PDA

View Full Version : First deadly school shooting of 08-09 school year

SpikedRocker
21 Aug 2008, 08:26am
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=62505&catid=2

Central High School Knoxville, TN has had a deadly shooting. Police believe it to be a targeted event and have the suspect in custody. I hate these stories, but they are so big for the business I am in. Hopefully this isn't a sign of sadder events to come.

GrayFox
21 Aug 2008, 08:43am
My school hasn't even started yet. Hell I think most of the schools up here haven't started yet.

PotshotPolka
21 Aug 2008, 08:50am
I propose arming the ROTC rifle squads.

mNote
21 Aug 2008, 09:03am
OMFG My old school in Louisiana is called Central High.

Daze
21 Aug 2008, 09:32am
geez, another american wack job goes rogue.

bet you guys wish you dont have gun stores now eh!?!?

Repeat
21 Aug 2008, 09:34am

Nah, just wish we didn't have wack job rogues.

Daze
21 Aug 2008, 09:42am
I can already foresee the reply to that.

daZe makes a good point?

Red
21 Aug 2008, 09:44am

Is this really Daze or did tehsnipes break into your house take over your account?

SpikedRocker
21 Aug 2008, 10:24am
I propose arming the ROTC rifle squads.

Funny thing, I was in ROTC in High School, Commanding Officer senior year actually. That was the one reason why we didn't have working m1 grands.

Itendtokill
21 Aug 2008, 10:36am
This is a school shooting, but it wasn't like columbine when they killed random people, this kid targeted a certain person and gunned him down.. Thank god he didn't go on a killing spree, and good thing he was caught.. its unfortunate things like this happen..

PotshotPolka
21 Aug 2008, 10:42am
This is a school shooting, but it wasn't like columbine when they killed random people, this kid targeted a certain person and gunned him down.. Thank god he didn't go on a killing spree, and good thing he was caught.. its unfortunate things like this happen..

Yes... it's wonderful that not only do we have the cracked up spree shooters on campus, but now we have students functional enough to kill a target and slip away doing it too.

LegalSmash
21 Aug 2008, 10:49am

Id rather have gun shops than erstwhile chavs running about happy slapping people.

No I just wish more parents would beat their stupid, coddled, overpriviledged emo kids.

More beatings = less school shootings.

The more time outs are given rather than beatings, the more people die from school shootings.

Or wait, birth control.

Jesstilence
21 Aug 2008, 11:19am
I wonder what the kid who got shot did to make the shooter think he had done enough to warrent death.

Oh and this comment makes me want to punch someone in the face.

esmrambo wrote:
The problem is that we have taken God out of the schools!

Itch
21 Aug 2008, 11:42am

Actually I bet the vicitm wished he'd had a gun... eh!?!?

Itendtokill
21 Aug 2008, 11:48am
Actually I bet the vicitm wished he'd had a gun... eh!?!?

Eh i dont think you should be making jokes about people who got killed...

SpikedRocker
21 Aug 2008, 11:49am

You actually don't need to go to a gun store to get a gun anymore. The black market is hot with guns. I'm not just talkin the small 9mm...i'm talkin AK-47 assault rifles. Its freakin crazy out there.

Itendtokill
21 Aug 2008, 11:53am
Current black market price for an AK-47 is £30 (~$60).

You can buy a ak47 for $60???? What???? Jesus

Daze
21 Aug 2008, 11:56am
Id rather have gun shops than erstwhile chavs running about happy slapping people.

your comparing a slap in the face to being shot with a gun?

nice one!

PotshotPolka
21 Aug 2008, 11:57am

nice one!

Not to mention it's a constitutional law, and therefore end-of-fucking-story.

Itendtokill
21 Aug 2008, 12:00pm
Thats just crazy man

LegalSmash
21 Aug 2008, 12:57pm

nice one!

No Im comparing the complete lack of fear in criminals at the state and the people's ability to defend themselves in places where the population does not have the right to bear arms.

Some states here have very restrictive gun laws, they have higher crime rates, or trigger happy cops. Go see Maryland and CA for example. On the other hand in the majority of FL, crime is lessened, especially home invasion, robbery, rape, and other violent crimes, because the chances are high that would be victim is packing heat and can blow your face off.

For my right to bear arms, I'm more than happy to deal with 1, 20, or more imbeciles that go off and shoot schools. Perhaps this will finally cement it into the nation's collective heads that those that exhibit inherently dangerous mental illness, craziness, and dipshit columbine like behavior need to be ostracized, seperated, and kept away from the rest of the population. This is the same for violent criminals, rapists, child molesters, etc.

We need to stop pretending that everyone is inherently nice in this country. There are nutjobs that will do some pretty insane shit if you do not deal with them quickly. Getting rid of guns is never the answer, but rather, blame the assholes that cause the problems, and in the case of minors, their fucktard parents. 90% of the time, the parent of the child has SOME responsibility for the situation, whether its that they don't pay attention, let the kid do whatever it wants, or simply forgets its responsibilities and lets the state take care of the kid. As far as I am concerned, if the kid is under 18 years, and does something like this, and the parent is found to have given the kid the weapon, knowing the kid was a fucktard, then the parent should get conspiracy charges as well as sued for negligent entrustment.

A Texas town recently allowed teachers to carry fire arms in class, because the PD is 30 min away. Jimmy will think twice about bringing his own suburban jihad against the school when Mr. Smith may blow his throat out.

We live in a society of laws, order, and privileges. The best place to rest the physical protection of those privileges, is in the people themselves, not the governmental entity. These people are firemen, policemen, military personnel, and the average citizen with an understanding of the purpose and use of a fire arm, not some shitbag senator who lives on a remote, gated community in Potomac, MD or offshore on Fischer Island, FL who wants to tell an elderly woman in Baltimore or a impoverished, ghetto ridden immigrant family in Liberty City FL that they should rely on the police that never come in time rather than their own abilities to protect themselves.

The United States Constitution is clear on the subject, we have a right to bear arms as private citizens, and the Supreme Court affirmed it again.

Itendtokill
21 Aug 2008, 01:01pm
No Im comparing the complete lack of fear in criminals at the state and the people's ability to defend themselves in places where the population does not have the right to bear arms.

Some states here have very restrictive gun laws, they have higher crime rates, or trigger happy cops. Go see Maryland and CA for example. On the other hand in the majority of FL, crime is lessened, especially home invasion, robbery, rape, and other violent crimes, because the chances are high that would be victim is packing heat and can blow your face off.

For my right to bear arms, I'm more than happy to deal with 1, 20, or more imbeciles that go off and shoot schools. Perhaps this will finally cement it into the nation's collective heads that those that exhibit inherently dangerous mental illness, craziness, and dipshit columbine like behavior need to be ostracized, seperated, and kept away from the rest of the population. This is the same for violent criminals, rapists, child molesters, etc.

We need to stop pretending that everyone is inherently nice in this country. There are nutjobs that will do some pretty insane shit if you do not deal with them quickly. Getting rid of guns is never the answer, but rather, blame the assholes that cause the problems, and in the case of minors, their fucktard parents. 90% of the time, the parent of the child has SOME responsibility for the situation, whether its that they don't pay attention, let the kid do whatever it wants, or simply forgets its responsibilities and lets the state take care of the kid. As far as I am concerned, if the kid is under 18 years, and does something like this, and the parent is found to have given the kid the weapon, knowing the kid was a fucktard, then the parent should get conspiracy charges as well as sued for negligent entrustment.

A Texas town recently allowed teachers to carry fire arms in class, because the PD is 30 min away. Jimmy will think twice about bringing his own suburban jihad against the school when Mr. Smith may blow his throat out.

We live in a society of laws, order, and privileges. The best place to rest the physical protection of those privileges, is in the people themselves, not the governmental entity. These people are firemen, policemen, military personnel, and the average citizen with an understanding of the purpose and use of a fire arm, not some shitbag senator who lives on a remote, gated community in Potomac, MD or offshore on Fischer Island, FL who wants to tell an elderly woman in Baltimore or a impoverished, ghetto ridden immigrant family in Liberty City FL that they should rely on the police that never come in time rather than their own abilities to protect themselves.

The United States Constitution is clear on the subject, we have a right to bear arms as private citizens, and the Supreme Court affirmed it again.

I agree with what you say. Taking away guns isn't the answer, people have to right to defend there homes under any means. If they tried to take away guns, all hell would break loose.

barackobama
21 Aug 2008, 02:28pm
How sad, things like this in life don't need to be.

Repeat
21 Aug 2008, 02:39pm

No I just wish more parents would beat their stupid, coddled, overpriviledged emo kids.

More beatings = less school shootings.

The more time outs are given rather than beatings, the more people die from school shootings.

Or wait, birth control.

I'm a big fan of selective reproduction. If you're going to have kids, you gotta pass a test that encompasses certain aspects of parenting. If you fail, no kids for you - get out of my store. If you have kids without having the license, then they are taken away and given to people who really want children and can't biologically have them. Either that or put them in a super soldier program. Yeah, I think that'd be neat.

LegalSmash
21 Aug 2008, 02:58pm
Forced eugenics. The only way to get rid of chavs.

Hey, as long as its a good purpose, we can rid ourselves of Chavs, the US version, colorfully referred to as "wigger", gangbangers, neglected children by welfare queens, and well, lets also get rid of costly, non-high functioning retards as well, and criminals.

These are a few of my least favorite things...

which can be remedies with a snip.

Tcp-Kill
21 Aug 2008, 03:57pm
This sort of stuff makes me think why...

Just why...

Slavic
21 Aug 2008, 05:00pm
I don't see what the big deal is with the media hype of the school shootings. We get a shooting murder about once every three days in my neighbor cities Camden and Philadelphia.

Also the fact that it happened early in the school year shows that it was because of something that went down during the summer. i wouldn't be surprised if the deceased party wasn't partially to blame.

SpikedRocker
21 Aug 2008, 05:07pm
I guess the big deal that we make it out to be is that this happens in public schools. We trust our school leaders with our children and somewhere their ways of preventing things fail. I'd agree that this is stemming from an arguement over the summer and there would be no way for the school to prevent it due to time. Coming from a school where we actually had a bomb brought into the school and sitting about 10 feet from me, I find the world is so screwed up that something like that could happen. Luckily our system of prevention worked that time and the incident was prevented without even a shout. Schools need to work closer with its students to work out problems between them. We had a program called peer mediation where if students were in a fight or what not other students would talk to them to solve the problem or the students in question could face a longer/harsher punishment. It might not have been the golden solution but I think it helped.

GrayFox
21 Aug 2008, 06:07pm
esmrambo wrote:
The problem is that we have taken God out of the schools!

Because I'm sure that this person was alive when God was in public schools. Just as long as these things don't cause schools to go on backpack checks, then I'm fine with it. Just don't taunt the emo kids, because then one of them might actually think to take action instead of talking back.

broncoty
21 Aug 2008, 08:09pm
If I could carry a gun on campus I would.

Italian Jew
21 Aug 2008, 08:17pm
Only sissies bring guns. You should bring a katana. :001_tongue:

LegalSmash
21 Aug 2008, 09:22pm
Because I'm sure that this person was alive when God was in public schools. Just as long as these things don't cause schools to go on backpack checks, then I'm fine with it. Just don't taunt the emo kids, because then one of them might actually think to take action instead of talking back.

Why are back pack checks a problem? I think they are an excellent idea, as well as metal detectors. Kids have reduced expectations of privacy in their person and property on school grounds.

Checking kids IN school is a start, keeping the non-enrolled, or absent kids OUT for the whole day is something I can see as valuable in preventing violence.

PotshotPolka
21 Aug 2008, 09:28pm
Why are back pack checks a problem? I think they are an excellent idea, as well as metal detectors. Kids have reduced expectations of privacy in their person and property on school grounds.

Checking kids IN school is a start, keeping the non-enrolled, or absent kids OUT for the whole day is something I can see as valuable in preventing violence.

Well schools like mine, which hosts +3500 students is a multi building drive in campus, arrests for drugs and the occasional weapon found on campus is normality, and attempting to secure the campus with the one student resource officer and the "administrators" would be like an Israeli soldier and a troop of boy scouts trying to police the entirity of the West Bank.

GrayFox
21 Aug 2008, 09:29pm

Yes then rectal exams will become acceptable as well. No, checking my backpack is a complete breach of trust, as well as putting in metal detectors or cameras. Your school is doing something wrong if they feel the need for everyone to be checked for fear of guns or knives.

Slavic
22 Aug 2008, 12:02am
Yes then rectal exams will become acceptable as well. No, checking my backpack is a complete breach of trust, as well as putting in metal detectors or cameras. Your school is doing something wrong if they feel the need for everyone to be checked for fear of guns or knives.

It is already noted that while under school supervision, students lose a portion of their right to privacy. Such a standard was shown in the New Jersey vs. T.L.O. case. The school has a right to search without warrant if deemed reasonable.

LegalSmash
22 Aug 2008, 12:03am

Again, its your opinion, but you are incorrect. A bookbag search is nothing at all like a cavity search, rather its a safety check. Your comparison is a drastically overblown hyperbole. Further, precedent in this country has for nearly 3 decades now stated that the students have a lesser expectation of privacy at K-12 school, including their personal possessions such as bookbags, lockers, purses, etc. in the interest of maintaining order, school security, and a safe learning environment.

Even in a university setting, if necessary and called for, the school CAN and DOES include into the dormitory agreement contract clauses which allow for the entry in, and searching of the room in the interest of fire safety inspections, and in the event the need arises. Anything found in plain sight in these searches can be seized.

My school did not have the issue because during high school I was fortunate enough to move out of the crappy area where I was before that NEEDED detectors. That still did not stop them from wanding my bag on the way into events, or having random searches once a semester. There does not even need to be a fear of guns or knives, but a desire to prevent the introduction of drugs, alcohol, or other contraband. Its allowed federally, on a state level, and locally.

There is no breach of trust there at all, you have apparently dreamt this trust up on your own. Most Americans have wild misconceptions on the concept of "privacy" and what the 4th Amendment protects and does not protect. Personal possessions at school, your car (vehicle exception), your bags on transit, your garbage (abandoned onto public property for service) are ALL subject to scrutiny without warrant in many circumstances.

Lastly, before you start saying "bush, 911 and patriot act" many of these exceptions to the 4th have been around since the late 1950s and early 60s, brought about by the courts under CJs Warren, Burger, and Renquist, three comparatively liberal courts on criminal and civil liberty isssues.

SpikedRocker
22 Aug 2008, 03:27am
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/21/student.killed.ap/index.html

Sad this seems to have been a bullying problem. Someone shooting over a medical condition or the way they look is just sick. That kid deserves to be put away for life.

LegalSmash
22 Aug 2008, 06:24am

Sad this seems to have been a bullying problem. Someone shooting over a medical condition or the way they look is just sick. That kid deserves to be put away for life.

Retracted (Agreed. Kids need to harden the fuck up. I can't imagine what would have happen back in my elem, middle, and high school days or my dad or granddad.
WTF. Pussified kid. Its not even a truly detrimental illness. You don't hav hair, WGAS?) Retracted

wtf?

SpikedRocker
22 Aug 2008, 06:44am
Agreed. Kids need to harden the fuck up. I can't imagine what would have happen back in my elem, middle, and high school days or my dad or granddad.
WTF. Pussified kid. Its not even a truly detrimental illness. You don't hav hair, WGAS?

I'm not sure you understood it right, the kid that ws killed had the illness. The shooter was normal. Apparently the victim was bullied alot. I'm not sure what drove the shooter to such actions but man that is way overkill for a bully.

LegalSmash
22 Aug 2008, 07:03am
I'm not sure you understood it right, the kid that ws killed had the illness. The shooter was normal. Apparently the victim was bullied alot. I'm not sure what drove the shooter to such actions but man that is way overkill for a bully.

Thanks, my bad. early morning post, precoffee.

I still think kids need a tougher skin though. In general.

GrayFox
22 Aug 2008, 07:40am

Wait it says they took him into custody. However the website you put in before said that the shooter killed himself. :confused1:

SpikedRocker
22 Aug 2008, 07:58am
Wait it says they took him into custody. However the website you put in before said that the shooter killed himself. :confused1:

I've actually never seen that reported anywheres. I don't remember reading it on the first website either...So now you got me confused on how you got that?:confused1: