PDA

View Full Version : The easy ways to get unbanned!

Modgers1
6 Jun 2008, 11:22pm
Meh, I don't know if someone else has ever posted something like this, but I figured I would to help people out in getting unbanned.

1. Use Haggard's Guidelines (http://www.zombiemurder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4708) when deciding to appeal. You'll be laughed at and most likely not unbanned for posting something like this:

I was banished because my name is in French, and all thaht is because player Taylor. Can you unban me plz thank you

That doesn't include any of the criteria set by these guidelines. Do us all a favor, and start off your thread with this information. It makes our lives easier.

2. Be Polite!!! Don't create a thread ranting to us about how you were banned, and didn't deserve it, and how it's YOUR right to play on our servers. It's not. We can choose to lift your ban, or let it sit there. Either way, we'll still have traffic. Even if it's an accidental ban, just be friendly, and you'll be unbanned in no time. :biggrin:

3. To reiterate what is said on the Guidlines Page, (http://www.zombiemurder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4708) don't tell us that you let your little brother, sister, or any other person play, even if it's true. We don't care. YOU are responsible for your account, so let your little brother know of our rules before you let him play.

I had more for this, but I can't remember them now. I just wanted to put out how I feel about the appeal process. Thank you.

-Modgers

Psyche
8 Jun 2008, 06:06pm
In other words use commnon sense.

Lux
8 Jun 2008, 06:59pm
*wall of text :scared:*

2. Be Polite!!! Don't create a thread ranting to us about how you were banned, and didn't deserve it, and how it's YOUR right to play on our servers. It's not. We can choose to lift your ban, or let it sit there. Either way, we'll still have traffic. Even if it's an accidental ban, just be friendly, and you'll be unbanned in no time. :biggrin:

Whilst that is what some admins think, is that completely fair???

Obviously players shouldn't be flaming but if you feel you were banned unfairly then you have the right to argue that case, you should be heard out and despite any things such as grammar or previous bans you shouldn't be instantly slapped with the "liar noob" badge and left to serve a ban which if the admins looked into could of been unfair or even an accident.

Obviously the sad case is that most people do lie about what happened, but you can't just assume that people are lieing, if the admin can actually back up his ban with someone other than "hes lieing believe" then ok but otherwise it is a 50/50 arguement.

Also not all people are satisfied with being unbanned and don't do it again or just serving out their ban. If you didn't do anything wrong, why would you be happy with the admin saying "you are unbanned don't do it again this is your first strike" or "make sure you don't it again this is your 1st strike of 3 so you would be wise to behave when your ban is over". I dunno maybe some people are happy but if you reject an appeal or don't even read or look into properly the appeals general "excuse" or that it was an accident then you leave the people with no say in their own appeal.

Also I think your comment on admins choosing a players fate on whether they want to unban them or not just because you will get many other players isn't the right attitude. If you want to be successful you don't say "Nevermind its only one guy". 1000 "guys" later you are quite a bit less inactive.

I guess when you say it is not a players right to play on the server you mean someone who is actually guilty???

It is a public server so anyone who isn't breaking rules should be allowed to play. If they don't do anything wrong, it is their right to play on the server, if they are actually guilty, and proved it then they lose their right.

So I guess I agree with this partly but being a peasant non admin I guess I see it from the helpless peoples side (people appealing). The only time where I have seen people be unbanned is when they say sorry, or if it is a mistake by an admin which he admits to. Otherwise if you say its an accident or you have some excuse which could be true but it isnt "acceptable" then you keep the ban, when I see the ban as a punishment for breaking rules when it is intentional, if it is an accident a punishment doesn't do anything other than bore the person, and you can't prevent accidents because it isn't intentional anyway.

Last thing is that if you want to accuse an admin of abuse then do it in a seperate thread in the admin complaints section. Maybe mention that you have created a seperate thread because it will obviously change the decision if you are deemed correct but otherwise complaining about admins in your appeal will just get you rejected, but I don't however think defending yourself and your intentions are wrong and shouldn't lead to rejection just for not making an apology which is 100% what an admin wants to see.

If someones brother teamkills it is a bit rash to blame this person. In my case me and my brother co-own the game, and I can't force him to do anything as it is as much my account as his, likewise he can't force me to do anything. In this case unless they have acceptable proof then it isn't much use to an admin, but just saying "ffs noob it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACCOUNT we don't care who made the offence" it isn't polite, it doesn't exactly help your "make a polite appeal" stance seem very good when an admin can't be polite back, and it would be more helpful to just say "sorry but due to many people using this excuse (not saying you are lieing) we can't accept this but due to making a clean apologetic appeal we will unban you" or something like that?

Zargotelc
8 Jun 2008, 08:32pm
In other words use commnon sense.

Exactly. And try to limit the use of emoticons. I often see appeals with tons of emoticons :crying: :angry:

:bored:

*Queen VenomousFate*
9 Jun 2008, 04:38pm
I Would Prefer That People Who I Banned Follow The Exact Opposite Of These Rules lol.
I Have Seen To Many People Plead For A Ban Removal Then When They Do, They Get banned Again The Next Day.

Modgers1
9 Jun 2008, 05:50pm
I Would Prefer That People Who I Banned Follow The Exact Opposite Of These Rules lol.
I Have Seen To Many People Plead For A Ban Removal Then When They Do, They Get banned Again The Next Day.
It's not our fault that they don't learn from their mistakes.

-Modgers

Prvtpwnage
9 Jun 2008, 07:22pm
Exactly. And try to limit the use of emoticons. I often see appeals with tons of emoticons :crying: :angry:

:bored:

:cursing::cursing::cursing::sneaky2::sneaky2::conf used1::confused1::001_tongue::001_tongue::ohmy::w0 0t::thumbup1::huh::001_cool::laugh::tongue_smilie: :thumbup::drool::001_wub::rlol::sleep::001_tt1::sa d:
Must mean im emo?:confused1:
No body calls me emo:cursing::cursing:
Darn u:cursing:
xD

LitKey
9 Jun 2008, 10:15pm
:cursing::cursing::cursing::sneaky2::sneaky2::conf used1::confused1::001_tongue::001_tongue::ohmy::w0 0t::thumbup1::huh::001_cool::laugh::tongue_smilie: :thumbup::drool::001_wub::rlol::sleep::001_tt1::sa d:
Must mean im emo?:confused1:
No body calls me emo:cursing::cursing:
Darn u:cursing:
xD

T_T

Emoticons are these, you :cursing:. :D

Modgers1
14 Jun 2008, 11:16pm
4. Don't call the admins names. This will only aggravate the higher-ranking administrators who are going to make the decision on whether or not you will be unbanned. Again, be polite! :biggrin:

-Modgers

Smallsasaurus
15 Jun 2008, 08:47pm
*wall of text :scared:*

This is in response to Luxz0rz, but I cut out most of his post as its really long. And a higher up person can correct me if I'm out of line/wrong here.

I think its perfectly fair for admins to expect to be treated politely and not be yelled at for doing an unpaid for job as best they can.

I know these are technically public servers, but at the same time, they aren't. Admin and Supporter Fees along with the occasional general member contribution pay the couple hundred dollars a month to keep these servers kicking. I think its awesome Haggard keeps everything open and free to people, but he doesn't have to and he could choose to make it private server right now if he wanted.

So with that said I believe it to be a privilege and not a right for people to play here, and if all admins expect when people ask to get unbanned is being polite and taking the time to write out a well thought out response, then I think that's very reasonable.

I personally agree with you that having the proper proof to be unbanned (especially if you don't believe you are doing anything wrong) is sometimes a tough burden, but I think the admins here are good about doing the right thing and usually when somebody is banned its for a good reason.

Also, its cool that you and your brother share accounts, but like the admins always say, you are still responsible for that account and if your brother actually does do something, its not a legit excuse in my book. I know he's his own person and will do his own things, but its both your jobs to handle that account properly and if he does screw up, then your account should be punished accordingly accordingly. I do agree its annoying, but the line in the sand has to be drawn somewhere, especially in a case like this where people are quick to use this excuse when offenses occur.

One final thought for all of this is people often get banned and panic for some reason or another and immediately feel the need to get back on the server they just lost. It's like when you get dumped by a girlfriend and all you want is your ex back for the next month or so. Most bans are just for a few days, so if you did do something wrong people should just relax, do their time, and come back and play the right way in a few days. If you don't think you did anything wrong, just keep a level head, state your case, make an admin complaint if you feel it was an abuse and wait to see what happens. Just remember there are always other servers out there.

Rat
16 Jun 2008, 02:42am
You've missed the most obvious (and most used):
Blame your little brother

Lux
16 Jun 2008, 03:33am
Small I can understand your view, it is a privilege to play on great servers like these but it is used against people thats not very fair either.

Also on the brother thing I know that you can't just accept it because I see it hundreds of times and even if they are all correct, you can't know so I guess it makes sure the bad guys don't get unbanned, with a few innocent guys taking the punishment too.

Also whilst most bans are for good reasons, there are some admins who have abused and whilst you would suspect them if they were complained about again, if they weren't complained against at all you wouldn't suspect them. That is a bit obvious but if you assume everything then you are bound to get it wrong. This is the same for people who are complaining about their 3rd ban, "the boy who cried wolf" comes to mind.

Finally....people panic because this is a great server community. I have been around and there aren't that many servers with the admin quality that is here. I was on this #1 ranked Dutch Zombie server and the admin banned me for saying "fuck you" when he was flashing/kniving me in a corner blocking me.

You wouldn't get that here most of the time, and that is why people value this server highly, obviously sometimes the fools who rack up multiple bans don't.

Astrum
16 Jun 2008, 04:06am
To add to Modger's list:

5. I know not everyone speaks English fluently, but try the best you can. Proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar can go a long ways when pleading your case in the appeals section. And as always be polite about it.