PDA

View Full Version : i kinda wanted to point this out

STEAM_0:0:18004197
23 Aug 2008, 01:28pm
ive read some of the stuff on the apeal bans page and " we will just ip ban you"
i hope you guys know that you can change your ip by resetting your router or modem...takes 15 secs to do

i just wanted to point that out to you guys here at ZM

jeN
23 Aug 2008, 01:33pm
ive read some of the stuff on the apeal bans page and " we will just ip ban you"
i hope you guys know that you can change your ip by resetting your router or modem...takes 15 secs to do

Except not everyone can, and the IP changed will still be relatively the same. =]

Suri
23 Aug 2008, 02:55pm

That would be only if some one had a static IP, and you have to pay more for that, so allot of kids with the internet don't have that.

Unaimed
9 Sep 2008, 02:36am
That would be only if some one had a static IP, and you have to pay more for that, so allot of kids with the internet don't have that.

Lol no. Thats if you have a dynamic ip.

Static ip - always stays the same.

Dynamic - changes when you reset/restart router

Plus, static costs more per month.

:thumbup1:

Daze
9 Sep 2008, 03:13am
restarting your router would only change your local IP address (within your LAN) unless you have it manually set to the same IP, it would not change your outgoing IP address, which is the same for every computer in your house going through the same telephone switch.

there are ways of getting around this, but those who are stupid enough to get banned are too stupid to know how.

juku
9 Sep 2008, 05:03am
They are not stupid it is just they never learned of it beforehand and learned of it when it is too late. Besides you can mask your outgoing IP address if you wanted to.

trakaill
9 Sep 2008, 05:45am
[Rx] Complex
1 week
Flowrida
2008-08-29
Expired Racism/Racist Name

This will relate somehow

Astrum
9 Sep 2008, 11:48am
I'm pretty sure I know what thread you're talking about. So time to lay down some knowledge.

If you're not paying for a static IP then resetting your modem *may* give you a new IP address. An easier way would be to release and renew your DHCP lease.

As for resetting the router, thats a bit different. If you have a router/modem combo then it'll be just like above. If you're router is separate from your modem then resetting your router would do fuck all. It's on a private network segment and gets its DHCP lease from the modem which isn't a public facing IP.

Now, we don't have to ban by a single IP, we can ban by a block of IPs. That is, we could ban (for example) 127.0.0.1/24, i.e., 127.0.0.0-127.0.0.255 would be banned. So it comes down to us tracing a person's IP, looking at the network segment their ISP owns, and blocking that entire segment. Chances of someone else being on the same network segment is extremely small, but we could always make exceptions.

So you may very well think that we can only ban by a single IP and a single SteamID at a time, but you're wrong. Although rarely required, there are many more tools for us to keep the servers running smoothly than you're aware of.

Z3r0 M4ni4c
9 Sep 2008, 12:02pm
Some are wrong with the dynamic adress.
The ISP have for every house a pre-configured file.
i dont know how its done in the US.
Here in the netherlands you cant switch on/off your modem to get a new ip.
It only asks at the provider for his configuration file.
Then also a ip adres thats pre-configured for 3 months of date.
So the ip-adress stays the same for 3 months and after this it will change to a new one not otherwise.

Thats how it works here in the netherlands and yes its Dynamic only it changes in 3 months you can set the expire date of an IP adres for a time being.

Also i have tested this my ip-adres stays the same (it is dynamic) and i resetted and turned of my modem. Still the same configuration.
And no its not static :wink:

The only difference between static and dynamic ip adresses is that static never gets deleted its a ip thats been manual set.
An Dynamic ip adres you can set for an amount of time on the server how long it stays alive (as they call it).
Unless something goes wrong you still get the same ip adress untill the time is up of the ip adress and you get a new one for again 3 months.
or how long it has been set.

So correct me if im wrong but this is how ip adresses work.
So goodluck with resetting your modem.
You still get the same ip adress from the provider, because of the pre-configured files and alive status of the ip adress (btw i forgot the mac adress story but to make it short. Because the mac-adress is always the same and cant be changed the server knows that one certain ip adress belongs to that mac-adres. thats how the stuff works).

Goodluck with the explanation and if im wrong with something please tell.

Paladin
9 Sep 2008, 12:18pm
[Rx] Complex
1 week
Flowrida
2008-08-29
Expired Racism/Racist Name

This will relate somehow

Not necessarily, the only reason the name is his Steam ID was to make it easier when he appealed a while ago.

Sandstorm
9 Sep 2008, 12:38pm
So the ip-adress stays the same for 3 months and after this it will change to a new one not otherwise.

Thats how it works here in the netherlands and yes its Dynamic only it changes in 3 months you can set the expire date of an IP adres for a time being.

Also i have tested this my ip-adres stays the same (it is dynamic) and i resetted and turned of my modem. Still the same configuration.
And no its not static :wink:

The only difference between static and dynamic ip adresses is that static never gets deleted its a ip thats been manual set.
An Dynamic ip adres you can set for an amount of time on the server how long it stays alive (as they call it).
Unless something goes wrong you still get the same ip adress untill the time is up of the ip adress and you get a new one for again 3 months.
or how long it has been set.

So correct me if im wrong but this is how ip adresses work.
So goodluck with resetting your modem.
You still get the same ip adress from the provider, because of the pre-configured files and alive status of the ip adress (btw i forgot the mac adress story but to make it short. Because the mac-adress is always the same and cant be changed the server knows that one certain ip adress belongs to that mac-adres. thats how the stuff works).

Goodluck with the explanation and if im wrong with something please tell.

in america, at least comcast, you have a permanent address thing like
c-41-102-119-201.hsd2.va.comcast.net and THAT never changes, any ip you have links back to that. BUT you can change your ip easily by just restarting your modem, or entering a fwe commands into cmd, or, if you have a router, clone a mac address and reset both of them and viola

Z3r0 M4ni4c
9 Sep 2008, 12:54pm
c-41-102-119-201.hsd2.va.comcast.net and THAT never changes, any ip you have links back to that. BUT you can change your ip easily by just restarting your modem, or entering a fwe commands into cmd, or, if you have a router, clone a mac address and reset both of them and viola

Cloning a mac adress wont work.
Because ISP's uses the mac-adres they have registered from the modem you normally get from them. If its the same as here in the netherlands.

So cloning them wont work.
The whole ip-adres changing is a solid system at the ISP's
remember the news about the ip's running out :wink:

Thats why its all made solid so you cant just switch on/off or do some cmd anymore. Well thats here in holland then :wink:

Astrum
9 Sep 2008, 01:40pm

I'll try to explain this in a bit more depth. Every ISP has a DHCP server, DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. The DHCP server has a "pool" of IP addresses, like 192.168.3.x, 10.0.x.x, etc... (these are only examples). When a client connects the DHCP server will take one of the IP addresses in the pool and give the client a "lease" on that IP. That is, the client can use that IP until its lease expires, at which point it must renew its lease. If it doesn't renew the lease on the IP then that IP is put back into the pool and can be used by someone else.

Static IPs are slightly different. These IPs still have leases, but only someone with the right credentials may obtain a lease on these IPs (usually dependent on MAC address).

So when you reset your modem it's basically releasing the IP address, canceling it's lease on it, and a whole bunch of other stuff like rebooting the embedded operating system. This is why I said it's easier to just release the IP and renew than restart the entire modem. Of course you're not guaranteed a new address either, only if the server feels like it.

This is not a permanent address, this is a dynamic DNS forward lookup address. The IP is embedded right in there. Assuming for a second that 41.102.119.201 was part of Comcasts block (it isn't, it's part of AfriNIC), then c-41-102-119-201.hsd2.va.comcast.net would point to 41.102.119.201. If your IP address changes, so does your DNS record.

Also, Comcast works by only giving out IPs to people it knows. That is, when you sign up for Comcast they want the MAC address of your modem. If you change that then you're not getting on their network. That's not to say you have a static address, it just means you have to be known in order to get a DHCP lease. There's a very important distinction between static IPs and IP pools for known hosts and IP pools for unknown hosts.

XeNo
9 Sep 2008, 01:54pm
Look at Astrum flexing his TA muscles.

Z3r0 M4ni4c
9 Sep 2008, 02:28pm
I'll try to explain this in a bit more depth. Every ISP has a DHCP server, DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. The DHCP server has a "pool" of IP addresses, like 192.168.3.x, 10.0.x.x, etc... (these are only examples). When a client connects the DHCP server will take one of the IP addresses in the pool and give the client a "lease" on that IP. That is, the client can use that IP until its lease expires, at which point it must renew its lease. If it doesn't renew the lease on the IP then that IP is put back into the pool and can be used by someone else.

Static IPs are slightly different. These IPs still have leases, but only someone with the right credentials may obtain a lease on these IPs (usually dependent on MAC address).

So when you reset your modem it's basically releasing the IP address, canceling it's lease on it, and a whole bunch of other stuff like rebooting the embedded operating system. This is why I said it's easier to just release the IP and renew than restart the entire modem. Of course you're not guaranteed a new address either, only if the server feels like it.

This is not a permanent address, this is a dynamic DNS forward lookup address. The IP is embedded right in there. Assuming for a second that 41.102.119.201 was part of Comcasts block (it isn't, it's part of AfriNIC), then c-41-102-119-201.hsd2.va.comcast.net would point to 41.102.119.201. If your IP address changes, so does your DNS record.

Also, Comcast works by only giving out IPs to people it knows. That is, when you sign up for Comcast they want the MAC address of your modem. If you change that then you're not getting on their network. That's not to say you have a static address, it just means you have to be known in order to get a DHCP lease. There's a very important distinction between static IPs and IP pools for known hosts and IP pools for unknown hosts.

Astrum i know your on the right track only thing here in netherlands is.
Its so configured that even if you do release / renew or turn on/off your modem from ISP you still get same IP adress.
Its not static its dynamic.
And i am absolutly serious.

it only changes one's in the 3 months.

Red
9 Sep 2008, 02:35pm
too much nerd talk in here

Astrum
9 Sep 2008, 02:40pm
Look at Astrum flexing his TA muscles.

too much nerd talk in here

You have no idea how many DHCP/DNS servers I've set up at work. This stuff is second nature to me =/.

edit - We got off track. The point is it's trivial to keep trouble makers off the server with minimal work if so required. Getting a new IP isn't a fix-all.

Red
9 Sep 2008, 03:09pm
You have no idea how many DHCP/DNS servers I've set up at work. This stuff is second nature to me =/.

Apparently too many

Astrum
9 Sep 2008, 03:26pm
Apparently too many

Shush you, build me a slit trench.

Red
9 Sep 2008, 03:36pm
Shush you, build me a slit trench.

That's not my department. Let me transfer you.

trakaill
9 Sep 2008, 04:22pm
I dont know much about all this.. BUT... i have comcast. I have to reset my modem and router almost everyday because I have a shitty router. Im not paying anything yet my IP remains the same. So Astrum explain with simple words please

Astrum
9 Sep 2008, 05:34pm
I dont know much about all this.. BUT... i have comcast. I have to reset my modem and router almost everyday because I have a shitty router. Im not paying anything yet my IP remains the same. So Astrum explain with simple words please

Comcast gives you an IP when your modem starts up. When you reset your modem it gives the IP back to Comcast, but then it (your modem) turns around and asks for a new IP. So Comcast says, "Uhh... Okay... You just returned this one, so you can have it back I suppose..."

That's kind of what happens...

Z3r0 M4ni4c
9 Sep 2008, 05:42pm
Comcast gives you an IP when your modem starts up. When you reset your modem it gives the IP back to Comcast, but then it (your modem) turns around and asks for a new IP. So Comcast says, "Uhh... Okay... You just returned this one, so you can have it back I suppose..."

hmm i was a junior network engineer 2 or 3 years ago.
I stopped because i was bored of IT. it didnt gave any exitement and no talking only sitting or doing stuff.

i like to be outside not inside a building all day :wink:

but that was only to say what you said on previous page when red tampon was chatting here :wink:

trakaill
10 Sep 2008, 08:17am

Ok that makes sense but doesnt every single computer has an IP that remains the same for the comp, even if you move 2000 miles away from your original position, that people can use to trace you back in case they need to.
Thanks for the answer im trying to learn some new stuff.

Mammal
10 Sep 2008, 10:06am
If they go through all this trouble and carry on doing what they used to do then they will be banned again.
If they do all this again and don't do whatever they did again, then we made a better person and got a player that won't do things to get banned.