PDA

View Full Version : CS:GO Skin Giveaways

h3adsh0t
11 Jan 2015, 10:27am
I know you're thinking how could a monthly skin giveaway help the community?

I think this we could possibly bring in more of a population to the community by making the requirements of the giveaway being a Mem in the community at least. (If we still even have the Mem tag i haven't seen it in ages.)

Now yes this will bring people to the forums the solely just want to get mem just for the giveaways but even if 1/3 of the people who sign up stay wouldn't it be worth it?

Advertisement will be needed throughout the ZE server considering it is actually very populated and doing well.

How would we pay for these skin giveaways?
Either someone would donate these skins or Add some on to our monthly donation goal and take that bit of money and buy some or one skin.
This doesn't mean we give away $100+ knife skins at all. Im talking more of $50 and under range. Even if you have steam games in gift for you would like to donate to the community to give away we could also do that as well.

This is the exact way that twitch users get subs. They say sub for giveaways and a large amount of people sub for that month and after that month they will probably only keep half the people that subbed. But that is still that much more than you had.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before i scrolled back in the declined section a bit didn't see a thing about it.

floffypus
11 Jan 2015, 10:45am
I can see this working! If we advertise on steam groups and reddit! If we can get people to donate cheap or expensive skins we can do a weekly giveaway to anyone who posts in the thread! With no post or join date requirements!

capp'n
11 Jan 2015, 10:46am
1.buy a knife thats around 40-50 dollars
2.make a raffle with 1 key entry and 25-35 slots
3.give away knife and cash out keys to someone with paypal
4.??? here is when you donate the money you got from the keys to sg if you didnt know

h3adsh0t
11 Jan 2015, 10:51am
1.buy a knife thats around 40-50 dollars
2.make a raffle with 1 key entry and 25-35 slots
3.give away knife and cash out keys to someone with paypal
4.??? here is when you donate the money you got from the keys to sg if you didnt know

But if you make people donate a key why would that make them want to sign up on the forums and become apart of the community?

This will work if we do a different giveaway for something expensive AFTER we get a good population.

BoM
11 Jan 2015, 10:59am
But if you make people donate a key why would that make them want to sign up on the forums and become apart of the community?

This will work if we do a different giveaway for something expensive AFTER we get a good population.

You make them have to post in a thread to sign up?pretty simple...

h3adsh0t
11 Jan 2015, 11:03am
You make them have to post in a thread to sign up?pretty simple...

So you are saying you'd go to a forum that you have never heard of, sign up, become a member, AND donate a key just to enter a raffle?

BoM
11 Jan 2015, 11:05am
So you are saying you'd go to a forum that you have never heard of, sign up, become a member, AND donate a key just to enter a raffle?

The member part is stupid. You can't force that on people. You'll kill off any potential population. Besides that, yes

h3adsh0t
11 Jan 2015, 11:06am
The member part is stupid. You can't force that on people. You'll kill off any potential population. Besides that, yes

I dont see too many people paying $2.50 just for a chance at a cheap knife.

BoM
11 Jan 2015, 11:09am

Then you have no clue about the CSGO economy. 1/25....1/50 even are better chances for a knife than you get opening a gun or knife worth that much.

h3adsh0t
11 Jan 2015, 11:13am
Then you have no clue about the CSGO economy. 1/25....1/50 even are better chances for a knife than you get opening a gun or knife worth that much.

You're correct i have no clue. Only trading i've ever been apart of is TF2. Either way if it helps the community it wouldn't matter as long as it helps.

And a free giveaway just sounds more inviting to the community too.

capp'n
11 Jan 2015, 11:15am

I know of a group that I am currently in that they hosts a bunch of raffles (like over 5-10 a day, we dont have to host many a week), and they host things from AK-47| Redline, to things like a Karambit Boreal Forest, and their entry prices vary from like .50 (a not so expensive gun) to a key (2.50, for something like a knife or something of equal value) and the slots in the giveaways get filled up quick. If we did this system we could bring in players to the forums to sign up for them and increase donations.

Zorg
11 Jan 2015, 11:17am
How I would see it is just have some simple requirements such as have at least 10 posts or a certain amount of time on the servers to just ENTER the raffle no need to give a key to be in the giveaway. But if you were to raffle off something expensive yes I agree with capp'n make slots and make them pay for raffle tickets. You can also say that hey if you FEEL like donating it helps us keep our community to keep alive and what not or whatever you would want to say. If it where possible to get something started on reddit this could be a big thing to increase traffic towards the sites and servers as well. I also wanted to do something like this, Silentguns had the idea of doing something almost like a secret santa... You would just sign up and you would receive a giftee and you would receive a Santa (Someone gifting to you) and you would have a set minimum price you can spend on someone and if you feel you want to spend more you could. And with this you could also have the Subscriber perk that would gift more expensive things to one another. I don't know i feel like this could be awesome... The only things is would be getting a good reddit page going.

floffypus
11 Jan 2015, 11:22am
Having requirements for posts and or join date wouldn't make people join, since they wont be able to participate right away. If there are no requirements people would join, maybe even stick around for next weeks giveaway and so on! Maybe for more expensive items such as knifes and "awp asiimov" we could have requirements such as 50 posts and 5 months join date.

Zorg
11 Jan 2015, 11:26am
Having requirements for posts and or join date wouldn't make people join, since they wont be able to participate right away. If there are no requirements people would join, maybe even stick around for next weeks giveaway and so on! Maybe for more expensive items such as knifes and "awp asiimov" we could have requirements such as 50 posts and 5 months join date.

Yeah I see what you mean by that but seriously 10 posts is not that hard to get

floffypus
11 Jan 2015, 11:27am
Yeah I see what you mean by that but seriously 10 posts is not that hard to get

Ofc it isn't, but i'm pretty sure most people would just say screw this and and leave. But if were doing this to attract new members, its for the new members and shouldn't require them to "spam" the forum in order to participate!

Zorg
11 Jan 2015, 11:29am
Ofc it isn't, but i'm pretty sure most people would just say screw this and and leave. But if were doing this to attract new members, its for the new members and shouldn't require them to "spam" the forum in order to participate!

True, So you think it would be better for them just to have to sign up and not have any posts?

floffypus
11 Jan 2015, 11:45am
True, So you think it would be better for them just to have to sign up and not have any posts?

When the main purpose is to get people to register on the forum yes.

capp'n
11 Jan 2015, 02:37pm
When the main purpose is to get people to register on the forum yes.

You're basically saying lets host raffles for guns that could range below 40 dollars and just give it away to just anyone who signs up on the forums with no contribution at all. But for the expensive raffles we have to have 50 post, which is really easy. I mean yes lets get more people to actually sign up on the forums, but will they actually stay and do anything other than enroll themselves in giveaways without having them do anything like donating or post in other sections?

There's also a question that gets brought up, where are we going to get the money to pay for the skins? We won't have people donating skins every day/week, so we're going to have to supply them from somewhere (unless someone donates a gun every week). If we would use the pay a certain amount to get an entry, not only would we be able to pay for the skins, but that would allow us to boost donations which we all know we are in need of.

floffypus
11 Jan 2015, 03:30pm
You're basically saying lets host raffles for guns that could range below 40 dollars and just give it away to just anyone who signs up on the forums with no contribution at all. But for the expensive raffles we have to have 50 post, which is really easy. I mean yes lets get more people to actually sign up on the forums, but will they actually stay and do anything other than enroll themselves in giveaways without having them do anything like donating or post in other sections?

There's also a question that gets brought up, where are we going to pay for the skins? We won't have people donating skins every day/week, so we're going to have to supply them from somewhere (unless someone donates a gun every week). If we would use the pay a certain amount to get an entry, not only would we be able to pay for the skins, but that would allow us to boost donations which we all know we are in need of.

I get that. I was just thinking about getting as many new members as possible which seemed to be the purpose. Ofc many would just join to and post one comment every week to enter the give away. Then again, set the requirements to high and people wont bother. Might as well advertise for a giveaway no new member can enter lol. But since most people are sold when they read "Skin Giveaway" and will register either way, we might as well just set the post count up to 50 and hope a few sticks around to hit that 50 post mark.

And when it comes to skins i dont really think it matters all that much what the value of the skin is, everyone like free shit. And im sure many could donate a couple cheap skins they never use or cant use in a contract. There are some good looking "cheap" skins on the market.

BoM
11 Jan 2015, 03:40pm
I get that. I was just thinking about getting as many new members as possible which seemed to be the purpose. Ofc many would just join to and post one comment every week to enter the give away. Then again, set the requirements to high and people wont bother. Might as well advertise for a giveaway no new member can enter lol. But since most people are sold when they read "Skin Giveaway" and will register either way, we might as well just set the post count up to 50 and hope a few sticks around to hit that 50 post mark.

And when it comes to skins i dont really think it matters all that much what the value of the skin is, everyone like free shit. And im sure many could donate a couple cheap skins they never use or cant use in a contract. There are some good looking "cheap" skins on the market.

repeating myself here, requiring people to stick around for an excessive time to partake in a contest is dumb, and honestly shouldn't happen. You can't force post count for reward, we saw that very clearly with the tiered regular ranks. The idea of any giveaway like this is direct advertisement for our site, that's it. We're not going to use any giveaway to stimulate posting on the forums, however if that is something that comes out of the giveaway than all the better. You say set requirements too high and people won't bother? 50 posts is too high. Demanding any posts or time spent is too high.

Bottom line here, there are a thousands of these giveaways all over the internet, and that's just for CSGO. Its either for quick money or quick advertising, anything beyond that is truly asking for too much and people will just ignore you. Cappn's idea is really great, it provides quick money and advertising, and in the long run will make it easier to keep running these events or similar CSGO events over and over.

That is how you keep people here, offer something that we can actually afford to keep doing. I will talk to some other people about Cappn's idea, see how realistic it is for us to run it.

Also the value of the skin does matter a lot, everyone knows the big name skins, and the big name skins cost more money. You have a twitch channel saying "giving away vulcan/m4 cyrex/assimov anything" and your channel and whatever you're advertising fucking explodes.

Neptune
11 Jan 2015, 03:41pm
Also you can just make it so you can donate straight through the community, and then you can easily see who donated that month and they automatically be entered into the raffle. Making the donation minimum be like $2.50 (same as a key). Also taking in donations from steam as in keys or maybe even expensive weapons to give away. Maybe some new forum tab for raffles would be nice if you guys committed to doing some raffles.

Edit: Maybe you could purchase raffle entries too, making it pretty annoying, but would probably let more money flow in if people could have more entries.

floffypus
11 Jan 2015, 04:15pm
repeating myself here, requiring people to stick around for an excessive time to partake in a contest is dumb, and honestly shouldn't happen. You can't force post count for reward, we saw that very clearly with the tiered regular ranks. The idea of any giveaway like this is direct advertisement for our site, that's it. We're not going to use any giveaway to stimulate posting on the forums, however if that is something that comes out of the giveaway than all the better. You say set requirements too high and people won't bother? 50 posts is too high. Demanding any posts or time spent is too high.

Bottom line here, there are a thousands of these giveaways all over the internet, and that's just for CSGO. Its either for quick money or quick advertising, anything beyond that is truly asking for too much and people will just ignore you. Cappn's idea is really great, it provides quick money and advertising, and in the long run will make it easier to keep running these events or similar CSGO events over and over.

That is how you keep people here, offer something that we can actually afford to keep doing. I will talk to some other people about Cappn's idea, see how realistic it is for us to run it.

Also the value of the skin does matter a lot, everyone knows the big name skins, and the big name skins cost more money. You have a twitch channel saying "giving away vulcan/m4 cyrex/assimov anything" and your channel and whatever you're advertising fucking explodes.

I was just replying to the topic, then twisting the idea as i got responses. I in no way said this is how it should be done! And i dont see how rewarding those who stick around like with the regular rank is a bad thing! If you didnt read my earlier posts, i never wanted to have any requirements to enter the giveaway, i was just throwing ball over the idea because someone mentioned it!

And no, it doesnt matter what the value of the skin is, if its free people will want it! Ofc the more value the more people will come!

Cappns suggestion isnt bad! And should definitely be discussed further!

We can always separate the giveaways, cheaper skins below a certain amount can be free for all to enter, and cappas idea where people enter with keys or money for the more valuable skins like asiimov and vulcan.

h3adsh0t
11 Jan 2015, 07:41pm
We can always separate the giveaways, cheaper skins below a certain amount can be free for all to enter, and cappas idea where people enter with keys or money for the more valuable skins like asiimov and vulcan.

This exactly. Although this can be used to make money I was leaning towards more populating the community as I don't know the financial situation of SG. But the idea of both you get both worlds. The inviting sound of the word "free" and the inviting sound of expensive skins.

(Just like twitch has follower giveaways (free) and subscriber giveaways both done on most top channels)

floffypus
17 Jan 2015, 06:12pm
Okay, so lets see how this could work out. Ive got like 7-8 skins that i could give away. These are not "great" skins or anything but hey, its free :P

If i could get a PM from everyone who have a skin(s) they would like to donate for a skin giveaway i can see how many skins we have so we can get this started. If you want to include the skin name too that would be nice.