PDA

View Full Version : Killer Network Card

SpikedRocker
27 Jun 2008, 06:53am
http://www.killernic.com/products/default.aspx

I stumbled upon this website, wonder if this actually would make a difference for anyone that plugs it in. Anyone hear about this or uses it?

ReaŠper
27 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
I've seen numerous adverts for the thing, and unless I win the lottery my mainboard connectors are working well enough lol

Dark Torcher
29 Jun 2008, 08:11pm
i dont own it, but i hear the drivers for it really suck, and if you try to revert back to your motherboard ethernet, you'll have to reinstall your os to clear all the killer nic drivers
i just use an okay comcast connection, keeps me around 30-50 ping, all i need...
anyways, its much better just to buy a faster connection to get lower pings, since you will get more speed, rather than prioritizing speeds which can sometimes screw other things up
e.g. punkbuster's transmissions are delayed by the killer nic, since it is not being used for gaming ping, causing you to be kicked since it appears you are trying to block punkbuster

just what i think

^oh yeah, dont mean to advertise, but a good program u can use to prioritize speeds for programs is cfos speed, i use it, it keeps me slightly faster since i keep everything on normal but set hl2.exe to higher priority, and also set HTTP_C to higher, since thats the protocol for internet explorer/firefox/etc.
plus it gives u an active read on download/upload speeds and all current connections on your network

SpikedRocker
30 Jun 2008, 03:03am
Thanks Dark Torcher. Yeah I wasn't to concerned about getting this, mainly I only live a few 100 miles from our servers so my ping is pretty good. I'll have to check on that prioritizer and see if my gameplay improves any.

Dark Torcher
30 Jun 2008, 03:45am
don t expect much unless u run a lot of programs that use the internet, easiest way to get more bandwidth focused on ur game is to stop all other programs that use ur connection, and if u have a wireless router, of course protect it from neighbors who may be bandwidth hogs, actually downloaded 800gb once by that

SpikedRocker
30 Jun 2008, 04:10am
Thanks again for the heads up. Yeah I don't run too much when I play the game outside vent and maybe the webpage. So i guess what I have now is what I'm gonna have :-P