PDA

View Full Version : Dead Pixel... Exchange?

*Queen VenomousFate*
3 Sep 2008, 07:23pm
I recently bought a Laptop from Best Buy (Gateway P-7811), and the Laptop is all good except for one dead pixel on the very bottom center of my screen.

It is a 1920x1080 display so that means only 1 of the over 2 million pixels is failing.

Best Buy said they would except an exchange for it since it is defective, but I would like your guys opinion on whether or not I should exchange it.

I am afraid that if I exchange it I will end up with one that has like 10 dead pixels.

Is One dead pixel on the bottom about as good as I am gonna get pixel wise?

Or is it worth taking the chance to get a perfect display?

Red
3 Sep 2008, 08:13pm
If it's a laptop then yeah exchange it since you're basically stuck with that monitor otherwise.

Zero001
3 Sep 2008, 08:29pm
I know televisions and monitors are usually 3 pixels for an exchange, but I'm not sure about laptops.

*Queen VenomousFate*
3 Sep 2008, 08:37pm
I Know for sure they will exchange it, however, since it is only one pixel at the bottom of the screen, I am wondering whether it is worth the risk to try and get a perfect monitor, when there is a really good chance I may end up with one worse then I have now.

The question is not whether I can exchange it, but whether it is worth the risk, since I know perfect monitors are uncommon, and the one I have now is only 1
pixel off.

How good are the chances that I am gonna get a monitor with all 2 millions pixels that work properly, not to mention all 6 million sub-pixels.

Dark Torcher
3 Sep 2008, 10:30pm
wow, you actually noticed 1 dead pixel in over 2 million, just use a dark theme for your pc with lots of black and grey, wont notice a dead pixel..

*Queen VenomousFate*
3 Sep 2008, 11:42pm
wow, you actually noticed 1 dead pixel in over 2 million, just use a dark theme for your pc with lots of black and grey, wont notice a dead pixel..

That is no the question, it is whether I have a better chance of getting a better or worse screen if I exchange it.

Dark Torcher
3 Sep 2008, 11:57pm
you can't tell, there is a random chance that you will always receive a laptop with a dead pixel in it, or the second one you get will be perfect, but have a flawed hard drive that will die 2 months after you start using it, and destroy all your files in the process, you can't tell what will happen
personally i would just leave it since you do say it's on the bottom pixel line, so if you just use a black windows taskbar, you won't notice it
but if you feel you must have a perfect monitor, do so

xBloodShotx
4 Sep 2008, 01:00am
i say return it get a new one and if the new one has a deap pixel exchange it till u get a perfect one.

SpikedRocker
4 Sep 2008, 02:39am
Strange, when dealing with our HD television cameras, theres a feature that will fix dead pixels. I dunno if that is the case with monitors but I figure its something to look at. We usually have a pixel or 2 go bad every 3 months and we just go through a process that repairs the problem.

Chobber
4 Sep 2008, 03:23am

Most "dead" pixels will go red on a dark background.. :/

Dark Torcher
4 Sep 2008, 03:50am
Most "dead" pixels will go red on a dark background.. :/

uh, NO? "dead" pixels do not work, so effectively they appear black because no light is emitted from it
though you may see red from the surrounding pixels diffusing light into the spot of the dead pixel

Tyrant
4 Sep 2008, 01:01pm
My personal defunct pixel shows up white and is roughly two inches right and one inch up from the center of my display with a 1280 x 800 display. It sucked at first, but I dont really care now. Given your situation, I would say just stick with what you got, because you never know, you might have more pixels dead on your new one. It's a game of chance my friend. Roll the dice and see where the future takes you.

Eldest
4 Sep 2008, 01:18pm
Yeah I got one dead pixel too, just live with it, not like one pixel is going to make that huge difference