PDA

View Full Version : Vista Nub here

NIKO
6 Aug 2008, 09:25am
I am very new to vista, and i hate it to be honest. But I have downloaded steam and installed HL2 and CSS onto a vista computer. Every time i start either one up it goes through the opening scene and ten closes and gives me a Valve engine error. I have ran HL2 through "Can You Run IT" and it said that I passed both min and recommended, so I know the lappy can handle it. does anyonehave any suggestions?

GrayFox
6 Aug 2008, 10:41am
Run it through administrator.

GrayFox
6 Aug 2008, 10:59am
Is it possible to switch my computer from Vista to XP?

Trip
6 Aug 2008, 11:17am
If it was XP originally and you still have the Windows disc or a backup then you can just reinstall Windows XP over it. It will, of course, wipe everything off the computer.

i have vista and i love it. the best computer i ever had.

GrayFox
6 Aug 2008, 11:19am
If it was XP originally and you still have the Windows disc or a backup then you can just reinstall Windows XP over it. It will, of course, wipe everything off the computer.

But if it was built on Vista? Could I move all my files onto my external hard drive and then somehow switch it?

Itch
6 Aug 2008, 11:27am
Depends on if the XP drivers needed for your hardware are available. On laptops that can be a bit iffy.. but on desktops you can almost always install XP.

Red
6 Aug 2008, 11:41am
lol vista

Daze
6 Aug 2008, 12:00pm
create a partition, install virtual machine.

that way you have the best of both worlds.

Red
6 Aug 2008, 12:07pm
A bit of heaven and hell

broncoty
6 Aug 2008, 02:10pm
I am very new to vista, and i hate it to be honest. But I have downloaded steam and installed HL2 and CSS onto a vista computer. Every time i start either one up it goes through the opening scene and ten closes and gives me a Valve engine error. I have ran HL2 through "Can You Run IT" and it said that I passed both min and recommended, so I know the lappy can handle it. does anyonehave any suggestions?

specs?

NIKO
6 Aug 2008, 07:52pm
this thread has become a cock fight between vista and XP......The lappy isnt mine and i dont want to ruin someones lapy by installing XP and having driver issues so im leaving her laptop with Vista. Once again, it can handle the game it just loads and then minimizes and comes up with a engine error. maybe I will reinstal. I cant wait to get my game machine working. Please only post helpful things, not what OS is better or how to convert to XP.

GrayFox
6 Aug 2008, 08:54pm
I asked how to convert to XP, so they were helping me. llols.

Aaron117
7 Aug 2008, 03:20pm
Hm, I've used Vista since 6 months after the release, the only problems I have is Hl2.exe crashes, but a nice Game restart fixes it, it only happens if something major onscreen/ingame happens.

-Aaron-

Mammal
8 Aug 2008, 09:51am
Reinstall, run as administrator, make sure you do have good enough specs, try plugging a microphone into the rear jacK (dont ask why it works for cod4).

vanishh
8 Aug 2008, 10:30am
i have xp but vista looks like it haves some very nice and useful features but is it worth buying everybody has there own thoughts about this so im confused

Dracula
8 Aug 2008, 11:48am
Vista is a bitch but when u get used to it its awsome :]