PDA

View Full Version : SG in-house competitive matches

xDoodles
13 Oct 2014, 11:59pm
I think we should have a tournament for SG people for League of Legends. Back in the days a lot of higher ups that are now retired and some supporters/members we would play League of Legends together. We also even had a tournament back in the day with prizes. I honestly think we should do something like that again or maybe with a different game just to bring the community together and have fun!

:bird:

ScubaToaster
14 Oct 2014, 03:12am
The fundamental issues I can see with hosting a league tournament are these:

- Playerbase is distributed across NA and EU
- Correlating with above we have few players; probably a bit lower than 20 optimally. Either the tournament would be extremely small or include outside talent. If it included outside talent we'd see the same issue that raised notable hue and cry last time this idea was proposed, upper tier players with high ranked friends versus the more casual players.
- Scheduling is fucked because timezones so unless this tournament was done on a weekend it'd be hard to coordinate.
- 90% of our players are shit.
- 2 A.M. no coffee in sight.

Malibu
14 Oct 2014, 06:00am
I'd participate with my own friends if that's possible. (outside talent around gold-diamond level)
Edit: I strongly agree with scuba.
In my opinion a CS GO tournament seems to be easier and we could probably get +20 players.

Neptune
14 Oct 2014, 01:57pm
Some points from the 3v3 we had a while back which could better the next tournament,

We can't have changing of teams (trading, dropping, picking up...etc) unless it is monitored with some sort of rule like 1 trade per team for example.
Need someone to have an account on sg, or something along those lines, for at least a certain amount of time (2 months seems reasonable)
We can have 2 ways of making teams:
-crappy way, completely random assigned teams
-better way, people can volunteer to be a captain, we get an event going in teamspeak where we draft players and it becomes fair (maybe some people listing ranks as in cs:go and league if the captains are unaware of their standings or may not know them
People must be held responsible (as in some sort of penalty for their team or what not) if they drop out of the event. (with certain exceptions of course, such as personal stuff...etc)
Entry price, having a price to enter the tourney which can be used as a prize pool for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (this point goes with the one below as well)
Prizes can be done a couple different ways:
-We can have players donate money, games, steam codes...etc for the prize.
-Have the entry price thing which may deter a few people because they don't like taking the risk. (if anything it would be low like 5 dollars via paypal)
Scheduling needs to be done within a certain time frame or teams will be penalized.

We can get this together guys, but people need to be dedicated, unlike most of the past tourneys (aka soccer & league)

xDoodles
14 Oct 2014, 06:35pm
CSGO is perfectly fine. The previous League of Legends tournament back in the past was choosing your own people for the team, but we had SG people getting randoms as their team mates so idk if that might be a problem again.

SpikedRocker
14 Oct 2014, 11:33pm
One thing that kinda pushed me away from playing league around here was the crazy people who expects too much out of their teammates then rages. Thats fun for no one. Playing casually was fine but when we started playing against each other it got really bad and people got really pissed off.

I also wouldn't mind doing things that aren't as crazy as ARAMs and stuff. It can get a bit stupid with the randoms but thats part of the game. If you try scheduling things at least a week or 2 in advance it does make it easier for more people to show up.

Probably the best thing to do is get a bunch of ideas together and see what people are willing to do. Advertising a thread for voting can help make things easier to decide.

Game Freak
15 Oct 2014, 06:07am
Did somebody say SGSL ?

ScubaToaster
15 Oct 2014, 08:54am
One thing that kinda pushed me away from playing league around here was the crazy people who expects too much out of their teammates then rages. Thats fun for no one. Playing casually was fine but when we started playing against each other it got really bad and people got really pissed off.

I also wouldn't mind doing things that aren't as crazy as ARAMs and stuff. It can get a bit stupid with the randoms but thats part of the game. If you try scheduling things at least a week or 2 in advance it does make it easier for more people to show up.

Probably the best thing to do is get a bunch of ideas together and see what people are willing to do. Advertising a thread for voting can help make things easier to decide.

Drop by TS3 sometimes, we've got a bunch of vulgar children who absolutely suck and we play ARAMs occasionally.

Neptune
15 Oct 2014, 01:13pm
Drop by TS3 sometimes, we've got a bunch of vulgar children who absolutely suck and we play ARAMs occasionally.

wow old man, then how did i get this score

http://gyazo.com/29e6d1a804e7a2cd12de57091b12186f

BlackWhite
15 Oct 2014, 05:03pm
Did somebody say SGSL ?

Was going to say that, the tornament itself is a disaster. Lots of disappearing people, unfair drafting ortoo unbalance due to people disappear or drop out last momment, scrim regulars are in the same team.

3v3 might work but depending on the skill level, it could be frustrating.

SpikedRocker
15 Oct 2014, 10:46pm

LOL, well if they are children that may be why you don't see me. I work till Midnight so I'm on overnights mostly. :-P

Game Freak
16 Oct 2014, 03:43am
Was going to say that, the tornament itself is a disaster. Lots of disappearing people, unfair drafting ortoo unbalance due to people disappear or drop out last momment, scrim regulars are in the same team.

3v3 might work but depending on the skill level, it could be frustrating.

tbh that was the fault of the organisers. The SGSL used to be a 'good' league, it had some obvious better teams (Eldest) but it was good fun.
The problems that plagued the last tournament were:

1) organisers didn't have the time when it happened, shit happened oh well.

2) the idea of 'only 2 good players in a team' was really smart. The problem was that it was badly implemented.
Partly because the organisers didn't know the exact levels of everybody and generally the scrimregulars got it even though
some of them weren't good and it added unbalance.
BUT: in CSGO this is fixed since we now have rankings and we can use them to sort out a system e.g 1 dmg+ , 1 ak+ etc.

3) our community has gotten too casual, this in itself is no issue its the targetted 'audience', but this means we don't have many top players.
Last time i got in a scrim here was maybe 3 months ago ?

If we look at these problems, the only real problems we'll have is people , and strictness.
These are all solved by an incentive. This really doesnt have to be money. a special rank will do, something to show of your skill.
We had these in the last one , but the imbalance made people give up for good reason.

And i think we should allow people outside the community If they follow the imposed team rank limits.
I'd love to host a tournament, but i'm not in the touch with the community nor do i have the ability to set this up, i'm sure we have some higher ups who are interested in compcsgo.

To end i feel we can get the people together in CSGO, in LOL we have a split base, and if we look at other mobas like Dota2, where i would love to do a tournament for, we don't have the interest. but it could be a good way to learn dota if people want.

harro
16 Oct 2014, 02:50pm
We should have an open* tournament. Inhouse-only stuff is what's driving this community into the hole it's been recently.

Game Freak
17 Oct 2014, 03:16pm
We should have an open* tournament. Inhouse-only stuff is what's driving this community into the hole it's been recently.

Not necessarily, SG has always been a community of split groups, they just used to be active together for stuff like this.

And i find it ironic a thread that started as a LoL tournament thread is this inactive. Normally LoL is all the hype.

DoubleSb
19 Oct 2014, 05:10pm
I never got my prize winnings cause my team is the only one left.