PDA

View Full Version : ***HOW NOT TO GET YOUR ACCOUNT INFO STOLEN***

James
15 Aug 2008, 02:08pm
Do not EVER give someone your password. No one will ever need to use, including any "VAC" staff you come across on steam. This is the same for almost every single online game.
Do NOT enter your steam account name/password on ANY other site, other than to use it to login to steam.
Always check a website url, to make sure it isn't a fake one, trying to phish your password. Look at the URL. If it isn't www.steampowered.com (http://www.steampowered.com), it isn't legit. Legit steam websites may also have http://store.steampowered.com/. DO NOT TRUST ANY OTHER WEBSITES.
Always be wary of fake websites and logins. If you aren't sure of the legitamacy of the website, don't download anything from it and don't use any logins.
Do not download files you are unsure of as they can contain viruses and keyloggers.
Do not use the same password for everything, stay away from easily guessable passwords: Birthdays, hometowns, parents name, your name, password, 123456, qwerty, etc. Passwords that contain both numbers and letters are best, symbols also help.

I hope these few steps can help many people!

DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU HAVE COME ACROSS A SCAMMER. Please post both a chatlog and their steam community page. I'm sick of all these announcements when this sticky should have been used for that, as it's a sticky. If you would like to indicate someone on your friends list who plays here has been hacked, please include their previous name and that the scammerr changed it to.

AppleShark
8 Nov 2008, 11:50am
Some guy called Teacup: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197973873944

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7559/teacupur0.jpg

Loganator456
8 Nov 2008, 12:31pm
Wow... that's sad and hilarious at the same time.

Phoenix
8 Nov 2008, 02:41pm
this one is better http://futuremark.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23914

:rlol::rlol: kid got his ass pwned :001_tongue:

Paul
8 Nov 2008, 03:46pm

This thread is to be used for account hijacks and messages recieved from these hijacked accounts that are connected to the community. No ones found on the internetz.

jigglebelljr
23 Dec 2008, 10:52pm
thanks james you really opened my eyes thankyou and have a happy new year

Bubbles
23 Dec 2008, 10:57pm
OMG ZOMBIE

thread i mean

good job jiggle

hellfury
29 Dec 2008, 02:57pm
hey guys any site that you have to enter a username and password into should have https:// in front of it or it is not a secure and probealy fake site.

Dannen
29 Dec 2008, 03:31pm
:O Steamgamers.com doesn't have HTTPS on it! H4X

MasterkennyG
29 Dec 2008, 04:59pm
... coudnot upload the conversation between me and this other guy

Sandstorm
29 Dec 2008, 08:50pm
Hai thx gj

Wrathek
30 Dec 2008, 08:15am
3 Easy steps to not get your account stolen:

1. Don't be stupid.

2. Don't be a fuckin idiot

3. Don't be fuckin stupid.

SneakySnake
11 Mar 2009, 08:13pm
Well, my old friend Blackout has been hacked it seems. He sent me a msg telling me to go to some montage video that im included in. He said to log into forums. strangely the link was NOT Steam Community but rather a fake version containing hyphens. And is had some strange .freehostia. part in it? Im not fucking falling for that again.

SneakySnake
30 Apr 2009, 04:18pm
Seems Blackout is still hacked.

Suri
1 May 2009, 06:38am
Well, my old friend Blackout has been hacked it seems. He sent me a msg telling me to go to some montage video that im included in. He said to log into forums. strangely the link was NOT Steam Community but rather a fake version containing hyphens. And is had some strange .freehostia. part in it? Im not fucking falling for that again.

Why would any one fall for this. This is the oldest way to get your steam account stolen. The whole check out this montage video with you in it. Why would any one click that. Its the most known hack trick for steam.

It's simple don't click on links in a steamchat from any one. EVER!! If they really want you to see it have them email it to you or get on vent and put it in your comment.

Psyche
1 May 2009, 09:13am
steamcommunity.com is another good site.

Jazz
1 May 2009, 09:18am
Thanks for the useful info.

| Exit Wound |
1 May 2009, 12:28pm

wahahaahha owned

Iron_Man
6 May 2009, 04:19pm
Yeh i have had a few people try this to me and failed so hard, thanks james anyways this thread is really useful

Leon
11 May 2009, 07:24pm
What about a friend sending a website to you with a spray they made, should you just change password for precaution? If so i did

Loganator456
13 May 2009, 05:52pm
What about a friend sending a website to you with a spray they made, should you just change password for precaution? If so i didWhy would you need to give out your information to go to a site and get a spray?

Leon
13 May 2009, 06:17pm
Why would you need to give out your information to go to a site and get a spray?

No thats not what i meant, Okay friend made a spray, gave me link, and all but i was "worried" at the time but i did NOT give any info out. I wasnt sure if the link which i got the spray was okay.

Loganator456
13 May 2009, 06:38pm
Oh, ok.

PuMa
21 May 2009, 01:42pm
NO!

DoubleSb
21 May 2009, 01:55pm
NO!

Wtf Spam?

MasterkennyG
21 May 2009, 02:13pm
he can do it its a sticky, .. i think

Doctordan
21 May 2009, 05:43pm
he can do it its a sticky, .. i think not the point one word anwsers that arent need they addd nothing to the thread

Sgt_Church
26 Jul 2009, 11:04pm
Theres a guy named GodTupac, Ill get some other info about him later and post it in an edit. Im going to see if I can get someone to follow him. Whatever you do, DO NOT add him. He tried to lead the clan "The Sons of Anarchy" or something like that (SOA) And he failed at it, he came back with revenge on me and my clan when he found out we got bigger than his shit clan in less than a month after his crashed and burnt after a week, trying to hack, crash, and scam his way into my servers / clan. He failed at trying to take me and the co-owner's down and started taking out our friends accounts and selling them for server money. DO NOT let it happen to you! (Link to his steam page will be edited in later)

(The reason for all of this, We kicked him out of our clan when it had less than 20 people when he left our servers that he promised to support, rot. When his servers crashed and we got more clan members than him he got into a rage and wants to take us and our servers down)

Long post, eh?

Hazardous
26 Jul 2009, 11:26pm
Theres a guy named GodTupac, Ill get some other info about him later and post it in an edit. Im going to see if I can get someone to follow him. Whatever you do, DO NOT add him. He tried to lead the clan "The Sons of Anarchy" or something like that (SOA) And he failed at it, he came back with revenge on me and my clan when he found out we got bigger than his shit clan in less than a month after his crashed and burnt after a week, trying to hack, crash, and scam his way into my servers / clan. He failed at trying to take me and the co-owner's down and started taking out our friends accounts and selling them for server money. DO NOT let it happen to you! (Link to his steam page will be edited in later)

(The reason for all of this, We kicked him out of our clan when it had less than 20 people when he left our servers that he promised to support, rot. When his servers crashed and we got more clan members than him he got into a rage and wants to take us and our servers down)

Long post, eh?

Cool story bro.

dr|jake
30 Jul 2009, 09:43am
attemted account steal failure, goes by gaming news and states LIES! -->http://i31.tinypic.com/2j5bg2c.jpg

2 Dwarves, 1 Coat
30 Jul 2009, 10:03am
Why are people posting info on fly-by-night PHISHERS (NOT HACKERS, FOR THE THIRD TIME, SCRIPT

KIDDIES ARE MORE "HACKER" THAN THESE PEOPLE ARE) who will change their names every hour

anyway? The only defense is good common sense (Unintentionally rhymes). Knowing today's PHISHER

names won't help he who can't spot one on his own.

SoulKeeper
30 Jul 2009, 11:07am
I was at a different community at the time; and someone was hacking a shitload of people because of a fake page.
Instead of simply warning us, he put it on the forum and said "NO CLIK U R GET HAJD" and like... 6 people clicked it and entered their info.

Jizzy
1 Aug 2009, 07:25am
rule 1 is pretty ovious xD

RiotJavelin
1 Aug 2009, 08:25am
one simple thing do not download pronzZzZz

Movement
1 Aug 2009, 08:30am
one simple thing do not download pronzZzZz
wuts the point of downloading pronzZzZz if theres free websites -_-

RiotJavelin
1 Aug 2009, 10:30am
lol you still can get shit doing that I hope you know that :D

jeN
5 Sep 2010, 04:51pm
On Hanks request and because some of you just aren't the smartest, resticky'd!

Dracula
5 Sep 2010, 04:56pm
On Hanks request and because some of you just aren't the smartest, resticky'd!

Seriously, people need James to tell them this...

jeN
5 Sep 2010, 05:00pm
Seriously, people need James to tell them this...

Considering people still keep falling for them darned phishing links, yes unfortunately.

James
5 Sep 2010, 08:01pm
Considering people still keep falling for them darned phishing links, yes unfortunately.

I thank both of you very much for your kindness :/

APenguin
6 Sep 2010, 12:21am

Jen you know you almost fell for it.. Its the lure of the penguinn.. :thumb:

Shine
6 Sep 2010, 10:56pm
Just dont be retarted :)

Pingu
5 Dec 2010, 10:58am
Just remember, steam will try to detect the legitemency of a website with any words with "steam" or "valve" in it, when someone sends a link to you through steam. If it gives this message, do NOT enter your details in it such as username and password.

HZK
5 Dec 2010, 12:58pm
isn't that a tiny bit obvious anyway?
If you fall for that then you 25% deserve to lose your account...

crazy_tim412
5 Dec 2010, 01:06pm
so you bump it for a unnecesary summary of the first post and a +1?

Pingu
5 Dec 2010, 01:55pm
so you bump it for a unnecesary summary of the first post and a +1?

Im just warning, as a school friend had this happen to him as he checked the "do not show this message box" for the warning. Luckily he managed to regain the account though.