PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Generators

PotshotPolka
16 Jun 2008, 12:10pm
http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/images/hydrogen-generators.jpg

Believe or not my Jeep will be outfitted with one of these babies, along with an EFIE chip to lower the amount of fuel injection (basically makes a leaner fuel mix.) Overall parts are about $75 and the chip can run up to $100, but the thing looks like a bomb and can save you 25-50% of your fuel needs.

Look into it, I'll bump this thread in a few weeks with actual results.

Captain Colon
16 Jun 2008, 12:12pm
wtf does it do, just replace some of the fuel with hydrogen?

SpikedRocker
16 Jun 2008, 12:12pm
How does it work?

PotshotPolka
16 Jun 2008, 12:15pm
Hold on, I'll go upload the ebook with blue prints, but it mixes HHO (Hydroxy) with the fuel and is actually very safe, and I believe all the replacements necessary are extra water and baking soda every 12000 miles or so.

PotshotPolka
16 Jun 2008, 12:23pm
Okay here we are. Look it over, it's pretty simple.

SpikedRocker
16 Jun 2008, 12:35pm
For practical purposes Potshot...Whats your current gas mileage?...run the device for 2-3 weeks, and post your gas mileage then. Otherwise, there should be no harm done to your car. Its possible to save a lil on gas...but I dunno how much.

Captain Colon
16 Jun 2008, 12:37pm
I don't really see why you would need a new FI map to go with it. If anything I would either go with megasquirt or just leave the stock computer.

PotshotPolka
16 Jun 2008, 01:38pm
For practical purposes Potshot...Whats your current gas mileage?...run the device for 2-3 weeks, and post your gas mileage then. Otherwise, there should be no harm done to your car. Its possible to save a lil on gas...but I dunno how much.

My Jeep is a 99' Wrangler and gets 16-20. I'll gauge it from the moment I activate it, but yes I'm skeptical too. My dad brought me the plans saying he was going green.
Oh yeah, another thing I forgot, but you can actually apply for a $2000 tax break (I don't know the cap) from the IRS for installing it. I'll be sure to tell you guys, but let's say it's a longshot and only increases efficieny by 20%. If your vehicle gets 20 mpg and you drive 30 miles a day for a month it will cost you $180 for 45 gallons (if prices stay around $4). Add your extra 4 mpg to the equation and it comes out to $150.

PotshotPolka
26 Jun 2008, 05:35pm
--->Bump

Just gathered the last of the parts, minus some washers I need to go buy, and the EIFE chip we're going to buy tonight, will be assembled within a week.

Itch
26 Jun 2008, 06:13pm
let us know MPG pre and post installation
I'm really curious to find out how well it works.... or doesn't.. whichever it may be.

Italian Jew
26 Jun 2008, 07:01pm
If it does work, we will not hear from him again. The fuel companies will silence him...

Godspeed chap!

Red
27 Jun 2008, 08:55am
SOunds like a scam

PotshotPolka
27 Jun 2008, 09:00am
Well we're only $50 into it, and $50-60 more for the EIFE chips, which were developed for the exact opposite reason were using it for, so we know those aren't fake.

PotshotPolka
29 Jun 2008, 01:38pm
Fucking plexiglass is being a basterd, 50% done....

mNote
29 Jun 2008, 10:02pm
Good luck on that, Potshot. I would really love to know how well it turns if you manage to get it to work.

PotshotPolka
30 Jun 2008, 07:22am
Hmm... Interesting, I now know how to make a bomb out of nothing but an air-tank, a 12 volt battery, baking soda, and distilled water.

SpikedRocker
30 Jun 2008, 07:25am
Is that essentially what this device is?

PotshotPolka
30 Jun 2008, 07:53am
Is that essentially what this device is?

........With two mason jars, a spool of stainless steel wire, and some nuts and bolts, yeah, thats all it is.

broncoty
7 Jul 2008, 04:05pm
bump

PotshotPolka
7 Jul 2008, 09:30pm
Fuck off, I'm still trying to figure out a way to store the unit and hook the EFIE chip into the oxygen sensor.

Molotov
7 Jul 2008, 10:15pm
Or you could dump the jeep and for 900$ you could buy a 90 Honda Accord that gets 31 mpg city:001_tt2:

But seriously, if it does work im sure my father will be all over this. Once he saw the article about the mustang that gets the ridiculous gas millage, he started tearing into his mustang hatchback to see if he could figure out what the guy did. So, good luck working with that chip (i had to install a new computer for my mustang....seriously fuck that shit:sneaky2:)

GMan
9 Jul 2008, 04:39am
Submarines have been using this technology for years now, its a shame they haven't released the technology into the civil market :glare:

broncoty
10 Jul 2008, 09:31pm
Fuck off, I'm still trying to figure out a way to store the unit and hook the EFIE chip into the oxygen sensor.

bump X2

PotshotPolka
13 Jul 2008, 09:26pm
Still working on EFIE, been dicking around playing paintball and whatnot sorry.

PotshotPolka
18 Jul 2008, 11:56am
90% All preparation has been finished, we had to overhall the placement of the elbows for the air/gas supply, and the location of the gang-valve.
All the remains is securing and hooking up the system in the jeep, and configuring the EFIE chip, but I'm still not sure how to splice the wires in, and I still need a safety container for the chip.

PotshotPolka
24 Jul 2008, 04:25pm
It's..... almost.... done.....

SpikedRocker
24 Jul 2008, 05:26pm
Yay! I'm excited...just hope you don't blow up:blink:

PotshotPolka
24 Nov 2008, 02:22pm
Getting there eventually...

SpikedRocker
24 Nov 2008, 02:25pm
ROFL! I totally forgot all about this...haha. Procrastinator!

PotshotPolka
24 Nov 2008, 02:33pm
ROFL! I totally forgot all about this...haha. Procrastinator!

Well the problem is that a couple months ago the rear and front hub assemby of our other SUV had to be replaced, and then the day after the Jeep's radiator cracked, which put us back a couple grand.

The issue now is that the exhaust chamber up in the engine is leaking, due to a broken bolt inside of it. Because of this, the EFIE chip doesn't get a correct reading, which will add more or less fuel and cause the engine to stall, or worse.

I'll try to make time during the break to finish, but besides that, the device has been ready for months.

Sandstorm
1 Jan 2009, 02:27pm
*Bump Check*

Any update Pot?

trakaill
1 Jan 2009, 03:04pm
*Bump Check*

Any update Pot?

One rare bump thats worth something!! nice man:clap:

SpikedRocker
1 Jan 2009, 03:27pm
Indeed I wanna know if this works.

PotshotPolka
3 Jan 2009, 11:29am
I'm taking the Jeep into a shop to get the broken bolt tapped out on Tuesday, can't do it any earlier, but I'll upload a picture of the generator so you all can see that I'm not blowing steam here.

UPDATE: Here's the generator in all it's simplistic glory:
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/6407/1000864wg8.jpg
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/4496/1000865gp4.jpg
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/818/1000866ut3.jpg
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/4936/1000867xl5.jpg

PotshotPolka
27 Jun 2009, 06:49pm
I swear a solemn oath to Al Fucking Gore I'll install it by the end of July.

Mcbride
27 Jun 2009, 08:34pm
lol you better man i wanna know

VirDeBello
27 Jun 2009, 08:40pm
Didn't they de-bunk this sorta thing on Mythbusters?

PotshotPolka
27 Jun 2009, 08:49pm

its a different system entirely.

Harpr33t
28 Jun 2009, 08:41am

LOL read my mind.

PotshotPolka
28 Jun 2009, 11:25am
At the moment generators aren't efficient for the energy required for the electrolysis.

The electrolysis is produced by combining the baking soda and distilled water with an electrical charge via the alternator. It is not nearly enough to power a vehicle on its own, but the hydrogen produced is pumped directly into the air intake and ignited along with the gasoline and oxygen. The effectiveness after that is a matter of how much hydrogen is produced and the vehicle's weight and motor specs.

PotshotPolka
29 Jun 2009, 08:06am
Baking soda and sistilled water?

I thought it would be powered by the car battery or something, lol.

That's the alternator. If it was powered directly by the car battery I'd have to disconnect the damn thing whenever I wasn't driving.

PotshotPolka
5 Aug 2010, 07:21pm
BUMP

Guess what I found in my garage that's been collecting dust?

»ננğяєαt™«
5 Aug 2010, 09:07pm
BUMP

A homeless man?

Or a Hydrogen Generator?

Harpr33t
6 Aug 2010, 12:15pm
BUMP

Omar?

Chainedlord
6 Aug 2010, 03:37pm
I want the results, or did you give up after a year and a half?

PotshotPolka
8 Aug 2010, 11:20am
I want the results, or did you give up after a year and a half?

No, I'm just too poor/cba to fix an intake manifold issue with my Jeep that would jeopardize my whole system if it were leaking the gas under the hood.

Shadowex3
9 Aug 2010, 10:54am
The electrolysis is produced by combining the baking soda and distilled water with an electrical charge via the alternator. It is not nearly enough to power a vehicle on its own, but the hydrogen produced is pumped directly into the air intake and ignited along with the gasoline and oxygen. The effectiveness after that is a matter of how much hydrogen is produced and the vehicle's weight and motor specs.

It's a shame I didn't see this thread all the way at the beginning or I would've saved you the trouble. While a car CAN run on hydrogen, you've got to already have the hydrogen onboard in a tank or something and be using an engine designed for the much different needs and effects of hydrogen/air combustion than gasoline/air combustion.

Now straight "run your car on electrolysis!" things are obviously BS and thats why I assume you went instead for the harder to spot mathematical impossibility of reducing fuel consumption by onboard electrolysis mixing hydrogen with your gasoline.

Now I'm not saying you arent mixing in hydrogen with your fuel, you are, it's just that you're only going to be getting about a third (http://www.fuelsaving.info/hydrogen.htm) at best of the energy you spent to produce the hydrogen back in fuel savings. In other words you're still actually using more energy to make the hydrogen and run it through the system than you would if you just didn't bother to begin with.

If you want the hard math then this guy (http://science.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=162621&cid=13590693) can help you. If you want it in laymans terms: In order to improve your fuel efficiency through hydrogen your engine cracked under it's own power you would need to be getting more energy out of hydrogen than you spent to produce it to begin with. To do so would be breaking the laws of thermodynamics by using an engine to produce more energy than it costs to make that energy to begin with.

PotshotPolka
9 Aug 2010, 11:05am
Ah, see this is what I what I was wondering about, I assumed the electrolysis would occur using the passive idle level of output from the alternator, not make it ramp up to create it. Nice read though, thanks.

Shadowex3
9 Aug 2010, 04:17pm
Actually that's kinda sorta what happens but not. We all know an engine works basically by detonating a precise fuel/air mixture to drive pistons which spin the main drive train pole and that turns the wheels. There's also a bunch of belts and chains that run various other things, pumps, the air conditioning system, your alternator and so on. A lot of these extra systems can be physically bypassed when they're turned off. Engage them though and the engine needs to use power to run the belts/chains that run them. That puts a load on the engine from the extra physical power being exerted.

All of this is unnecessary to know however because the simple clue that the whole system wouldn't work is that it would need to produce more power than it used up to begin with. The one thing you should always ask yourself is "Where does the energy come from, and where is it going?".

PotshotPolka
9 Aug 2010, 05:20pm
Actually that's kinda sorta what happens but not. We all know an engine works basically by detonating a precise fuel/air mixture to drive pistons which spin the main drive train pole and that turns the wheels. There's also a bunch of belts and chains that run various other things, pumps, the air conditioning system, your alternator and so on. A lot of these extra systems can be physically bypassed when they're turned off. Engage them though and the engine needs to use power to run the belts/chains that run them. That puts a load on the engine from the extra physical power being exerted.

All of this is unnecessary to know however because the simple clue that the whole system wouldn't work is that it would need to produce more power than it used up to begin with. The one thing you should always ask yourself is "Where does the energy come from, and where is it going?".

I dun no. But the power of earth, fire, wind, water, and love combine to make Captain Planet, who cares nothing about cost efficiency.

Bad Dog
9 Aug 2010, 06:05pm
I dun no. But the power of earth, fire, wind, water, and love combine to make Captain Planet, who cares nothing about cost efficiency.

Thats true, but Earth, Wind and Fire can fuel limitless amounts of funk, now if we can just turn funk into fuel, our problems will be over.

Shadowex3
10 Aug 2010, 01:15pm

Yes but if you combine the powers of liquid, solid, gas, plasma, and vaginal lubricant you get Wilford Brimley.