PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Gustav Forms in Carribean

SpikedRocker
26 Aug 2008, 04:15am
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/08/26/hurricane.gustav/index.html

People living on the gulf coast states might want to start preparing. Hurricane Gustav has formed south of Haiti. It is projected to go over parts of the Dominican Republic and split Jamaica and Cuba. As it goes over the western part of Cuba and enters the gulf it is predicted to become a catagory 3 hurricane. After that, it is still unknown which exact direction it will go but with it moving into the gulf as a catagory 3 and moving at a decent clip it could strengthen even more.

Robfal
26 Aug 2008, 04:46am
Well know these forecasters down here in FL, I'll believe when I see it. They get the trajectory wrong like 8/10.

SpikedRocker
26 Aug 2008, 04:53am
From what I've seen they were pretty good with Fay. I've looked at the models myself and I think they got it pretty right. But you need to remember, weather forecasting is educated guessing. Theres no exact science. But with all the open water ahead of this storm and the warm temperatures of the gulf water, it is very likely to cause lots of problems.

GrayFox
26 Aug 2008, 07:28am
Battle down the hatches Florida! Not another disasterous fey!

LegalSmash
26 Aug 2008, 07:32am
Lol. Category three, I may come down to enjoy the party.

SpikedRocker
26 Aug 2008, 07:35am
Lol. Category three, I may come down to enjoy the party.

hehe make sure you pack your concrete boots....but i dunno if that will be a good thing, they will save you from the wind but once the flood waters start to rise you end up like a bad mob hit...sleepin with the fishies...

LegalSmash
26 Aug 2008, 07:41am
hehe make sure you pack your concrete boots....but i dunno if that will be a good thing, they will save you from the wind but once the flood waters start to rise you end up like a bad mob hit...sleepin with the fishies...

Eh, I went through Andrew at ground Zero in Homestead/Ghoulds. I know fear.

SpikedRocker
26 Aug 2008, 07:43am
yeah I'm glad I am mostly out of the way from those things

Repeat
26 Aug 2008, 07:56am
I was down there for Charlie. I'd really like to experience one when I'm not on the SIXTEENTH floor of a swaying building. I didn't like that.

Zero001
26 Aug 2008, 08:16am
IMO it's not worth posting until it gets closer. These things show up all the time during season and the majority never hit.

flowrida
26 Aug 2008, 08:23am
i personally hope it hits so i get more time off from school

SpikedRocker
27 Aug 2008, 04:51am
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/weather/08/27/gustav/index.html

Hurricane Gustav hits Haiti as catagory 1, weakened to tropical storm at 60 mph winds, just 4 mph below catagory 1 status. The storm is expected to strengthen to catagory 2 as it passes between Cuba and Jamaica. The meterologist I've talked to said that models for this storm looks impressive and look to take aim around Texas and Louisiana, but tracks of storms can change.

SpikedRocker
28 Aug 2008, 03:19am
**UPDATE**
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/08/27/gustav.nola/index.html

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/082708_gustav.html?from=hp_news

Louisiana's governor has declared a state of emergency and if Gustav gets to Catagory 3 before it arrives its going to issue a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans. Unlike when Katrina happened, there will be no massive shelter such as the Superdome. The government believes not having a massive shelter will force more people to evacuate. Currently Gustav is still a tropical storm and is expected to become a hurricane again within the next 24-48 hours.

mNote
28 Aug 2008, 09:24am
Funny thing is, people in my city is still continuing their days like nothing has happened.

I'm about to go withdraw all my money from the bank before this hurricane comes and fuck us up.

SpikedRocker
28 Aug 2008, 09:31am
Good idea. Do you have some place to go when this happens?

In the meanwhile, Tropical Storm Hannah has formed in the eastern Carribean. Its target looks to be Florida.

mNote
28 Aug 2008, 10:42am
Good idea. Do you have some place to go when this happens?

In the meanwhile, Tropical Storm Hannah has formed in the eastern Carribean. Its target looks to be Florida.

I might go to South Dakota, where a lot of my child hood friends are.

I'm sure they'll shelter me if I need a place to sort things out.