PDA

View Full Version : Bring MC Back

vorter
10 Mar 2015, 03:15pm
I fucking loved Minecraft and it's what brought me to SG back in 09-10 infdev era.

It's a shame that we closed our MC server which at one point always reached max capacity.

Therefore I am willing to drop $40 purely to get a new MC server up and $80 if I am allowed to administrate it somewhat(under the supervision of higher ups, of course).

As for my qualifications, I can fluently code in HTML, Javascript, and (somewhat fluently) Java and mySQL. I have set up and managed at least 5 different servers ranging from vanilla to Tekkit using FTP in all of them so I know all the plugins/config and commands inside and out.

I LOOOOOOOOVE MC and it was one of the greatest games of my child hood. Anyone else interested?

CALLING: SilentGuns and Nishok

Elemental
10 Mar 2015, 03:29pm
yay minecraft, get hunger games, yay :D

Moo Moo Viking
10 Mar 2015, 03:50pm
We would have to approach this server differently from the others to keep it populated if i am not wrong it is hard to keep MC populated for us it's been like that for sometime i was going to play MC when i get back but sadly soon after it we closed it down. I would like to see it back but we need to keep it populated.

Ace™
10 Mar 2015, 04:38pm
Great idea, think it used to be very popular

vorter
10 Mar 2015, 04:51pm
We would have to approach this server differently from the others to keep it populated if i am not wrong it is hard to keep MC populated for us it's been like that for sometime i was going to play MC when i get back but sadly soon after it we closed it down. I would like to see it back but we need to keep it populated.

I will scout out the most popular MC servers and see what we can bring to our server.
The Game of Thrones MC server for example is absolutely incredible. While we can't build something that massive with our manpower, we can substitute cool plugins like for example Factions which worked perfectly as an anti-grief measure. I have decent familiarity with Java so I may be able to scratch up some simple mods.

Ace™
10 Mar 2015, 04:53pm
I will scout out the most popular MC servers and see what we can bring to our server.
The Game of Thrones MC server for example is absolutely incredible. While we can't build something that massive with our manpower, we can substitute cool plugins like for example Factions which worked perfectly as an anti-grief measure. I have decent familiarity with Java so I may be able to scratch up some simple mods.

I could help out a bit as I have hosted some previous servers for friends which we actually used a lot and had to change the files a lot. I'm a horrible builder though totally no imagination i could re-build a building though

vorter
10 Mar 2015, 04:56pm
Great idea, think it used to be very popular

MC has the issue of lifecycles where it's everyone is having fun with the new MC updates and the infinite amounts of mods but then suddenly no one plays anymore as they get bored discovering everything. This is the DE FACTO problem with MC server death and is why we need to implement dramatic changes on a regular basis (monthly?) to keep players interested. These "changes" consist of a broad category which could possibly range from PVP, magic mods, Factions, Tekkit, etc.

BoM
10 Mar 2015, 05:00pm
I'll write on this later, I'd already been thinking about this before.

vorter
10 Mar 2015, 05:01pm
yay minecraft, get hunger games, yay :D

Hunger games seems to get a big hit right now so that is definitely up for consideration.

Also another reason our server died was pure monotony. After everyone builds their megacomplexes and crafts their
Labarr-blasting death rays, that's their end game. Replayability is key which I think can be brought back with aesthetic architecture/various mods(especially protection mods)/and advertising where allowed.

Prez
10 Mar 2015, 05:32pm
We'd really have to work to make sure people stick around because it's failed more than a few times. I'm all for it and I hope it works out!

SilentGuns
10 Mar 2015, 05:35pm
Hello friends.

I am willing to do MC again only if:

1) We raise enough money to run for at least 3 months (which should be around 132 if we use the old host). If people pay for it, we will administrate it. (contact me or bom first if you are interested in helping fund a new minecraft server)
2) We assemble a proper staff who are actually willing to work on the server. As I said when the last server shut down: if there is ever a new server then we will need more staff.

Me and Bom have briefly talked about some basics but I will let him share some ideas in here.

vorter
10 Mar 2015, 05:43pm
We'd really have to work to make sure people stick around because it's failed more than a few times. I'm all for it and I hope it works out!

The popularity bell curve seems to be true for all servers even our CSGO ones but it's especially worse for MC (which is why it failed so often).
Mostly regulars play for a while and make factions (add in QQ, etc) exploring all that is new in the newest updates, then get bored and quit.
We'd have to brainstorm something innovative to both attract and retain players. Off the top of my head are regular hunger games events, various mods like Tekkit, monthly map wipes, multiple worlds[survival/creative/hardcore], scavenger hunts, rewards that transfer over to our CS servers (ex. win a contest in MC and you win store credits in CSGO).

vorter
10 Mar 2015, 05:46pm
Hello friends.

I am willing to do MC again only if:

1) We raise enough money to run for at least 3 months (which should be around 132 if we use the old host). If people pay for it, we will administrate it.
2) We assemble a proper staff who are actually willing to work on the server. As I said when the last server shut down: if there is ever a new server then we will need more staff.

Me and BoM have briefly talked about some basics but I will let him share some ideas in here.

132 should be nowhere near what a basic server costs, even if you meant per 3 months which is still 40+.
The first server host I googled had a 2GB SSD VPS for $20/mo.

vorter
10 Mar 2015, 05:49pm

IF population declines we could variably adjust our server plan according.
For example, if we spend a lot on a big server and have it always full, great.
If suddenly only 5-10 are playing, we could just drop to a cheaper option until it starts to reach max capacity.

SilentGuns
10 Mar 2015, 05:50pm
132 should be nowhere near what a basic server costs, even if you meant per 3 months which is still 40+.
The first server host I googled had a 2GB SSD VPS for $20/mo.

Our last server cost $44/month. $20 servers are often complete shit but I suppose with sufficient research on the providers, we can try some out.

-------------------------
Also I should mention that it is now possible to set up a 1.8.1 server with working plugins. We could also attempt Tekkit or FTB again ( which were quite popular in the past but demand a powerful server )

BlackWhite
10 Mar 2015, 06:10pm
i suggest that we do something that is actually repeatable, or learn from the populars servers. (instead of faction, vanilla and tekkit when it failed and failed)

Mandeemoo007
10 Mar 2015, 06:17pm
I am pretty good at building in Minecraft. Although I haven't played it in about a year, I could help out with building the starting areas and stuff. And if I do get admin, I would be happy to help out moderating the server.

Fishey
10 Mar 2015, 08:07pm
Yea, played every MC server sense tekkit. Though some of the reasons I have quit before is that my base has been grieved multiple times so I hope we could coach down on that. I would be willing to help out in the server anyway I can. Maybe we should do mid apps again.

vorter
10 Mar 2015, 08:22pm
I'd scout out the massive 1000 player servers and survey the players as to why they prefer that server.

R3TROATTACK
10 Mar 2015, 08:34pm
Also I should mention that it is now possible to set up a 1.8.1 server with working plugins. We could also attempt Tekkit or FTB again (which were quite popular in the past but demand a powerful server)

I agree with this as I am a big lover of modded minecraft, but I'm going to point out the down side of it after most players hit the end game of the main mods of the pack people tend to quit faster then in vanilla. At least that my experience.

If we do end up getting either I am willing to help in what ever way I am able to, whether its creating plugins or moderating.
SilentGuns BoM

BoM
10 Mar 2015, 09:32pm
This is being discussed, and I'm willing to work on an MC server with the right backing and funding. How we are going to link this to SG is up in the air, as well as how the money will be managed. Fear not, these things will be worked out, however at the moment nothing is set in stone.

I can tell you:
- The cost of a decent/good server would be $40-$50 dollars a month.
- Good server choices would be Tekkit/FTB and/or Hunger games. Others can be discussed or mentioned, however these are the two with the most potential.
- Ranks for the server would be up in the air.
- With the server running under SG, I could only let CA+ work on the setting up/back end aspect. In game moderators are welcome and needed in excess. :)

I'm really happy that this has support, and I'd really like you guys to show it full force. Find your friends, tell them that this could be happening, show SG we mean business about MC. While MC has failed before, it is a very successful game and we have had successful servers. Me and Silent ran our most recent server, and it thrived for a long while, it was both profitable and populated. I'd like to see it that way again, and I'm sorry that it did fail, but some of the factors were out of our hands.

For any future endeavor into MC me and Silent would bring someone else on who either knows the server aspects already, or can be taught with relative ease. The stress and amount of effort me and Silent had to put in was draining, and it didn't help morale for us or others. There would also have to be massive support to keep this thing populated and advertising on some level. MC is a crap shoot for in game advertising, it really only gets spread from person to person chatter. I will do my best to keep our MC server page going with events to discuss this, as well as future events if the server does get up and running.

Tag me with any questions or comments.

vorter
10 Mar 2015, 10:42pm
This is being discussed, and I'm willing to work on an MC server with the right backing and funding. How we are going to link this to SG is up in the air, as well as how the money will be managed. Fear not, these things will be worked out, however at the moment nothing is set in stone.

I can tell you:

- With the server running under SG, I could only let CA+ work on the setting up/back end aspect.

:(

Elemental
11 Mar 2015, 02:48am
- Good server choices would be Tekkit/FTB and/or Hunger games. Others can be discussed or mentioned, however these are the two with the most potential.

About this, I've seen servers that just have a shitload of gamemodes (Hunger games, Parkour, minigames, and many more) all in one server.
I'm not entirely sure how they do this, but we should consider doing that if possible, so people can have a variation of gameplay, instead of always the same vanilla survival or always the same something else

Spyder
11 Mar 2015, 04:37am
About this, I've seen servers that just have a shitload of gamemodes (Hunger games, Parkour, minigames, and many more) all in one server.
I'm not entirely sure how they do this, but we should consider doing that if possible, so people can have a variation of gameplay, instead of always the same vanilla survival or always the same something else

Seen these before when my brother plays.

Its very similar to GMod Tower. You spawn and can go through different portals for different gamemodes (i.e HG, arena, horde, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3TROATTACK
11 Mar 2015, 06:20am
What they do is use a plugin like bungee which allows you connect from a hub server to different servers via portal/commands

Edit: This is also how they make 10k man servers without lag because it's technicall just several 100man servers

BoM
11 Mar 2015, 07:04am
Yeah exactly what retro said it's actually a bunch of servers put together. You can't throw all that on one server. You have to start with one solid game mode and then build up.

Zaraki
11 Mar 2015, 10:23am
Last time, some motherfucker cleared out our faction base and stole our stuff, then jumped over to another faction.

That caused like.. 8 people to quit instantly

BoM
11 Mar 2015, 10:30am
Last time, some motherfucker cleared out our faction base and stole our stuff, then jumped over to another faction.

That caused like.. 8 people to quit instantly

It's silly to quit over something so small. Also factions seems to be off the board here for now from the people I've talked to.

ExRev
11 Mar 2015, 12:02pm
I'd love to see SG have another Minecraft server, but there are too many people that just want to grief and troll others.

Fuck that shit, no use putting time into anything.

On the other hand, gib me MCMMO back. The RPG-like nature of that was the best.

Zaraki
11 Mar 2015, 12:03pm
It's silly to quit over something so small. Also factions seems to be off the board here for now from the people I've talked to.

After spending so much time on it?
They even stole Nasu's pink wool carpet!

Ace™
11 Mar 2015, 12:09pm
<19:08:19> "SilentGuns": tell you what
<19:08:24> "SilentGuns": you donate 200 bucks towards MC
<19:08:28> "SilentGuns": and I will talk to you
<19:08:30> "SilentGuns": in private
<19:08:41> "SilentGuns": one day

Apparently SilentGuns is willing to talk to you in private 1 entire day if you donate 200$ towards MC

Babyeater
11 Mar 2015, 01:58pm
I enjoy programming and fabricating complicated redstone contraptions to automate processes, so personally, I can't stand vanilla Minecraft. When we were modded, I played it a bit, but after having things stolen I quit. The Direwolf modpack is nicely balanced and has a lot of content for people to explore before quitting after reaching end game. I believe there is a server version of the mod pack that removes some of the objects that would constantly cause lag by reloading or processing information at obnoxious rates.

As for griefing problems, I know there is a plug-in that records the moment a block placed by one player is destroyed by another and saves the chunk's state before the block was destroyed. An admin can then access the plug-in, seeing who destroyed the block and reverting the building to its previous state.
There was also another plug-in that gave each player an amount of plots they could purchase (with in game currency) and control/build in. Other players could not access this land and no one could access land that had not been bought. I believe the amount of plots you could have was based on rank.

And for the money problema, perhaps there could be a Minecraft specific subscriber, I might actually pay for that.

I have also been on servers that take multiple game modes and spread them out on multiple dimensions within one server, dunno how. They were also able to maintain a high population with little lag, dat elasticity though.

bamfers
11 Mar 2015, 03:41pm
Make a mod where I can be a sex slave and I'll donate $400

ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้ ༼◉Д◉༽ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็ ้้้้้ ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้ ༼◉Д◉༽ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็ ้้้้้ ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้ ༼◉Д◉༽ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็ ้้้้้ ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้ ༼◉Д◉༽ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็ ้้้้้

fuck that

Mandeemoo007
11 Mar 2015, 09:07pm
I enjoy programming and fabricating complicated redstone contraptions to automate processes, so personally, I can't stand vanilla Minecraft. When we were modded, I played it a bit, but after having things stolen I quit. The Direwolf modpack is nicely balanced and has a lot of content for people to explore before quitting after reaching end game. I believe there is a server version of the mod pack that removes some of the objects that would constantly cause lag by reloading or processing information at obnoxious rates.

As for griefing problems, I know there is a plug-in that records the moment a block placed by one player is destroyed by another and saves the chunk's state before the block was destroyed. An admin can then access the plug-in, seeing who destroyed the block and reverting the building to its previous state.
There was also another plug-in that gave each player an amount of plots they could purchase (with in game currency) and control/build in. Other players could not access this land and no one could access land that had not been bought. I believe the amount of plots you could have was based on rank.

And for the money problema, perhaps there could be a Minecraft specific subscriber, I might actually pay for that.

I have also been on servers that take multiple game modes and spread them out on multiple dimensions within one server, dunno how. They were also able to maintain a high population with little lag, dat elasticity though.

On a huge survival server that I played on before, they allowed raiding and stuff, but you could set plots, and put signs on the doors and chests so that only you could access them, and you could add people to go into that chest, or open that door as well. And the plots I think, are the best option, because they basically delete the griefing problem as a whole.

SilentGuns
12 Mar 2015, 06:22am
Make a mod where I can be a sex slave and I'll donate $400

ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้ ༼◉Д◉༽ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็ ้้้้้ ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้ ༼◉Д◉༽ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็ ้้้้้ ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้ ༼◉Д◉༽ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็ ้้้้้ ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้ ༼◉Д◉༽ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็ ้้้้้

fuck that

http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/prison-pearl/

Elemental
12 Mar 2015, 06:40am
On a huge survival server that I played on before, they allowed raiding and stuff, but you could set plots, and put signs on the doors and chests so that only you could access them, and you could add people to go into that chest, or open that door as well. And the plots I think, are the best option, because they basically delete the griefing problem as a whole.

110% Agree

vorter
12 Mar 2015, 08:40am

Yeah we had that plugin it's called Factions. We also had a plugin that locked chests and doors that let you add authorized users (Factions mod also blocks non faction members from using doors/chests/whatever in the faction plot).There are plenty anti grief plug-ins such as Guardian that shows who edited what and reverts all changes up to a specified time period.

I've managed dozens of MC servers since infdev and edited probably thousands of YAML files along with SQL all though FTP. I would LOVE to help set up the server and am willing to throw buckets of money to support it if needed.

Mandeemoo007
12 Mar 2015, 03:38pm
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/prison-pearl/

You would find that. -_-

Ace™
13 Mar 2015, 06:32pm
I Guess Bamfers will be making a generous donation of approx 400$

Revolution18
15 Mar 2015, 05:43am
Given i haven't played SG minecraft since like idk when the issue is for some reason people will either burn out real quick or just turn on each other. What i see happening here is people will put money into it and then only a few people will stick with it for more than like three months. I know a couple of times when i did want to get back into minecraft the server was basically all empty.

Moo Moo Viking
15 Mar 2015, 09:08am
Vampire Army!

vorter
18 Mar 2015, 07:50pm
Given i haven't played SG minecraft since like idk when the issue is for some reason people will either burn out real quick or just turn on each other. What i see happening here is people will put money into it and then only a few people will stick with it for more than like three months. I know a couple of times when i did want to get back into minecraft the server was basically all empty.

True, eventually you "win" the game and run out of stuff to do. You could combat this with expansion plugins like McMMO, Factions, and Tekkit or server resets/game changes but unfortunately Minecraft servers will eventually die with the exception of those massive servers like the Game of Thrones replica one. I do think it's much worth the money for the time it is popular. Then after x months or years when it dies down we can just cut the server off so no money is being wasted. Possibly people will get an itch for Minecraft after a long time like what's happening now and agree to help pay to start a new server, and then the cycle repeats.

XeNo
18 Mar 2015, 08:15pm
I will start a thread in the AO section to discuss this and see what we can work out.

Moo Moo Viking
4 Apr 2015, 07:59pm
Facebook was stalking me and for some reason this came now 50%off for servers from https://apexminecrafthosting.com/minecraft-hosting/

Zaraki
5 Apr 2015, 01:48am
Facebook was stalking me and for some reason this came now 50%off for servers from https://apexminecrafthosting.com/minecraft-hosting/

Making a server and funding it isn't the thing here, ask SilentGuns

It's to keep it interesting and populated that's hard :/

Pixelmon Server anybody?

Earth to BoM

SilentGuns
5 Apr 2015, 05:44am
Pixelmon Server anybody?

N6ws3OPfWlw

It looks pretty interesting

El NIÑO (>^-^)>
6 Apr 2015, 09:50pm
Gotta catch them all :O! ( dont know how to downloads mods and stuff ) :( too lazy for et

Leon
7 Apr 2015, 11:17pm
N6ws3OPfWlw

It looks pretty interesting

YES!!

Gotta catch them all :O! ( dont know how to downloads mods and stuff ) :( too lazy for et

Same :|

XeNo
8 Apr 2015, 07:37pm
Update on this:

We're working out some details and getting ideas together to possibly bring MC back. Not going to state 100% it's coming back just yet, but we are looking at seriously taking a look at how we would implement another MC.