PDA

View Full Version : [Abandoned] ze_StarWars

*Queen VenomousFate*
28 Jul 2008, 11:48pm
ATTENTION: MAP HAS BEEN RESTARTED... BUT I NEED HELP!!!

Current Map Name: ze_StarWars_b2

Current Progress: TOTAL : 50%

Things that need fixing

1. People die when falling out of Chute

2. One of the begining paths is a few seconds shorter

3. Black hole before elevators should be a teleport back up instead of a death pit

4. Beginings Hangar needs a model or something to make it look less bland

5. Elevators need to be fixed so they cant be blocked

6. Need to add stairs so Zombies can go up after Elevator

7. Need to reduce damage needed to break first gate

8. Chute needs to be made so that people dont die when they fall out the bottom

9. Compactor needs to be only usable when Zombies are near

10. Final escape ship needs to have path fixed

11. First holding area needs to be reworked so that people will actually hold it and not rush the elevator

12. Need to add something to slow people down so that the zombie spawns in the first tunnels

13. Final holding area needs work

14. Textures all over need to be fixed

15. MAP NEEDS DETAILS!!!

NEED HELP WITH

Screenshots are old, they give you basic geometry but much has been changed since then.

AppleShark
29 Jul 2008, 12:00am
You're actually attempting the garbage disposal? I don't know how you will pull it off, but good luck with the map. Sounds like it will be pretty good.

*Queen VenomousFate*
29 Jul 2008, 12:39am
You're actually attempting the garbage disposal? I don't know how you will pull it off, but good luck with the map. Sounds like it will be pretty good.

I am just thinking that I will create just 2 plates that will move in towards eachother and crush any zombies.

Anyways, this map isn't gonna be ready for a long, long time, I have all the ideas down on paper and i have final drawing on paper, but I am having trouble getting used to Hammer again.

Jack Napier
29 Jul 2008, 12:50am
But how're ya gonna get the zombies to go down the garbage disposal chutes?

Might be cooler if humans had to go down them instead and the zombies had to find another way around. Like place the chute door on a timer.

*Queen VenomousFate*
29 Jul 2008, 01:45am
But how're ya gonna get the zombies to go down the garbage disposal chutes?

Might be cooler if humans had to go down them instead and the zombies had to find another way around. Like place the chute door on a timer.

Both will have to go down the chute, as the chute will be the only way to continue the map, so if zombies dont follow the humans down it they die.

After the chute empties out into the water/garbage disposal the CTs will climb out first and stand at the door. The water will make you move slower so humans can hold off the zombies there.

As of now to prevent Zombie rape since the CT's can close the garbage disposal, I am planning of a little bit a deviation where the chute empties out into a small room behind the garbage crusher, that way zombies can try to make it back there before they get crushed (Crushing will occour reasonably fast).

Disposal will only be able to use once, so CT's would be wise to use it right before their escape ship arrives so they have an extra bit of time to run to the final escape ship and set up one more barricade for 40 or so seconds before the ship leaves.

However, due to a recent event in my life (Found out 5 minutes ago) as well as a trip to cananda for 10 days starting the 31st, this map will be in development hell till Mid august after my birthday.

Jaffa
29 Jul 2008, 03:21am
Draw a scale map on paper before you start mapping!!!!!

*Queen VenomousFate*
29 Jul 2008, 05:19am
Draw a scale map on paper before you start mapping!!!!!

I already did

Mammal
29 Jul 2008, 05:28am
Assuming you are doing this about on the deathstar, I think you should start on the ship which is also the escape ship, you would have to go and disable whatever ben kenobi does and also press a button in the control room (lockable). Then get back to the ship by an alternate route, that would be cool =)

*Queen VenomousFate*
29 Jul 2008, 07:21am
Assuming you are doing this about on the deathstar, I think you should start on the ship which is also the escape ship, you would have to go and disable whatever ben kenobi does and also press a button in the control room (lockable). Then get back to the ship by an alternate route, that would be cool =)

This is a zombie escape map lol, Zombies would just run back to escape ship and wait lol.

Mammal
29 Jul 2008, 10:09am
Ah but here my plan, the ship gets gassed and the route closes behind!

Or you have to drop down or something that stops you getting back.

Your smart, im sure you could figure it out =p

=)

Trip
29 Jul 2008, 05:13pm
looks very nice indeed.

Jack Napier
29 Jul 2008, 11:55pm
May your endeavors lead to the removal of many shitty maps! <salute>

*Queen VenomousFate*
30 Jul 2008, 01:41am
I expect to have all of the basic geometry done in the next hour or so.

Then all I have to do is put in one of the elevators and then I can put the map up for an alpha test if anyone would like to join me.

*Queen VenomousFate*
30 Jul 2008, 05:29am
I have now finished the basic geometry of this map plus one elevator (It doesnt really work that well, all the triggers are screwed up) so now I am able to run through the whole map.

If anyone is good with elevators I would really like to know what i have to put in to get my elevator to start 30 seconds after a player enters a trigger, then continue going up and down infinatly while stopping 5 seconds at top and bottom.

Looking at a beta available for server test by August 15th. (I'm gone from the 1st to the 10th)

Jaffa
30 Jul 2008, 05:31am
Looking good so far!

Have you checked out the tutorials on fpsbanana about making lifts/elevators and triggers, there might be something there to help

*Queen VenomousFate*
30 Jul 2008, 06:14am
Anyone know why when people get crushed by my crusher they get like 100 console errors?

Sean
30 Jul 2008, 08:56am
NEED HELP WITH

1. I need help with getting the console to say "elevator 1 Leaves in 30/seconds" and etc.
(I have all the triggers set up with a time delay and fire only once, but every time i enter the trigger area the 10 second one goes off instead of the 30 minute one, also, the 10 second one goes off every time someone enters)

If your still stuck on that try this,
make a point_server entity, name it whatever you want, just make sure you can remember it.
create a trigger brush where ever you want, tie it to a trigger_once entity.
In it's outputs add: OnStartTouch or OnUserOne target entity's named: whatever you named your point_server, with a parameter override of "say Elevators are starting in 30 seconds." without the quotes, you can make it trigger as many as you want.
Source: Prefabs/Tutorials on FpsBanana, and me messing around in hammer, if this isn't what you wanted try to explain it clearly to me and I'll try to help you.

*Queen VenomousFate*
30 Jul 2008, 10:06am
If your still stuck on that try this,
make a point_server entity, name it whatever you want, just make sure you can remember it.
create a trigger brush where ever you want, tie it to a trigger_once entity.
In it's outputs add: OnStartTouch or OnUserOne target entity's named: whatever you named your point_server, with a parameter override of "say Elevators are starting in 30 seconds." without the quotes, you can make it trigger as many as you want.
Source: Prefabs/Tutorials on FpsBanana, and me messing around in hammer, if this isn't what you wanted try to explain it clearly to me and I'll try to help you.

Ooo, right now I am using a trigger_multiple, that is probably why.

Sean
30 Jul 2008, 04:19pm
Well if that helped then your welcome, for the 2nd thing you need help with, it would be nice if you could tell us the error, and maybe get a few pictures as well.
Oh and you will probably have to make that ship out of brushes, do you have
a picture your basing it off of?

*Queen VenomousFate*
30 Jul 2008, 10:07pm
Well if that helped then your welcome, for the 2nd thing you need help with, it would be nice if you could tell us the error, and maybe get a few pictures as well.
Oh and you will probably have to make that ship out of brushes, do you have
a picture your basing it off of?

The error is simply because when they get crushed they see a wall with nodraw.

And as for the final escape ship, right now it is just a flying carpet, once I have finished all the gameplay elements I will work on that along with lighting and whatnot.

*Queen VenomousFate*
31 Jul 2008, 05:21am
All basic gameplay features of the map are in place, and the mpa is almost ready for a beta test.

Need Help With:

This is the only thing right now preventing me from beta testing it, My map has some extremely large rooms in it and I can not figure out how to give just that room a certain light level, short of putting a light entity every 4 square units.

Is there a way where i could say, draw a brush or something around the room and put a certain light level inside the room?

*Queen VenomousFate*
9 Aug 2008, 12:04am
Anyone know what to do about my lighting problem???

Map is pretty much ready to go, it is just currently pitch black...

Marquis Posa
9 Aug 2008, 04:54am
All basic gameplay features of the map are in place, and the mpa is almost ready for a beta test.

Need Help With:

This is the only thing right now preventing me from beta testing it, My map has some extremely large rooms in it and I can not figure out how to give just that room a certain light level, short of putting a light entity every 4 square units.

Is there a way where i could say, draw a brush or something around the room and put a certain light level inside the room?
make a normal light and go to properties.
change "constant" to 1, "linear" and "quadratic" to 0 :wink:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Constant-Linear-Quadratic_Falloff

*Queen VenomousFate*
9 Aug 2008, 11:45am
Thank you, now I can finally complete a Beta of this map.

*Queen VenomousFate*
9 Aug 2008, 05:57pm
New problems discovered after Beta test

1. DEFAULT TEXTURES -Know how to fix

2. Framrate Issues -Don't know how to fix

3. Garbage Disposal Issues -Know how to fix

4. Garbage chute problems -Know how to fix

5. Final ship issues -Know how to fix

6. WAY more detail (I had it planned for the future anyways) -know how to fix

Dark Synth
9 Aug 2008, 08:36pm
Sometimes the garbage crusher would get stuck due to human's weapons being in the crusher. Making everyone behind it stuck to wait the inevitable.

Thats my ONLY complaint so far. I know you said this was a beta, so I'll hold the detail/gameplay stuff for later.

vinhex
9 Aug 2008, 11:01pm
Oh Hell Yeah!!!!:001_tt1:

Star Wars zombie escape, it looks really damn good so far, keep it up.

Jaffa
5 Jan 2009, 07:18am
BUMP

I'm guessing you've stopped working on this venomous, how far did you get?

Hellz
22 Feb 2009, 03:36pm
Looks good hope to play on it some day ;)

ReneGade
22 Feb 2009, 11:42pm
This thread thread has nearly been dead 2 monthes Hellz why do u feel the need to bring it back?

MoreThanAPumpkinEater
3 Mar 2009, 04:55am
The final ship should be a small Republic cruiser or a large Millenium Falcon

trakaill
5 Mar 2009, 09:27pm
This thread thread has nearly been dead 2 monthes Hellz why do u feel the need to bring it back?

cause venomous needs to get his shit together and finish this so we can play it by next christmas!!!!!:biggrin:

Ulrich
8 Apr 2009, 06:08pm
I am just thinking that I will create just 2 plates that will move in towards eachother and crush any zombies.

Anyways, this map isn't gonna be ready for a long, long time, I have all the ideas down on paper and i have final drawing on paper, but I am having trouble getting used to Hammer again.

I would suggest an airlock garbage ejector. You could (i dont know how to put this since im not a mapper) create a #point_hurt inside it with a moving door leading to outer space. Onces the button or trigger is activated, it triggers the door moving, then once its open, it activates the point hurt. Then you could use a player push or whatever its called to puch the prop out, as if the vacuum of space is sucking them out.

Once again, im not a mapper, so I don't know...

1) is that is even possible
2) if i worded ANY of the correctly
3) if im just wasting my time looking like an idiot for suggesting this.

Svendy
9 Apr 2009, 04:06am
seems like people really would like to play this map...

venoumse, if you by anychance read this and havent given up the map, i can help you with framrate isusse

*Queen VenomousFate*
5 Jul 2009, 02:24pm
Hai Guise! I have decided that I may just start up this map again.

I am not really sure why I quit, but I am interested in trying it again.

NEVER MIND!!! I found it!

Basically, the map is all done as far as basic pathways are concerned. What I need now, is to go back through the map, add details, and fix certain issues.

I will need help with that. If anyone is interested in helping me with this map please say so!

The Baltimore Ravens
5 Jul 2009, 03:19pm
looks like a good map, can't wait to play it.

(von dutch) delta force 8
5 Jul 2009, 03:23pm
I say: DO IT

*Queen VenomousFate*
5 Jul 2009, 06:58pm
I am doing it, I just really need help :)

Trogdor
5 Jul 2009, 07:57pm
I am doing it, I just really need help :)

I would help. I dont know what kind of help you would need and I'm not amazing with Hammer but I'd attempt it. If it's details you need though I think I could be able to help you, I dont know. If it's too advanced I don't think I would very helpful

Unfortunately I'm out of town. I'll be getting back Thursday. If you still need help by then, I could try.

Olli3
5 Jul 2009, 08:45pm
I can help. I'm pretty fond with most of the tools in Hammer Editor.

*Queen VenomousFate*
5 Jul 2009, 09:00pm
As you can see, I have all of the basic geometry done.

I need...

1. Someone who is really good with fixing framrates to look it over and find out why it is so laggy

2. Someone who is really good with moving objects to make sure that all of my moving things work properly

3. Someone who knows how to make teleportation areas

4. Someone who is really good with textures to make my map look better

5. Someone who is good with models to help my map look more like Star Wars

6. Someone who is really good with little detail things, like small triggers, tiny details etc.

If you feel you can fill any of these positions I would appreciate it.

Also note that as of now my map is a little 1 pathed. I want the begining to stay mostly the same in terms of pathing, but I plan on adding a second path that splits off before the Elevators, and another path that will split off before the Garbage chute.

Before I add these new paths on though, I want to get the map as it is now to be playable and fun. So if you can help with that it would be appreciated.

NLS CEL
5 Jul 2009, 11:09pm
1. Someone who is really good with fixing framrates to look it over and find out why it is so laggy

- i can help with this.

2. Someone who is really good with moving objects to make sure that all of my moving things work properly

- check

- double check

- yup i can help

- errrr...i may be able to help with this (need to talk with people to get models since i dont make them myself)

6. Someone who is really good with little detail things, like small triggers, tiny details etc.

- i'm really good with that.

Svendy
6 Jul 2009, 03:49am
if you read this before the pm, just tell me when i can start.
i do FPS improvements, compile time speed-ups, environmental effects, custom textures, texture alignment and advanced entity work / IO connections

EDIT:
i have 1½ years experience with the hammer editor and i'm a fucking detail whore xD

Jaffa
6 Jul 2009, 04:23am
I'm probably not much better than you venomous at most of that stuff, but i'd be happy to playtest it

*Queen VenomousFate*
6 Jul 2009, 11:29pm
if you read this before the pm, just tell me when i can start.
i do FPS improvements, compile time speed-ups, environmental effects, custom textures, texture alignment and advanced entity work / IO connections

EDIT:
i have 1½ years experience with the hammer editor and i'm a fucking detail whore xD

If you already have the map (You can copy it from the Zombie Escape Server) go ahead and see if you can find a solution to the framerate issues. I wanna know what the problem is before I delve any deeper into the map.

Do not actually add anything to the map yet, I wanna get input from both of you and anyone who wants to looks at it. So basically focus on finding solutions to framerate issues, but also note any other problems you see with the map.

Once we find a solution to framerate issues as well as the red console errors we can procede with actually making the map map-like.

*Queen VenomousFate*
6 Jul 2009, 11:29pm

- i can help with this.

- check

- double check

- yup i can help

- errrr...i may be able to help with this (need to talk with people to get models since i dont make them myself)

- i'm really good with that.

See above...

*Queen VenomousFate*
6 Jul 2009, 11:34pm
One issue I noted, at the bottom of the chute you get red console errors probably because my map has holes in it somewhere in that area.

Also, note, the chute may seem small right now, but remember that after the chute I plan on adding another pathway to the end of that hallway, and also earlier in the map I want to add a pathway that will skip the elevators and link up somewhere with either the end of the chute pathway or the second pathway.

After the chute right now is really just filler... the area that is the hanger now is where I would like to have all the paths converge and then I will extend the area so that there is a decent run to the final escape Hangar. The current hangar will be moved away and replaced with a longer pathway.

NLS CEL
6 Jul 2009, 11:58pm
well here's what i see.

the main pain for the FPS loss in the map is the large number of pieces you already have in your map. 1st ill address the hallway.

(see picture "example")

you have quite a number of these shapes that that act as details of structures for the hallway but one thing you need to fix is that they fit together as one piece and not 2 pieces sticking inside each other. also you could tie these solids as func_detail enties to lessen the FPS they consume due to compile processes.

The 2nd is the hallway with the columns. there are dozens of these columns and they are just eating up all the frame rates. cylinders and sphere (due to their many faces) are the among the most demanding on FPS (aside from displacements). the large number of them is causing alot of the lag i presume. in the screenshot (example2) i made these columns into a func_detail to lessen the strain but i would recommend removing at least half of them (every other one) from each side of the wall they stand against.

and so far that's my take.

*Queen VenomousFate*
8 Jul 2009, 12:11am
Thank you, i will wait for what Svendy says and we will continue

Also if necessary we could scrap the entire map as it is to start over with something so that we can maximize FPS

Crimson
8 Jul 2009, 12:54am
VenomousFate, this map better kick ass.

It's been WIP for atleast 8 months now.

Svendy
8 Jul 2009, 10:30am
i like how from every single point in the map you render all props xD
give me a few hours and i'll have it decompiled and give you a report on the FPS, also if intrested, give me a day or 2 and i'll make you prefab with a space shuttle w/ path_tracks

edit:
i'll have to wait for tomorrow, some things have just come across my plans for the evening...

*Queen VenomousFate*
8 Jul 2009, 12:55pm
i like how from every single point in the map you render all props xD
give me a few hours and i'll have it decompiled and give you a report on the FPS, also if intrested, give me a day or 2 and i'll make you prefab with a space shuttle w/ path_tracks

edit:
i'll have to wait for tomorrow, some things have just come across my plans for the evening...

Dont worry about it. I dont expect this thing to be done for a while.

Jazz
9 Jul 2009, 03:24am
Add the "Tie Fighter" .

*Queen VenomousFate*
9 Jul 2009, 10:01pm
Add the "Tie Fighter" .

I do not want to add any player controlled vehicles. They ruin the map whenever a play gets to them.
Once the map is done I might add a place on the map with a flyable fighter that the only way you can get to it is to noclip there.

That way we wont have people trying to rush for it every round instead of trying to run away from zombies...cough cough spaceship cough

Jazz
10 Jul 2009, 04:06pm
I do not want to add any player controlled vehicles. They ruin the map whenever a play gets to them.
Once the map is done I might add a place on the map with a flyable fighter that the only way you can get to it is to noclip there.

That way we wont have people trying to rush for it every round instead of trying to run away from zombies...cough cough spaceship cough

But if it's "no clip" then only admins can get to it?

*Queen VenomousFate*
13 Jul 2009, 04:52pm
But if it's "no clip" then only admins can get to it?

correct.

I also would like to state that i have no time limits for this map. I am working on this map in my very spare time. I do not want anybody going out of their way to work on this. It is just a fun little community project that we can do over at least a few months.

Prez
2 Nov 2009, 01:30pm
Sorry for the bump, but do you still need help with this?