...

Would be So awesome ^^

SG Regular
    I love the map and its bad voice acting.

Server Administrator

Donations:
    $5.00
    Here we go.
    This is what I'll be making. (Turn this pic to the right to see)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List