PDA

View Full Version : ARK Survival Evolved Server?

Ace™
11 Jun 2015, 12:43am
How about a ark survival evolved server?

nothing more to say

Paralyzed
11 Jun 2015, 04:07am
Can imagine the game taking a lot of resources and probably needs a good dedi to be runned off. The game is also in it's alpha state whereas they still work on optimizing and fixing the amount of bugs they've came across. I'd say we wait until that is all done before considering opening up a server for the game.

Turtlefiish
11 Jun 2015, 06:11am
Can imagine the game taking a lot of resources and probably needs a good dedi to be runned off.

Judging by the game's optimisation, the server code must be a nightmare.

On the other side, can see the point in wanting a server now, as the game becomes more and more popular, starting a server will be more difficult since this doesn't seem like the game for server hopping.

BoM
11 Jun 2015, 06:27am
The game is insanely popular right now.

R3TROATTACK
11 Jun 2015, 06:52am
I feel like the same thing would happen on this server as what happened on rust.

Tsuna
11 Jun 2015, 07:19am
The game is insanely popular right now.

^ This

I feel like the same thing would happen on this server as what happened on rust.

I was asking Kubo the other day about the game, I'm not sure if rust had it back then but ARK has PVE apparently? The major reason people stopped playing rust was one some were hacking, and two people who no lifed it would always fuck other people over. But if it's PVE I don't see it being too much of a problem. Again this is based off what I heard about the game, I saw you playing it the other day R3TROATTACK so if you have some insight that'd be great ^_^

R3TROATTACK
11 Jun 2015, 07:23am
^ This

I was asking @Kubo (http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/member.php?u=8227) the other day about the game, I'm not sure if rust had it back then but ARK has PVE apparently? They major reason people stopped playing rust was one some were hacking, and two people who no lifed it would always fuck other people over. But if it's PVE I don't see it being too much of a problem. Again this is based off what I heard about the game, I saw you playing it the other day @R3TROATTACK (http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/member.php?u=13496) so if you have some insight that'd be great ^_^

I havent played it that much yet but there are options for pve or pvp i believe

Turtlefiish
11 Jun 2015, 07:28am

Yeah, we're not particularly lucky when it comes to non-source servers.

Punky
11 Jun 2015, 08:20am
Judging by the game's optimisation, the server code must be a nightmare.

On the other side, can see the point in wanting a server now, as the game becomes more and more popular, starting a server will be more difficult since this doesn't seem like the game for server hopping.

Game is way more optimized now and the server code is rather p good for an alpha :D + Yes it's better to start a server now, because the reason above

Ace™
13 Jun 2015, 12:33am
There is not much server stuff to be done i can run it from my own pc aswell its just a bat file u run.. where u can put all your settings not that horrible to be honest and last friday should be the jurassic ark patch which boosted optimalization by 30% u can also whitelist people by steam id and the ammount of content is alot. Besides if u turn on pve u cant destroy bases so people dont have to worry all that can happen is if you fuck up you lose stuff but thats on you.

Moo Moo Viking
13 Jun 2015, 04:04pm
Good idea great game, best to start now, like was said this is not a server hop game.

Extreme Potatoes
13 Jun 2015, 04:04pm
Can imagine the game taking a lot of resources and probably needs a good dedi to be runned off. The game is also in it's alpha state whereas they still work on optimizing and fixing the amount of bugs they've came across. I'd say we wait until that is all done before considering opening up a server for the game.

My thoughts.

SpikedRocker
14 Jun 2015, 01:38pm
I'm gonna be honest, I saw some videos of people playing, while neat, I feel it has a long way to go. If it remains in an early access state for too long it may fizzle out.

Punky
14 Jun 2015, 02:17pm
I'm gonna be honest, I saw some videos of people playing, while neat, I feel it has a long way to go. If it remains in an early access state for too long it may fizzle out.
I personally think it won't take too long, best devs I've ever seen: they actually care about players and update the game atleast few times a day, fixing stuff + adding

Zsoki
14 Jun 2015, 04:24pm
I personally think it won't take too long, best devs I've ever seen: they actually care about players and update the game atleast few times a day, fixing stuff + adding
I swear I've heard that too many times unfortunately... :|

SpikedRocker
14 Jun 2015, 05:08pm

I swear I've heard that too many times unfortunately... :|

^This. For the record, probably the best dev group I've seen use the early access stuff has been Introversion with Prison Architect (http://store.steampowered.com/app/233450/). These guys were one of the first games on Early Access and they have scheduled their full release late this year. They had a game idea but didn't really have a direction for it, they used the Early Access on top of social media to get feedback from the players. I adopted on alpha 10 or 11 and with mostly regularly monthly updates they just put out alpha 33 with 34 out in the next few weeks. They squashed bugs added many features and most importantly allowed the community to help guide and direct the game. The dev team put out 30 minute videos showing what each update did and even teased what was coming down the line.

Updating the game a few times a day is actually really bad tbh. For me if they have to push updates everyday I don't want to have to keep downloading every time I play. Either fix it one time or accept the bug for at least a week and fix other things along the way.

MPQC
14 Jun 2015, 08:44pm
I experimented with it a little bit -> last I checked (about a week ago), the server uses roughly 3~5gb of ram when the server is empty. I had plans on hosting a server for it until I saw that lol. It's extremely demanding with resources, so probably isn't really worth looking into as of now.

Mandeemoo007
14 Jun 2015, 09:17pm
So we are getting a Prison Architect server now!!!!!! SpikedRocker

SpikedRocker
15 Jun 2015, 12:48am
So we are getting a Prison Architect server now!!!!!! SpikedRocker

I wish it was MP... Would be fun!

BoM
15 Jun 2015, 06:37am
I experimented with it a little bit -> last I checked (about a week ago), the server uses roughly 3~5gb of ram when the server is empty. I had plans on hosting a server for it until I saw that lol. It's extremely demanding with resources, so probably isn't really worth looking into as of now.

LOL fuck that. Jeeze what are they thinking...

Punky
15 Jun 2015, 06:45am
Updating the game a few times a day is actually really bad tbh. For me if they have to push updates everyday I don't want to have to keep downloading every time I play. Either fix it one time or accept the bug for at least a week and fix other things along the way.

These are small hotfixes(less < 100mb for sure), that don't require servers to update as frequently as clients(usually once per day for servers or per 2 days, depending on the server owners), so as long as the server is running ex. 1.7 and your client is 1.7.4 you can still play with no problems. Also, this game isn't for people that will join for 30 minutes and leave, but once you join, you stay for atleast an 1-2+, so you only update once before the game starts and once you're done playing it for that day, but that's my opinion.

I experimented with it a little bit -> last I checked (about a week ago), the server uses roughly 3~5gb of ram when the server is empty. I had plans on hosting a server for it until I saw that lol. It's extremely demanding with resources, so probably isn't really worth looking into as of now

Yea, it's a resource eater. It will probably get better along the way. Might be tougher to populate when we decide to have it someday in the future though.

BoM
15 Jun 2015, 12:37pm
These are small hotfixes(less < 100mb for sure), that don't require servers to update as frequently as clients(usually once per day for servers or per 2 days, depending on the server owners), so as long as the server is running ex. 1.7 and your client is 1.7.4 you can still play with no problems. Also, this game isn't for people that will join for 30 minutes and leave, but once you join, you stay for atleast an 1-2+, so you only update once before the game starts and once you're done playing it for that day, but that's my opinion.

Yea, it's a resource eater. It will probably get better along the way. Might be tougher to populate when we decide to have it someday in the future though.

It's a big thing to assume the game will last, and to assume we need to get a server now to have a chance at a population.

We'd need a whole new VPS just to try this game. That's pretty rediculous.

Game seems interesting, but not worth the money/timesink for a sever. IMO