PDA

View Full Version : A difference between admin and power hungry police force

G-Man
18 Jun 2008, 08:12am
ok, i love the admins here personally, they are cool guys, and can be fun to play with. I guess im not one who pisses off admins on the server so ive never dealt with their bad side, one of these days when i get a job and my graphics card, i might get admin. but with the admins in general, a lot show thier strength and capability of powers way too often. Adminship isnt a, oh, if you dont let me drive the helicopter im banning you, or, you are talking to much, im muting you. Going into the mic thing, some admins think people talk to much on the mic and mute them, which sometimes people are only saying a few thing here and there. Talking to much on the mic is a debatable thing. If someones playing music, or making constant fuzzy noises, or yelling, or spamming in any way, then mute them, but dont expand the purpose of why you have the power to mute people in the first place.

I honestly think the best admins are the ones who dont show off their powers all the time or overdo their job but act like any other player their, but if someone is doing something they unquestionably shouldnt, like hacking or glitching, or spamming, they take care of it.

I just sometimes get the impression some admins think they are higher beings then normal players and like to make that clear, through using thier privalages, not admins abuse, but like using admin chat for everything they say, or getting paranoid over other players and throwing out threats to players all the time.

"Admins tend to think they are as high as a god, and as low as a king, but they should see themselves as a servers mientanance guy." Because honestly they are there to take out the trash, not make themselves looks mighty... Again, love the admins, just dont overdo your job, remember the prime reason why you are admin, to take care of people that do stuff against the rules, not make every non admin player on the server afraid of you..

SATAN
18 Jun 2008, 08:15am
I Agree...

nothing else to say

Lux
18 Jun 2008, 08:50am
I agree.

I'd also like to add that some admins seem to have some anger problems, maybe also they misconcept things, and aren't reasonable either.

Everyone gets angry but then angry normal players who do something bad get banned, whilst admins can do what they want, no one is recording admins 24/7 and if they do a one off thing it can't be proved, we know it is hard to catch an admin anyway.

Er also I think some admins tend to jump to conclusions alot, one admin constantly comes to mind.

In ban appeals the point isn't

"No I am right you lieing fuck I know you team killed because I THE ADMIN saw you. BAN STAYS".

Then that is literally it, and this happens all the time.

Not saying sometimes people don't deserve it but most people put across ban appeals which aren't offensive, they either politely ask for forgiveness or they want to know why they are banned. Don't assume they know why they are banned, maybe they don't actually know.

So I dunno what can be learnt from this....I guess actually consider things before you state your opinion...

Red
18 Jun 2008, 09:03am
I completely agree too. I try to play as one of the players and don't do anything unless I see someone being a total dick.

That being said, I am more lax than most admins. I remember what it was like when I first started playing on zm and there were prick admins, which is why I applied to become admin myself, because I wanted to be a nicer admin.

If an admin is banning people for not letting them fly the helicopter please let us know who it is.

Being an admin doesn't mean you're supposed to use your admin powers for your own enjoyment, you're supposed to use them to keep the server clean and enjoyable for the players.

Stickied

G-Man
18 Jun 2008, 09:46am
Uh,,,, tampon, i was creating this thread with you in mind :D

Your one of the worst admins ever, your like a dictator, JK <3

Red
18 Jun 2008, 09:54am
:angry:

Astrum
18 Jun 2008, 09:59am
There are also some admins who use the banhammer exclusively, often making the punishment far exceed the crime. There are other tools on your belt that you can use.

Going into G-Man's mic spamming example, I almost never see them get muted. One in ten gets muted, the others get banned. Some for a few minutes, others for days (not necessarily dependent on the severity of the spamming).

This said I have nothing but respect for the admins, and I know quite a few of them. It's just my personal opinion that punishments should reflect the infraction. A ban says "We don't want you here", the other punishments say "You screwed up, take your punishment and continue playing".

trakaill
18 Jun 2008, 10:37am
some admins makes it no fun by alway banning for small reasons. ty for this thread hope everyone reads it

GrimExistence
18 Jun 2008, 11:05am
quit talkin bout me:scared:

Z3r0 M4ni4c
18 Jun 2008, 11:46am
There are also some admins who use the banhammer exclusively, often making the punishment far exceed the crime. There are other tools on your belt that you can use.

Going into G-Man's mic spamming example, I almost never see them get muted. One in ten gets muted, the others get banned. Some for a few minutes, others for days (not necessarily dependent on the severity of the spamming).

This said I have nothing but respect for the admins, and I know quite a few of them. It's just my personal opinion that punishments should reflect the infraction. A ban says "We don't want you here", the other punishments say "You screwed up, take your punishment and continue playing".

I only want to state on this one that i mostly mute people that spam on the mic then i warn them so they know why there muted and i leave them muted for one round or some more to let them know that they where wrong and then i un-mute them.

But when they start again they are already warned before and then a ban is necessary that they cant keep irritating and annoy with mic spam.

But i agree also that admins should also play more instead of heavy doing there job or sometimes abuse there powers because they find it funny.

There are 39 other players that most of them dont like that admins abuse there powers. (then i take escape servers as an example).

Also i want to say when i leave the field and go spectate most of the time its because i see some guy keep breaking rules and stuff and dont want the gameplay get any longer or something.

I warn people always every round so the text will get through them and most of the time i dont have to do anything about admin job only when its needed i use it. And when im death and a guy ask questions i cant answer it with death talk so i answer it with admin chat so they know an admin pays attention.

But to dont get too much offtopic.

I agree with most of the stuff about some admins abusing powers for there own play. what i see sometimes.

raven maniac
18 Jun 2008, 12:09pm
I abuse ALL the time to make sure everyone feels my wrath! xD

Maxwelldon
18 Jun 2008, 12:24pm
I abuse ALL the time to make sure everyone feels my wrath! xDTell us something we don't know Raven :D

But ye, I applied for admin spot since I want to help out and enforce rules if needed - else I most like keep up as normal player :001_smile:

Astrum
18 Jun 2008, 01:01pm
I abuse ALL the time to make sure everyone feels my wrath! xD

But you're a sexy beast, raven. That means you're allowed to abuse me any way you like! :001_tt1: *cough* I mean abuse is bad, don't do it, mmmkay.

Seriously now though. I've played with you a lot Z3r0 M4ni4c, and you're a great admin. I didn't mean to imply that a ban for mic spamming is always wrong, it's not. Sometimes people just won't stop and you know that as soon as you leave they'll be annoying people again so a ban is the only thing you can really do. It's unfortunate you can't mute by steam ID.

P.S. - <3 Grim.

Farmer Mick
18 Jun 2008, 01:08pm
were r the power hungarians??

High
18 Jun 2008, 01:10pm
The thing is. No 2 players, No 2 admins, and No 2 situations are alike. Sometimes you have to use your best judgement. We go harsher on multiple offenders, i personnally move people on deathrun to ct because we don't need 6 people where 2-3 will do the job. It's really sometimes, you have to do a warning and ban on spur of the moment.

BOOWY
18 Jun 2008, 02:13pm
I think this is one of the big reasons why I'm opposed to having people pay for administrative privileges. I understand why it's done, and it's probably the primary reason why Haggard is able to own as many servers as he does, but stay with me for a moment on this one.

People are paying to perform a job on a server. That doesn't make sense in theory, people should be paying you to perform a job. This is one of those special cases where it's an exception, and it's there because the servers need policing and the servers need money. What happens when the servers don't need policing anymore? I think some people have this subconscious need to 'get their money's worth' when they haven't banned anyone for a period of time, or they have this swelled head because they make some strange correlation between paying money and their right to be a pre-Madonna(or prima donna if you prefer, both apply here) swinging a ban hammer instead of their mouth.

Like anyone with a job, you leave your personal shit at the door before you work, and you certainly don't take your anger out on co-workers or clients. Some days it's very evident that an admin happens to be angry on a particular day just looking at the number of bans that have taken place on a particular map duration. No, this isn't really a job, but you're performing a service for the server, a service for the people that happen to be using the server, and for the owner of the server, so it's sort of like a job.

Again, I don't feel like I should have to record every round, but there are some points in time where I've started recording simply because four or five people have gotten banned in a time span of four or five minutes.

Modgers1
18 Jun 2008, 03:42pm
Agreed, thank you Gman. :thumbup1:

-Modgers

Z3r0 M4ni4c
19 Jun 2008, 03:44am
But you're a sexy beast, raven. That means you're allowed to abuse me any way you like! :001_tt1: *cough* I mean abuse is bad, don't do it, mmmkay.

Seriously now though. I've played with you a lot Z3r0 M4ni4c, and you're a great admin. I didn't mean to imply that a ban for mic spamming is always wrong, it's not. Sometimes people just won't stop and you know that as soon as you leave they'll be annoying people again so a ban is the only thing you can really do. It's unfortunate you can't mute by steam ID.

P.S. - <3 Grim.

It wasnt ment as an attack i was just making an example astrum :001_tt2::001_tt2:

And we dont see it as a parttime job or something.

Its just we feel free to help a community grow. And you pay for services to help more. Thats voluntering (or how you call it, im dutch sew me :wink: ) to help a community. Thats a difference between the work on an office and helping a community from home :wink:

G-Man
19 Jun 2008, 08:21am
i shouldve made this more clear, its really threats that can be most annoying, even if theyre not doing shit, i just see way too many threats going out to players for some weird shit. I hear a lot of "DO THIS AND IM FUCKING BANNING YOU" or "SAY ONE MORE THING ON THE MIC AND CONSIDER YOUSELF GONE" kinda thing. Stuff like that. If someone does something wrong you give a warning out, do something like this (example) "Red tampon, dont call other players cruel names anymore." and you can add "thats a warning". but not "TAMPON IF YOU TALK SHIT BOUT PEOPLE GAIN YOU GOIN TA HELL, YOU GOT THAT?!" and if tampon responds "fuck you bitch" like he always does, you simply ban him or whatever, nothing more nothing less. Then everyone else is happy, and not scared of you to death. but dont give warnings out regularly if nobody isnt doing anything, people should know the rules and dont need 2 minute reminders like "GLITCH MO FOS AND IMA SEND MA BANHAMMER UP YA ASS!"

trakaill
20 Jun 2008, 04:13pm
great example would be island escape. Ive seen so many people get ban for shooting the spiky log or the falling logs. I mean comon dont be a nub and dont get stuck on those... But yeah if an admin really feels like banning someone go in break floor its basically like a drug fix.. for real

GrayFox
20 Jun 2008, 06:30pm
Zero actually does a great job with keeping people in line. Theres one admin who always just uses his anger for bans (but I won't say because, yes, I'm scared and don't want a flame fight). Look at all the "Please unban me" threads that there are which shows how many people get banned every day.

Zargotelc
29 Jun 2008, 06:39pm
Maybe it's just because I play on US Escape I for at most 2 hours per day Mondays through Fridays , but I've never seen admin abuse or a "power hungry police force". Most of these accusations are just spun by angry kids who try to deflect blame off themselves in ban appeals (go see the latest one for an example.)

I have managed to anger about 2 admins before way back in the day , but I never got banned for over a minute because of it. Once I got warned that if anyone did radio comments again they'd be kicked and I typed c 1 in my keyboard and got the boot lol. The admins here are usually pretty lenient , even the one I was arguing maps with didn't use any kind of ban or kick when I disagreed with him.

Lux
29 Jun 2008, 07:01pm
Depends you know, some admins are understanding, some are ban happy, some don't listen to anyone. I would say however that I have seen alot harsher admins, I got perm'd on a server for questioning an admin for teamkilling, and stuff like answering back to a flame from an admin ....

trakaill
29 Jun 2008, 07:55pm
admins love to be jackasses and tell people to stfu when they try to argue and admin decision. It pisses me off. cause admins arent always right unlike what a lot of them think.

SpikedRocker
30 Jun 2008, 03:26am
For the short time I've been an admin, I've seen its a very thin line we have to walk. We got to keep everybody happy but yet inforce the rules and even some rules the regular players don't know about. I can see how for some admins it can be just like babysitting a bunch of 3 year olds sometimes and they just tend to be an ass more when things get a bit out of hand. Patience is a virtue and a necessity when it comes to dealing with situations to make sure the right thing is done. Just because you felt you were wronged and you expect it to be handled then, doesn't mean it will happen. My advice for players, help us admins out, take screenshots and demos when you can. That would be the best in the world!

Dracula
30 Jun 2008, 08:33am
But Spiked your one of the good ones so dont worry :]

Suri
30 Jun 2008, 09:00am
I just like to punish myself. I have even banned myself when I felt I did something wrong. All Admins need to admin them self.

We all need to ask our self. WWSD. What would Suri do? And that's the real answer to all our problems.

PotshotPolka
30 Jun 2008, 09:15am
I tele people into chopper blades when I'm feeling low, whoops did I say that out loud? Scratch that.

Spartan
30 Jun 2008, 12:35pm
It seems like quite a responsibility to be admin. As for me, i have been admin on a server before and if you dont do something all the other players are saying you should do, cause someone was blocking for about 5 secs, and they all get pissed off, you just feel you have to do something or everyones go say your a crap admin lol. Also, i agree, ive had some bad moments with admins, and even when i know i didnt do anything wrong, and say it wasnt me, it was a accidental jump on the chopper, they just say, "No stop lieing, you did it on purpose and if you do it on purpose again, your banned". Granted its made me stay away from every button that kills team mates, every bridge or plank that drops humans somewhere, or rocks on heads, but it seems a bit to aggresive as some admins just think they are always right. And im sure one of the rules is to not only just respect admins, but also players.:001_cool:

Omar
2 Jul 2008, 12:28pm
ok, i love the admins here personally, they are cool guys, and can be fun to play with. I guess im not one who pisses off admins on the server so ive never dealt with their bad side, one of these days when i get a job and my graphics card, i might get admin. but with the admins in general, a lot show thier strength and capability of powers way too often. Adminship isnt a, oh, if you dont let me drive the helicopter im banning you, or, you are talking to much, im muting you. Going into the mic thing, some admins think people talk to much on the mic and mute them, which sometimes people are only saying a few thing here and there. Talking to much on the mic is a debatable thing. If someones playing music, or making constant fuzzy noises, or yelling, or spamming in any way, then mute them, but dont expand the purpose of why you have the power to mute people in the first place.

I honestly think the best admins are the ones who dont show off their powers all the time or overdo their job but act like any other player their, but if someone is doing something they unquestionably shouldnt, like hacking or glitching, or spamming, they take care of it.

I just sometimes get the impression some admins think they are higher beings then normal players and like to make that clear, through using thier privalages, not admins abuse, but like using admin chat for everything they say, or getting paranoid over other players and throwing out threats to players all the time.

"Admins tend to think they are as high as a god, and as low as a king, but they should see themselves as a servers mientanance guy." Because honestly they are there to take out the trash, not make themselves looks mighty... Again, love the admins, just dont overdo your job, remember the prime reason why you are admin, to take care of people that do stuff against the rules, not make every non admin player on the server afraid of you..

I AGREE SO MUCH!!!!!!!

Z3r0 M4ni4c
2 Jul 2008, 12:36pm
I just like to punish myself. I have even banned myself when I felt I did something wrong. All Admins need to admin them self.

We all need to ask our self. WWSD. What would Suri do? And that's the real answer to all our problems.

If i do that WWSD thing. I keep seeing a picture of you and vicious.
I dont know how it came but made its the fault of that picture thread of admins :rlol:

2 Dwarves, 1 Coat
28 Jul 2008, 01:20am
Amen...... Dwarves was here

SOLANUM
28 Jul 2008, 08:49am
STOP BUMPING OLD THREADS

trakaill
28 Jul 2008, 11:21pm
its a sticky:bored:

Maxwelldon
29 Jul 2008, 12:19am
STOP BUMPING OLD THREADS
Ownage <3

But yea, this thread is a sticky which quite much relates that the thread isn't wanted to be gone all sudden :huh:

SOLANUM
29 Jul 2008, 08:32am
I dont care, if its dead it still shouldnt be revived......and if somone gives me a chance to talk in all caps DAMNIT I'M GUNNA DO IT.

Suri
29 Jul 2008, 09:10am
Ownage <3

But yea, this thread is a sticky which quite much relates that the thread isn't wanted to be gone all sudden :huh:

Yeah but all this guy did was say I was here. Its just troll spam now.

Maxwelldon
29 Jul 2008, 01:13pm
Yeah but all this guy did was say I was here. Its just troll spam now. Yea, sort of annoying people does it indeed.. Myself I keep getting annoyed for when there is whole lot trash posts :sad:

2 Dwarves, 1 Coat
30 Jul 2008, 11:23pm
yeah sorry about that, ima go read the forum rules now :(

Dracula
24 Dec 2010, 08:38am
Just bumping a good thread, move along.

iNorris
24 Dec 2010, 09:35am
2 year bump. I like, I like.

Chainedlord
24 Dec 2010, 09:59am
I agree.

I'd also like to add that some admins seem to have some anger problems, maybe also they misconcept things, and aren't reasonable either.

Everyone gets angry but then angry normal players who do something bad get banned, whilst admins can do what they want, no one is recording admins 24/7 and if they do a one off thing it can't be proved, we know it is hard to catch an admin anyway.

Er also I think some admins tend to jump to conclusions alot, one admin constantly comes to mind.

In ban appeals the point isn't

"No I am right you lieing fuck I know you team killed because I THE ADMIN saw you. BAN STAYS".

Then that is literally it, and this happens all the time.

Not saying sometimes people don't deserve it but most people put across ban appeals which aren't offensive, they either politely ask for forgiveness or they want to know why they are banned. Don't assume they know why they are banned, maybe they don't actually know.

So I dunno what can be learnt from this....I guess actually consider things before you state your opinion...

vorter
28 Dec 2010, 04:17pm
HAHA wow thats a record... 2 years..

iNorris
28 Dec 2010, 05:07pm
I actually think Caution bumping his unresolved ban appeal to jen was longer. Stupid women...

Supa
28 Dec 2010, 06:36pm
STOP BUMPING OLD THREADS

LOL

mikeypoo
29 Dec 2010, 02:22am
Worthy bump. Nicely played Dracula.

Huwajux
29 Dec 2010, 07:35am
Has this been happening again? When I've played (admittedly not much as of late) most admins seem pretty chill and I rarely see them trying to throw their e-penis around.

Dracula
29 Dec 2010, 09:33am
Has this been happening again? When I've played (admittedly not much as of late) most admins seem pretty chill and I rarely see them trying to throw their e-penis around.

Just the usual im a god listen to me or else routine.

Edit: Lol I just noticed who deleted there post in here, irony.

Huwajux
29 Dec 2010, 09:40am
Just the usual im a god listen to me or else routine.

Edit: Lol I just noticed who deleted there post in here, irony.
Demo that shit and we'll deal it. I haven't seen it recently in my own experience but I never could stand those admins who flaunted their powers about with a delusional sense of superiority.

Dracula
29 Dec 2010, 09:42am
Demo that shit and we'll deal it. I haven't seen it recently in my own experience but I never could stand those admins who flaunted their powers about with a delusional sense of superiority.

Its much less of a problem now n days at least, 08 PB\Escape were horrid.

Huwajux
29 Dec 2010, 11:29am
Its much less of a problem now n days at least, 08 PB\Escape were horrid.
Well presumably you bumped the thread for a reason, so if you see it happening start a demo quickly and try to get it. Most of the time this stuff doesn't require striking and instead we'll probably just berate them. Strikes only really come if they don't make an effort to change/calm down after we've scolded them.