PDA

View Full Version : Who will help me make the bread?!?!

Repeat
15 Aug 2008, 02:18pm
Once upon a time, on a farm in Virginia , there was a little red hen who
scratched about the barnyard until she uncovered quite a few grains of
wheat.

She called all of her Democrat neighbors together and said, ‘If we plant
this wheat, we shall have bread to eat. Who will help me plant it?’

‘Not I,’ said the cow.

‘Not I,’ said the duck.

‘Not I,’ said the pig.

‘Not I,’ said the goose.

‘Then I will do it by myself,’ said the little red hen, and so she did.

The wheat grew very tall and ripened into golden grain.

‘Who will help me reap my wheat?’ asked the little red hen.
‘Not I,’ said the duck.

‘Out of my classification,’ said the pig.

‘I’d lose my seniority,’ said the cow.

‘I’d lose my unemployment compensation,’ said the goose.

‘Then I will do it by myself,’ said the little red hen, and so she did.

At last it came time to bake the bread.

‘Who will help me bake the bread?’ asked the little red hen.

‘That would be overtime for me,’ said the cow.

‘I’d lose my welfare benefits,’ said the duck.

‘I’m a dropout and never learned how,’ said the pig.

‘If I’m to be the only helper, that’s discrimination,’ said the goose.

‘Then I will do it by myself,’ said the little red hen.

She baked five loaves and held them up for all of her neighbors to see.
They wanted some and, in fact, demanded a share. But the little red hen
said, ‘No, I shall eat all five loaves.’

‘Excess profits!’ cried the cow. (Nancy Pelosi)

http://grayhounds.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/pelosi-cow.jpg
Nancy Pelosi, the lazy cow.

‘Capitalist leech!’ screamed the duck. (Barbara Boxer)
http://grayhounds.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/fuzzy-duck-boxer.jpg
Barbara Boxer, the farked up duck.

‘I demand equal rights!’ yelled the goose. (Jesse Jackson)
http://grayhounds.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/jesse-the-goose.jpg
Jesse Jacked, the cooked-up goose.

The pig just grunted in disdain. (Ted Kennedy)
http://grayhounds.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/ted_kennedy-pig1.jpg
Ted "The Killer" Kennedy. The picture says it all.

And they all painted ‘Unfair!’ picket signs and marched around and
around the little red hen, shouting obscenities.

Then the farmer Obama came. He said to the little red hen, ‘You must
not be so greedy.’
http://grayhounds.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/barack-obama_farmer.jpg
Obama, the farmer of soul.

‘But I earned the bread,’ said the little red hen.

‘Exactly,’ said Barack the farmer. ‘That is what makes our free
enterprise system so wonderful. Anyone in the barnyard can earn as much
as he wants. But under our modern government regulations, the productive
workers must divide the fruits of their labor with those who are lazy
and idle.’

And they all lived happily ever after, including the little red hen, who
smiled and clucked, ‘I am grateful, for now I truly understand.’

But her neighbors became quite disappointed in her. She never again
baked bread because she joined the ‘party’ and got her bread free.

And all the Democrats smiled. ‘Fairness’ had been established.
Individual initiative had died, but nobody noticed; perhaps no one
cared…so long as there was free bread that ‘the rich’ were paying for.

Red
15 Aug 2008, 02:24pm
Fucking gold

broncoty
15 Aug 2008, 02:32pm
hehe +rep awesomeness

Sandstorm
15 Aug 2008, 03:10pm
that may hold true, except for oil companies who just price gouge.. 12 BILLION a QUARTER? and they say they dont price gouge. if the less refieries make it more expensve, they wouldnt be making that much..

LegalSmash
15 Aug 2008, 03:13pm
I just came.

Repeat
15 Aug 2008, 03:20pm
that may hold true, except for oil companies who just price gouge.. 12 BILLION a QUARTER? and they say they dont price gouge. if the less refieries make it more expensve, they wouldnt be making that much..

LOL!

Do you realize that the oil companies only make a PROFIT of less than 10%? That is astronimically small compared to what other companies are making percentage wise.

Their percentage of profit hasn't risen dramatically, if at any. So don't claim price gouging. If you want to know why the oil prices are so fucking high, why don't you investigate what the liberals in congress are(n't) doing.

Governments tax the sin out of oil, which bump up the prices like crazy. Think Obama will help out with gas prices? Hellz no. He wants to INCREASE taxes on oil companies...which would drive prices higher.

Too bad cars don't run on stupidity.

Daze
15 Aug 2008, 03:37pm
my spidey sense is tingling

http://www.forumspile.com/Flame-Flame_on.jpg

LegalSmash
15 Aug 2008, 03:59pm
I'll however state in defense thatUS oil manufacturers only listen to what consumers want, which tend to be big cars because in their soccer mom lexicons BIG = safe somehow.

Italian Jew
15 Aug 2008, 04:02pm
safe until you flip over into a ditch

LegalSmash
15 Aug 2008, 04:10pm
safe until you flip over into a ditch

QFTMFT

havok, the reason the US manufacturers dont cut mileage is kind of three fold:

1. there is no real consumer demand to make them change... people are STILL buying the monster SUVs, despite their uselessness.
2. The EPA regs use an outdated test which does not adequately reflect the current level of technology that could make the requirements higher for ALL vehicles. Entrenched bureaucracy and government stubbornness to change causes the reliance on this shitty, old test.
3. the manufacturers themselves have not suffered a substantial enough loss that they are WILLING TO ATTRIBUTE TO LACK OF MILEAGE INCREASE to change their templates and ideas...basically, here its a lot of see no evil, hear no evil.

My GF drives an Echo, by Toyota, it has excellent mileage and only after gas went over 4 something for her to break $40 USD on a full 10 Gallon tank fill up. This car has since been discontinued by Toyota, yet it had better mileage rates in city than most of the other vehicles produced by toyota. Toyota has continued however, to push its minivan, minisuv, minipick up line ENDLESSLY, despite its dwindling sales.

Regardless of what happens with gasoline on the whole, as well as oil, vehicle size, style, and design will not change without a strong consumer backlash on the company, or something resulting in sufficient loss of revenue.

Red
15 Aug 2008, 05:24pm
Don't knock my fucking Hummer you pussy sedan drivers.

LegalSmash
15 Aug 2008, 06:02pm
lol

Sedans are just as, if not more guilty for the gas issues in vehicles. A station wagon can get better mileage than most land yacht sedans of similar years... its deceptive and people are stupid.. they think smaller car = smaller gas bill... its usually not the case.

SUV's issues are multiple however, bad carriage design, shitty wind resistance design, horrid start/stop/power/movement management (physics wise), and to top it all off, in many cases, horrible interior space use... look at an escalade (red may remember the one im talking about) the majority of the inside was filled with unnecessary panelling that could have freed up several feet of total space within the vehicle.

Italian Jew
15 Aug 2008, 06:39pm
But they are a huge ego trip! You have to compensate your shortcomings with something...right?

PotshotPolka
15 Aug 2008, 06:56pm
But they are a huge ego trip! You have to compensate your shortcomings with something...right?

Buy a gun and put hockey pads in your jacket vest.

Slavic
15 Aug 2008, 09:52pm
No, it's too bad fucktard American car companies didn't take advice and cut down their MPG and stop making ridiculously oversized gas-guzzlers. Now we're in oil dependancy, GG.

If some one buys it, some one is gonna make it. If consumers start buying more gas efficient cars, car manufacturers may look to develop their MPG to entice these consumers.

Remember rule number #1. Its all about the customer. No matter how fucked up or destructive the company is, its the people buying from them that are doing the damage.

Sandstorm
15 Aug 2008, 10:18pm
its all a conspiricy.. they dont up the milage so people have to buy more gas from the oil companies, they have an agreement.. >.> its true

Robfal
15 Aug 2008, 10:29pm
The first post wins.. everythings else FAILS (not including this one)

JK

LegalSmash
16 Aug 2008, 09:24am
which roosevelt are you speaking of? Antitrust laws in the US exist under the sherman antitrust act circa 1890, by the time of FDR, AT laws were in place and supported by statutory mandate AND supreme court precedent.

Sandstorm
16 Aug 2008, 09:31am
what are Anti Trust laws? and i had to lol at ur avatar legal :P

LegalSmash
16 Aug 2008, 09:56am
Antitrust laws are a specific set of laws in the United States of America, and in other countries (albeit under different names) which govern economic competition, seek to prevent the development of purposeful collusion (working together between companies to cause economic strain, artificial demand, etc.), stop monopolization, and regulate certain forms of price fixing, supply and demand gerrymandering.
The best way to think of them is: Economics + Law + Ethical Business Practices = antitrust law.

The term "anti-trust" comes from the big economic problem of them time when the laws were first passed: the "trusts" in the united states were mega-conglomerate interests, usually formed into one large company that essentially bought out or economically ass-raped all of the competition it may have had through extreme raises and drops in pricing to kill off the competition. Standard Oil, U.S. Steel, Carnagie's company, the Railroads, and several other large "industry wide" companies were considered trusts... even Ford and later in the 1900s American Telephone and Telegraph (what's that one kids?).

Congress didnt like one person owning EVERYTHING under the commercial/economic sun, nor the concept of anyone but congress being able to defacto price fix, so these laws were passed to prevent such activities.

The penalties for AT violations AT THE TIME were really steep, it was treble damages (take the total damages and multiply by 3) AND a fine of several million dollars, depending on the degree of violation, additionally prison time was a possibilities for the guilty parties, BOD, etc.

The problem with AT today is that the penalties have not really been raised, so the million dollars fine feels like nothing to a company making billions... what keeps AT in the "relevant to our interests" section is the treble damages.. 1 million dollar fine not too bad, but a 100 million dollar damages award trebled is 300M, and THAT is nothing to laugh at.

An associated but not completely synonymous area of antitrust is what we call merger guideline and regulation: the creation of a single company out of the merging of several. This has become the "new" facet of antitrust, as it is where the biggest chance for malfeasance exists currently.

I'll post a thread with a case or two if you would like.

Sandstorm
16 Aug 2008, 10:09am
but arent the gas companies a cartel? i mean its not a coincidence that ALL their prices are within 5-7c of eachother..not like competitive pricing.. why do they get away with it?

LegalSmash
16 Aug 2008, 10:27am
but arent the gas companies a cartel? i mean its not a coincidence that ALL their prices are within 5-7c of eachother..not like competitive pricing.. why do they get away with it?

Thats not a cartel th ough, they are entirely seperate organizations/corps.. as to prices, its what the market will currently bear, its called parallel pricing, if you can sell at #$, so can I... its a good thing, or else they get into bidding wars to the bottom price and the whole gas economy collapses.

OPEC on the other hand, is a defacto cartel. It sets production, and through that, prices, as it feels is appropriate: All the asshole countries are in it too... axis of evil and all.

Outside of a FEW oil companies that have oil stakes outside of the Opec controlled region, EVERYONE goes to Opec for oil. They literally fix prices, which, here in the US would be illegal.

Red
16 Aug 2008, 10:35am
The real cartel is OPEC, which are the countries that supply most of the worlds oil to oil companies.

If OPEC decides to sell oil at 100 $ a barrel, then EXXON, SHELL, BP etc etc etc are all buying oil at the same price which is another reason they also sell gasoline as almost the same prices.

What do you expect them to do? Undercut their competitors on a something that they all pay the same price for? As it is their profit margin is already ridiculously low. The government makes more per gallon from taxes than do the oil companies.

Not only that, but all the ridiculous taxes that the government imposes on Oil companies is passed on to us.

If anybody actually thinks that companies pay taxes they're wrong. All those taxes are already factored into their financial analysis, they just charge consumers (us) more money in order to recoup the money to pay for taxes.

So if you think "windfall profit taxes" or any other corporate punishment is a brilliant idea then you may as well just go and burn your own money.