PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't they warning us about dihydrogen monoxide??

Red
29 Jul 2008, 10:20am
Dihydrogen monoxide:

* is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
* contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
* may cause severe burns.
* contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
* accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
* may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
* has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

* as an industrial solvent and coolant.
* in nuclear power plants.
* in the production of styrofoam.
* as a fire retardant.
* in many forms of cruel animal research.
* in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
* as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

SAVE THE EARTH BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

MawlljmaS1w

AppleShark
29 Jul 2008, 10:35am
Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:...
* in many forms of cruel animal research.

Cruel animal research? So what, you recommend we use babies? When there's a good alternative to animal research available, you can claim "cruelty".

mNote
29 Jul 2008, 10:41am
If you didn't know, water bottling companies have this in their product.

BOOWY
29 Jul 2008, 11:01am
Carlin said it best with all the "save the world" crap. There is no save the world. The planet's just fine, and will be fine for quite awhile. It's been fine for billions of years. It's us that aren't fine. The Earth has survived comets and asteroids smashing into it, it has survived ice ages, it has survived more mass extinctions than you can count fingers on one hand, it'll survive us too. The Earth is expected to be effectively habitable for another 500 million years or so. We're like a nasty rash to the Earth, irritating but hardly life threatening.

Red
29 Jul 2008, 11:15am
But we're destroying the planet. Greenhouses gases are warming it up! Just look at data from the last couple decades, the earth has warmed up a fraction of a degree.

You can't honestly expect me to believe the the earths climate has been changing on its own.

GrayFox
29 Jul 2008, 11:26am
Just stop having kids... I mean if people don't have a kid for a year, think of the population decrease, meaning less stuff we have to make and less products used. Not to mention moar for me!

SpikedRocker
29 Jul 2008, 11:33am
But we're destroying the planet. Greenhouses gases are warming it up! Just look at data from the last couple decades, the earth has warmed up a fraction of a degree.

You can't honestly expect me to believe the the earths climate has been changing on its own.

I agree. but I think its more we are accelerating the phases the earth goes through every 10,000 years. The earth has its own "seasons of change" The tilt of the earths axis causes these changes. Thats why we have "ice ages" the earths tilt goes away from the sun durring this period causing massive freeze to occur on the northern hemisphere. This will also change our magnetic pole. Theres alot of natural changes that are occuring, but our presence seems to amplify or quicken these changes. If you were to be alive 5000 years from now you'd prolly be like what's global warming? "Mother Earth" always fixes her self. Weather we are still around after she fixes it, is another queston.

Italian Jew
29 Jul 2008, 11:38am
I saw a Dihydrogen Monoxide thing on "Penn & Teller's Bullshit!". A bunch of hippie environmentalists just signed a petition banning it not even knowing what it really was. Kinda sad really.

As for global warming, humans are having an effect, but it is not as bad as Al Gore would make it out to be, nor is it as good as others, like Red, pretend it is. It is hard to interpret temperatures and other factors from hundreds of thousands to millions of years ago and it is equally hard to determine what may happen in the future because we don't know all the variables that are involved nor will be involved. In chemistry terms, it is obvious that there an effect, but right now, it isn't huge (at least not to us).

I do support programs that limit our emissions and effect on the environment because that is just smart long term thinking because eventually, this will become a problem to the extent that Gore fears it. Besides, developing better energy sources leads to future scientific developments that may better humanity as a whole. Good for us, bad for the Amish.

Itch
29 Jul 2008, 11:41am
Had Red turned a new leaf.. or is he just stirring the pot.. you decide.. Personally I detect sarcasm..

Gas Price Fly Up Again http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/30/t1home.gas.prices.mon.02.ap.jpg

And Red's Reply

Awesome, now Hummers will be a lot cheaper. I'm off to buy an H1.

I agree we should be looking for alternatives etc, but at the same time why the fuck not tap the resources we are sitting on while Cuba and China drill off our coast without hesitation.

And as for the "environmental" factors, blow it out your ass, it's minimal and wildlife is doing just fucking dandy.

Fuck environmentalists and the fucking flock of Politicians and Media that pander to them and put us in our current situations and point the finger and everyone BUT themselves where it belongs. Twats.

I don't want to hear a single more whine about gas prices from libs who hinder our very ability to become more energy independent.

More nuke plants, nope, more oil, nope, more coal, nope, more wind turbines, okay, but not where I live, they're too ugly (Read: Ted Kennedy).

imkrazie
29 Jul 2008, 11:50am

We just came out of something called "The Little Ice Age" where temperatures dropped 1-2 degrees below normal and we just recently came out of it.

Also, there was a Medieval Warm Period where temperatures went up 2-3 degrees and brought a boon to population, life expectancy, and agriculture.

Do you think that humanity brought about temperature changes back then?

Temperatures were at their highest in the 1930's then went back down for a couple of decades and then recently capped in 1998 (still below the record highs established in the 30's).

Isn't it great that the Earth's been cooling for a decade?

Repeat
29 Jul 2008, 12:17pm

IT'S ALL GEORGE W. BUSH'S FAULT TOO!!!

Red
29 Jul 2008, 12:19pm
Isn't it great that the Earth's been cooling for a decade?

You obviously haven't seen An Inconvenient Truth. The polar bears are even losing their environment, how will they survive when it gets warmer?

How can you trust records from the 1930's, their mercury thermometers were wildly inaccurate.

Just look at all the hurricanes we had a couple years ago.

Italian Jew
29 Jul 2008, 12:19pm
There is also a negative correlation with the amount of pirates on earth...

rofl

Pastafarianism FTW!

Itch
29 Jul 2008, 12:20pm
The world is coming to an end.. Run for it!

SpikedRocker
29 Jul 2008, 12:26pm
Had Red turned a new leaf.. or is he just stirring the pot.. you decide.. Personally I detect sarcasm..

Man itch you got some good memory...i forgot about that post...lol

Red
29 Jul 2008, 12:33pm
blast, the ploy is blown

(thought my sigs would have been obvious enough)

Repeat
29 Jul 2008, 01:31pm
Plus there are perks to Global Warming!!

1.) My house will be closer to the beach. That sure would be nice.

2.) Homeless people won't freeze to death at night. Think of the homeless!

3.) Sunblock companies will make more money. Hooray for UV-Protection! Invest now!

Add your own!

Dark Torcher
29 Jul 2008, 04:09pm

We are not destroying the planet, we are destroying the most favorable conditions for our survival on the planet. The Earth does not need an atmosphere. Even if we nuked the entire surface, the Earth would still be there, new life would emerge eventually as most the substances needed for life are on Earth. I say most because life does not need to be carbon-based. I don't want to ramble so I have to stop.

Slavic
29 Jul 2008, 04:09pm
http://neveryetmelted.com/wp-images/PirateGraph.jpg

http://www.sciencepunk.com/v5/gallery/trends.gif

Do your part to save mother nature, and pirate more movies and video games. It's what Jesus would've wanted you to do.

Slavic
30 Jul 2008, 06:51am
No, you fool, it's all a conspiracy. Global Warming is an alert system for UFO sightings. It dips just before there is one. See:

[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd183/Havok93/globalwarming.jpg[IMG]

mine is so much better than yours. Just delete your post and move on

Gray
30 Jul 2008, 08:51am
http://neveryetmelted.com/wp-images/PirateGraph.jpg

http://www.sciencepunk.com/v5/gallery/trends.gif

Do your part to save mother nature, and pirate more movies and video games. It's what Jesus would've wanted you to do.

......................................LOL!:rlol: