PDA

View Full Version : Tony Snow passes away

Zargotelc
12 Jul 2008, 06:25am
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/12/obit.snow/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former White House press secretary Tony Snow -- who once told reporters "I'm a very lucky guy" -- has died at the age of 53 after a second battle with cancer.

Snow, who had been undergoing chemotherapy treatments for a recurrence of the disease, left his White House job September 14, 2007, and joined CNN in April as a conservative commentator. In parting comments to reporters at his final White House news conference, he said, "I feel great."

He also called the job "the most fun I've ever had."

Snow said he was leaving the White House position to make more money. His White House salary was $168,000.

"The White House is so deeply saddened by this loss," said his replacement, White House press secretary Dana Perino. "He was a great friend and colleague and a fantastic press secretary. And his dear family is in our thoughts and prayers."

Chief of Staff Josh Bolten had told senior White House staffers that unless they could commit to staying until Bush leaves office in January 2009, they should leave by Labor Day 2007, so Snow resigned.

Snow was first diagnosed with colon cancer in February 2005. His colon was removed, and after six months of treatment, doctors said the cancer was in remission.

A recurrence of the illness was diagnosed 11 months after he began the White House media job, and he underwent five weeks of treatment before resuming his daily briefings to the press corps. He was greeted with applause upon his return.

"Not everybody will survive cancer," Snow told the reporters, "but on the other hand, you have got to realize you've got the gift of life, so make the most of it. That is my view, and I'm going to make the most of my time with you."

Perino announced March 27, 2007, that Snow's cancer had recurred, and said doctors had removed a growth from his abdomen the day before.

President Bush tapped Snow to replace Scott McClellan in April 2006.

Snow had been an anchor for "Fox News Sunday" and a political analyst for Fox News Channel, which he joined in 1996. He also hosted "The Tony Snow Show" on Fox News Radio.

Snow took a significant pay cut to take the job of press secretary and talked publicly about the financial sacrifices he made. He explained he felt he needed to make more money to help his family, which included children readying for college.

Snow was known for his candor.

In a November 11, 2005, column, Snow wrote that Bush's "wavering conservatism has become an active concern among Republicans, who wish he would stop cowering under the bed and start fighting back against the likes of Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Joe Wilson."

"The newly passive George Bush has become something of an embarrassment," Snow's column said.

"I asked him about those comments," joked the president at the time of Snow's appointment. "And he said, 'You should have heard what I said about the other guy.'"

Bush said Snow's long career as a journalist helped him understand "the importance of the relationship between government and those whose job it is to cover the government."

Robert Anthony Snow was born June 1, 1955, in Berea, Kentucky, and was raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. When he was 17, his mother died of colon cancer. She was 38.

After receiving a bachelor's degree in philosophy from Davidson College near Charlotte, North Carolina, in 1977, Snow pursued graduate work in philosophy and economics at the University of Chicago.

He worked as an editorial writer and editor at several newspapers, including The Washington Times and the Detroit News. He wrote a column in Detroit, and later wrote a syndicated column.

Snow joined the administration of Bush's father, George H.W. Bush, in 1991, first as chief speechwriter and later as deputy assistant to the president for media affairs.

Snow became a television personality when he launched his news shows on Fox in 1993.

When he returned to work April 30, 2007, after the second cancer diagnosis, a usually articulate and loquacious Snow stumbled to find words.

"You never anticipate this stuff," he said. "It just happens."

"I want to thank you all. It really meant the world to me. Anybody who does not not believe that thoughts and prayers make a difference, they're just wrong."

He then prefaced a discussion of his health by saying, "I'm a very lucky guy."

Outside of work, Snow played the guitar, saxophone and flute, and was in a band called "Beats Workin'" with other Washington professionals.

Snow is survived by his wife, Jill Walker, and three children.

RIP

GrayFox
12 Jul 2008, 06:32am
Geez people, calm down.

LegalSmash
12 Jul 2008, 08:20am
May he rest in peace.

SpikedRocker
12 Jul 2008, 08:32am
It was always neat to see him give those press conferences with his peers, people he worked with in television and newspapers. He will definatly be missed in our business.

Repeat
12 Jul 2008, 10:26am
Who? Fox news is the biggest joke around, he should be glad hes free from there.

LOL and other news stations are biased AT ALL....

Red
12 Jul 2008, 10:35am
Who? Fox news is the biggest joke around, he should be glad hes free from there.

Are you that fucktarded? That fact that you say "WHO?" and then post that drivel says a lot.

He was a conservative, as such he chose to go there and was getting paid a lot for it.

What a dumbshit thing to post.

RIP snow

*Queen VenomousFate*
12 Jul 2008, 03:03pm

I Am Just Gonna Guess That You Watch MSNBC, Which Of Course Does Not Have Any Bias At All With The Likes Of Kieth Olberman And Such.

And Anyways Fox News Has Grown In Popularity For The Last 5 Years For Every Year While All Other News Stations Have Fallen In The Ratings.

We Will Miss You Tony Snow, Best Of Wishes To His Family And Friends.

LitKey
12 Jul 2008, 05:08pm

You're an asshole, fuck you. Take your bullshit out of here, the man just died of cancer.

RIP Tony Snow.

Lux
12 Jul 2008, 05:31pm
"Snow said he was leaving the White House position to make more money. His White House salary was $168,000."

Whoa I wish I could do something like that :drool:

Anyway er...I don't watch FOX news and I've never heard of him but RIP

Spartan
12 Jul 2008, 05:39pm
never heard of him but anyone who is well known to others and dies is always sad, RIP.

barackobama
12 Jul 2008, 05:41pm
I don't mean to be rude, but why would we want to know about this person passing away?

He just had a normal job like anyone....

He's just a normal person....

Maybe we should have a section dedicated to people who die!

Haha,

but on the subject, I hope he had a good life.

GrayFox
12 Jul 2008, 05:46pm
I don't mean to be rude, but why would we want to know about this person passing away?

He just had a normal job like anyone....

He's just a normal person....

Maybe we should have a section dedicated to people who die!

Haha,

but on the subject, I hope he had a good life.

Thank you, thank you. Dear God, someone in this thread knows something. This is just a typical guy. He didn't do anything wonderful like pulling a rabbit out of his ass. Just a normal guy. If your going to cry for him, cry for every single person who dies. Cry for all the children that fight in useless wars, cry for the kids that kill themselves over nothing, or cry for the people who have no homes and die with no one to know them. Don't immortalize someone because they were famous. This is the same thing as those idiots who said Sean Taylor was a god because he played football and died.:thumbdown: I'm not saying that everyone should laugh and applaud his death, but theres no reason to flip out because someone died. No one on this site has never even meet him.

Italian Jew
12 Jul 2008, 05:49pm
Yes, we all know how retarded Fox can get at times (even other news stations, but Fox takes the cake most of the time). I never really cared for the guy, nor did I dislike him. He was just another brick in the wall, but for some, he was a red brick, a really red brick with polka dots on it or colorful elephants on it.

Spartan
12 Jul 2008, 07:13pm
its showing some respect for anyone that might of liked him

Kennith
12 Jul 2008, 07:24pm
Thank you, thank you. Dear God, someone in this thread knows something. This is just a typical guy. He didn't do anything wonderful like pulling a rabbit out of his ass. Just a normal guy. If your going to cry for him, cry for every single person who dies. Cry for all the children that fight in useless wars, cry for the kids that kill themselves over nothing, or cry for the people who have no homes and die with no one to know them. Don't immortalize someone because they were famous. This is the same thing as those idiots who said Sean Taylor was a god because he played football and died.:thumbdown: I'm not saying that everyone should laugh and applaud his death, but theres no reason to flip out because someone died. No one on this site has never even meet him.

Death isn't a thing to just be unsympathetic about, period. I'm sure I'd be mournful for anyone who dies, if I knew him/her. Yes, people die everyday, but I'm not there, however if the circumstances change such as if a friend told me his cousin died and I didn't know his cousin, I'd still be mournful. Even in my line of work, I would kill my enemy without hesitation, but I'd still be mournful for him and his family.
It's not the fact that he's famous, it's the fact that someone who led a great life, died. Life isn't a typical thing, and death isn't something you should be insensitive about. However, this is just my opinion. Just because it happens to everyone, doesn't mean you should just come in and post something rude to a topic that was made in commemoration for Tony Snow.

In short, show some fucking respect, to not just some "typical guy" but to others like his family and friends who are devastated by his recent death.

Veggie
12 Jul 2008, 08:17pm
I'll miss him.

Italian Jew
12 Jul 2008, 08:26pm
Even if one doesn't show respect here, do the friends and family visit this forum to know about it? I am sure he is not totally without emotion, just pointing out his opinions on how typing RIP on a forum doesn't change or really mean anything (at least to him or the family anyways).

This isn't just a threat for sympathizers of Snow man. Anyone with ANY say on the matter is allowed to post their opinions. Just don't get too pissy when one or two people say that he doesn't deserve as much praise as he is getting. They have their own beliefs as do others who want to type RIP all over this thread, neither of which should be called into question.

The same principle applies to people posting about how bad Snow man was. Saying that he was a normal of bad guy is fine, just don't go into how people "flipping out" over him is a ridiculous thing. People just gotta do their own thing. Besides, its the internet. Chill the fuck out everyone...

Zargotelc
12 Jul 2008, 09:09pm
Death isn't a thing to just be unsympathetic about, period. I'm sure I'd be mournful for anyone who dies, if I knew him/her. Yes, people die everyday, but I'm not there, however if the circumstances change such as if a friend told me his cousin died and I didn't know his cousin, I'd still be mournful. Even in my line of work, I would kill my enemy without hesitation, but I'd still be mournful for him and his family.
It's not the fact that he's famous, it's the fact that someone who led a great life, died. Life isn't a typical thing, and death isn't something you should be insensitive about. However, this is just my opinion. Just because it happens to everyone, doesn't mean you should just come in and post something rude to a topic that was made in commemoration for Tony Snow.

In short, show some fucking respect, to not just some "typical guy" but to others like his family and friends who are devastated by his recent death.

Exactly. I have a sensitive view towards death and whenever someone who is well known in the news or the opposite passes away , regardless of political affiliation , I show respect towards the deceased. It's rude not to. For example , Jesse Helms passed away the other day. On other forums he was trashed as a racist , and people were actually gleeful that this man had died. I just said RIP. Wouldn't be right to be insulting those who have recently left us.

broncoty
12 Jul 2008, 10:11pm
It is important to understand the measure of any person is how much good that person does on this earth, there is no other calculation. I met Tony Snow when he was 39 years old, I am sorry I missed the earlier part of his life. The guy was such a good companion. Great sense of humor, great insights. The big thing for me was his courage, never once did he complain about the cancer and I talked to him about it all the time. He never gave in to that disease. Tony fought the good fight and there is nothing else that matters.-Bill Orielly

SO seriously italian and gray you can stfu, this guy did more good and accomplished more in his life than you imbeciles can ever hope to

Italian Jew
12 Jul 2008, 10:35pm
It is important to understand the measure of any person is how much good that person does on this earth, there is no other calculation. I met Tony Snow when he was 39 years old, I am sorry I missed the earlier part of his life. The guy was such a good companion. Great sense of humor, great insights. The big thing for me was his courage, never once did he complain about the cancer and I talked to him about it all the time. He never gave in to that disease. Tony fought the good fight and there is nothing else that matters.-Bill Orielly

SO seriously italian and gray you can stfu, this guy did more good and accomplished more in his life than you imbeciles can ever hope to

So according to that O'Reilly (O RLY?) quote, all I have to do is be a good companion, have good humor, have some insights, and not complain about cancer? So far I have done that in one form or another in my 19+ years of existence. I have at least 50 to 60 more years considering that I do not experience any deadly diseases or misfortunes that come along with life.

I don't believe I ever insulted the man or said anything that put him down, so why all the hostility? Do I have to praise him as you do? Never thought NOT giving an opinion one way or another towards a man was the same as degredating him and pissing on his life. I am so sorry you feel that way...:001_rolleyes:

However, if it makes you feel better...

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9075/imsorryforyourlossvv2.jpg

LegalSmash
12 Jul 2008, 10:59pm
You're an asshole, fuck you. Take your bullshit out of here, the man just died of cancer.

RIP Tony Snow.

QTMFT I was half asleep and didnt notice the post at first.

As for Gray and Jew, and the other guy who question why start a thread, well, why not? The guy was a hell of a press secretary, had sarcasm, and better stage presence and speaking ability than the man he was representing. He was a widely visible figure, a well known figure (and if you have not heard of him, your head has been REALLY far in your ass the past 8 years), and the man left a mark on the people he knew and reached. That is enough for a thread, a headstone, and hell, a memory.

The guy did a hell of a lot more than Cindy Sheehan did. As for the "poor children fighting" I feel worse for Snow's passing, he contributed to our GDP rather than just mooching of international aid. There are enough annoying children in the world anyway.

Italian Jew
12 Jul 2008, 11:21pm
Like I said, I see no problem in giving the guy props, but I just think the people getting all pissy because some people didn't give him the RIP thumbs up are making a big deal out of nothing.

As for why I don't really care one way or the other, he seems just about par, or maybe a little above par from what I have seen other people do. I'm not trashing the guy by not saying, " I love this man!". He just wasn't as "special" to me as he was to some of you. If he was so great, then people should have been talking about him and making threads about his life BEFORE he died. Waiting till afterwards is just jumping on the bandwagon of the times.

LitKey
12 Jul 2008, 11:51pm
Did anybody make a thread here about George Carlin before he died? Tim Russert? Charlton Heston? No, they did not. But I recall that you posted in at least one of those death threads expressing sympathy for the person, so shut the fuck up and stop being a hypocrite. That's fucktarded if you think because we didn't discuss him on this forum before he died, we're "jumping on the bandwagon" by posting the news of his death and expressing sympathy for a man many of us had deep admiration for. If you and GrayFox don't give shit about him simply because he was a conservative, then don't make a post essentially saying that you don't give a shit. It's that simple - if you don't care, don't post.

Italian Jew
13 Jul 2008, 12:20am
I don't really care for him because he isn't that special of a person (at least that's what I think). I posted in the Carlin one because it would suck without his jokes and insight into things. I did not feel the same for Snow. I fail to see how I am a hypocrite seeing as I said that no opinion should be silenced here (meaning that both saying I liked the guy is allowed).

All I was stating with the bandwagon idea was that if he was admired so much and was so great, then there would be more talk about that admiration when he was alive. Its like the dead artist or composer deal. There stuff sells a lot more AFTER they die. I made the statement as a general idea and did not intend it to be used as an insult (believe me, if I was insulting you I know of one word that yanks your chain even more :001_tt2:). Now to me (I know this is a tough concept, but people do have a right to their opinion), he is not that great because he was not heavily admired during his life (or as much as he gets now).

Did I come in here to denounce all you fans of Snow as morons or idiots? No I did not. I just stated that I had no feelings one way or another for the man while acknowledging that he was a decent guy. Now if you take too much offense to this, I am sorry not to join you in what you may envision to be a circle jerk over this guy. You're starting a fucking argument over nothing (c'mon, grow the fuck up).

Jumping to fucking conclusions like its the goddamn Spanish Inquisition...

Lux
13 Jul 2008, 04:14am
Ok...........

You don't have to like someone to show respect. Maybe if you don't actually like the guy because he has actually done something wrong (not just about he has a moustache or he likes your rival team or something) then ok but this guy has obviously had a good life and been a great guy, no need to go and say disrespectful things.

That said however, this man obviously isn't a world hero, or even a national hero or anything like that really. We can't mourn every man but when pioneers like that clown guy die or some great man everyone loved make a thread in his name. But maybe I am wrong because I don't know him, maybe he had a great character and people loved him for it, in which case this isn't such a bad thread.

Spartan
13 Jul 2008, 07:57am
Well this thread was made to show he had died and if u dont care about him dont post. Saying that i have no clue he existed till now but that doesnt mean i should be rude about it

GrayFox
13 Jul 2008, 09:32am
Its ok Italian. I realized the second half of my first post was wrong, so my apologies.

*Queen VenomousFate*
13 Jul 2008, 04:17pm
A Funeral Is Not The Mourning Of A Loss But The Celebration Of A Life.

Kennith
13 Jul 2008, 05:06pm
I don't really care for him because he isn't that special of a person (at least that's what I think). I posted in the Carlin one because it would suck without his jokes and insight into things. I did not feel the same for Snow. I fail to see how I am a hypocrite seeing as I said that no opinion should be silenced here (meaning that both saying I liked the guy is allowed).

All I was stating with the bandwagon idea was that if he was admired so much and was so great, then there would be more talk about that admiration when he was alive. Its like the dead artist or composer deal. There stuff sells a lot more AFTER they die. I made the statement as a general idea and did not intend it to be used as an insult (believe me, if I was insulting you I know of one word that yanks your chain even more :001_tt2:). Now to me (I know this is a tough concept, but people do have a right to their opinion), he is not that great because he was not heavily admired during his life (or as much as he gets now).

Did I come in here to denounce all you fans of Snow as morons or idiots? No I did not. I just stated that I had no feelings one way or another for the man while acknowledging that he was a decent guy. Now if you take too much offense to this, I am sorry not to join you in what you may envision to be a circle jerk over this guy. You're starting a fucking argument over nothing (c'mon, grow the fuck up).

Jumping to fucking conclusions like its the goddamn Spanish Inquisition...

Last warning, stay out of the topic, instead of trolling on it.

Italian Jew
13 Jul 2008, 06:02pm
I will cease my "trolling"... :001_rolleyes: of course it was litkey who prompted my rebuttal

Snow man was a good guy. He will be missed by Republicans and Democrats alike. (I believe this goes along with what you want to hear as per the topic of discussion even though the title just mentions how he passed away, so any posts pertaining to him or feelings to him would be relevant).

:thumbup: