PDA

View Full Version : A simple request

BoM
21 Aug 2014, 10:50pm
As expected, the Minecraft population has died off, but I still see a lot of support.

By support I mean money to pay for it as well as people saying they love MC and don't wanna see it die. Me and Silent love that you guys are willing to provide this kind of support, but unfortunately that is only half the situation.

A goal of any good server is to get people in, especially new people that have never seen this community before and have nothing better to do than join up. Now don't get me wrong, we do have SOME people and I do hear of a few SG people playing in there.

That being said, in the course of a few months we've changed the server around a few times, tried a few things, and now it has almost everything that a "popular" server has. On top of that, me and silent [mostly silent as of late] have figured out how to put on every sort of plugin that these popular servers use.

So here is my request: How can me and silent make the server something that you would be willing to play on for 1-2 hours 3-4 times a week. That's honestly all it takes, a group of people playing a few hours here and there, adding up to people on the server 7 days a week at different times of day. Once you get this sort of steady population, randoms will roll in and then its all uphill from there.

If i need to make a "populating group" I will do that, if I need to change a few things on the server I can do that.

Honestly when we had the creative server we seemed to have the most people, I'm just not sure if that will last.

One thing I will not do is make it Tekkit/FTB unless I had some astronomical amount of support. It would take me a solid 1-2 weeks to set up properly and code the shitty plugins that do not come properly set up. I've made these servers 3-4 times, and basically refuse to waste my time setting it up just to see people stop playing a month later. + probably a more expensive server.

So I'd basically just like to hear your thoughts [people who actually play MC and would play our servers]. Thanks for reading :D

MrNoLifer
22 Aug 2014, 05:32am
I love MC and I am going to spend lot of hours on this server dude.

Prez
24 Aug 2014, 07:51pm
I've been on a couple of times this week to start rebuilding my faction home, and i've been trying to think of ways to make the server inviting for people. Honestly it's pretty difficult to come up with ideas since we've tried a lot of things and they only work for a little while. Here are some things that I personally think could make it more inviting to keep people on:

1) Don't have a huge map

The map we have on right now is very well-done and awesome looking, but I feel like it's a bit limiting in terms of keeping people on. You have a couple of people in each faction (taking into account the population we had at the start) building a base, and then taking a far trek to find the other bases. Because it's a longer task I feel like people might get a bit disinterested of taking the time to travel. I think that having a smaller map with closer proximity between bases might be better as it invites more action between factions/players. I mean, if we had a great population base I wouldn't have a problem with keeping the same map and setup, but maybe by downsizing the map it could help a bit.

2) Monthly mod events?

An idea to have little jolts of activity, we could test adding a fun mod for a night or something a month to give people a fun little time for dicking around. For example, we could try adding a planes or dragon mod and congregate in TS3 for a night of shits and giggles, that could tie in to the server event that floffy did (across multiple).

I'll edit my post as I think of more!

MrNoLifer
24 Aug 2014, 08:16pm
You guys don't know me a lot but I can help with the mincraft server. I was before 1 year and owner in one server, and I think I can help to do this server active.

Elemental
25 Aug 2014, 09:12am
Kinda like what Prez said, also, i simply hate PvP in minecraft. I played for a while, built a cool base, and when I logged on the next day, half my base was destroyed and all my stuff was gone, resulting in me quitting.

So maybe, a pvp-free realm and a pvp-realm or something ?

Fartingo
25 Aug 2014, 01:10pm
Considering the fiscal chip-ins, I'm pretty invested in the longevity of the server. I plan on playing more often the second the semester starts. My summer mariner job has eaten a good 75-80 hours a week, hence my absence.

Itch
25 Aug 2014, 01:41pm
TBH the only time I ever spent more than a few hours playing MC was on the creative server. Haven't touched much else and probably would only spend time on a creative server, but that's just me.

SilentGuns
26 Aug 2014, 09:21am
So...

1) PvP with the same map but limit it to one island until we get more pop. Maybe some random mod events and prez suggested( must keep in mind that these will heavily depend on the availability of the staff)

2) No PvP, survival with factions or towny. We could also possibly have events where we just get together and build a town ( kind of like Skylar, for those who remember that town ).

3) We go back to a creative server (All we really have to do with this is add the plotme plugin back to the server and rework the donations perks again)

Gator
26 Aug 2014, 09:38am
An idea to have little jolts of activity, we could test adding a fun mod for a night or something a month to give people a fun little time for dicking around. For example, we could try adding a planes or dragon mod and congregate in TS3 for a night of shits and giggles, that could tie in to the server event that floffy did (across multiple).

The problem I see with this is that if a mod requires new blocks, it can create errors when the mod is removed. Last time I did work for minecraft servers (1 or 2 years ago), if you added a mod that used new blocks, when you removed the mod, you pretty much had to do a entire server wipe because either it would glitch or give you errors out the ass. I would be down for this idea if it is possible to add and remove new block mods without problem.

Prez
26 Aug 2014, 09:47am
So...

1) PvP with the same map but limit it to one island until we get more pop. Maybe some random mod events and prez suggested( must keep in mind that these will heavily depend on the availability of the staff)

2) No PvP survival with factions or towny. We could also possibly have events where we just get together and build a town ( kind of like Skylar, for those who remember that town ).

3) We go back to a creative server (All we really have to do with this is add the plotme plugin back to the server and rework the donations perks again)

These are all great ideas - personally I think doing #2 would be the best way to go since it allows people to build lots without the fear of being killed, and having cool events to build could invite a lot of new faces in. Creative is always a fun thing to do too since people are drawn to building straight away rather than taking the time to gather materials.

The problem I see with this is that if a mod requires new blocks, it can create errors when the mod is removed. Last time I did work for minecraft servers (1 or 2 years ago), if you added a mod that used new blocks, when you removed the mod, you pretty much had to do a entire server wipe because either it would glitch or give you errors out the ass. I would be down for this idea if it is possible to add and remove new block mods without problem.

Ah that makes sense, didnt think of that. It would still be cool to try mods that aren't too difficult to implement/remove and that won't mess up the server

Elemental
26 Aug 2014, 09:50am
So...

2) No PvP survival with factions or towny. We could also possibly have events where we just get together and build a town ( kind of like Skylar, for those who remember that town ).

Yeah, these seem like some good ideas, only I wouldnt like creative only. I like to gather the blocks I wanna use tbh

jeN
26 Aug 2014, 03:33pm
I'm still going with what I wanted originally, factions and no pvp. I don't know why but I love factions or at least being able to set an area as yours + whoever you invite and build there. I hate PVP but maybe a pvp arena if we don't have pvp enabled for those who do enjoy pvp, or if we can set a separate world for PVP, that'd be pretty awesome.

R3TROATTACK
26 Aug 2014, 04:06pm
So...

2) No PvP, survival with factions or towny. We could also possibly have events where we just get together and build a town ( kind of like Skylar, for those who remember that town ).

I like 2 and 3 a lot not 1 so much.

if we did do 2 i say we should try towny like u suggested over factions.

Elemental
26 Aug 2014, 04:11pm
I'm still going with what I wanted originally, factions and no pvp. I don't know why but I love factions or at least being able to set an area as yours + whoever you invite and build there. I hate PVP but maybe a pvp arena if we don't have pvp enabled for those who do enjoy pvp, or if we can set a separate world for PVP, that'd be pretty awesome.

There's plenty of other systems besides Factions that can let you claim pieces of land, depending on playtime or whatever.
Don't necesarily need factions for it

BoM
26 Aug 2014, 04:20pm
But factions is the best...

jeN
26 Aug 2014, 06:15pm
There's plenty of other systems besides Factions that can let you claim pieces of land, depending on playtime or whatever.
Don't necesarily need factions for it

=[ I've only played factions, I rarely play MC! Just local servers, or the SG ones..

Elemental
26 Aug 2014, 06:24pm
=[ I've only played factions, I rarely play MC! Just local servers, or the SG ones..

Played a server with this plugin, for instance. Works great, u can make claims, resize claims, claim additional areas etc.
http://www.curse.com/bukkit-plugins/minecraft/grief-prevention#t1:description

watch the vid for a good description

BoM
26 Aug 2014, 06:39pm
Played a server with this plugin, for instance. Works great, u can make claims, resize claims, claim additional areas etc.
http://www.curse.com/bukkit-plugins/minecraft/grief-prevention#t1:description

watch the vid for a good description

While i love the enthusiasm and innovation with plugins....there's no point. We already have factions, everyone knows and loves factions, + I know it inside and out in terms of settings and coding. Plus factions is a "big name" plugin that people look for when joining servers, so that's just another reason I wouldn't replace it.

BoM
26 Aug 2014, 06:42pm
Isn't faction only for PvP tho?
Would it, for instance, work in the desired way in a non-pvp realm/world ? (desired way being able to claim land/blocks so u wont be griefed)
if so, then forget what I said =p

Yes

Elemental
26 Aug 2014, 06:43pm
While i love the enthusiasm and innovation with plugins....there's no point. We already have factions, everyone knows and loves factions, + I know it inside and out in terms of settings and coding. Plus factions is a "big name" plugin that people look for when joining servers, so that's just another reason I wouldn't replace it.

Isn't faction only for PvP tho?
Would it, for instance, work in the desired way in a non-pvp realm/world ? (desired way being able to claim land/blocks so u wont be griefed)

BoM
26 Aug 2014, 06:44pm

Yes

SilentGuns
28 Aug 2014, 08:26am
So... a survival and a creative world?

R3TROATTACK
28 Aug 2014, 09:28am

I would play :)

BoM
28 Aug 2014, 09:43am

Both non PvP if I read correctly

SilentGuns
28 Aug 2014, 09:44am
Both non PvP if I read correctly

yes.

Itch
28 Aug 2014, 10:52am

Sounds good to me.

Elemental
28 Aug 2014, 11:49am
Would definitely play more if we had this, yes :D

ExRev
28 Aug 2014, 01:08pm

^ THIS. ALL OF THIS.

Also, Hunger Games.

And creative. I was actually building something and now it's gone forever. D:

Tsuna
28 Aug 2014, 01:17pm
^ THIS. ALL OF THIS.

Also, Hunger Games.

Yesss please hunger games

mapper
28 Aug 2014, 02:41pm
I've come online every day lately on minecraft, but I rarely ever see someone. It's fun for a while to build everything, but in the end you'll miss the pvp D:

BoM
28 Aug 2014, 06:17pm
^ THIS. ALL OF THIS.

Also, Hunger Games.

False. I have it. :D

SilentGuns
30 Aug 2014, 05:31pm
I will set it up once I get access to the server files again.

Edit: it it isn't fixed by the the 3rd then I will attempt to do whatever changes I can from ingame.