PDA

View Full Version : Raising the Ping cap

Do A Barrel Roll!
24 Jun 2008, 10:57am
As of recently, I've been online trying to play on any of the STEAM games using my cellphone as my modem (just to clarify how exactly this is possible, my provider is Alltel, and they have a special plan to do this). However, doing so doesn't give em the best of connection speeds for regular browsing, needless to say it isn't the best for gaming... but it IS tolerable.

From what I know, the majority of the ZM and SG servers have a ping set to 225, which is just below what I normally connect at (around 230-240 on a decent server). Is there a definitive reason why it's set to that particular limit? If there isn't, could it be raised to 250? I really miss you guys... :crying:

zero
24 Jun 2008, 11:05am
From my understanding, the problem is that it actually gives the zombies an advantage if they are the ones with the high ping. The side affect of a high ping is that it causes them to bounce around, making them hard to shoot as a human. The higher the ping, the more the player will skip around.

You can probably have an advantage as a human with a high ping, but its not as pronounced as being a zombie.

Lux
24 Jun 2008, 11:25am
I think the ping limit is at a good level, on many servers it is lower than 225.

I am from England and I have no trouble connecting to any of SG's US servers, excluding when I first start up css I sometimes have high ping for a short time.

I don't have mega fast internet it is about average really.

Also pings of about 250 are quite laggy..

Red
24 Jun 2008, 12:00pm
why the shit are you using your cell phone

GrayFox
24 Jun 2008, 12:38pm
The higher ping allowed in, the more people with laggy connections will come in.

Aaron117
17 Jul 2008, 10:43am
If your computer is connected to a Router, try unplugging your Ethernet cable, and plugging it directly in the Modem, if you have people in your house, this'll disconnect them since any Router doesn't support 2 plugs.

Hope this helps! This helped my ping to get reduced to the low 50's, to the high 20s.

-Aaron-

Jaffa
17 Jul 2008, 03:56pm
buy a normal modem?

whatzup2
25 Aug 2008, 04:48pm
Just play normally using a PC. 225 as the ping cap is good. Decent ping is around the 50s and 100s. It's fortunate enough to have a 225 ping cap limit.