PDA

View Full Version : MySpace Suicide Trial Starts

SpikedRocker
16 Jun 2008, 01:10pm
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/16/internet.suicide.ap/index.html

I've been very interested in how this will turn out. The woman being tried pleaded not guilty. I have a feeling she will get away with it due to not being a legal law to be tied to. But I hope this case in general has opened peoples eyes and lawmakers eyes on the dangers of the internet and kids. I agree parents need to police their own internet to protect their kids, but when something does slack through they are backed up(ie. teaching stealing is wrong, but if they do it there is still punishment type things). Parents really can't protect their kids from everything, but I know I'll try my best to do so. I'll definatly keep an eye on this case.

Itch
16 Jun 2008, 01:23pm
Kids in general can be cruel to each other.

But when a parent steps in and is cruel to a child they deserve to be beaten.

It's bad enough when a kid gets verbally abused by another kid.. but fuck this.. if an adult stoops to that level there should be some sort of recourse to punish that adult. Especially when it ends as badly as this did.

I'm all for that bitch (if truly guilty, which it looks like she is from previous news about this story) going to prison and being bought and sold for cartons of cigarettes.

VirDeBello
16 Jun 2008, 02:14pm
Wait so a 49 year old women made up a fake thingy?

Oh yeah P.S.- If the kid killed herself because of that even if this 49 year old lady didn't do, it would have bound to happen anyways. Parents need to beat the shit outta there kids more to toughen them up.

Italian Jew
16 Jun 2008, 02:27pm
Wait so a 49 year old women made up a fake thingy?

Oh yeah P.S.- If the kid killed herself because of that even if this 49 year old lady didn't do, it would have bound to happen anyways. Parents need to beat the shit outta there kids more to toughen them up.

WU TANG!

Itch
16 Jun 2008, 02:29pm
Parents need to beat the shit outta there kids more to toughen them up.

What is the easiest way to reach your parents.. phone, e-mail?

apparently you need to get the shit beat out of you some more..

You know... just to toughen you up a bit.

LegalSmash
16 Jun 2008, 06:41pm
Actually there are laws against this: you are not allowed to incite violence, or for that matter, torment and individual. While she may not get a murder charge, as the girl was apparently quite An-hero prior to the hanging, this woman can get into some degree of trouble for tormenting the girl, causing emotional distress, etc. Civilly, the woman is pretty fucked, her parents can sue for the death (wrongful death action), intentional infliction of emotional distress, harassment just off the bat, the standard is preponderance of the evidence in a civil trial, much lower than "beyond a reasonable doubt" in criminal law.

Remember, OJ may have been acquitted but he was still civilly liable for nearly 30M to the families of goldman and Brown.

This being said, I dont necessarily think its a parenting issue, kids fucking with other kids is a community issue and a parenting issue on both sides. Like it or not, as generations pass, the kids get more and more pussified. I got shit ALL the time when I was a kid, am still here, and doing better than most. I don't think its appropriate to legislate social interaction of little consequence to most people. In some cases, maybe you just shouldn't let your kid have a myspace, if they are that immature and fragile.

It may sound callous, but it is nonetheless reasonable.

Italian Jew
16 Jun 2008, 09:25pm
If you want to punish them, take away their interwebz...that'll teach those little bastards! :rlol:

LegalSmash
16 Jun 2008, 10:31pm
If you want to punish them, take away their interwebz...that'll teach those little bastards! :rlol:

Rofl. Sadly, to some kids, taking away their net is like castrating them with a spoon in their opinion. My friend's younger brother grades were down and his parents cancelled the net (they both had it at work, so he's the only one that lost out), they told me he acted as if someone had given him superAIDs or shot him...

"BUT I HAVE TO CHECK MAH MAHSPAACE"

"I GOTTA SEEH MAH SECON' LAHF GF BFF BBWGF WTFZOR"

I pity them... not because of the Kid, but bc they never really learned about effective use of "beat that ass"/

time outs..
LOL.

Italian Jew
17 Jun 2008, 12:21am
Disciplining your children through physical means gets a bad wrap from the parents who decide to bear claw their kids for spilling milk or correcting them.

Using physical punishments for serious things (and not to extreme) will do a lot better than time outs. If you feel that the physical stuff isn't working out, switch it up with some mental punishment. Its all good unless it goes too far. If it goes too far, your kid grows up either afraid of the world or punches babies.

EDIT: Don't do this

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/16/tied.to.tree.ap/index.html

VirDeBello
17 Jun 2008, 08:49am
Well from what I see, kids that receive physical punishment seem to grow up with more respect, common sense and smarter. I know if I didn't get that I would probably be a different person now. On another note I am not saying beat your kid up if he or she behaves like they should, some kids are just born to respect adults and such. My sister never got this special privilege and she has no respect for my mom or dad or me and is just a little bitch. I guess it makes children realize that life isn't just candy and toys but pain also.

P.S.- E-mail is perhaps the easiest.

Itch
17 Jun 2008, 09:47am
IMO this is only an issue because it was a adult harassing a kid. Had it been another kid it would most likely not gone to court and not been the media circus this will turn out to be.

Again.. the supposed adult should know better than to do something like this and SHOULD be held responsible in some way.

SpikedRocker
17 Jun 2008, 10:37am
IMO this is only an issue because it was a adult harassing a kid. Had it been another kid it would most likely not gone to court and not been the media circus this will turn out to be.

Again.. the supposed adult should know better than to do something like this and SHOULD be held responsible in some way.

Thank you itch. The way this thead was going seemed like the adult needed more beatings..lol..but what the adult did was something I see a teenager do, not a 50 year old woman.

AppleShark
17 Jun 2008, 10:49am
Remember, OJ may have been acquitted but he was still civilly liable for nearly 30M to the families of goldman and Brown.

You just wait until he finds the real killer, then we can all finally put this mess behind us.

LegalSmash
17 Jun 2008, 03:35pm
Again, read the section in the article that says "infliction of emotional distress", something is happening. You cannot charge someone for murder when they just tormented someone to suicide, its not illegal to heckle someone unless you've previously been warned or restrained.