PDA

View Full Version : A few fairly random questions.

BOOWY
21 Jun 2008, 01:32am
There are little nuances I'm missing... hopefully little. Maybe someone can enlighten me on some of these things.

1. How do I get a sound to fill a room and only a room? The map I'm working on has a secret area in it and I've got a looping MP3 in one of the rooms using ambience_generic and whatever the timer thing is called that causes the MP3 to loop. The issue I have is that I don't want the music to get louder/softer as I move closer to/away from the entity, I want to have the thing at constant volume for that particular room. I thought the Play Everywhere flag on ambience_generic would do it but that makes it play across the entire map. I've thought about putting multiple ambience_generics in to fill the room space but that doesn't seem right to me, either technique wise, performance wise or sound quality wise.

2. What's the deal with door looping sounds? When I set doors up to loop their opening/closing sounds(or at least set it up the way I think it should be done), specifying them to loop their opening sound seems like it makes the game play the sound over and over, causing them to overlap and get obnoxiously loud. Furthermore, the sound doesn't stop when one of my particular doors close, while another one does have it's sound stop, but stops halfway it's descent and makes no sound what so ever when I push the button to make the door ascend again. I want doors to have clean sounds like the ones in spacestation do. What settings do I use for doors like that on func_doors?

3. How do I write messages in the way that the 'Console' writes output to player's chatboxes like when you call boats and stuff?

If I ever finish this map, this stuff will eventually be useful. I'm a detail freak so it's taking a long time. I try to keep texture continuity whenever I can between different brushes with the same texture and spend forever trying to line textures up properly like making vents look proper instead of having their square portions misaligned like in blackmesa and a plethora of other maps. I might end up putting a Work In Progress up for someone else to grab and finish if they want, I dunno yet. I have a tendency to start things and not finish them.

I guess I'll continue posting here if I've got more questions as they come up while mapping.