PDA

View Full Version : Fake demos, fake screenshots

cecil
10 Jul 2008, 12:55am
I saw how you will ban people from watching a demo or seeing a screenshot when someone posts a complaint... I don't know if you've thought about this, but they are easy to make if you have 2 people wanting to ban someone. All you have to do is steal someone's in-game name and do some bannable offenses, then post the demo on the forums with the real person's steam-id. I'm just wondering why you consider demos or screenshots "proof" I just think you ought to leave the banning to the actual admins while they witness it in the game.

Tcp-Kill
10 Jul 2008, 01:02am
First, You have one post, and i guess you were banned and pretending it wasn't you.

Two, It would spend too much time on this, we don't expect members of our community to use such "lameness" Just shows there immature.

Three, we are a large community, we have about 80 admins. around 10-20 UK and 30-40 are US and the others are rest of the world. sometimes, an admin isn't always on servers. We can make admins visit our server we can only request.

Four, This has come across and we have had a discussion about this, we have come to an agreement that anyone immature to use this, if they get caught they will be expelled immediately.

cecil
10 Jul 2008, 01:12am
well, I haven't been banned, I'm a regular in the servers but not these forums... i don't really like forums, i just wanted to see what your position on this was.

It would only take maybe 10 minutes for a couple assholes to get together and fake a demo and post it.

With such a large community, you cant pick 2 people that you think are lame enough to do this?

How exactly would you catch someone posting a fake demo? The victim might come to the forums and say they didn't do it, then you guys would say "but we have this demo", they'd say "that wasn't me, it was a fake" then you would probably laugh.

Tcp-Kill
10 Jul 2008, 01:15am
Well they would eventully slip up, i mean if we see a player complaint with someone with 1 or 2 posts, that looks odd. On the other hand we have members "IE Clod14" who we can trust and has given us many demos.

cecil
10 Jul 2008, 01:29am
It might be alright if you only accepted demos from trusted members of the community, but I see a lot of people getting banned by "ZM noobs" with only a few posts like me. I think its just a little hard to decide who to trust when everyone is anonymous.

Z3r0 M4ni4c
10 Jul 2008, 04:39am
its easy to make demo's not fake.

Just when you run a demo type status in console then also the steamids will be recorded. And when you then take a screenshot you can see it.

And the guy that then is breaking rules with trying to use a different name is getting banned.

Because the steamid wouldnt match :wink:

when you then run the demo you can also use console and see the status.

Jaffa
10 Jul 2008, 04:47am
We ban by steam id, so if someone tries what you suggest, his id will keep popping up and he will get banned

Lux
10 Jul 2008, 06:07am
I've thought about this too.

To get a successful ban all you need to do is take a screenshot of someone being racist in-game, and then if you have another screenshot of the guy you want banned's ip then you have a ban. This could work because they would be using two different screenshots, you would have to seriously look through the logs to find anything.

Clod14
10 Jul 2008, 07:54am
Well they would eventully slip up, i mean if we see a player complaint with someone with 1 or 2 posts, that looks odd. On the other hand we have members "IE Clod14" who we can trust and has given us many demos.

LoL thx for the comment ;]

Z3r0 M4ni4c
10 Jul 2008, 07:55am
thats why demo's work for the best.

Record and type status in console and nobody can fake those Steamid's

Tcp-Kill
10 Jul 2008, 09:26am
thats why demo's work for the best.

Record and type status in console and nobody can fake those Steamid's

Demos can't see console unless Frapped

BOOWY
10 Jul 2008, 09:50am
Actually running a demo will give you all the console information that happened in the recording. I don't know if it will record manual commands typed in or if manual commands work while a demo is running though. You get all the generic stuff like who killed who and who said what in the console when running a demo, I know that for sure. I'll have to try 'status' with demos sometime.

Z3r0 M4ni4c
10 Jul 2008, 09:57am
Demos can't see console unless Frapped

wrong tcp.

When your making a demo and u use console and type status in there you can see it when you playback the recorded demo.

Maby you should try it out. You can use console in the demo to view what de recorder did in console.

I know you cant use commands in it. But you can see what the user did and if he used status.

I know this because i recorded many cheaters for Steambans.com.

Maby try it out to see it for your self.

-=edited=-
To make it more sense.

If you DONT use console while recording the console wont work if you play it back.
If you USE console while recording and type status and all kind of shit. You can use console when playing the demo.

Tcp-Kill
10 Jul 2008, 10:12am
i see, thanks i didn't know that

GrayFox
10 Jul 2008, 10:14am
Who would really care that much that they would get photoshop, take their precious time to change some names around, just to get someone banned for maybe 6 hours? Even I don't have that much time on my hands, and all I do is watch this video www.smouch.net/lol/

Tcp-Kill
10 Jul 2008, 10:30am
quote from blank

"Read the fucking rules guys http://www.zombiemurder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610 (www.smouch.net/lol/)

GrayFox
10 Jul 2008, 10:47am
Hijacking my link i see. Atleast mine lets you get out of it.

Clod14
10 Jul 2008, 01:08pm
Who would really care that much that they would get photoshop, take their precious time to change some names around, just to get someone banned for maybe 6 hours? Even I don't have that much time on my hands, and all I do is watch this video www.smouch.net/lol/ (http://www.smouch.net/lol/)

O god, i hate u so much right now LOL! xD hahahaha
nice. Im keeping this on my bookmark. ;D
"I myself" like the song :}

trakaill
13 Jul 2008, 02:21pm
eerrrmm we are talking about faking a demo here. So if someone wants to make a fake demo he probably will not type status in console so we can see his steam ID and ban him... he would prolly go in a game with the guy and take a ss shot of the steam id he wants banned..:glare: so yeah I see your point zero but If I want to fuck someone Ill make sure my steam ID doesnt appear but only the guy I want to get banned