PDA

View Full Version : Perp?

Spyder
15 Jul 2014, 11:46pm
The title. Yes, it's a lot of work, I know.

Yes, it needs a huge player base and no we're not exactly a super cereal RP community.

Yes it would take a license otherwise Pulsar Effect would rape us for using their "copywritten gamemode" without paying for a license (which I believe somebody has.) Although I do have the files for it.

Yes it'd prob get DDoS'd and crashed lot because people are trolls and there's no way to stop it besides having a constant group of staff on the server to maintain it.

Yes depending on how many addons it has, it could take a shit load of time to DL but then again most RP players already have most of the addons used on Perp servers.

Finally yes I realize most versions of Perp are fucked up worse than Morbus (thank you Psyche for somewhat fixing it and making it work.) but maybe someone here is well versed in Lua?

Anyways, word on the street is a bunch of people would like to see Perp make a comeback here. I think it'd be kinda cool to have because of 1) if it's not a piece of shit it can get pretty populated (seen some with like 75/100 players) and 2) some of the newer addons I've seen on a couple other servers are pretty sweet (I.e a custom phone with several features like a built-in browser, custom keys that have our logo on them etc.) All the cars and extra bullshit though aren't absolutely necessary to have though. (IMO I don't think it's necessary to have 1TB of TDM/SCars/anyothercarpack on.)

Probably going to be turned down again, but what the hell, it's worth a shot especially if we got a BuildRP server.

BoM
16 Jul 2014, 12:25am
Maybe

Elemental
16 Jul 2014, 04:21am
Sarry, but... The hell is Perp? D:

Kratos
16 Jul 2014, 06:19am
PERP is a fun game mode, but, it takes a lot of resources. Not just server side but admins too. Plus, at times it is just a pain in the ass to watch everyone and play.

Minus
16 Jul 2014, 06:45am
A bit more detail for those who don't wanna look for it.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122558027

Overall, it seems interesting enough to me. Although I can't really say as I don't boot up GMod lately enough.

R3TROATTACK
16 Jul 2014, 07:01am
I would love to play on a perp sg server, and if we have the resources and other required stuff i would love to try one for sg.

LoneWolf
16 Jul 2014, 07:12am
We used to have one, It used to run great. Almost Full server all the time, at that time we had perp 3, while everyone else was stuck at 2.5. I say we can try it once more. But on the downside, build rp will be empty because perp>buildrp

Crazy Swede
16 Jul 2014, 07:45am
We used to have one, It just to run great.

Yes, but back then we had a SECOND dedi, entirely dedicated only for running PERP on it. Perp is a MASSIVELY resource consuming motherfucking gamemode. It's simply not anything you guys would be able to install on the current dedi, unless you want to cause a massive lag-fest for all of the remaining servers.

Although I do have the files for it...

Probably going to be turned down again, but what the hell, it's worth a shot especially if we got a BuildRP server.
I am not saying that I'm against perp. But since gmod13 was released, perp have been even more broken than before that. So besides the need of a new dedi, you have some SERIOUS repairing to do on the code. So if you guys will do this, I'd suggest you do this 100%, because perp is not something you want to give up on, due to the hefty amount of work it takes, and the resource-demands.

Tl;dr - Good luck, I support it, but I am not sure you guys realise what you would be getting in to.

Fishey
16 Jul 2014, 11:46am
yes pls

Zaraki
16 Jul 2014, 02:24pm
Yeah, i'd take it 1000 times over BuildRP

XeNo
16 Jul 2014, 02:29pm
The title. Yes, it's a lot of work, I know.

Yes, it needs a huge player base and no we're not exactly a super cereal RP community.

Yes it would take a license otherwise Pulsar Effect would rape us for using their "copywritten gamemode" without paying for a license (which I believe somebody has.) Although I do have the files for it.

Yes it'd prob get DDoS'd and crashed lot because people are trolls and there's no way to stop it besides having a constant group of staff on the server to maintain it.

Yes depending on how many addons it has, it could take a shit load of time to DL but then again most RP players already have most of the addons used on Perp servers.

Finally yes I realize most versions of Perp are fucked up worse than Morbus (thank you Psyche for somewhat fixing it and making it work.) but maybe someone here is well versed in Lua?

Anyways, word on the street is a bunch of people would like to see Perp make a comeback here. I think it'd be kinda cool to have because of 1) if it's not a piece of shit it can get pretty populated (seen some with like 75/100 players) and 2) some of the newer addons I've seen on a couple other servers are pretty sweet (I.e a custom phone with several features like a built-in browser, custom keys that have our logo on them etc.) All the cars and extra bullshit though aren't absolutely necessary to have though. (IMO I don't think it's necessary to have 1TB of TDM/SCars/anyothercarpack on.)

Raise the $100+ it costs for the license and then we'll talk about possibility of Perp coming back. Assuming the dedi can handle it, like Swede said.

If we don't pay the outrageous cost of the license, we get a hackjob knockoff that will crash and break without the possibility of repair unless someone codes the shit out of it.

Zaraki
16 Jul 2014, 02:37pm
Raise the $100+ it costs for the license and then we'll talk about possibility of Perp coming back. Assuming the dedi can handle it, like Swede said.

If we don't pay the outrageous cost of the license, we get a hackjob knockoff that will crash and break without the possibility of repair unless someone codes the shit out of it.

So, if we donate 100$ for perp.. it's a deal?

*Takes out creditcard*

XeNo
16 Jul 2014, 04:43pm
So, if we donate 100$ for perp.. it's a deal?

*Takes out creditcard*
Careful now, put that way. Apparently every time you make that promise, something terrible happens in your life that requires large sums of money to take care of.

DoubleSb
16 Jul 2014, 04:44pm
Careful now, put that way. Apparently every time you make that promise, something terrible happens in your life that requires large sums of money to take care of.

Or just nothing happens because there's nothing in the bank, because pimpin' is too hard.

also i like perp

Octa
16 Jul 2014, 05:40pm
Personally don't think we have the playerbase/funds/dedi for it, so I don't really think it's a possibility ATM

skitzophranic
16 Jul 2014, 11:43pm
that darkrp server we had was mad fun

Spyder
17 Jul 2014, 12:31am
Yes, but back then we had a SECOND dedi, entirely dedicated only for running PERP on it. Perp is a MASSIVELY resource consuming motherfucking gamemode. It's simply not anything you guys would be able to install on the current dedi, unless you want to cause a massive lag-fest for all of the remaining servers.

I am not saying that I'm against perp. But since gmod13 was released, perp have been even more broken than before that. So besides the need of a new dedi, you have some SERIOUS repairing to do on the code. So if you guys will do this, I'd suggest you do this 100%, because perp is not something you want to give up on, due to the hefty amount of work it takes, and the resource-demands.

Tl;dr - Good luck, I support it, but I am not sure you guys realise what you would be getting in to.

Lol I've played on shit communities where they have like 2 on one dedi and it crashes like every 30 minutes or gets DDoS'd because the people who run it are retards.

And i know most versions of Perp are fucked up beyond belief, an actual quality version is gonna be super expensive and even then still might be a bit broken. But yes if this was going to happen, it would most likely take a 2nd dedi because of how much juice it's gonna take to run.

Personally don't think we have the playerbase/funds/dedi for it, so I don't really think it's a possibility ATM

Not much of a player base is needed as, depending on how big the server is, it could populate itself. All it would need is a constant group of staff members on to watch over it and a group of regs to play/help the staff.

But yeah, right now the chance of having one is very slim, as nobody owns a license for Perp, we don't know if the dedi is strong enough to support Perp and most copies of Perp are fucked up beyond belief and would take serious optimization to be able to run let alone played. If we bought a license and found an outstanding version of Perp then we could see if it would run, but even then if XeNo and Swede both doubt that the dedi can handle it it would either take a 2nd dedi or an extremely small amount of slots.

I heard a rumor that a community member has a license, but I don't know if that's true. It may be expired (if they do expire).

But depending on how many slots there will be on it, I don't know if the dedi will be able to handle it. Evidently you and Swede think so too. But I also don't think a 2nd dedicated server is worth it for just one game mode unless there would be plans to put more servers on it.

I have a starter kit and something else for perp, I don't know if it is the Pulsar Effect version or a knockoff sadly, but if anyone with Lua knowledge would like to take a look at it I'll send them the file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elemental
17 Jul 2014, 05:04am
Chcekd that link out a bit and it seems fun, but can you build in it, like we can on BuildRP ?

Tsuna
17 Jul 2014, 08:30am
Definitely support the idea, if we can make it that'd be great, does anyone know how much is the license exactly?

Sleggie
17 Jul 2014, 10:49am
Chcekd that link out a bit and it seems fun, but can you build in it, like we can on BuildRP ?

No.

Still a fun game mode (if you're a cop :)) But I still prefer SAMP. That stuff is super realisic, serious and it takes literally 15 seconds to get on any server unlike perp which if you include all the custom cars and stuff, despite being on the workshop takes years to dl.

DoubleSb
17 Jul 2014, 11:06am
that darkrp server we had was mad fun

it was till like a group ruined it

Tweezy
17 Jul 2014, 12:28pm
If this was going to happen then I could help with the programming side of things. I already know quite a few languages (C++, C# to name a few) so the syntax of LUA will be easy to pick up.

Sleggie
17 Jul 2014, 12:29pm
If this was going to happen then I could help with the programming side of things. I already know quite a few languages (C++, C# to name a few) so the syntax of LUA will be easy to pick up.

Ye I can help out too.

Spyder
17 Jul 2014, 12:56pm

Ye I can help out too.

Do you guys wanna take a look at the starter kit I have? I'm not very disciplined in Lua so I have no idea what's going to break or not. Sleggie just message me on Steam if you want it, Tweezy just find me on steam or PM me here.

Definitely support the idea, if we can make it that'd be great, does anyone know how much is the license exactly?

Honestly I don't know about the license. I've been searching around and haven't found a "purchasable license" besides shitty youtube videos advertising "PERP GAMEMODE FOR SALE WE SELL PERP" and threads on FacePunch saying there's no such thing just children DDoSing you and fake DMCA notices.

Lockon_Stratos
17 Jul 2014, 02:21pm
Used to play on Hellzone Perp. It was maintained such as: Minges / rulebreakers were dealt with immediately, Serious top notch roleplaying, but it did have a flaw like some idiot either crashed their car, glitched it and caused a server crash or someone ddos the server after being banned.

As for donating benefits I liked how it stated what kind of packages were there such as:
$5 package - Physicgun / 2k ingame money
$10 package - physicgun / 5k ingame money / bigger car selection to buy from
ect....

Zaraki
17 Jul 2014, 02:51pm

Is this person calling me a liar? :D

Lockon_Stratos
17 Jul 2014, 05:36pm

Nope, we all see you as that one Jew that promise us lot of money but you run away with it

Spyder
17 Jul 2014, 05:37pm
Nope, we all see you as that one Jew that promise us lot of money but you run away with it

Boom shots fired

Sleggie
17 Jul 2014, 06:13pm
Used to play on Hellzone Perp. It was maintained such as: Minges / rulebreakers were dealt with immediately, Serious top notch roleplaying, but it did have a flaw like some idiot either crashed their car, glitched it and caused a server crash or someone ddos the server after being banned.

As for donating benefits I liked how it stated what kind of packages were there such as:
$5 package - Physicgun / 2k ingame money
$10 package - physicgun / 5k ingame money / bigger car selection to buy from
ect....

I hate this concept. It should just be if you're a donator, you get all that.

and lmao stratos

DoubleSb
17 Jul 2014, 06:38pm

no it's calling you sketchy.

Lockon_Stratos
17 Jul 2014, 06:48pm
no it's calling you sketchy.

Let me rephrase that last one I said.

No, were calling you a jew that promised us hopes and dreams. But in the end you ran off with all the wealth we had.

Jake
17 Jul 2014, 08:00pm
Just curious what happened to our last perp server? I remember playing on it a few times and there was a ton of butt hurt people and rule breaking everywhere. It could be that i jumped on when the server was new and people were learning the rules and such.

Mudkip™
17 Jul 2014, 09:41pm
a ton of butt hurt people and rule breaking everywhere.

Sounds a lot like the rest of out Garry's mod servers.

Lockon_Stratos
17 Jul 2014, 10:05pm
Just curious what happened to our last perp server? I remember playing on it a few times and there was a ton of butt hurt people and rule breaking everywhere. It could be that i jumped on when the server was new and people were learning the rules and such.

If you go on the server I mentioned the community [Hellzone] doesn't tolerate any shit. Once they hear about a rule breaker they immediately go and solve the prob. If we do get the perp....SAs better not abuse, deal with any rulebreakers, and so on

Harpr33t
17 Jul 2014, 10:13pm
Don't we already have a perp licence from when we had our old server ? Also I recall constant ddos from another community who also has a perp server

Spyder
17 Jul 2014, 10:13pm
Sony we already have a perp licence from when we had our old server ? Also I recall constant ddos from another community who also has a perp server

Yeah, servers get DDoS'd a lot when it comes to Perp. Nothing you can really do besides have a whitelist on forums.

Lockon_Stratos
17 Jul 2014, 10:23pm
Yeah, servers get DDoS'd a lot when it comes to Perp. Nothing you can really do besides have a whitelist on forums.

I like that idea considering that would prevent minges or ddos-sers from doing shit we hate

Tweezy
18 Jul 2014, 01:57am
I like that idea considering that would prevent minges or ddos-sers from doing shit we hate

If we look at good companies wnho can give us good DDOS protection and a network monitor, then we can see who is trying to DDOS us and black list their IP if needed, though this won't block people who decide to tunnel their connection.

Crazy Swede
18 Jul 2014, 05:22am
If we look at good companies wnho can give us good DDOS protection and a network monitor, then we can see who is trying to DDOS us and black list their IP if needed, though this won't block people who decide to tunnel their connection.

Again, where would all of this money come from? :ranger:

Spyder
18 Jul 2014, 08:12am
Again, where would all of this money come from? :ranger:

Zaraki's limitless black AE card that is talked about 24/7

floffypus
18 Jul 2014, 08:25am
it was shut down, that was cus dedi wasnt paid by amit so it vanished. And the ddos was back in the days, but all the shitty communities are gone/dead and there is barely to none ddos left.

Paralyzed was the one who purchased the gamemode and with help from Chainedlord and spiral they worked day and night getting everything working before it was shut down.. it was chaotic and too many rulebreakers was also one of the reasons it was shut down and never reopened.

I doubt either of them would want to start on a new server, if so its something the AO's will have to struggle with cus i doubt para would give perp another go!

Zaraki
18 Jul 2014, 10:07am
it was shut down, that was cus dedi wasnt paid by amit so it vanished. And the ddos was back in the days, but all the shitty communities are gone/dead and there is barely to none ddos left.

Paralyzed was the one who purchased the gamemode and with help from Chainedlord and spiral they worked day and night getting everything working before it was shut down.. it was chaotic and too many rulebreakers was also one of the reasons it was shut down and never reopened.

I doubt either of them would want to start on a new server, if so its something the AO's will have to struggle with cus i doubt para would give perp another go!

Paralyzed moved on..
He's not that into SG anymore I believe :/

BoM
18 Jul 2014, 03:51pm
Uhm......

Moo Moo Viking
20 Jul 2014, 10:48pm
It took ton of work and had to be monitored 24/7 with an admin. When it started it was just a cluster fuck off people crying and some admins abusing later on people started to know the rules and it got better it was fun. Me and para i think where the most active people on there.

Katlin Rose still lives.

Dirk
20 Jul 2014, 11:04pm
build PR already has serious lag/rulebreaking issues. I feel like this would take more effort to run than anyone in a position to do so is willing to put into it. I also highly doubt it would operate smoothly, if at all.

Spyder
20 Jul 2014, 11:28pm
It took ton of work and had to be monitored 24/7 with an admin. When it started it was just a cluster fuck off people crying and some admins abusing later on people started to know the rules and it got better it was fun. Me and para i think where the most active people on there.

Katlin Rose still lives.

build PR already has serious lag/rulebreaking issues. I feel like this would take more effort to run than anyone in a position to do so is willing to put into it. I also highly doubt it would operate smoothly, if at all.

As with most popular servers, yes it does require an admin on most of the time.

But yes Dirk, that's why it will require a 2nd dedi to run on. It will also yes take a few admins to monitor it all day sadly.

Yeah, that's why all the SA's would have to be familiarized with the rules before being given powers on the server so that there wouldn't be all kinda of abuse like on BuildRP when it was launched, there were admins abusing god mode and noclip a lot.

XeNo
22 Jul 2014, 03:36am
All these "yeah it'll take up a lot of resources, but that's why you put it on a second dedi" comments are getting really obnoxious.

In case you haven't noticed, our donations aren't taking off and going 200% above every month anymore, WE DO NOT HAVE FUNDS FOR A SECOND DEDI.

Unless you plan on shelling out the $100+ for a second dedi every month yourself, this server isn't happening right now. Literally no other points matter on this topic, because they're all null if we can't even physically put up the server in the first place.

Zaraki
22 Jul 2014, 04:00am
Eventually, perp won't be the gamemod that attracts people..
If there's anything that could us back on top, it's CS:GO and a good amount of advertising :)

Tweezy
22 Jul 2014, 05:37am
Whenever we like it or not XeNo does make the fundamental point to what nobody is really seeing, even if we do manage to fix all the bugs and get PERP working with the new version of Gmod, we have nowhere to host it and not enough money to even get it up and running. As it is now PERP is too big of a thing for SG to have, and could stay that way indefinitely.

Nishok
23 Jul 2014, 09:28am

A whitelist doesn't block or stop DoS and DDoS attacks.

I did all that myself back then when we used to have a lot of DDoS attacks, hell most of which is still being blocked (huge IP-blacklist on our firewalls :P), doubt I would have the time to redo all this again once we get another Perp server with a possibility of another DDoS series.

And paying a company to do this instead? Sure, if we can find that chest with gold on the end of the rainbow, to pay them :)

Tweezy
23 Jul 2014, 11:53am

I did all that myself back then when we used to have a lot of DDoS attacks, hell most of which is still being blocked (huge IP-blacklist on our firewalls :P), doubt I would have the time to redo all this again once we get another Perp server with a possibility of another DDoS series.

And paying a company to do this instead? Sure, if we can find that chest with gold on the end of the rainbow, to pay them :)

Oh I know how much of a big task it would be. I reckon it would be possible to make a program which automatically blocks IP's for a certain amount of times depending on the bandwidth which is being used by the specific IP, maybe even a strike rule which permanently blocks IP's if they strike more then once. All theoretical though, not too sure where to start, would be a cool little project though!

And yeah, a bit chest of unlimited cash would be perfect

Nishok
23 Jul 2014, 01:08pm
Oh I know how much of a big task it would be. I reckon it would be possible to make a program which automatically blocks IP's for a certain amount of times depending on the bandwidth which is being used by the specific IP, maybe even a strike rule which permanently blocks IP's if they strike more then once. All theoretical though, not too sure where to start, would be a cool little project though!

And yeah, a bit chest of unlimited cash would be perfect

Sure, if only it was that easy.
That could ban random people or things that should never be banned. The connection list of IPs transferring data was huge, and a lot of IPs that were also heavy data users were things that shouldn't be touched.

Tweezy
23 Jul 2014, 02:16pm
Sure, if only it was that easy.
That could ban random people or things that should never be banned. The connection list of IPs transferring data was huge, and a lot of IPs that were also heavy data users were things that shouldn't be touched.

Don't get me wrong, I know how difficult and that it could be more of an issue then actually helping, but only if done wrong. Literally just a thought, haven't even got anything down on paper. Just brainstorming :)

Spyder
24 Jul 2014, 02:38am

Yes, i know but now that I've proofread what I posted I realized it doesn't make sense. What I was trying to get at is it would reduce the amount of minges/rule breakers if they had to sign up and be white listed to be able to join but obviously if you plan on breaking rules or DDoSing someone then you're gonna carry it out.

All these "yeah it'll take up a lot of resources, but that's why you put it on a second dedi" comments are getting really obnoxious.

If this is directed at me, I did not mean for it to come off like it's nothing. If it did, I apologize but it was not meant to be understood in that way.

Yes it would take a lot of extra funds to be able to go through with this and no we do not have the funds to pull this off. Everyone would have to be donating at least $10 a month to be able to put up the server.

Again like XeNo said, unless everyone can start donating regularly again this server won't be happening. It would have to be put on a second dedicated server because we're almost certain the current dedi we have would be unable to run because of the amount of resources it would take to run itself. But a dedi that can support a server of that magnitude would be too expensive for us to fund, therefore we can't go through with this.

Crazy Swede
24 Jul 2014, 04:20am
I have some contacts in the server business. So I could arrange something. But for that, I need to know the spec requirements for a dedi to run PERP on it without lag. So far, I have failed to find any answers for this.