PDA

View Full Version : How the hell do I get better at this game

Sulliman
23 Sep 2014, 09:56am
No matter what I do or how much I play I simply cannot get better at this game. After spending so many years in CS:S the guns simply feel too different and don't register correctly in my brain. It feels like there's no feedback to my guns and none of my shots hit. How do I fix this, where can I go to learn the weapons better or learn how to fire accurately?

mapper
23 Sep 2014, 10:28am
This guy has it all. https://www.youtube.com/user/CurseCS

R3TROATTACK
23 Sep 2014, 12:17pm
All you need to do is burst fire and play dm a lot

Malibu
23 Sep 2014, 12:22pm
When I started I was pretty much on potatoes level and got ranked in gold nova 2.
Been playing a couple of times with Pan, followed the pro players on twitch, watched a couple of teams and so on (still doing) and now im DMG.
Streams, DM and competitive all the way.

Edit: I'm still learning, after 200 hours I'm still not that good, but it's okay..I guess.

Prez
23 Sep 2014, 03:53pm
When I started I was pretty much on potatoes level

:bird:

Jazzyy
23 Sep 2014, 07:26pm
There's such a wide variety of concepts in CS that require you to have in depth knowledge.

Maps:
Angles
-Where am I going to shoot someone from when defending? What angles are good for my team's layout? For instance, if I'm solo holding B on Mirage, where do I stand?
Smoke spots
-There are usually 6-8 "normal" angles from which a player can play on A sites. Which angles can I smoke out with a grenade? Smoking spots reducing the chance of dying when entering a site
Flash spots
-Now that I know the angles, and now that I know which angles are going to be smoked, which angles do I need to flash? How do I flash them?
Plant spots
-If my teammate calls out "default plant" where is default? Where do I need to prefire to stop a defuse?
Player sets/layouts
-What do I want my team to play on T this round? Default, do we want to fast cat? Do we want to B rush? Who flashes what? Who smokes what?
Callouts
-Self explainatory. There are hundreds of overview images that have callouts.

Callouts can be found in google images. Smoke spots are easy to learn from googling youtube videos or going to operationl2p. Flash spots, imo, easiest to learn when watching pros play actual matches or just streaming. Angles are just from playing the maps

Guns:
Spray control
-Figure out where to pull your mouse at each specific bullet. Remember the first 2 AK47 bullets are almost exactly ontop of each other, then the third jumps. Then the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth all follow that pattern. Then you need to pull your mouse to the left, then to the right, then back left again. Also remember EVEN PISTOLS HAVE SPRAY PATTERNS!
Tap shooting
-How many bullets do I tap with each gun? Which guns are better to tap with? The AK47, the M4A4/A1, the CZ75, the Fiveseven, and the UMP-45 are great examples of common guns you are expected to tap with
What gun can kill me at one distance?
-Fun fact, if you dink (shoot someone in the head when they have a helmet) with an M4 they won't die, even if you're right next to them! But if you have almost any pistol, it will ALWAYS be an instakill if at the right distance with the right pistol! (Every pistol except the starter pistols can do this!). That means if you know they're ecoing and you have head armor, where should you play? Playing up close is a huge risk, obviously.

http://twowordbird.com/articles/csgo-recoil-mechanics/
Shows you how spray patterns work on each gun. Must have to learn. Going into a practice server and enabling sv_cheats 1 and sv_showimpacts 1 allows you to see directly where your bullets are going. Helps to critique yourself quickly and figure out what you're doing wrong

Economy:
When do I buy?
When do I save?
When are THEY buying?
When are THEY saving?

These are simple questions with very easy answers but it requires you to TRACK economy. Did they get the bomb down round 1 or 2 but still lose the round? Chances are they can almost full buy Round 3.

KNOW THE PRICE OF GUNS. KNOW WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN'T BUY.

Surprise- even if you have $3700 that doesn't mean that AK47 + Head Armor is the best solution. How can you play T Side without nades? Consider not buying head armor and instead getting a vest with some flashes. Or a Galil + Head Armor.

But Jazzy, no head armor vs CTs?! Yes. Sometimes if you're down in the economy YOU NEED TO SIMPLY BUY ARMOR. Does that mean they will one tap you? Yes. Does that mean you shouldn't take the risk? No. Counter-Strike is a game of risk and chance. It's about playing your odds and hoping it works out. Pro players play these risk non stop. Glass cannon awping, no head armor vs a 5 man m4a1 team, sometimes even force buying when the team least expects it.

Smokes let you take sites, flashes let you surprise enemies, and nades let you kill "tucked in" players. Nades win games, don't neglect them. Learn the spots, learn how to flash/smoke/nade those spots and win game.

Easiest way to learn the economy is by simply viewing this article http://team-dignitas.net/articles/blogs/CSGO/5739/A-guide-to-understanding-the-CSGO-economy-and-moneymaking and this image: http://csgolikeapro.com/images/3/3e/Economy.jpeg

Settings:
Remember to make settings according to what you do best in.

My tips are this: Play at 4:3 resolution stretched, the player models become bigger at the cost of field of view which allow you to hit targets easier. Have a small crosshair with a slight outline. Run your mouse at 400 DPI with 500mhz/1000mhz interpolling. Set your in-game sensitivity to somewhere over 3.0. Have a big mousepad and learn to move your hand.

DMing is useless if you don't know the basics of play. Shooting is literally 1/5th of this game, and it won't carry you anywhere. What carries players is their excellent game sense, crosshair placement/aim/spray control, smoke/flash spots, map knowledge, and teamwork.

If you're more interested in learning I can give you my practice.cfg to load up a lan server to practice certain things. There are a couple maps that can help you learn spray downs as well on the workshop. I use http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=241148414, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243702660, and default LAN maps to practice.

Here are my buy binds (YOU NEED TO HAVE BUY BINDS)

//buy binds
bind kp_del "buy vesthelm"
bind kp_ins "buy vest"
bind kp_end "buy hegrenade"
bind kp_downarrow "buy flashbang"
bind kp_pgdn "buy smokegrenade"
bind kp_leftarrow "buy p250"
bind kp_5 "buy deagle"
bind kp_rightarrow "buy fiveseven;buy tec9"
bind kp_home "buy famas; buy galilar"
bind kp_uparrow "buy ak47; buy m4a1; buy m4a1_silencer"
bind kp_enter "buy awp"

Rates needed to play on CEVO/ESEA/FaceIT/Leetway. They get downscaled back when playing on Valve MM

rate 128000
cl_updaterate 128
cl_cmdrate 128
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_interp 0

What I use when practicing spray patterns, tap shooting, throwing nades, and map knowledge

hostname Jazzy's Practice Lobby
bot_autodifficulty_threshold_high 0.0 // Value between -20.0 and 20.0 (Amount above avg human contribution score, above which a bot should lower its difficulty)
bot_autodifficulty_threshold_low -2.0 // Value between -20.0 and 20.0 (Amount below avg human contribution score, below which a bot should raise its difficulty)
bot_chatter off
bot_defer_to_human_goals 1
bot_defer_to_human_items 1
bot_difficulty 1
bot_quota 10
bot_quota_mode fill
cash_player_bomb_defused 16000
cash_player_bomb_planted 16000
cash_player_damage_hostage -30
cash_player_interact_with_hostage 16000
cash_player_killed_enemy_default 16000
cash_player_killed_enemy_factor 1
cash_player_killed_hostage -1000
cash_player_killed_teammate -3300
cash_player_rescued_hostage 16000
cash_team_elimination_bomb_map 16000
cash_team_elimination_hostage_map_t 3000
cash_team_elimination_hostage_map_ct 3000
cash_team_hostage_alive 0
cash_team_hostage_interaction 600
cash_team_loser_bonus 1400
cash_team_loser_bonus_consecutive_rounds 500
cash_team_planted_bomb_but_defused 800
cash_team_rescued_hostage 600
cash_team_terrorist_win_bomb 16000
cash_team_win_by_defusing_bomb 16000
cash_team_win_by_hostage_rescue 16000
cash_team_win_by_time_running_out_hostage 16000
cash_team_win_by_time_running_out_bomb 16000
ff_damage_reduction_bullets 0.33
ff_damage_reduction_grenade 0.85
ff_damage_reduction_grenade_self 1
ff_damage_reduction_other 0.4
mp_afterroundmoney 0
mp_buytime 10000
mp_buy_anywhere 1
mp_buy_during_immunity 0
mp_death_drop_defuser 1
mp_death_drop_grenade 2 // 0=none, 1=best, 2=current or best
mp_death_drop_gun 1 // 0=none, 1=best, 2=current or best
mp_defuser_allocation 0
mp_force_pick_time 15
mp_forcecamera 1 // Set to 1 for team only spectating.
mp_free_armor 0
mp_freezetime 7
mp_friendlyfire 1
mp_win_panel_display_time 3
mp_ggprogressive_round_restart_delay 15
mp_ggtr_bomb_defuse_bonus 1
mp_ggtr_bomb_detonation_bonus 1
mp_ggtr_bomb_pts_for_flash 4
mp_ggtr_bomb_pts_for_he 3
mp_ggtr_bomb_pts_for_molotov 5
mp_ggtr_bomb_pts_for_upgrade 2
mp_ggtr_bomb_respawn_delay 0
mp_ggtr_end_round_kill_bonus 1
mp_ggtr_halftime_delay 0.0
mp_ggtr_last_weapon_kill_ends_half 0
mp_respawn_immunitytime 0
mp_autoteambalance 0
mp_halftime 1
mp_match_can_clinch 1 // 0=No mercy rule, 1=team can clinch match win early if they win > 1/2 total rounds
mp_maxmoney 16000
mp_maxrounds 30
mp_molotovusedelay 0
mp_playercashawards 1
mp_roundtime 60
mp_roundtime_hostage 60
mp_roundtime_defuse 60
mp_solid_teammates 1
mp_startmoney 16000
mp_teamcashawards 1
mp_timelimit 0
mp_warmuptime 5
mp_warmup_end 1
mp_weapons_allow_zeus 1
spec_freeze_panel_extended_time 0
spec_freeze_time 2.5
sv_allow_votes 1 // Voting allowed in this mode
sv_alltalk 1
sv_arms_race_vote_to_restart_disallowed_after 0
sv_deadtalk 1
sv_ignoregrenaderadio 0
tv_delay 105
mp_warmup_pausetimer 0
mp_halftime_pausetimer 0
mp_randomspawn 0
mp_randomspawn_los 0
sv_infinite_ammo 1
ammo_grenade_limit_flashbang 2
ammo_grenade_limit_total 10
//
mp_weapons_allow_map_placed 1
mp_weapons_glow_on_ground 0
mp_display_kill_assists 1
mp_respawn_on_death_t 0
mp_respawn_on_death_ct 0
mp_ct_default_melee weapon_knife
mp_ct_default_secondary weapon_hkp2000
mp_ct_default_primary weapon_m4a1_silencer
mp_t_default_melee weapon_knife
mp_t_default_secondary weapon_glock
mp_t_default_primary weapon_ak47
mp_default_team_winner_no_objective -1 // 2 == CTs, 3 == Ts

sv_cheats 1
sv_grenade_trajectory 1
sv_showimpacts 1
sv_lan 0

rcon_password passw0rd11
sv_consistency 0
bot_stop 1
mp_restartgame 1
echo loaded practice junk
sv_infinite_ammo 2

For shooting people that are bots
http://csgo.gamebanana.com/maps/167856

and run this exec:

sv_cheats 1
mp_autoteambalance 0
mp_limitteams 0
mp_roundtime 9
bot_add_ct
bot_add_ct
bot_add_ct
bot_add_ct
bot_add_ct
bot_add_ct
bot_add_ct
bot_add_ct
bot_add_ct
bot_add_ct
bot_dont_shoot 1
god
bot_difficulty 3
mp_spawnprotectiontime 0
mp_respawn_immunitytime 0
mp_maxrounds 100
sv_infinite_ammo 1
mp_respawn_on_death_ct 1

To run these execs, go to \SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\cfg and save them as whatevernameyouwant.cfg and go to console and type exec whatevernameyouwant.cfg once you're in the map.

To run the map do this in console: map aim_redline or like map aim_botz or map de_inferno

Useful commands I have:
bind "F11" "mat_setvideomode 1280 960 0" //switches to 1280x960 fullscreen stretched
bind "F10" "mat_setvideomode 1920 1080 1" //switches to my native with window noborder
My crosshair settings:

cl_color "4"
cl_crosshair_drawoutline "1"
cl_crosshair_dynamic_maxdist_splitratio "1"
cl_crosshair_dynamic_splitalpha_innermod "1.000000"
cl_crosshair_dynamic_splitalpha_outermod "1.000000"
cl_crosshair_dynamic_splitdist "1"
cl_crosshair_outlinethickness "1"
cl_crosshairalpha "255"
cl_crosshaircolor "4"
cl_crosshaircolor_b "250"
cl_crosshaircolor_g "250"
cl_crosshaircolor_r "50"
cl_crosshairdot "0"
cl_crosshairgap "0"
cl_crosshairgap_useweaponvalue "0"
cl_crosshairscale "0"
cl_crosshairsize "2"
cl_crosshairstyle "6"
cl_crosshairthickness "0.5"
cl_crosshairusealpha "1"
cl_fixedcrosshairgap "-1"

Useful launch commands I use:
-tickrate 128
Sets my LAN server I launch at 128 tick rate. Don't do this if you have a shit computer because the bots will lag and your shoots won't reg correctly
-noborder
-sw
Starts windowed noborder
-console
Opens console
-novid
Stops that dumb launch video
-w 1920 -h 1080
I start with my native and use the keybind to switch to 4:3 as I spectate games/play surf/etc on native but I play competitive on 4:3

Watching adren's videos on youtube (that was linked earlier) is a great resource. I also ask that you watch him stream as well. He does all of this stuff for free and watching his games is a great learning tool as he's vocal when scrimming with his team: http://www.twitch.tv/adren_tv I'm a huge fan and also a sub so I greatly appreciate giving him the views as he's thinking abuot becoming a full time streamer and I would love it. So if you like him, sub, like, follow, etc.

Now that that is done. You should consider linking some of your matches and and letting us watch demos so we can better help you. Demo review is a great way to learn your thought process and correct mistakes.

harro
23 Sep 2014, 08:10pm
tldr: im jazzy and im a big fat nerd

Zaraki
23 Sep 2014, 10:04pm
tldr: im jazzy and im a big fat nerd

I even hate myself for playing a videogame 2 hours in a row.. But this is another level

Sulliman
24 Sep 2014, 06:51am
Holy shit man, I gotta thank you for all this info. Even if it takes a while this is gonna be extremely helpful to me. I really appreciate the resources man.

Jazzyy
24 Sep 2014, 03:00pm
Holy shit man, I gotta thank you for all this info. Even if it takes a while this is gonna be extremely helpful to me. I really appreciate the resources man.

No problem. Like I said if you have some recent matches that you felt you played poorly you should send us the match link so we can review the demo. There are a couple players that actually have much better aim/game sense than me that can help (I only started playing CSGO 4-5 months ago but have been playing on/off for the last decade).

Just remember to keep consistent mouse/monitor settings. You're eventually going to gain muscle memory for spraying and if you change those settings you will definitely ruin that and your hand will have to relearn the mouse pulls for spraying.

I'd say the most important thing for you since you're probably pugging is learning to aim but if you queue up with friends consider strategies you can do to take sites. It's sooooo easy to climb if you queue up with people who know what they're doing (mai boi gamefreak), but if your friends are just mad baiters who only know how to shoot you won't go far with them.

Sorry to shove more info down your throat but I think it's best to digest concepts first. Remember though to have fun.. That's probably the hardest concept for me sometimes :P

BlackEagle
24 Sep 2014, 05:27pm
I understand the usage of the 4:3 stretched but don't you lose visibility on the sides with the 4:3 compared to running a wide screen? Or is that not worth it anyway? I recently changed my resolution and I think it helped tremendously but I was considering the stretched but I wanted to get some thoughts on that.

Jazzyy
24 Sep 2014, 07:54pm
I understand the usage of the 4:3 stretched but don't you lose visibility on the sides with the 4:3 compared to running a wide screen? Or is that not worth it anyway? I recently changed my resolution and I think it helped tremendously but I was considering the stretched but I wanted to get some thoughts on that.

Yup. You lose field of view (aka you lose peripheral vision). But at the same time you actually will see people peek you quicker because the models are "fatter." It also makes it easier to aim at people since their heads are therefore bigger.

Obviously it's preference however, if you think the peripheral is more important than bigger models, then go for it. There have been times where even the ~pros~ have died because they don't use widescreen, however, it's hard to quantify which is truly better. How many kills have you might've not got had the screen been widescreen instead? We really can't measure it that easily but we know there's an inherent difference.

I should point out it's completely up to you. Remember that things like resolution, crosshair settings, and mouse sensitivity are fit for each individual person. I posted to use 4:3 because that's what I use and I endorse it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XS8gOiaUDapwy0N5XoW9fp61DpJ_hLCOx789NVUFvdU/edit#gid=0

A good doc about what the pros use for stuff like this (remember they follow sponsorships so hardware might be a bit different). Some pros play at 4:3 because that's what they have always done, some are new (swag) and use 1920x1080.

The biggest suggestion though is if it's working, don't change it. Switching things like this will totally fuck you up.

Game Freak
25 Sep 2014, 01:25pm
Jazzy has given you alot of information to work on. And you should try to work on this slowly but i want to add that until LE strats do not matter, you won't even use them in LE. what gets you there is aim, And if you don't have it you won't compete.

What sets LE+ apart is their gamesense and strats. I'm not saying you shouldn't learn these things because they will become valuable. But learning gamesense against lesser opponents doesn't work because they don't play well. Up til DMG you take sites in a few easy steps.

1) you do a preemtive smoke/molo if necessary
2) you throw a popflash( flash will do in low elo)
3) you enter site by checking every corner in a logical order

ex. B inferno.
1) smoke ct spawn, optional molo newbox/smoke coils (need team)
2) throw flash over
3) check gayspot->coils->upclose->dark->newbox->2ndbox->oranges

Nuke Ramp
1) smoke hs box
2) flash
3)check above box-> beside box -> turnpike -> close

If you can take a site without losses, it's generally a won round.

Elemental
25 Sep 2014, 01:35pm
Jazzy has given you alot of information to work on. And you should try to work on this slowly but i want to add that until LE strats do not matter, you won't even use them in LE. what gets you there is aim, And if you don't have it you won't compete.

What sets LE+ apart is their gamesense and strats. I'm not saying you shouldn't learn these things because they will become valuable. But learning gamesense against lesser opponents doesn't work because they don't play well. Up til DMG you take sites in a few easy steps.

ex. B inferno.
2) throw flash over

Nuke Ramp
1) smoke hs box
2) flash

I did not understand 75% of this

Game Freak
25 Sep 2014, 01:58pm
I did not understand 75% of this

I'm going to presume the written part is understandable but the examples aren't since they use alot of locations. I'll maybe go record a video to show what i mean by taking a site in this way.

Elemental
25 Sep 2014, 02:39pm
I'm going to presume the written part is understandable but the examples aren't since they use alot of locations. I'll maybe go record a video to show what i mean by taking a site in this way.

Yeah, the locations and acronyms. I'd definitely watch that video, if you decide to make it.
Because I too, suck ass at CS:GO

Game Freak
25 Sep 2014, 03:00pm
I quickly threw something together and it's uploading, i'll post tomorrow before or after from uni depending if i can get out of bed.

Game Freak
26 Sep 2014, 05:18pm
Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSxqdqU8BdI

harro
27 Sep 2014, 03:15am

ex. B inferno.
2) throw flash over

Nuke Ramp
1) smoke hs box
2) flash

Can attest to this. Went from MG to DMG in about ~50hrs game time just by improving my aim and the way I check spots. Still don't know how to smoke Mirage spots.