PDA

View Full Version : New laptop

broncoty
23 Jul 2008, 10:59am
Hey I just wanted to check with the awesome people here whether this is a good buy or not

I wanted toshiba cause I love toshiba's, and This has everythign i want, High ram and good graphics card rest is w/e to me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114497

is this a good buy? and i dont want a pc or i would build one.

Thanks

Modgers1
23 Jul 2008, 11:17am
Might want to search for reviews on it before you jump on it. I haven't been able to find anything about it. Is it pretty new?

-Modgers

AppleShark
23 Jul 2008, 11:31am
The RAM is indeed pretty impressive for a laptop of this price (although I have to admit I do not know much about laptops in general). A 7200rpm HDD would be preferable but not essential. In desktops, Intel CPU's are by far the better buy, and I can't see the situation being much different with laptops. The 14" screen and equivalent resolution would be a bit too small for gaming in my opinion. Try cutting out a piece of paper the same size as your screen will be and make sure you are comfortable with it. Let me make it clear that I'm not trying to find fault with your laptop, merely trying to help :001_smile:

TofuShop
23 Jul 2008, 12:05pm
The RAM is indeed pretty impressive for a laptop of this price (although I have to admit I do not know much about laptops in general). A 7200rpm HDD would be preferable but not essential. In desktops, Intel CPU's are by far the better buy, and I can't see the situation being much different with laptops. The 14" screen and equivalent resolution would be a bit too small for gaming in my opinion. Try cutting out a piece of paper the same size as your screen will be and make sure you are comfortable with it. Let me make it clear that I'm not trying to find fault with your laptop, merely trying to help :001_smile:

My cousin recently recieved a latop for his birthday and it seemed better than this one. 4 gig with 17 inch screen pricing at roughly 600$, so don't know if this one should be taken into real consideration. Just the screen size alone would make me run away in horror so idk. The harddrive space, if not quite enough space for you, can easily be fixed with an external HD or my fav, internal with external enclosure.

I would take another look around and check out alienware, dell, or something for comparison.

broncoty
23 Jul 2008, 03:39pm
Thanks for the help guys I am looking at dell and alienware right now, i did not think to look at alienware.

Tofu, I have found laptops like that, but the graphics cards are like Intel GMA X3100, and stuff like that where I would prefer an ati or nividia just because they are proven to work good with gaming.

My current screen is 11 inches long so 14 would b a bit of an upgrade :P (may explain my aiming).

Thanks for all the good comments guys.

Bronc

broncoty
23 Jul 2008, 03:53pm
When it says

ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics with 256MB-1407MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory.

Does it mean that the graphics card uses the RAM instead of having its own memory?

*Queen VenomousFate*
23 Jul 2008, 04:16pm
14.1 Inch Screen, That Is Tiny, Personally I Would Look For At Least A 17 Inch Screen

And Its From Toshibi, I Would Usually Stick With The Big Dealers If Your Buying Instead Of Building, They Get All Their Stuff Cheaper And Sell It Cheaper.

Daze
24 Jul 2008, 06:31am
When it says

ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics with 256MB-1407MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory.

Does it mean that the graphics card uses the RAM instead of having its own memory?

To answer this, yes its going to nick some of the RAM's memory, so make sure you have enough :D