PDA

View Full Version : Possible Deathrun map

SpikedRocker
16 Jun 2008, 09:17am
Just throwing this idea out there, not sure all the elements are possible but who knows.

Anyway, while playing the deathrun server the past week or so, a few people mentioned this is simular to Sasuke or Ninja Warrior. So I've pieced together my idea for a ninja warrior deathrun map. The pictures of the drawings I got aren't very good so I'll make good descriptions for you.

Picture 1:(Quadruple Step)
From the start platform you have to jump on to 4 triangular shaped platforms.
On button, the triangular platforms retract.

Picture 2:(Bridge of Blades)
You got a bridge with holes in it that you could fall through if you don't pay attention. On button, blades come flying out of no where.

Picture 3:(Jump Hang)
You run and hit a trampoline (I'm not sure we can make a thing to act like a trampoline, if not the jump wouldn't be as far) to catch a net wall that is a ladder entity. On button, the trampoline fails (either not bouncing or fan blowing down).

Picture 4:(Hill Climb)
Run up a steep incline. On button, barrels roll down the hill.

Picture 5:(Reverse Fly)
Run and Jump into a trampoline to a platform under where you jumped. If trampoline is not possible, make it a surfable shape. Will probably have to make an invisible wall so people won't jump down easier. On button, trampoline fails, same way no bounce or fan.

Picture 6:(Warped Wall)
Run up a half pipe to grab an invisible ladder. On button, ladder explodes or some lethal damage to player.

Picture 7:(Rope Climb)
Run up and jump on to a swinging rope (would have to have a ladder entity) then jump on to a rope ladder. I'm not sure the swinging rope would work but if not just have the rope ladder. On button, swinging rope swings backwards, if rope swing is not possible, some other trap would be in place. Theres a 2nd button that would once the player completes this obstacle that would teleport them to the "2nd stage".

Thats all I got for now. Will update as ideas come. I would like suggestions and tips on how to go about making this map, expecially the trampoline and swinging rope, where I have no clue how to create.

Basically I plan to come up with the 4 stages of ninja warrior in one map. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Red
16 Jun 2008, 09:41am
Can you retake those pics with macro mode. They're blurry

SpikedRocker
16 Jun 2008, 10:13am
Can you retake those pics with macro mode. They're blurry

Its a cheep camera that doesn't have it...so I've quickly went and drew it in photoshop. Please bare with me I did this really quickly so these are not works of art.

also for those unfamiliar with Ninja Warrior...youtube search it...you'll find out.

Itch
16 Jun 2008, 10:37am
I used to watch Ninja Warrior all the time..

I like the idea.

Marquis Posa
16 Jun 2008, 10:38am
nice ideas you got there.
for a trampoline you could take a look at this map:
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/20535
there are 2 trampolines and 1 springboard and if the map isnt protected you could decompile it and look how it works, good luck.:thumbup1:

SpikedRocker
16 Jun 2008, 11:47am
nice ideas you got there.
for a trampoline you could take a look at this map:
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/20535
there are 2 trampolines and 1 springboard and if the map isnt protected you could decompile it and look how it works, good luck.:thumbup1:

I downloaded the map and will take a look at it. Thanks!

But I've photoshopped the original photos and came up for ideas on 2nd stage.

Picture 8:(Ledge Walk)
From the start you have a small ledge to walk on that has 3 different levels. On button fans blow players off the ledges.

Picture 9:(Super Jump)
Players hop on to a slider, simular to the surf board that is on Helina's heli map or whatever it is. It slides down and you jump to a landing pad. On button an explosion on the landing pad occurs.

Picture 10:(Hammer Dodge)
Player needs to dodge hammers swinging. On Button hammers reverse direction.

Picture 11:(Reverse Conveyer Belt)
Player runs up the conveyer belt. On button heavy block falls down (breaks after belt)

Picture 12:(Metal Spin)
Typically on this one the competitor will jump and swing on chains around a circle but I think that would be hard to make, so players will jump on platforms revolving in a circle. On button platforms drop.

Picture 13:(Wall Lift)
Usually the competitors have to lift the walls, but I feel that would be too much for the players, so walls will move up and down on their own. On button explosions inbetween the walls. There is a 2nd button that will teleport the player to stage 3.

I think time limits should be imposed on this map, as they are in the real course. Time for each stage would be determined later. Stage one would have more time than stage 2, usually stage 3 doesn't have a time limit. If we could have seperate time limits for each stage that would be good.

SpikedRocker
16 Jun 2008, 11:53am
And here is the rest of the pictures.

JoniX
16 Jun 2008, 01:07pm
*Suggestion*
Dont make buttons just make all traps automatic and SG will have NinjaWarrior tournament.:P

SpikedRocker
16 Jun 2008, 01:11pm
*Suggestion*
Dont make buttons just make all traps automatic and SG will have NinjaWarrior tournament.:P

I thought about that, but don't there needs to be 1 terrorist for the game to work right? If I'm wrong, i'm all about eliminating the buttons, keeps it real with ninja warrior.

SpikedRocker
16 Jun 2008, 02:18pm
K last picture post I'll have till the map making commences..which I might start tackling tomarrow.

Picture 14:(Pillar Path)
Players have to jump on pillars to get across. On button, some of the pillars will end up being ghosts and you'll fall right through. And if we don't do buttons...some pillars will already be ghosts.
Picture 15:(Chain Swing)
Players jump on platforms that swing back and forth to get across. On button, the speed changes.
Picture 16:(Globe Grasp)
Since using hands isn't a CSS quality, the platforms are extremely small. No button for this one because of the small platforms.
Picture 17:(Curtain Cling)
Players cling onto a wall using a ladder entity to cross the gap. On button, a fan blows to knock the player off.
Picture 18:(Cliff Hanger)
Argueably the hardest obstackle in real ninja warrior. Player will have to grab onto bars with ladder entity's to get across. The bars change in elevation. No button on this one.
Picture 19:(Pipe Slider)
Player jumps onto a pipe that is a ladder entity and hits the use button to start it sliding to a platform. On button, the pipe will start earlier possibly making player miss the pipe all together. On button 2, teleports player to stage 4.

Stage 4 is basically a straight up climb to the top of a tower. Once the player touches the rope, a timer should start. Along the rope climb if we do have terrorists, a button will fire stuff at the climbing player. If time runs out, the rope disappears and player falls to death. If the player makes it to the top, he hits a button that kills everyone else, if 2 players reach the top there should be knives or something at the top to decide who is the ninja warrior.

Theres a total of 20 traps...plenty in my opinion.
So with it all laid out, any more suggestions?

SpikedRocker
6 Jul 2008, 04:14pm
*UPDATE*
I have started the build in hammer of this map.

Overall I still have to make the grass and water kill and buttons to do all their work.

Quadruple Step: 90% complete...

Bridge of Blades: 85% complete...

And I've started the Jump Hang. thats like 5%. Any suggestions of how to make the rope net to climb? I use each brush as a rope but seems a bit complicated, if theres an easier way I'd like to know.

So far thats all I got. If I keep on a contant pace of 2 traps per day (which i probably won't) I could finish in 2 weeks and have a test ready but I think it might be a month. If anyone else would like to get their hands into this that would be bunches of help. One question that keeps coming up...do we even need terrorists in this map, in the real version of this map theres no one setting off the traps. If we can do with out terrorists that would be a change of pace on a death run map.

Marquis Posa
7 Jul 2008, 01:35am
And I've started the Jump Hang. thats like 5%. Any suggestions of how to make the rope net to climb? I use each brush as a rope but seems a bit complicated, if theres an easier way I'd like to know.

idk if this helps, but you could use the texture tools/toolsinvisibleladder. you just have to make a brush with this texture around the whole net and it will be climbable.
make sure that the texture/brush is 1 unit longer than the brushes of the rope net.
another possibility would be to select all rope brushes at the same time and group them so you only have to change the properties once.

SpikedRocker
7 Jul 2008, 02:40am
idk if this helps, but you could use the texture tools/toolsinvisibleladder. you just have to make a brush with this texture around the whole net and it will be climbable.
make sure that the texture/brush is 1 unit longer than the brushes of the rope net.
another possibility would be to select all rope brushes at the same time and group them so you only have to change the properties once.

Thanks marquis! That should make life a bit easier!

On another note, I got the idea to make each stage have a different skybox. Typically the first stage is done durring the day and the other 3 stages are after the sun goes down. So maybe first stage has 100% sun light, 2nd stage have 50% (?), third have 15% and last stage be fully lit by spots like its supposed to.
Also I think on the Jump Hang obstackle I'll take out the trampoline and just make it a long jump to the rope net. Reason being, it would be difficult to angle the jump to make it. I studied another maps tramp and it looks like trying to angle your jump is just not possible, I jumped in from the side and it just sent me perpendicular to the face, in real life i should have angled off the thing. So I might have to re-work obstacles that use the trampoline.

And a new question for you guys to think about, if i make a climbable rope on a motion track, would it work? Thanks again for reading!

Clod14
11 Jul 2008, 06:22am
Dude this is nice. ;D When will it be done ? :]

SpikedRocker
12 Jul 2008, 10:35am
**UPDATE**

Got Jump Hang and Hill Climb roughly done. They might need to be adjusted once testing has commenced.

Overall I still have to make the water and grass deadly. Also as you see in the pictures, I need to make the skybox.

Picture 1 shows the CT start point, it has 30 spawn points.
Picture 2 shows the quadruple jump.
Picture 3 shows the bridge of blades, I need to make this rotate on an axis still.
Picture 4 shows the jump hang and hill climb.

I've been thinkin about the terrorists and their job in this map. I want to keep this as true to real Ninja Warrior as I can so activated traps shouldn't be used. But I have found a use for the terrorists. They will be kept in the "commentators box". They hit a button that triggers a timer that will let them advance to the next stage but will also trigger a timer that will require the CT's to get through the stage at a certain time. If a CT cannot complete the stage he will be killed somehow. I am also gonna add a "waiting room" inbetween stages for CT's that finished the stage before times up so they can't get too far ahead of the T's. I hope to roughly finish stage 1 today. Thanks for reading and the support!

Pictures in next post. stupid me

SpikedRocker
12 Jul 2008, 10:45am
Sorry I had to adjust the size of the pictures...but here they are.

SpikedRocker
12 Jul 2008, 04:21pm
**UPDATE**

I have first stage 90% done. All I need to do is the T's commentators box, CT's Teleport box, and the Skybox. A few tweeks will be needed once testing commences. Here are the rest of the pics of the map so far.

So far I am happy with how its turned out, hopefully it all functions the way I've planned, I am abit worried about the Rope Climb part of Stage 1. I have the pedulum on a track and it should go fine just worried it might not look natural or smooth.

H.Blade
12 Jul 2008, 07:11pm
Looks good, closed beta I assume?

SpikedRocker
13 Jul 2008, 06:48pm
Looks good, closed beta I assume?

I'm not really ready for beta testing. Right now I have an issue with my skybox (which I am just about out of ideas for), one of my train track things are not working the way I'd hoped. I have got the terrorists box for stage one built, just need to add the buttons and door to it. I will need to adjust the ropes for jump hang due to them not being in reach, even with a really good jump. Hopefully I'll get some ideas on how to fix all these things this week and get stage 2 moving.

SpikedRocker
22 Jul 2008, 05:14pm
**UPDATE/PROBLEM**
I'm having an issue with my skybox. See pictures to see what I mean. I put all the skybox info in according to valves wiki page. I am also having a problem with my ropes, I run right through them. Do i need to set them to collide with world to make the player catch on to them?

After these problems are fixed Stage 1 will be 95% complete. Stage 2 has been redesigned so it can actually be done in Hammer, some of my elements were not possible. I should be starting on stage 2 this week and hopefully be finished by the weekend.

SpikedRocker
25 Jul 2008, 11:29am
BUMP
Thanks for not letting my dumb ass didn't post the pictures :-P...ok here they are.

Marquis Posa
25 Jul 2008, 12:59pm
your map could have a leak.
to find the leak you have to compile the map first, then go in hammer to "Map" -> "Load Pointfile"
http://www.mapping-tutorials.de/tutorials/halflife2/reflex061.jpg
after you have done this a red line will appear, which will leet you to the leak.
http://www.mapping-tutorials.de/tutorials/halflife2/reflex062.jpg

SpikedRocker
25 Jul 2008, 06:15pm
That was good tip, but I know i'm not leaking cause a pointfile isn't created. The way I understand it the file is created when a leak is detected.

If your map is not totally sealed, the compile tools (vbsp.exe, specifically) will report a "leak" and generate a pointfile.

I have the skybox completely surrounding my map so its not being leaked to the outside world. I think it could be the water causing the problem now. I don't have any "hard" surface under the water entity, if I didn't have the hurt trigger in the water you'd fall to the bottom of the skybox. I am gonna add a surface to land on and compile it again to see if its fixed. Any other suggestions?

Marquis Posa
30 Jul 2008, 05:27am
hmm if you want i could take a look at the .vmf file.
at least the skybox should be somehow fixable, did you try another sky texture? maybe the current one is messed up or something.

Blubla
30 Jul 2008, 07:37am
Can you please post your compile log?

SpikedRocker
30 Jul 2008, 08:32am
Can you please post your compile log?

I'll compile again tonight, to get it a fresh one since i've made some changes and post it before heading to work tomarrow around 3 AM EST