PDA

View Full Version : How to save money when driving

Lux
15 Jul 2008, 06:07am
With petrol prices going up people are going on about how sports cars, suvs and whatever else are really bad, especially their mpg, but it isn't always about how small the engine is, if you drive your car the right way you could find that a M3 is actually better than a Toyota Prius.

Need proof?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p5mWEIq5ntA

So you don't all have to panic about getting the smallest cars, because a fast car (which you are actually happy to be in) could be the smarter move if you drive it well :wink:

BOOWY
15 Jul 2008, 06:32am
Invalid IMO. It's not a practical test. People who drive the Prius aren't interested in saving gas on the track, or taking the frigging thing to the track in the first place. Where's the city test with stop lights and low speeds? I'm more interested in seeing those numbers.

With such a petrol crisis, you'd think governments around the world would outlaw race track driving of any kind. That's a retarded amount of wasted fuel every year so people can watch morons drive in an oval for 500 laps.

Lux
15 Jul 2008, 06:45am
Ok ok so it is a bit unpractical but I live not too far from the Capital and I do live in a minor but busy town and well, I don't exactly sit in traffic all day. If I get a job in London, I will just take the train in.

So think, unless you really feel like driving into the middle of a city and wasting money + losing your mind then ok, but most of the time when I'm driving it is on big roads, I live not too far from countrside and to get places I have to go on motorways, and I can drive fast there anyway.

Your view on "morons" who want to drive their cars around tracks is flawed. As it is people in America's right to have a gun, people have the right to drive their car fast too. You would be better telling NASA to stop sending rockets into space because space travel seems pointless to me. You could say to people stop driving at all, just take public transport. You could say stop eating fast food, eat a salad.

There is a fine line between someones right and something not worth doing, I don't agree with some things but then we don't all agree.

SpikedRocker
15 Jul 2008, 06:46am
Invalid IMO. It's not a practical test. People who drive the Prius aren't interested in saving gas on the track, or taking the frigging thing to the track in the first place. Where's the city test with stop lights and low speeds? I'm more interested in seeing those numbers.

With such a petrol crisis, you'd think governments around the world would outlaw race track driving of any kind. That's a retarded amount of wasted fuel every year so people can watch morons drive in an oval for 500 laps.

How you drive really does effect gas usage. The more you coast and use built up momentum the less you use gas. There are people out there called "hypermilers", if you search that you'll see their techniques they use to get 100+ mpg. Some of their techniques bend or even break current driving laws but it works. As for racing, they use an entirely different kind of fuel. Their fuel is specifically made for racing, its on the bridge of jet fuel, so if you wanted to make that arguement: ground more airplanes, there are far more airplanes in the sky than there are race cars.

From Luxz0rz, You could say to people stop driving at all, just take public transport.

For some of us that isn't even possible, I live where no bus come through, plus the hours of my job, public transportation isn't available at 4 AM.

Itch
15 Jul 2008, 08:25am
I ride a bicycle to a train. and then bike from the train the rest of the way to work. (not an option for a lot of people) I don't do this to be "Green" I do this because I need to get my fat arse in shape.

Of course I could lie and say it's because I want to be environmentally conscious. And maybe it makes up for the Truck I drive whenever I get a chance. but I doubt it.

GrayFox
15 Jul 2008, 08:26am
http://www.cracked.com/article_16484_6-retarded-gas-saving-schemes-people-are-actually-trying.html

Slavic
15 Jul 2008, 10:07am
With petrol prices going up people are going on about how sports cars, suvs and whatever else are really bad, especially their mpg, but it isn't always about how small the engine is, if you drive your car the right way you could find that a M3 is actually better than a Toyota Prius.

Need proof?

So you don't all have to panic about getting the smallest cars, because a fast car (which you are actually happy to be in) could be the smarter move if you drive it well :wink:

The faster you drive the more wind resistance is placed upon the vehicle which makes the engine have to perform harder. It is stated that the optimal driving speed is 50mph, anything above and you start to dip in your gas efficiency due to wind resistance.

They say the Prius was driving at max speed, so I'm gonna say round 80-90mph. While on the other hand the BMW was right up the Prius's ass the whole time and probably experienced a fraction of the wind resistance the Prius did.

The BMW still may be able to outperform the Prius, but the test they did was skewed.

matt 187
15 Jul 2008, 10:11am
don't hit the breaks.

Crimson
15 Jul 2008, 09:01pm

Need proof?

Thanks, I'm just getting my car in 4 weeks, I'm sorta scared though, Rather I'ma gonna, or, I'm going to be poor. I'd rather die if you ask me! :DDD

Lux
16 Jul 2008, 01:51pm
Think about this. People who can afford a big car have the choice to have it. Bigger cars have bigger room for legs, shopping, and if you have a big family or you pick other kids up occasionally you might need it. Also.....bigger cars are safer, would you feel safer in a Land Rover or a Smart Car? Nuff said.

You have to make the right decisions and think about it hard, by restricting people to non luxuries are you saving people or creating a tyrany??

Lux
16 Jul 2008, 03:00pm
That depends Havok.

Some people, like Spiked Rocker need a car.

It really depends on what you think a luxury is.

Counterstrike is a luxury. Televisions are a luxury. Food which isn't herbs or raw cow is luxury.

In the world of today, a car really isn't a luxury, but a need.

*Queen VenomousFate*
16 Jul 2008, 04:54pm
Hahaha, Hybrids, hahaa....

Slavic
17 Jul 2008, 02:14am
That depends Havok.

Some people, like Spiked Rocker need a car.

It really depends on what you think a luxury is.

Counterstrike is a luxury. Televisions are a luxury. Food which isn't herbs or raw cow is luxury.

In the world of today, a car really isn't a luxury, but a need.

what world you talkin about? you mean first world right?

Lux
17 Jul 2008, 05:42am
what world you talkin about? you mean first world right?

Yeah........I didn't think we were ever talking about third world countries all driving Hummer's :huh: