PDA

View Full Version : What's the big deal?

Atarian
11 Jun 2007, 08:35am
Why do we have to call it anime? Aren't they just cartoons? Could they be called cartoons?

I remember there were some hardcore anime fans in my high school (overweight, smelled bad, wore silk shirts with dragons on them) that would talk about it all day, and mock people for watching it if it was dubbed in english. Is it really that big of a deal?

I don't watch it personally, kinda bugs me. Cowboy Bebop was good though.

Henda
11 Jun 2007, 08:53am
Mocking people because they watch dubbed anime is stupid, personally I hate dubbed anime, they ruin the anime with the incredibly bad voice overs and all the cuts and edits they make to it.

Kennith
11 Jun 2007, 08:55am
Why do we have to call it anime? Aren't they just cartoons? Could they be called cartoons?

I remember there were some hardcore anime fans in my high school (overweight, smelled bad, wore silk shirts with dragons on them) that would talk about it all day, and mock people for watching it if it was dubbed in english. Is it really that big of a deal?

I don't mind it being called a cartoon, and I don't mock people for watching it in english, but some series are better subbed because the translation/voice acting is horrible. Those people you are talking about are probably just hardcore fanboys/otakus.

Pancake Batter
11 Jun 2007, 05:54pm
Most anime out today are from manga anyways. Therefore Manga is far superior than anime, making this whole dub/sub thing moot (though I prefer watching dub because I'm too lazy to read subtitles).

EDIT : Oh and I only view the whole dub/sub thing like I view the whole PS3/Wii/Xbox360 thing, just a bunch of faggots arguing over nothing. I only hate anime fans that use japanese (like kawaii or whatever) mixed in with english, those people need to die. That and furries, fucking furries need to die in a fire.

Red
11 Jun 2007, 07:26pm
I like the term 'japanimation'

jeN
11 Jun 2007, 08:36pm
Most anime out today are from manga anyways. Therefore Manga is far superior than anime, making this whole dub/sub thing moot (though I prefer watching dub because I'm too lazy to read subtitles).

EDIT : Oh and I only view the whole dub/sub thing like I view the whole PS3/Wii/Xbox360 thing, just a bunch of faggots arguing over nothing. I only hate anime fans that use japanese (like kawaii or whatever) mixed in with english, those people need to die. That and furries, fucking furries need to die in a fire.

desu ^_^

Red
12 Jun 2007, 12:43am
desu just means "is"

jeN
12 Jun 2007, 12:55am
FINE RED, get all technical with me. KAWAII then. ^_^

I don't really watch anime, I mean I have.. but yeah. I don't want to waste my time downloading it. :[

Graves
12 Jun 2007, 03:50am
I'm not a big anime fan, but when I hear something is really good, I'll usually find some time to sit down and watch it.

Manga
Legal Drug
Berserker
One Peice

Anime
One Peice
Full Metal Alchemist
Last Exile (my first anime ever)
Cowboy Bebop

ngdipsetbitch21
12 Jun 2007, 08:36am
i wear polo shirts and jeans and nautica shirts and i luv anime...

LitKey
12 Jun 2007, 06:56pm
It's fine if you watch anime. The only problem starts when you get so obsessed with anime and everything Japan that you become Wapanese (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wapanese) and go around saying you wish you were Japanese, like my cousin (weird i no rite).

Pancake Batter
12 Jun 2007, 08:36pm
It's fine if you watch anime. The only problem starts when you get so obsessed with anime and everything Japan that you become Wapanese (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wapanese) and go around saying you wish you were Japanese, like my cousin (weird i no rite).

That and furries, they deserve no rights.

LitKey
12 Jun 2007, 11:47pm
*shivers* Yeah.

mNote
13 Jun 2007, 12:14am

[Off-Topic] So if you were Caucasian and you listened to rap music and dress like rappers, you're Whack?

:focus:

Anime is short for "animation" and that it originates from Japan. When Japan was starting out in the film industry, they lacked actors that originates from countries such as America and Europe, therefore making it impossible to create films in those areas.

That's when Japan started doing "animations" to create a different way of storytelling.

At first, "animations" were hand-drawn and pieced together to make it seem like they're moving. Surprisingly, "animations" became one of the biggest things to happen in Japan and this inspired many authors to start writing stories of their own.

In time, people referred to this as "anime" to distinguish the certain style of drawing that every single author uses when drawing their characters. The word "anime" is used to describe all forms of animations that you see today. "Japanimation" is an older term used back before most of us were born.

LitKey
13 Jun 2007, 02:28am
[Off-Topic] So if you were Caucasian and you listened to rap music and dress like rappers, you're Whack?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wigger

mNote
13 Jun 2007, 03:33am
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wigger

It was a joke, lol.

Tsuruya-San
19 Dec 2007, 05:08pm
I only hate anime fans that use japanese (like kawaii or whatever) mixed in with english, those people need to die. That and furries, fucking furries need to die in a fire.

Agreed.

Henda
19 Dec 2007, 05:44pm
Another why just why, seriously stop bumping seriously old topics.

Locked.