PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices Fly Up Again

SpikedRocker
30 Jun 2008, 05:21am
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/30/t1home.gas.prices.mon.02.ap.jpg

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/30/news/economy/gas/index.htm?cnn=yes

First off I've never seen 100 octane. Where in the country do they sell that crap? Second, the price difference in cash and credit. I know the reasoning behind it being credit card companies charge fees of 2-3% and the ratio used in that sign is less than 3%. If they start doing that here I'll just make sure I have cash when I go to the pump. I hate carrying cash, I don't carry it so I won't spend it. Even though in this economic time I am spending as little as possible. Prices here in SW Virginia are on the lower end of prices around the country at about $3.83....What are prices where you are?

LegalSmash
30 Jun 2008, 05:40am
DC is mid four from what I understand, I metro it rather than drive.

Edit: I really do not think that things will change much as to price. The world dynamics in oil usage are changing, and well, as demand rises and supply gets smaller, we all know what happens.

GrayFox
30 Jun 2008, 08:12am
its in ~4.00 in MA, but I hoping that will atleast stay.

PotshotPolka
30 Jun 2008, 08:26am
Gas here is 4.00-4.10 for unleaded.

Damn... mebbe you all should *invest* in hydrogen generators? eh?

(Goes back to devising his hydrogen bomb)

GrayFox
30 Jun 2008, 08:28am
Or just ride the bears ^^^^^^^^

Itch
30 Jun 2008, 09:01am
Averaging about $4.00 here in Utah..

But I ride my bike to the train!

Red
30 Jun 2008, 09:09am
Awesome, now Hummers will be a lot cheaper. I'm off to buy an H1.

Blank
30 Jun 2008, 09:40am
100 octane, or sometimes 110 octane, is availabe in just about all areas. Usually, just one or two gas stations within a 30 mile radius. Commonly known a Turbo Blue, it is used in some race cars and motorcycles.

AppleShark
30 Jun 2008, 11:20am
Americans have nothing to complain about! European prices are at about €1.25 per litre.

SpikedRocker
30 Jun 2008, 11:44am
100 octane, or sometimes 110 octane, is availabe in just about all areas. Usually, just one or two gas stations within a 30 mile radius. Commonly known a Turbo Blue, it is used in some race cars and motorcycles.

As much driving I do from here to Cincinnati, figure I'd see one station...but nope...

Americans have nothing to complain about! European prices are at about €1.25 per litre.

In conparision....1 gallon is approx 3.75 litre's and with present conversion rates a liter goes for 1.97 dollars...
Simply over in europe it would cost us 7.38 a gallon to what we are used to. Apple is right when it comes down to it they are paying a whole heep alot more than us. But, most europeans do not even drive as much as I do to go to work and mass transit is much more popular over there than it is here and for some of us (like me) it is not even an option.

PotshotPolka
30 Jun 2008, 11:53am
As much driving I do from here to Cincinnati, figure I'd see one station...but nope...

In conparision....1 gallon is approx 3.75 litre's and with present conversion rates a liter goes for 1.97 dollars...
Simply over in europe it would cost us 7.38 a gallon to what we are used to. Apple is right when it comes down to it they are paying a whole heep alot more than us. But, most europeans do not even drive as much as I do to go to work and mass transit is much more popular over there than it is here and for some of us (like me) it is not even an option.

...and then combine the taxes on other shit that most European countries don't pay for, and don't say they pay more, it equals out all in all between paying for state health-care/college and free market prices.

Red
30 Jun 2008, 11:53am
You can't compare euro prices with ours.

We depend on cars far more than europeans.

It's not so easy to set up public transport for a country as big as ours.

Ambulancia
30 Jun 2008, 11:57am

if gas prices get that high here in the US, i will be forced to PERSONALLY invent a new propulsion fuel. 1.25e is INSANE!!

Lux
30 Jun 2008, 12:13pm
Er to be honest it is even higher in the UK. Where I am I found that the lowest price was £1.14 pre litre, and a euro is 79% as much as a pound.

Other things you have to consider in a city such as London is congestion. When you want to get around you could be averaging a very low amount and when you aren't moving you are still burning fuel.

Also er...Potshotpolka. In the UK private health care is far less used, and so taxes for state health are a lot higher, and other things too like alot of the free schools,colleges, and uni students get help too.

So in all I dunno...I think I can safely say that it is much more expensive here. I think I saw in an article that London is THE most expensive place to live in the world.

PotshotPolka
30 Jun 2008, 12:38pm
Er to be honest it is even higher in the UK. Where I am I found that the lowest price was £1.14 pre litre, and a euro is 79% as much as a pound.

Other things you have to consider in a city such as London is congestion. When you want to get around you could be averaging a very low amount and when you aren't moving you are still burning fuel.

Also er...Potshotpolka. In the UK private health care is far less used, and so taxes for state health are a lot higher, and other things too like alot of the free schools,colleges, and uni students get help too.

So in all I dunno...I think I can safely say that it is much more expensive here. I think I saw in an article that London is THE most expensive place to live in the world.

Yes, Lux, that is actually what I said, thanks for trolling right past it. We are indeed not taxed for as many social programs as most European citizens are, but we obviously pay for the same things, such as health, auto, dental insurance etc.

Why has gas been historically more expensive for Europeans than Americans? Because we use shitloads of it, you don't. OPEC would be hemmoraging profits if they doubled prices in America, because demand (like many Wall Street employees) would jump out a 37 story window.

And don't call me ignorant for not listing every damn reason for current fluctuations in gas prices such as supply and demand/ taxation and socioeconomic functions. I leave that to Red and Legal, who have more extensive education, and obviously much more time on their hands.

Lux
30 Jun 2008, 04:11pm
I didn't troll past it but from the post it seemed to me that you were saying America pays more taxes and thus it balances out, which is highly unlikely to my eyes, I think we pay more as we aren't as capitalist as you.

PotshotPolka
30 Jun 2008, 05:18pm
I didn't troll past it but from the post it seemed to me that you were saying America pays more taxes and thus it balances out, which is highly unlikely to my eyes, I think we pay more as we aren't as capitalist as you.

Fuck it, I tried.

Lux
30 Jun 2008, 06:25pm
I guess you failed.

Slavic
30 Jun 2008, 09:54pm
...and then combine the taxes on other shit that most European countries don't pay for, and don't say they pay more, it equals out all in all between paying for state health-care/college and free market prices.

you clearly stated that Europeans pay less taxes so don't get angry at Lux. But that doesn't matter, Europeans may pay a lot of taxes but most people don't realize our gas is much cheaper than theirs because our prices are subsidized seeing how our navy protects the trade lines. All in all, I think that we pay more regarding the grand scheme of things since we have to finance the navy with tax dollars.

also fueling up hundreds of Jets, Helicopters, Tanks, and Humvees having fun in the desert isn't free.

broncoty
30 Jun 2008, 09:58pm
also fueling up hundreds of Jets, Helicopters, Tanks, and Humvees having fun in the desert isn't free.

lol u mean a "training exercise"?