PDA

View Full Version : The restriction of in-game items.

Sniper
14 Jun 2014, 05:25pm
So a lot of people are complaining of not being able to use in-game items without donating to gain access. Well, I found an article on Mojang's website laying out what can and can't be done concerning the monetisation of servers which can be found here: https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/.

In the article, it states that:

You are allowed to accept donations
You are allowed to accept donations from players. You can thank them publicly or in-game, but can’t give preferential treatment for donating. You are not allowed to restrict gameplay features in an attempt to make money.

So, restricting tnt and lava is against the EULA, and can't be restricted. The rest of the perks are fine as they are not restricting the in-game features. So please enable them, and if need be, ban those who grief with them.

Thanks for your time.

Nasu
14 Jun 2014, 05:35pm
Eh you can restrict them all you want. You just can't sell the access to them for money.

Mojang is a dumb shit company though and no way they're going to even try to enforce this rule. Especially when it's very reasonable to restrict tnt and lava from less trusted people.

Sniper
14 Jun 2014, 05:54pm
Restricting it is fine. It's the donating to unlock it part that's not allowed. If BoM and Silent wanted to, they could just restrict it altogether without it being against the EULA.

BoM
14 Jun 2014, 05:55pm
Eh you can restrict them all you want. You just can't sell the access to them for money.

Mojang is a dumb shit company though and no way they're going to even try to enforce this rule. Especially when it's very reasonable to restrict tnt and lava from less trusted people.

Basically what this guy said. By having supporter/being an active part of the community I find you generally more trusted. In the end member, or any basic rank that doesn't require putting in effort to earn will not have access to tnt or lava.

Feel free to discuss other options, but as of now this EULA crap isn't even being enforced nor have they gone into much detail. I am not jumping to conclusions or making changes to the perks currently.

When Mojang personally addresses me explaining what I am doing wrong, why its wrong, and how I should change it THEN I will consider changing it.

Sniper
14 Jun 2014, 06:11pm
Honestly, I'm fine with the current system. I'm just addressing what others are stating and I just don't want to see anything happen to the server. As an idea though, maybe use a system similar to the mem to reg system of where time on the forums/ amount of posts will unlock certain items. That way, new players have to contribute to the fourm and it brings new people to SG.

Sleggie
14 Jun 2014, 06:14pm
Basically what this guy said. By having supporter/being an active part of the community I find you generally more trusted. In the end member, or any basic rank that doesn't require putting in effort to earn will not have access to tnt or lava.

Feel free to discuss other options, but as of now this EULA crap isn't even being enforced nor have they gone into much detail. I am not jumping to conclusions or making changes to the perks currently.

When Mojang personally addresses me explaining what I am doing wrong, why its wrong, and how I should change it THEN I will consider changing it.

Yeah seriously. You should be free to do what you fucking want.

SilentGuns
15 Jun 2014, 03:39am
If mojang started going after small servers such as this then it would basically be the death of minecraft. I promise you that if we ever get shut down because of Mojang then we will move to one of their competitors.

We have never made a personal profit off of minecraft, all donations go towards next month or into reserve for future servers. Mojang is just trying to kill off minecraft server hosting companies by killing off customers - by doing this they can push realms. They are the ones being greedy.

Gator
17 Jun 2014, 09:42am
https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/