• Infinite Crisis to Close Shop in August

After going full release in March, Turbine has decided to end Infinite Crisis, a DC Comic themed MOBA.

"This was an extremely difficult decision to make," Turbine write. "On behalf of the entire Infinite Crisis team we want to thank all of you for your feedback, support and for joining together to create one of the best communities in gaming."

They do not state a specific reason for the decisions, but it has been known to struggle with its player base.

*EDITORIAL BELOW*

I was a closed beta participant of Infinite Crisis. There was a many a night that I'd be playing IC which xDoodles did his annoying laugh and made fun of me for it. I really actually enjoyed it. I think for me I preferred it to League due to the characters skill sets being simpler and not too over thought. I believe what did it in is shortly before public release they decided to only unlock gamemodes for a week or 2 then you'd have to wait. They initially wanted to not separate the playerbase and shorten the queues, but what I believe they did was shun half their players away for a week or 2 at a time. A week or 2 in video game attention span is an eternity. It is very easy to pick up something else and never come back. I turned out to be one of those people.

The majority of the playerbase liked to play the point capture gamemode, for me, that mode was flawed and easily exploited due to the OP center capture point that could either push the ahead team towards a quicker victory or cause the behind team ahead and towards their own victory. I'm all for giving that one point being a focus to send the game in a direction, but it 99.9% of the time whomever captured the special mid point first won the game, so the other capture point really didn't matter at that point.

I believe this game could have succeeded if they would have stuck to the traditional 3 lane MOBA game mode upon release. Everyone who plays MOBA's understands it and there's not a huge learning curve to get started. I also felt their champion pool to be a bit short, but you can only do so much with the DC lineup, thats why they went Infinite Crisis.

Overall, this is unfortunate but I feel this is almost enviable for any upcoming MOBA based game. Its darn near impossible to compete with League, DoTA and Smite. Those are the 3 big dogs on the small world that is MOBA, anyone else might as well save their money and move on to another project.
    Comments 3 Comments
      BoM -
      Was a trash game. Saw it at PAX before a lot of people and could see it wasn't made to appeal to the average player base. Lots of shorcomings I guess. If you're gonna get into the MOBA market you gotta recognize it's dominated by big name companies, competing isn't easy.

P.S. you forgot to mention heroeos of the storm that just went FTP today and is making some big waves in the MOBA community.
      SpikedRocker -
      Quote Originally Posted by BoM View Post
      Was a trash game. Saw it at PAX before a lot of people and could see it wasn't made to appeal to the average player base. Lots of shorcomings I guess. If you're gonna get into the MOBA market you gotta recognize it's dominated by big name companies, competing isn't easy.

P.S. you forgot to mention heroeos of the storm that just went FTP today and is making some big waves in the MOBA community.
      Yes I did, for me I can't speak much on it due to I have zero care for it. LOL.
      xDoodles -
      IC is the best MOBA in the world.