PDA

View Full Version : ze_NightoftheLivingDead

Jaffa
29 Jul 2008, 07:20am
After being inspired by venoms new map (and his giant failbox), i've decided to attempt my first proper map. I've never really finished a map project, and hopefully having this thread here will give me motivation to finish it.

I've got my ideas layed out on paper, this is the current flow of what the map will be:

\/

Graveyard: spawn,buyzones,gravestones and mausoleum

\/

Route 1*:

Road: road follows near one side of map, bridge (breakable**) over river (river runs through middle of map), lack of obstacles mean that players can run without having to move around objects

\/

Petrol pumps: If any of you have seen the film, you will remember the scene where they try to fuel their car up whilst trying to escape the house. the pumps here will be a little defensible point (maybe with some boxes, old cars, etc). The pumps will be destroyable, i'm still deciding whether to set this off to use a button (with a timer), or simply make them breakable.

\/ House: see below

\/

Route 2:

Forest: relativly dense woodland, with a thin path weaving through (wood will be passable, so you don't have to follow the path). Halfway through runs the river, with another breakable bridge.

\/

House:

This is the final destination, where players will have to defend. I am considering ringing it with a high fence, with two breakable gates that players can close on zombies (this would buy the humans some time to get into the house). The house itself will be as true to the film as i can make it. The windows will all be boarded up (upstairs and downstairs), and zombies will have to break through the boards in order to enter the house. I'm considering making it that the doors can only be opened by humans (but breakable, although harder to break than the windows).

\/

Basement:

The bottom of the house, this is where players will go to survive the nuke (i know there is no nuke in the film. I'm not sure yet how defensible this will be.

*: the map is open plan until the end, but i am making two, posibly three main routes, which will provide advantages in terms of speed and defense
**: the river will be relativly wide, i'm thinking of a gap similar in width, or maybe slightly shorter, as the oostworld bridge crossing, with a little bit of the pushback to make it a slower route

I am hoping to put in one or two vehicules once the main part of the map is finished and working.
One main worry i have is whether the map will cuase fps issues due to it being open ended.

Suggestions are welcome, as i'm still ironing out my ideas. Also, if anyone is already making/ knows of a map of Night of the Living Dead, please let me know.

So far i have a hill, a small building and a tree!

Jack Napier
29 Jul 2008, 11:43pm
Hooray for all the new maps!

Can I get a hallelujah?

Jaffa
30 Jul 2008, 05:53pm
Got the graveyard pretty much finished, still trying to optimise it and get its lighting to work.

This is a teaser of what it looks like, i've fiddled with the SS's brightness, as my light entities weren't all working when i turned it on.

Incidently, i've got what is supposed to be a fire benath my ss, it has the env_fire and env_heat set, but doesn't seem to want to light...

Madness
30 Jul 2008, 09:16pm
Wow Pretty much my idea... but w.e:mellow:

JoniX
31 Jul 2008, 04:06am
You missing ent_firesource?? http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/2418

Jaffa
31 Jul 2008, 05:04am
Madness, i assumed your thread was for producing ideas, you didn't mention you were already making a map

Jonix- thats the tutorial i used to make the fires, i guess i've just screwed up somewhere along

Jaffa
31 Jul 2008, 05:59pm
Bump!

Finally got the fires to work, didn't have much time to map today though :(

Screen shots are a lot darker than it actually is in the server, i haven't made a proper skybox yet, so i stuck some black texture blocks on the edges for the sake of the screenshots

imkrazie
31 Jul 2008, 06:12pm
Make an underground tunnel from one of those crypts in the graveyard (kinda like Hellboy II) and make it pop up somewhere near the house {this would be a secret though}.

Jaffa
31 Jul 2008, 06:21pm
I've got something similar planned :)

The graves are used in the map though :)

Svendy
31 Jul 2008, 07:04pm
looks great

Jaffa
4 Aug 2008, 06:01pm
quick question for mappers, how do i put leaves in my trees? is it simply i need to pick the right model, or is there a specific entity i need?

Tyrant
5 Aug 2008, 12:13am
There are trees with leaves in your props folder, but if you are referring to adding individual leaves to a tree, then you may have to find some online to download or start texturing.

Madness
5 Aug 2008, 01:03am
Can i have some Credit.... I mean i kinda Pitched the Idea of a Zombie Movie Map 0.0:glare::glare::closedeyes:

Paladin
5 Aug 2008, 01:23am
You pitched the idea of A zombie map, not THIS zombie map. You pitched the idea of George Romero's Land of the Dead featuring a large city, not his Night of the Living Dead featuring a cabin under attack.

OK! i have a idea...the land of the dead city...you know the triangle city surrounded by a River only way out is across 1 bridge...Idk i think its cool idea if you like it

a bus to escape in :D ?

Better to start with night of the living dead, have ahouse boarded up for humans to survive in (safety zoone in basement), fo the zombies to get in they ahve to break through the boarded windows

i was thinking maybe a get accross the bridge and BLOW THE HELL OUT OF PEOPLE no?And maybe i can do a mod after when you get past the bridge you can pick up a Awp...but it shoots rockets...idk if thats possible

Quit trying to be selfish since there's a difference between YOUR idea and Jaffa's idea.

Jaffa
5 Aug 2008, 07:39pm
Some new screenshots of the map so far. You spawn in the graveyard, from which you then run towards the house, crossing the river via the two bridges. You then defend the house for a set amount of time before taking cover in the basement. I haven't finished adding everything i want to the map, such as doors, boarding the windows (will be destructable though), adding more vegatation to the forest, etc

imkrazie
5 Aug 2008, 08:19pm
It looks good so far.

some suggestions -

Add rolling landscapes (hills/valleys)
Add a lot more trees / bushes to the forest
I'd like to see the map a little darker (more like your screenshots w/ the black background)

Jaffa
6 Aug 2008, 07:36am
I don't really plan on adding any more hills, as atm i don't want the map any bigger than it already is, but the forest is definatly gonna be fleshed out.

light wise, i'll deal with that at the end, for now i want ot be able to see when i test the map :P

Dark Synth
9 Aug 2008, 08:40pm
Map looks really good so far. I would love to beta test this map for you.