PDA

View Full Version : Why is this word not bannable?

Itendtokill
20 Aug 2008, 09:30pm
The word "negro". Im told its not a bad word, but yet players ingame type & use it in a negative form. I see admins on, knowing they can see and hear what they are saying, but choose to ignore it because its not the other "N" word. But yet they are saying it in a racist way. I think anyone toying or playing with the word "negro" should be kicked

GrayFox
20 Aug 2008, 09:32pm
Its Spanish for black. I think if you ban someone for using their language, that would be racism of your own (?)

Itendtokill
20 Aug 2008, 09:33pm
Nono, Im saying if they use it in a way that is racist instead of saying the other N word..

Example:

Fuck those damn negros...

Sounds racist to me?

I dont mean to ban the word period, just the way its said..... i thought thats how i explained it above

Red
20 Aug 2008, 10:28pm
Racism isn't limited to just a single word.

A phrase like that qualifies.

LegalSmash
20 Aug 2008, 11:34pm
the context of the statement must be taken into account in order to determine whether the rule is violated.

vinhex
20 Aug 2008, 11:44pm
Im not sure if I would ever use it like this, but if i said

"I was hangin out with my negro friend"

while very old-school, its not rilly racism...so ya its all about context.

andre1028
21 Aug 2008, 01:35am
It's only racist when you're trying to describe someone (In a bad way) or use it against someone.

Itendtokill
21 Aug 2008, 12:55pm
It's only racist when you're trying to describe someone (In a bad way) or use it against someone.

Yes im talking about when they use it in a bad way, i been hearing it a few times lately missused

2fast
21 Aug 2008, 01:30pm
its not that bad

Itendtokill
21 Aug 2008, 01:40pm
its not that bad

When a person says... "Fuck those negros".... thats not bad? Are you serious?

GrayFox
21 Aug 2008, 01:59pm
Sounds correct to me. Who cares if you say their black, thats what some people's skin color is. The real N word is something wholey different, because it implies something negative.

BOOWY
21 Aug 2008, 02:03pm
It depends on how you say it. English has adopted negro and it does refer to black people in it's English form(See United Negro College Fund), but as far as I know there's no negative connotation with it unless you put emphasis on the word. It's not quite as harsh a word as every juvenile CSS-addict's favorite word is, but I think the same 'rules' apply... meaning anyone off-color shouldn't say it. In Spanish and Portuguese it means black, the literal color.

What it is in English from all the uses I've seen it applied is a less offensive way of saying the N word. Case in point: In television airings of Rush Hour where Jackie Chan goes up to the bartender and is supposed to say "What's up my n-?", it's been aired as "What's up my negro?".

James
21 Aug 2008, 04:04pm
Negro is not racist. It simply means origin of a black African.

Itendtokill
21 Aug 2008, 04:15pm
Im saying.. if someone is using it in a negative form, they should be kicked..

3rd time, example: Fuck you damn negros..

Racist????

Italian Jew
21 Aug 2008, 04:20pm
I would say yes then because it is the way the word is used is negative. Racism is not about what you say, but about how you say it.

GrayFox
21 Aug 2008, 05:59pm
Unless of course the guy whos being talked about IS black, and they take the S off negroes, then it sounds alright to me.

Itendtokill
21 Aug 2008, 06:09pm
Unless of course the guy whos being talked about IS black, and they take the S off negroes, then it sounds alright to me.

Whether they are talking to a black person or not.. just saying in general "FUCK THOSE DAMN NEGROS" is racist.. they are using it in a racist offensive way and using it as a joke...

If they say it in a racist matter then they should be kicked.

GrayFox
21 Aug 2008, 06:11pm
Not to change the subject, but isn't telling someone to either speak English or leave racist as well? Thats pretty much discrimination, which is the same thing your trying to stop.

Itendtokill
21 Aug 2008, 06:30pm
Not to change the subject, but isn't telling someone to either speak English or leave racist as well? Thats pretty much discrimination, which is the same thing your trying to stop.

Show me where I said that? Your trying to cause drama now....

let me say it again... if someone is saying FUCK YOU NEGROS, that is disrespecting player/spam/RACISM

If a player says, how about that college negro fund?, hes refering to something, not disrespecting or intending to cause hurtful intentions.

If a player says omg you stupid negros, that sounds racist to me..

Dont sit there and try to make it sound like im saying either speak english or leave

GrayFox
21 Aug 2008, 06:32pm

let me say it again... if someone is saying FUCK YOU NEGROS, that is disrespecting player/spam/RACISM

If a player says, how about that college negro fund?, hes refering to something, not disrespecting or intending to cause hurtful intentions.

Dont sit there and try to make it sound like im saying either speak english or leave

No, you mistook me. Thats the SERVER rules, you didn't say that. For some reason you can't speak a language other than English in any of the servers.

Trip
21 Aug 2008, 07:55pm
The word "negro". Im told its not a bad word, but yet players ingame type & use it in a negative form. I see admins on, knowing they can see and hear what they are saying, but choose to ignore it because its not the other "N" word. But yet they are saying it in a racist way. I think anyone toying or playing with the word "negro" should be kicked

comon im not racist but blacks say cracker all the time not offensive btw,
first the N word is banned and now this.

Itendtokill
21 Aug 2008, 08:03pm
comon im not racist but blacks say cracker all the time not offensive btw,
first the N word is banned and now this.

You should read all the replys before you assume...

Im not asking to ban the word... just how to ban the people who miss-use it...

LegalSmash
21 Aug 2008, 09:44pm

1. Interpretation is key, ITTK, I think that if the person's statement literally and figuratively must be considered. That being said, the term "Negro" in and of itself is not racist, as stated above, we have a united negro college fund, united counsel of negro women, and the government has even had an area of the army called negro affairs division. This was a term of art and a term in common usage to describe a group of people, and technically is no different than using the term "oriental" or "sino-___" to deal with chinese people.

By the same vein, "negro" is the color of my shoes when I tell my grandmother who does not speak english well about my new shoes. This in portuguese and spanish is the term for a color.

Clearly, the term can cause confusion.

Perhaps this three part test will work for dealing with this issue:

1. Is the term in and of itself intrinsically or extrinsically racist? If so, warn or ban...
2. If it is not by itself racist, was the manner in which the term was used derogatory to the group of persons the word is purported to represent? if so, warn or ban. Look at the whole statement, and its use. example: my girlfriends parents are oriental - ok. "STFU, you smelly oriental, or fuck those orientals" - bannable, racist.
3. If the term by itself or in the particular use by the player is NOT construable as racist, then its not racist and can be let go.

As for "fuck those negros". First, the term negro is not being used to describe a color, or even if the argument is made, the term is applied to a group that is to be "fucked". As used there, its a racist statement. This also applies if the person would say "fuck those lazy, baby popping colored folk" or "fuck those lead-toy peddling, nucmam swilling yellow people". The phrase taken as a whole is racist, despite not using any of the key racist words like "gook, dink, nigger, chink, kyke etc"

In the present case, if I were holding ban power and saw the statement, I would at a minimum warn, and kick, to preserve the decorum of the forum/server.

As a last point regarding racial terms, IMHO if ONE racially derogatory term is banned, they should all be banned, based on RACE, ALIENAGE, and IMMIGRANT STATUS. We have threads on this issue in this same board about this. Notice I left out religion, sex, and sexual orientation - these are not race, and should not be treated in the same manner without a BOD decision IMHO.

2. As for English as the server's language: English is the owners language, its the default setting for the game and the language of the majority of the players. It should, for facility of use, and communication's sake, be the official server language, and should be listed on the server jpg or whatever so people know. If you want a nonenglish server, ask haggard, but for christ sake, dealing with multiple hyper teenage imbeciles that cant master english correctly and its their only language is hard enough. People can speak their own language, but have to deal with the fact that they may not or will not be understood, and if they start mic spamming, suffer the related consequences of the act. Its not a race issue, its a facility issue.

GrayFox
21 Aug 2008, 10:00pm
and technically is no different than using the term "oriental" or "sino-___" to deal with chinese people.

Would Asian not be a better term, since I'm believe all people who look Chinese, Japanese, Philipinese (forgive my rudeness, but this is what goes on in my head) are all a part of Asia. Then again, if you say that, you're giving people the right to say African American, which is the stupidiest term I've heard of.

LegalSmash
21 Aug 2008, 10:49pm
Would Asian not be a better term, since I'm believe all people who look Chinese, Japanese, Philipinese (forgive my rudeness, but this is what goes on in my head) are all a part of Asia. Then again, if you say that, you're giving people the right to say African American, which is the stupidiest term I've heard of.

It isnt better or worst, its the new jargon from PC nazis. I know chinese people that prefer to be called chinese, they've been in this country 3-4 generations, served in wars, and have never been to asia.

African american is a completely bullshit term, its black. The person could be from jamaica, south africa, shit, even spain. See what happens when you call a black cuban "african american" for example of the term's uselessness. Its basically a term construed by liberal apologists who's asshole puckers everytime they hear the term "black" which is the term preferred by most black people.

broncoty
22 Aug 2008, 06:42am
Itend, Admins do not have to act if they see/hear a rule breaker, if they buy admin just to use pretty green font that is their biz.

trakaill
22 Aug 2008, 02:06pm
negro=nigger in many latin languages like french so yeah RACISM=BAN, Negro=Ban warn then ban I dont see why someone would need to use this on our server.....

Gray
2 Sep 2008, 03:21pm
USE COMMON SENCE.

"fuck you negros" clearly means "fuck you BLACKS"

(as people have pointed out negro=black in spanish)

=BAN

C'mon guys leave him alone its good that hes asking about it.

Shows he cares about the players and doesn't want to accidentally ban someone.:thumbup1:

nightmarejr
2 Sep 2008, 06:50pm
mi pelo es negro tu comprende??

matt 187
2 Sep 2008, 07:28pm
kneegrow means black in Spanish.so its just like saying black so might as well ban for saying black now.

Repus
2 Sep 2008, 08:09pm
Well, all in server speaks english why they have to speak something else? I never speak finnish on server.

Maxwelldon
4 Sep 2008, 08:34am
Yea well we have rule of no racism.. Meet up racism in any language : you can ban for it so use your head.

Also, as Repus pointed out : we have also a rule of talking in English on our servers. Myself I allow say something every now and then in foreign languages but when it starts to go to the point that people just talks and talks in their language, that's the point I take act on it.

Metal
18 Sep 2008, 10:18am
I can understand why it would be back but
If they use the REAL word than yes, ban them.
Plus people say that word so they dont use the other word.