PDA

View Full Version : Tropical storm Fay

Veggie
16 Aug 2008, 06:22pm
The US state of Florida has declared a state of emergency ahead of the arrival of tropical storm Fay, which has swept through the Dominican Republic.

Looks like this could be pretty bad if it gets to cat 3 with it heading over really warm waters. Last major storm was in 2004 that was a cat 3 and caused heavy damage, no power/water for 3 weeks, roof gone. I'm in Palm Beach County on the east cost of florida which is not in the direct path but it's too early to tell where it's going, so I may be offline from 3 days to a week after monday. Hoping for the best.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7564611.stm

barackobama
16 Aug 2008, 06:47pm
Good luck to the people who are expecting the storm ;o

GrayFox
16 Aug 2008, 08:49pm
Last I saw it said Cat 1 all the way up.

Itendtokill
16 Aug 2008, 10:13pm
I live in Florida lol

Repeat
16 Aug 2008, 10:40pm
I live in Florida lol

lol ur fucked

Robfal
16 Aug 2008, 10:46pm
I live in Miami, but im used to the hurricanes and all that shit no biggie...

Repeat
16 Aug 2008, 10:59pm
I live in Miami, but im used to the hurricanes and all that shit no biggie...

lol ur fucked 2

mNote
16 Aug 2008, 11:09pm
lol ur fucked 2

lol be nice

Repeat
16 Aug 2008, 11:36pm
lol be nice

well they are!!! i was down there during Charlie way back when at my grandparents condo, and that shit SUCKED! 16th floor, filled the bath tub up with water so we could keep drinking if the water went out...and IT WAS SWAYING IN THE TUB LIKE THE PERFECT STORM.

never doing that again. i fucking hate hurricanes.

Veggie
17 Aug 2008, 12:16am
Cool good to see some more people from florida here.

Itendtokill
17 Aug 2008, 10:53am
Lol its predicted to be a cat 1.. thats nothing, and they dont know for sure if it will raise till it comes closer

SpEeD
17 Aug 2008, 11:51am
I live in Florida, hurricane = no school :D

Suri
17 Aug 2008, 12:28pm
I live in Florida. And I can't wait to be off work for 2 or 3 days:)

flowrida
17 Aug 2008, 04:15pm
fuckin a another goddamn storm for us in miami....BRING IT FAY BRING IT

Red
17 Aug 2008, 05:11pm
lol, tropical storm, that's a pussy storm.

Veggie
17 Aug 2008, 05:33pm
yea it is, I'm just worried if it strengthens is all.

Zero001
17 Aug 2008, 06:32pm
I'm with Red on this one. Anything less than a Cat 3, isn't something to worry too much about. Unlike Louisiana and other states our homes are built for this.

flowrida
17 Aug 2008, 06:34pm
tomorrow im gonna be playing css and football during the storm seeing how its only gonna be a STORM!

Slavic
17 Aug 2008, 07:08pm
Shit man, sometimes your hurricanes turn into tropical storms when they hit us in Jersey. Tropical storms are nothing.

GrayFox
18 Aug 2008, 10:59am
I don't get why all CNN is covering is this storm. Its still a TROPICAL STORM, not even a hurricane yet. If you live in the keys you should be prepared for these storms.

Red
18 Aug 2008, 11:21am
I don't get why all CNN is covering is this storm. Its still a TROPICAL STORM, not even a hurricane yet. If you live in the keys you should be prepared for these storms.

Liberal media + global warming hype + katrina

We haven't had any major hurricanes since Katrina so they're feeling bored and have to follow up the doom and gloom by covering every fucking piss ass storm.

Italian Jew
18 Aug 2008, 11:35am
Yes, that's exactly why... :001_rolleyes:

Red
18 Aug 2008, 11:38am
Yes, that's exactly why... :001_rolleyes:

it is

CNN wants people to die, property to be destroyed, so they can plaster it all over the headlines and somehow blame Bush, global warming, etc etc just in time for Obama's presidential run.

Italian Jew
18 Aug 2008, 12:01pm
So you are saying CNN turned into the whole Fox News fire and brimstone act, but instead of bashing Democrats they are bashing Bush...

I think you have been sipping too much of that magical punch

This may seem unlikely to you, but maybe CNN is doing because there is a lull in other news stories, like the presidential campaign or the Olympics, or maybe a much simpler idea. Maybe They just want to warn people that a storm is coming and that it may be serious. Better safe than sorry.

LegalSmash
18 Aug 2008, 12:28pm
You and CNN must have just wiki'd the word hurricane.
In FL, anything below CAT 2 is not even worth canceling school for.

Is it newsworthy? For channel 7 news in Miami Dade, Broward, and the Palm beaches it may be, but CNN? Pervert Munkeyshit just stepped down, Xiang is going to get shot by china for quitting on the hurtles without trying, perhaps the economy.

The point that Red is trying to put out, I think, is that CNN has much bigger fish to fry than Fay, and if they are stooping to Fay, that they are going about their usual media sensationalism.

Italian Jew
18 Aug 2008, 12:49pm
I've been going through the channels today and CNN had a bit of Fay coverage, and now they are on the Baby Shaker story. They aren't staying on it all day. NBC is showing Olympics footage, CNBC has economy, Fox had a Fay section and now has a missing kid thing with 3 frames on the side, one of which is a radar image of Fay. CNN Headline News now also has a radar image of Fay.

Every news station is covering Fay the same way and same amount of time. They are also switching between stories and not sticking with it. They have updates, but it isn't Fay 24/7.

Regardless if it isn't a serious hurricane, there is still an obligation to dish out safety tips and news about the storm. If anything bad does happen, they can say that they had it on the news and they tried their best to make people safe.

LegalSmash
18 Aug 2008, 01:25pm
I've been going through the channels today and CNN had a bit of Fay coverage, and now they are on the Baby Shaker story. They aren't staying on it all day. NBC is showing Olympics footage, CNBC has economy, Fox had a Fay section and now has a missing kid thing with 3 frames on the side, one of which is a radar image of Fay. CNN Headline News now also has a radar image of Fay.

Every news station is covering Fay the same way and same amount of time. They are also switching between stories and not sticking with it. They have updates, but it isn't Fay 24/7.

Regardless if it isn't a serious hurricane, there is still an obligation to dish out safety tips and news about the storm. If anything bad does happen, they can say that they had it on the news and they tried their best to make people safe.

What obligation to warn/tips? They are a for profit news network, not a state entity. There is no affirmative obligation, nor passive for CNN to warn anybody about shit. If its a purely profit, accolade, "look mommy what I did" act, then it is what it is, media sensationalism at its finest. TMZ isnt telling me about the hurricane/TS.

Italian Jew
18 Aug 2008, 01:52pm
If they didn't air the story, and people got injured/killed, then people can claim the "you should have said something" spiel. The NOAA wants the media to talk about the storm because people watch the News more than they bother to check the NOAA site. In fact, you have some people who don't even know it exists, so how are they going to get the information they need easily? The media can easily display the information and know a vast percentage of the population of interest will see the news. However, they are not doing just because they are good sports. It gives them a good public image for anyone who isn't a paranoid bigot. Aren't all news stations obligated to try and deliver the news? Isn't raising your public image going to acquire more viewers?

TMZ is an entertainment news medium. They only care about gossip, not even real news to anybody who gives a damn. If Lindsey Lohan or Brad Pitt were down there at the time of the hurricane, you would bet to see some information mentioning how they were there. You can't consider TMZ in this argument because it's "expertise" doesn't involve real news.

LegalSmash
18 Aug 2008, 03:39pm
Regarding "arent the news co..."

No they are not, they have no obligation outside of their own desires and organizational morality to do so. They could print total bullshit if they wanted to. They are media org that wants teh monies.

Italian Jew
18 Aug 2008, 04:10pm
They could print bullshit, but they don't. If they were in it just for the money, then why waste time and resources trying to get real news when they could easily make it up or go for the gossip stuff?

Zero001
18 Aug 2008, 04:29pm
You and CNN must have just wiki'd the word hurricane.
In FL, anything below CAT 2 is not even worth canceling school for.

What ^^^ said. Today was the first day of school and the children were marched in. Everyone I know went to work. It's just been a lot of rain. To be honest the unnamed storm of '02 or '03 (I can't remember the year) put up a bigger fight than this.

imkrazie
18 Aug 2008, 04:48pm
They could print bullshit, but they don't. If they were in it just for the money, then why waste time and resources trying to get real news when they could easily make it up or go for the gossip stuff?

When they started, the market for real news had no other 24/7 channel (for news) so they had plenty of space to grow. You start a business to make money then maybe something else not the other way around. Think of the millions they make per advertisement because of their total possible viewers (estimated in billions) and actual ratings.

Compared to the gossip market which will always be overflowing with companies covering it.

LegalSmash
18 Aug 2008, 05:05pm

tropical storm fay = bullshit.

Italian Jew
18 Aug 2008, 05:19pm
Well, when you have the governor call a state of emergency, what do you expect the media to do about it?

PotshotPolka
18 Aug 2008, 09:12pm
FFS. They cancelled classes in Volusia (Daytona Beach area) for tuesday and wednesday, only a day into senior year and already off to a slacker start.

Jupina
18 Aug 2008, 10:21pm
i know my college didnt cancel classes today till 5 pm, and there are no classes tomorrow.
a few puddles, little wind, nothing to get your tv stations' panties all in a bunch.

Zero001
19 Aug 2008, 05:54am
First injury due to the storm reported. Turns out some genius was riding waves and had to be taken into the hospital after he got thrown into shore, pulled out by the current and then thrown back in. Not sure of the area, but I think it was Ft. Myers.

There was a tornado that touched down in Wellington about 4 miles from my house, but no damaged was caused. I'm sure more will sprout around Florida. Hopefully no major damage will be done. I hope everyone being affected stays safe.

In other news my neighbor forgot to put in his lawn furniture and a chair fell on the ground. The dog was complaining because she can't go out and poop. Luckily I had some puppy training pads left over and she agreed to relieve herself in an orderly fashion.

Red
19 Aug 2008, 09:07am
Glad to hear you survived the insanity and chaos Zero001.

What ever did you do while the storm was rolling through?

How long was your power/internet out for?

PotshotPolka
19 Aug 2008, 09:25am
Glad to hear you survived the insanity and chaos Zero001.

What ever did you do while the storm was rolling through?

How long was your power/internet out for?

There are minimal power outages, I last heard it was only about 40,000 without power.

But yeah, I'm further north and winds haven't even picked up yet, nothing compared to the Ground Hog Day storm.

Zael
19 Aug 2008, 10:32am
Better not be like Katrina where Bush did an absolutely crappy job.

PotshotPolka
19 Aug 2008, 10:37am

Because we all know the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of Louisiana were right on top of theirs.
And the storm is weakening quickly, the brunt of it already breaking up.

Red
19 Aug 2008, 11:39am

Yet somehow Mississippi and Alabama managed to take care of themselves just fine.

Italian Jew
19 Aug 2008, 12:40pm
I think the problem was a city below sea level and some levees that needed some work done. For this, you can only blame the residents and state government.

The federal government was slow at giving aid at the time, but it isn't all Bush's fault. Besides, Bush bashing is soooooooooo 2006. He is a lame duck, so nobody gives a shit about him anymore.

LegalSmash
19 Aug 2008, 12:44pm
Ill agree with the levee statement. The state of LA does NOTHING for itself. It may as well just be called Liberia. A state is responsible for policing its structures, bridges, and emergency countermeasures through the funds the government disperses for those purposes. The fed doesnt pay AND do the work for them.

I think the state is a shithole personally, uneducated, backwards (codified law in a common law nation, wtf?), and in dire need of restructuring.

They can start by making N.O. a tourist attraction rather than a hovel for poor people and a place where college kids get herpes and get arrested for pot/coke (Red may have a laugh if he remembers my reference to the latter).

Red
19 Aug 2008, 12:49pm
If I remember correctly, the local government didn't do shit to improve the levees for a few decades even though they KNEW it couldn't handle anything above a CAT 3 yet did fuck all to fix it.

Again, blame rests with Mayor Nagin and his "Chocolate city".

*Yes, I remember that reference, if only I could have seen it for myself.

Zero001
19 Aug 2008, 07:12pm
No power outages all day. FLL was still open, my friend flew in from NY today and there was no delay. She said there was no turbulence during the flight. I checked in on some west coasters in Naples and they're just tired of being inside.

The storm is an extremely slow traveler so we'll be seeing rain until tomorrow.